THE BROWNS BOARD

More Deep Thoughts with BrownsfaninPa

BrownsfaninPa

After Brian Sipe left the Browns, left handed QB Paul McDonald was our new starter. Basically 1984 was his only real playing time. It was a hideous season, and what I remember the most about 1984 was the different uniforms the team wore. I liked that basic style. A bold orange stripe with the home brown jersey with white pants and one wide orange stripe with 2 brown stripes. The white away jersey looked good with that stripe design as well. But as for the QB, it was one and done, same with the uniform, only one season of that design. I did like that design.

As a long time Browns fan, my favorite side of the ball is defense. Linebacker and defensive end are my favorite positions. Thinking back to 1979-1981 when Lyle Alzado was a member of the Browns. He was a wrecking machine, wicked, mean, and nasty. With is steroid use that possibly made him more than he really could have been, does he rate as a H.O.F. player?

1 hour ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

As a long time Browns fan, my favorite side of the ball is defense. Linebacker and defensive end are my favorite positions. Thinking back to 1979-1981 when Lyle Alzado was a member of the Browns. He was a wrecking machine, wicked, mean, and nasty. With is steroid use that possibly made him more than he really could have been, does he rate as a H.O.F. player?

No, he will never sniff the HOF.....even if the steroid thing was not an issue.  Good player.  But there are about a couple of dozen others that played similar to him (DE/DT/OLB)   that would be more deserving:

Julius Peppers, Hali Ngata, DeMarcus Ware, Jared Allen, JJ Watt, Jim Marshall, Justin Smith, Neil Smith, Clay Matthews,  Karl Mecklenberg, Patrick Willis, James Harrison...even; Ted Washington,  Luke Kuechley, John Abraham, Vince Wilfork, Leroy Jordan, Richard Seymour,  and others .

5 hours ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

I can't find anything on it, but I remember after he had gone to Oakland he took a shot at Rutigliano and Sipe. He had poked fun at Sam for telling Sipe he loved him after the Oakland loss. I remember him as very fierce. Played angry. Very angry. So angry he tossed a helmet at a Jets player I believe. Gee what is it with our players and helmets?lol Alzado, Rudd, and now Garrett... 

1 hour ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

That helmet incident you mentioned was from the RAIDERS-JETS playoff game, and the helmet was from chris ward?

lol... incident gave birth to the "Alzado Rule"... and, yes, it was Buckeye alum Ward.

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fa-football-life%2F0ap3000000432004%2FA-Football-Life-Lyle-Alzado-found-a-home-with-the-Oakland-Raiders

Lots of memories of Lyle, but of all things I'd forgotten that he once "boxed" Muhammad Ali.

the 84 uniforms were different , I liked the pant stripe design, 2 brown wide stripes with one wide orange stripe in the middle.  I liked them more than the more recent uniform we just got rid of. I didn't like the orange numbers on the home and away jerseys. I liked the BROWNS name on the pant legs, and the away white jersey would look so much better with brown numbers.

What's the latest on the M. Garrett issue from last season. That was really an ugly and disturbing display that took place with him and the Steelers QB. I know he was reinstated back in Feb, but will there be any thing charged to him ? Is he on probation so say?