THE BROWNS BOARD

DRAFT DAY 2020 ! ! !

Tour2ma

6 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I said the same thing. The speed of the picks was great, wonder if they will consider the 10 minute time frame in the future.

Plus if I am not mistaken didn't the clock used to start for a team when the prior team's pick was announced? Last nite it was when the pick was turned in...

Unless the pick was sent out to all the teams immediately... and it well may have been... the time for teams to do deals would be both reduced and highly variable as I saw times on the clock ranging from 7 minutes down to 2 minutes when Roger read the pick.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

Me too!  Here's why.  Jedrick Wills was also the Tackle Joe Thomas picked for us in the NFL Channel's mock draft - despite the fact Andrew Thomas was also available at the time he did so. 

I get the feeling Joe was a consulting/influential part of Wills being "the top tackle on our board from the beginning" consensus within.

I would hope the Browns had Joe doing  some  film work for  them. 

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Normally I might agree, but this draft is very deep in OLs and very short on this kind of player. Now if their second pick is not OL ................well another story completely.😱

Regarding  those four OTs going  off the  the board  in the top half of the first round, too bad we don't have  Ghoolie to kick around  anymore.  Those GMs obviously  don't have  a clue. 😆😆😆

6 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

The young man, Fletcher, introducing the Browns' pick was a nice touch.

Agree, but I have to admit that I worried that this arrangement would influence any trade down decision...

... at least until I realized Fletch was pre-recorded... :)

Kid ought to do the coin toss at our home opener as well.

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

32. Jalen Johnson CB Utah.... 

lol... if it was Hurts at CB... that'd set the record for a ceiling projection...

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

This was one of the really great picks in the draft. He has so much ability catching out of the backfield and so many "getaway" moves in the open field and power to finish off the play. He is a perfect fit for Mahomes's style of play. They are going to be even better than last year with that pick alone.

That was one impressive highlight reel played at the pick....

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Yeah... until that Oline play catches up with them again like it did in the regular season.

I am predicting a break-out year for the Camster...

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Normally I might agree, but this draft is very deep in OLs and very short on this kind of player. Now if their second pick is not OL ................well another story completely.😱

Which Draft is that? The 2020 Draft?

There are some decent IOL to be sure, including a couple with great potential, but most are man/gap types and that's not KC's attack.

3 hours ago, alporcini said:

Larry. Where do you put the 1990 Chateau Montrose? That’s my benchmark. 

Sorry for the  draft OT Reply.....

I was lucky enough to get 6 bottles of the Montrose before the price went crazy. When you get to that level, it's nit picking and personal preference. A couple other 90s I liked better, Figeac and Beausejour. I thought the 90 Leoville Barton was equally as good. Many of the top '82s I'd rank higher. FWIW, I've never given the 90 Montrose Parker's perfect 100 rating each time I've  tried it. Close, no cigar.  :)

There's a  saying "there are no great wines, just great bottles of wine". When they get old, bottle variation becomes a factor. Probably the greatest wine I've ever been lucky enough to try was a 1959 Chateau Mouton Rothschild. It was at least 30 years ago, and I still remember it like it was yesterday. When they pulled the  cork, it was like someone opened a bottle of perfume and sprayed it across the room. You could smell it from 10 feet away.  One of the guys said it rated around 150 on a 100 point scale. Definitely a once in a lifetime experience. That's why millionaire collectors are willing to shell out a fortune in search of the exceedingly rare Holy Grail of winedom.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Plus if I am not mistaken didn't the clock used to start for a team when the prior team's pick was announced? Last nite it was when the pick was turned in...

Unless the pick was sent out to all the teams immediately... and it well may have been... the time for teams to do deals would be both reduced and highly variable as I saw times on the clock ranging from 7 minutes down to 2 minutes when Roger read the pick.

Technically, the clock starts on the team as soon as the other team officially submits their pick to the NFL people. If there is a trade, the clock restarts for the other team. It's always been that way. The reason things moved a little quicker is because we didn't have all the fluff interviews and on-stage with RG. For example, it looked as though the Browns pick came in super quick, but because of the delay for everything else I think the pick wasn't submitted until the 5 or 6 minute mark. I wish they would shorten it to 7 minutes in the first.

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It was talk to text.......so it was meant to be  JAX.    

But hell yea,  I like it... why not.  Naming a team The Jacks.    After Jack...or after the playing card. A lot better than some shitty team names

As a fan of the Browns, I'm not sure your should be chucking that boomerang shaped stone from your glass throne. 😅

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

lol... Go get it, Gipper...

image.png.b607494a4b53014c7ef90ed7e453c3a0.png

:) I'll take a case, thank you.  Actually when you buy a wine that old, you're buying a pig in a poke. All depends how it was stored. Wines follow a bell shaped curve, improve, stay at their peak, and then gradually decline. And no- they don't turn into vinegar, unless there was a bad cork. Sort of turn into an odd sherry instead, I've seen that a bunch of times. 

I would have loved to have been there (it was before my time) some estate sale guys found a major stash of great wines from the 1800s in a stone cold (40 degree) cellar in Glamis Castle in Scotland. Many were over 100 years old, and reports were they tasted just fine. BTW, if you have an unlimited wine budget, I'm fairly certain Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa has a few vintage Madeiras (they last almost forever) on the dessert menu in the range of $100+ bucks a one ounce taste that may be that old. 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Which Draft is that? The 2020 Draft?

There are some decent IOL to be sure, including a couple with great potential, but most are man/gap types and that's not KC's attack.

I'll defer to your knowledge and time taken to assess on that aspect of it. I have not studied them enough to give an informed opinion, but I still love that pick regardless. And if what you say is accurate, then it made no real difference since the kind of OLman you describe them needing is not there and this was the last pick in round 1.

Edit: Or was there one specifically still left @ 32?

19 minutes ago, hoorta said:

:) I'll take a case, thank you.

Houston has Pappas Steak House... great, $$$ steaks... legendary wine book... not a list, but literally a book of over 100 pages. It's mind-boggling.

Also mind-boggling? Their mark up... starts at 3x retail on the lower end and goes up for the exclusive stuff.

Anywho... was there one time reading the book thru to the most expensive listing... cause looking was free. I had to ask the waiter how many bottles of a $10,000 vintage had sold. He smiled and said they'd just sold out when some Houston based dot-com went public and the founder threw a close-the-restaurant party for his staff... something like 6 bottles.

My next question was how did the guy tip? He smiled even bigger and said, "Very well."

No memory of what the wine was, but I remember the price...

17 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'll defer to your knowledge and time taken to assess on that aspect of it. I have not studied them enough to give an informed opinion, but I still love that pick regardless. And if what you say is accurate, then it made no real difference since the kind of OLman you describe them needing is not there and this was the last pick in round 1.

Edit: Or was there one specifically still left @ 32?

I agree on the pick they made as well... and, yes, with only Ruiz off the board so far, the rest, including my 2 fav's are there... Muti and Lemieux.

IMO Muti can play in any scheme whereas Lemieux is strictly ZBS.

Don't get me wrong... there are other "good" IOL prospects, but all, including Lemieux, need some work on some facet of their games. Lemieux has to get stronger and improve his anchor, but he moves great. Others... even higher rated others than my guys... just need more work, e.g., tOSU's Jackson has plenty of anchor, but his run blocking needs work, Temple's Hennessy has frame issues and LSU's Cushenberry, an early fav of mine, showed tech and fluidity issues in later tape. Class had more fallers than risers. Part of the reason Muti's injury history became less objectionable to my mind.

I did not hear of or see any Day-3 types that show outsized promise, I.e., no Marpets this year.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

PFF had him #2 to Wirfs.... so that's a mixed endorsement if there ever was one. DraftScout had him #6 with a late 1st grade IIRC... site has crashed so can't verify ATM.While NFL.com graded him out at #5, but only a couple hundredths of a point (if you can believe that"precision") atop a 2nd tier group.

From the calves up he was overall the most polished OT I saw in this draft (Thomas' hands were better)... but again that just means high floor. Just makes Jones one of two OT "steals" left in the draft...

... and then there's Ezra... ;)

Exactly!   I'm glad you encouraged me with a video to make sure I check Jones out a little better. IMO, he's a better LT than 2 or 3 of the Tackles that were drafted yesterday. If you look at the thread I started about LT Faves - I ended up putting Jones 3rd (just behind Wills) and moved Peart up to #4 and you had a lot to do with that. 

I'm so glad we don't have to worry about Ezra.  I watched his matchup vrs FSU and couldn't have been less impressed. 

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

I'm so glad we don't have to worry about Ezra.  I watched his matchup vrs FSU and couldn't have been less impressed. 

Yes... competition level issues.

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I think you're correct there. If I recall the Oilers used up all 15 minutes years ago and lost their pick, or got pushed to the end of the round.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

I'm hoping one of the below will still be around at the #9 today.. go BPA..

Akeem Davis-Gaither -- add more athleticism to our LB room

Bryce Hall - DB who should add to our S room

Curtis Weaver - Edge

Biadasz/Kindley/Muti - OG

Peoples-Jones -- Make that WR room more athletic

They were all there I believe.  None were taken.

Something IIRC a reddit poster commented on a day or so ago...

Every WR in the film room that Landry went off on in Hard Knocks is gone.