THE BROWNS BOARD

DRAFT DAY 2020 ! ! !

Tour2ma

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I could also imagine the kid who couldn't refrain from smoking weed in the time leading up to the most important job interview in his life to balloon up to 400lbs, too. 

Eh, it’s pretty obvious nfl types don’t care as much about the weed. New bargaining agreement lowered bans specifically for it too.

to make it clear I did not want the browns to draft him. High as balls or not, that doesn’t change that 6’8 370 pound man could full speed run at you at a 5.1 pace. That’s a GTFO the way if he’s lead dog on a screen.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. Not surprising especially since I am sure that most teasms who talked to him at the Combine likely asked him how he felt about a move to LT... where 1st round OTs are generally tabbed to play.
  2. FIFY... no charge... ;)
  3. Hard to know if anything went on behind the scene, but it looks like MIA went for "upside" they thought they saw in the case of Jackson and TN saw in Wilson a man/gap guy bull-dozing for Henry. I still see Jones as having the higher floor, but he's not a scheme fit for TN. I think Jackson is going to get Fitz/Tua killed and while Wilson will blow open some holes he's going to get Tannehill dented a few times.
  4. The way things got scrambled up in the bottom half of Round 1... who knows? McKinney might fall thru us...

Edit... and Wirfs is going to supply TB12 with more "look out" blocks than he'll want.

Well said.  

Aside from Jones not being a scheme fit for TN, they're very happy with Taylor Lewan at LT.  I wouldn't understand the redundancy if they chose Jones.  TN lost their RT in FA to us so they drafted a RT (Wilson).  Makes sense...

My guess with Jones, isn't that he's raw (4 year starter at LT).  It could be the old school concerns of what type of competition was he up against most of the time. I think it's more than a coincidence that all of the 1st round Tackles came from the major Conferences (SEC, Big 10, Pac 12, ACC). Most of the teams with the urgency to draft a LT in round 1 seem to want an immediate starter. That said, Aus-tone Jackson seems like he's less polished than Jones IMO. 

In the 2 Draft Guides I have, Lindy's has Jones rated as the 9th best Tackle while Athlon's rates him as the 7th best (these guides merged RTs into their ratings so Isaiah Wilson was listed ahead of him in both publications). Both sources have Jones going in round 2.

The draft doesn't end on Thursday...  There's going to be a lot of successful players drafted tonight and tomorrow with no reason Jones can't be one of them.   FWIW, we've also found some Undrafted FAs that became reliable starters like LT Tony (T-Bone) Jones and RT Orlando Brown (the 1st time he was here).  When we used to make the playoffs, we did well in the later rounds.  For example, RT Cody Risien from TAMU in round 7 who was a Second Team All Pro in 83 and made Pro Bowls in 86 and 87.  The era we're in doesn't have as many buried treasures that late - but guys like Peart and Jones should be good draft picks for someone...

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I'm surprised at that one. I liked this draft - much faster.

Seems pretty consistent that character played a good part of the first round prospects drafted. A lot of great stories...

I'm not going to be surprised if Wills starts at LT - he's a great pick and has already been working on it. I'm good with that.

Second round- no idea. Safeties/lb/wr is my guess - might Mckinney fall to the Browns?

I said the same thing. The speed of the picks was great, wonder if they will consider the 10 minute time frame in the future.

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

image.png.40f2aa17447abf792ca77f757802e450.png

I know FO's say this all the time about whomever they take, but somehow I believe DePo.

Me too!  Here's why.  Jedrick Wills was also the Tackle Joe Thomas picked for us in the NFL Channel's mock draft - despite the fact Andrew Thomas was also available at the time he did so. 

I get the feeling Joe was a consulting/influential part of Wills being "the top tackle on our board from the beginning" consensus within.

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

image.png.40f2aa17447abf792ca77f757802e450.png

I know FO's say this all the time about whomever they take, but somehow I believe DePo.

When the "pick is in" went up I told my Son in Law that, as fast as they announced the pick was in, he HAD to be the Browns absolute #1 guy. I don't know WHEN I ever saw a quicker decision. The young man, Fletcher, introducing the Browns' pick was a nice touch.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Me too!  Here's why.  Jedrick Wills was also the Tackle Joe Thomas picked for us in the NFL Channel's mock draft - despite the fact Andrew Thomas was also available at the time he did so. 

I get the feeling Joe was a consulting/influential part of Wills being "the top tackle on our board from the beginning" consensus within.

When he did that I was very afraid he had tipped our hand and was sending Wills to another smart team before our pick. Must have been the ole double reverse psychology at work. 🤗

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

32. Jalen Hurts  CB  Utah.

32. Jalen Johnson CB Utah.... 

EDIT-- There are some great video phone player reactions out there, that I hope the nfl keeps moving these legit home video cameras around to next rounds..It's been great, but the media guys we've heard from for months, just ain't doing it for me anymore 🙄... Let these kids get a breather than let them speak.. The reaction of Joe Thomas reacting to Wills pick? Yep! I Cried in laughter 🤣

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Chiefs take  Clyde  Edwards-Helaire RB  LSU  with #32 pick.

This was one of the really great picks in the draft. He has so much ability catching out of the backfield and so many "getaway" moves in the open field and power to finish off the play. He is a perfect fit for Mahomes's style of play. They are going to be even better than last year with that pick alone.

Just now, TexasAg1969 said:

This was one of the really great picks in the draft. He has so much ability catching out of the backfield and so many "getaway" moves in the open filed and power to finish off the play. He is a perfect fit for Mahomes's style of play. They are going to be even better than last year with that pick alone.

Yeah... until that Oline play catches up with them again like it did in the regular season.

2 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Yeah... until that Oline play catches up with them again like it did in the regular season.

Like I said-the Mahomes style of play. He makes everything out of nothing and finds open receivers. When you win a SB that way, it kind of negates weaknesses doesn't it?🤩

7 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

This was one of the really great picks in the draft. 

why did i see another Mark Ingram flash after the Holaire pick..saying Big Trust 😂 ( damm i drank to much!)

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Like I said-the Mahomes style of play. He makes everything out of nothing and finds open receivers. When you win a SB that way, it kind of negates weaknesses doesn't it?🤩

No, it doesn't.   Sophomore starting year and he's already missing games regular season because of taking hits that his Oline allows.   Long term trends don't side with that style of play.  If KC feels their defense is adequate enough to get it done, then I'm cool with that.  But they would be wise to address their Oline Day 2.

7 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

No, it doesn't.   Sophomore starting year and he's already missing games regular season because of taking hits that his Oline allows.   Long term trends don't side with that style of play.  If KC feels their defense is adequate enough to get it done, then I'm cool with that.  But they would be wise to address their Oline Day 2.

I don't disagree with day 2 OL pick. I'm just saying this is a quick release safety valve who can do wonders in that role. Don't want the big hit? Get rid of it to him.

Besides we all know those big fatties are a dime a dozen don't we?🙄🤣

EDIT: That is why I hope we take a similar player in Duvernay of UT-Austin as our comp pick in the 3rd.

21 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

When he did that I was very afraid he had tipped our hand and was sending Wills to another smart team before our pick. Must have been the ole double reverse psychology at work. 🤗

That's hilarious Aggies!  Is that a younger Freddie Kitchens on the horse on his way to calling plays in Cleveland? 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I don't disagree with day 2 OL pick. I'm just saying this is a quick release safety valve who can do wonders in that role. Don't want the big hit? Get rid of it to him.

Besides we all know those big fatties are a dime a dozen don't we?🙄🤣

EDIT: That is why I hope we take a similar player in Duvernay of UT-Austin as our comp pick in the 3rd.

*Shudders at ghoolie*

I don't disagree with the strategy either.   But if ECE was drafted as a 3rd down back and extra receiving option, I question the value of taking him in the 1st round.    IOL could have been a pick there for them.     And you know Andy Reid, he LOVES his vertical shots.   Only way to secure that long term play style and preserve the health of your QB is to make sure he isn't taking unnecessary hits. 

Like I said, I get the philosophy. I just disagree on the placement of the pick is all.

2 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

*Shudders at ghoolie*😂

Like I said, I get the philosophy. I just disagree on the placement of the pick is all.

Normally I might agree, but this draft is very deep in OLs and very short on this kind of player. Now if their second pick is not OL ................well another story completely.😱

We have 8 viable lineman on the roster - guys that can start.  We traded picks for Teller and everyone wants a better guy at that spot.  Might be time to slow our roll with these sandwich eaters 

how many lineman will be active each week?  I think you may grab one late or do the Undrafted  free agent route and let a group of guys compete for the last spot 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

I actually own a bottle of that '90 Petrus Tour, and I do have a friends & family buyer for it that I'm selling it to at a discount. At $145 dollars an ounce, too rich for my blood. 

My opinion on that- I could enjoy it for an hour or so, or have it pay for my Browns season tickets. Not a tough decision. FWIW, I've been fortunate enough to be able to taste on several occasions (and not on my nickel) wines that were in the four figure range if they had been sold instead. Trust me, they weren't 10 times better than $100 dollar bottles, or in some cases not even better than $50 wines. At that rarefied level you're drinking rarity and "prestige". Or you're not too bright. A great example of that is "Ace of Spades" champagne owned by Jay Z. At $300+ bucks a bottle one expert taster said you could do as well for $70. 

On a personal level, I was asked to do a Christmas champagne tasting for the local American Wine Society. So I pulled Dom Perignon and Moet's one step down Vintage Brut- at 1\3 the price, served them side by side- but the folks didn't know which was which, or even the producer. Which do you like better? It split right down the middle- so at three times the price, wasn't worth it. I even have a name for it when I teach a wine class. Larry's Logarithmic Law of diminishing returns.  :)

Larry. Where do you put the 1990 Chateau Montrose? That’s my benchmark. 

41 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

We have 8 viable lineman on the roster - guys that can start.  We traded picks for Teller and everyone wants a better guy at that spot.  Might be time to slow our roll with these sandwich eaters 

how many lineman will be active each week?  I think you may grab one late or do the Undrafted  free agent route and let a group of guys compete for the last spot 

I don't know:   Our depth chart:

LT   Wills......Hubbard

LG  Bito....Malcolm Pridgeon

OC  Tretter.....Evan Brown

RG  Teller.....Drew Forbes

RT  Conklin....Hubbard  (double duty)

Right now on the roster also are Kendall Lamm, Colby Gosset and Willie Wright at spots along the OL.

Are any of you  fully and completely satisfied with this roster such that you believe that we do not lead to look any further at OL in this draft?  I can't really say that I think we are there.  

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I don't know:   Our depth chart:

LT   Wills......Hubbard

LG  Bito....Malcolm Pridgeon

OC  Tretter.....Evan Brown

RG  Teller.....Drew Forbes

RT  Conklin....Hubbard  (double duty)

Right now on the roster also are Kendall Lamm, Colby Gosset and Willie Wright at spots along the OL.

Are any of you  fully and completely satisfied with this roster such that you believe that we do not lead to look any further at OL in this draft?  I can't really say that I think we are there.  

I am.  And we threw a lot of cash and even some picks to get this unit to where it is right now.  I say no more 

i want some hungry undrafted FAs and maybe a 6th or 7th dueling it out for the last roster spot.  Truthfully do you see the #9 being active?  

We need defense badly.  The last month was a disgusting display of football.  Watch the Cardinal game or second Steeler game or the bengal game 

I don’t like any of our backers.  We have Redwine as 3rd safety. We have a DE that is going to be one more year (maybe) and he’s always hurt.

7 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I am.  And we threw a lot of cash and even some picks to get this unit to where it is right now.  I say no more 

i want some hungry undrafted FAs and maybe a 6th or 7th dueling it out for the last roster spot.  Truthfully do you see the #9 being active?  

We need defense badly.  The last month was a disgusting display of football.  Watch the Cardinal game or second Steeler game or the bengal game 

I don’t like any of our backers.  We have Redwine as 3rd safety. We have a DE that is going to be one more year (maybe) and he’s always hurt.

Well, no doubt,  to me, the safely and LB is what we gotta go get now. 

Backup  OL is now a much lower priority.

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

In the 2 Draft Guides I have, Lindy's has Jones rated as the 9th best Tackle while Athlon's rates him as the 7th best (these guides merged RTs into their ratings so Isaiah Wilson was listed ahead of him in both publications). Both sources have Jones going in round 2.

PFF had him #2 to Wirfs.... so that's a mixed endorsement if there ever was one. DraftScout had him #6 with a late 1st grade IIRC... site has crashed so can't verify ATM.While NFL.com graded him out at #5, but only a couple hundredths of a point (if you can believe that"precision") atop a 2nd tier group.

From the calves up he was overall the most polished OT I saw in this draft (Thomas' hands were better)... but again that just means high floor. Just makes Jones one of two OT "steals" left in the draft...

... and then there's Ezra... ;)