THE BROWNS BOARD

2020 Browns Depth Chart

Zombo

On 8/19/2020 at 12:11 PM, Icecube said:

It seems like it. This means they need some vets to step up to provide leadership. It is a must. 

Yet the front office is not bringing in veteran LBs or OL to serve as back-ups. I just keep scratching my head at this. You know that back-ups will play a more important role this year, and the play of our linebackers so far is based on a hope. Not a good situation to be when we play the Ravens in just a few weeks and you want to contend, as was mentioned.

53 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

It's also... *Worth Mentioning;) we can take this link with a grain of salt with cut downs & a few possible additions? or just do this 🙈 till than...

https://cleveland.com/browns/2020/08/browns-depth-chart-2020-what-it-looks-like-after-the-first-week-of-training-camp.html   

after seeing 3 go down in last 5 days?..I'm requesting that Kareem Hunt get's Saturday practice off & let's get to working on? whom's in* between Lemay/D'ern Johnson & D Hilliard?

Looks like the risers so far have been Natson, WR/KR, Gustin DE, and M.J. Stewart in the nickle slot. Injuries are giving guys opportunities like Stewart and C Harris. And Harrison Bryant is getting a lot of reps for a rookie, nice to see.

Zombo

5 minutes ago, Barry said:

Yet the front office is not bringing in veteran LBs or OL to serve as back-ups. I just keep scratching my head at this. You know that back-ups will play a more important role this year, and the play of our linebackers so far is based on a hope. Not a good situation to be when we play the Ravens in just a few weeks and you want to contend, as was mentioned.

We've got two solid veteran backups in Lamm and Hubbard and the backup Center, Harris seems to be holding his own. Could be the kind of year where we sift through the veteran cuts to find a backup guard, there are always a few decent ones.

As for linebacker ... I don't know what the hell is going on, but obviously not a position of priority with the new staff.

Zombo

10 minutes ago, Zombo said:

We've got two solid veteran backups in Lamm and Hubbard and the backup Center, Harris seems to be holding his own. Could be the kind of year where we sift through the veteran cuts to find a backup guard, there are always a few decent ones.

As for linebacker ... I don't know what the hell is going on, but obviously not a position of priority with the new staff.

Zombo

That's true. I should have said OG. Given the attention the OL received by the FO to improve it, I am surprised they haven't brought in better quality guards to look at. But as you mention, it pales to the lack of attention the LB group has received.

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

posted a link that Big Rob, Bucks DT Robert Landers is coming in for a tryout today..thought you saw it👀 than deleted my buckeye homerism;) 

Nothing wrong with Buckeye hometown..... especially with no Buckeye football this year.

12 hours ago, Zombo said:

Looks like the risers so far have been Natson, WR/KR, Gustin DE, and M.J. Stewart in the nickle slot. Injuries are giving guys opportunities like Stewart and C Harris. And Harrison Bryant is getting a lot of reps for a rookie, nice to see.

Zombo

I guess am really bothered by losing Kevin Johnson:( anywhere.. He was pushing Greedy more than Ward, imho at Camp.. I've liked him for years since Wake Forest..MJ Steward, I also liked at Carolina..Did a little more looking & comparing with Money Mitch also in the slot...There all 6 foot..

MJ (200lbs) has 12 lbs more on KJ & 8 lbs more on T-mitch..They all ran 40's in 4.53's(that's not great for ankle breaking slot receivers)..MJ has over 3 inches more wingspan than T-Mitch.. 3-cones are huge in slots, due to all the quick's at slot WR.. MJ 6.90//T.Mitch 6.57👀...Steward's ain't bad while carrying that extra 8 lbs. of lumber over money Mitch...

They also have spoken highly of this kid CB-Donovan Obumba* if we had any depth to lose? Corner might have been the right spot? 

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

if we had any depth to lose? Corner might have been the right spot? 

Well, hopefully your KJ is not lost.  If he's as good as you like him to be then we could really use him.  We need somebody to push Greedy & Ward to work hard in the classroom and on the field.  Not to mention to be able to come in and play the position if one of 'em get hurt....which they tend to be kinda' fragile.

Updated 8/24 I have Mack Wilson and Kevin Johnson off the roster now due to injury, but Johnson should come back at some point, not to sure about Wilson. At Linebacker I see Takitaki and Phillips on the field most, competing for time with veterans Goodson and Smith.

QB B.Mayfield, C. Keenum, G. Gilbert, K. Davidson

FB/H-B A. Janovich, J. Stanton

RB  N. Chubb,  K. Hunt, D. Hilliard, D. Johnson, B. LeMay

WR1  O. Beckham,  J. NatsonD. Ratley, T.Taylor, K. Hodge, ,  J. Moore

WR2 J. Landry,  R. Higgins,  D. Peoples-Jones, D. Willis,  J. Bradley, D. Montgomery

TE  A. Hooper, D. Njoku, , H. Bryant , P. Brown, S. Carlson, 

LT J. Wills, , C. Hubbard, A. Taylor

LG J. Bitonio ,  M. Dunn

C J.Tretter , N. Harris, E. Brown

RG  W. Teller ,   W. Wright

RT J. Conklin,  , K. Lamm, B. Aiello

DE M. Garrett, P. Gustin, C. Thomas, 

DT  Ogunjobi,   E. Ankou, R. Walker

DT  S. Richardson, J. Elliott, D. Eukale,

DE O. Vernon,  A. Clayborn, R. McCray (C.Weaver)

MLB S. Takitaki, B.J. Goodson, T.Davis, T. Young

OLB  J Phillips, M. Smith,  W. Harvey S. Ajayi, M. Meander (M. Wilson)

CB D. Ward , T. Thomas, R. Jackson, D. Olumba

CB  G. Williams, T. Mitchell, D. Lewis, 

Slot  MJ Stewart, A. Green,(K. Johnson)

FS  R. Harrison, A.Sendejo, J. Moffat (G. Delpit)

SS  K. Joseph, S. Redwine,  JT Hassell, E. Benton

K A. Seibert

P  J. Gillan

LS Hughlett

KR  (J. Natson)(D. Johnson)  (R. Hilliard) 

PR  (D. Peoples-Jones)(J. Natson) 

Drop Njoku a spot - possibly two.

Gustin over Chad Thomas (a feeling)

CB and Slot are interchangable in some cases and you're leaving out other cases as well when we run big nickel.    Such as Delpit being the "slot" man. Grant won't be starting over Sendejo, barring last second miracle leap or injury.    Possible he takes some snaps away from Karl Joseph though in more 3cb nickel looks.  It's even possible you don't see Joseph on the field in dime looks if Grant and Mitchell are in.    

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

Just read that.  Grabbing his Achilles.

Welp, scratch him for the whole season now.

God. Damnit.  

That’s kind of a redshirt injury the following year too.  You are back but you aren’t fully back.

darn shame if it is The Achilles. 

1 minute ago, SdBacker80 said:

That’s kind of a redshirt injury the following year too.  You are back but you aren’t fully back.

darn shame if it is The Achilles. 

Yep, going to take you until mid 2021 to be remotely normal at least.   At lot of valuable snaps lost that mental reps simple can't replace.

I'll be real, this offense might be fun, if not very fun to watch.   Could quite easily duplicate a 7-9 record unless our secondary see's career years and we get surprise contributions from the young guys on the IDL.

17 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Drop Njoku a spot - possibly two.

Gustin over Chad Thomas (a feeling)

CB and Slot are interchangable in some cases and you're leaving out other cases as well when we run big nickel.    Such as Delpit being the "slot" man. Grant won't be starting over Sendejo, barring last second miracle leap or injury.    Possible he takes some snaps away from Karl Joseph though in more 3cb nickel looks.  It's even possible you don't see Joseph on the field in dime looks if Grant and Mitchell are in.    

Agreed on Gustin. Not agreed on Njoku.

On CB/Slot, yes interchangeable, but when I look at "starters" on D, I am looking at who will be getting most snaps ... 5 top DBs and 2 top LBs

The whole Grant/Sendejo point is moot now, and Mitchell may be one of our top 5 DBs, lots of banged up guys back there, so this is a fluid situation.

Z

• 2 weeks later...

My Final Projection

My toughest choices were Ratley/Hodge/Taylor final WR, Wright/Brown interior backup OL (I think we'll pick up a veteran there), Thomas/Jackson/ Olumba for final corner spot, and the numbers game at LB and DE , I ended up cutting both Harvey and former 3rd round Chad Thomas. But with the expanded and protected practice squad this does not necessarily mean the end for some of these Browns.

I know Joseph and Harrison are both strong safeties, but I see them on the field more than the top free safety, Sendejo.

Good luck today, Brownies!

WR1  O. Beckham,  J. NatsonD. Ratley, K. Hodge, T.Taylor,   

WR2 J. Landry,  R. Higgins,  D. Peoples-Jones, D. Willis,  J. Bradley

LG J. Bitonio ,  M. Dunn

DT  Ogunjobi,   E. Ankou

DE O. Vernon,  A. Clayborn, R. McCray 

CB  G. Williams, T. Mitchell, 

FS  R. Harrison, A.Sendejo, J. Moffat 

SS  K. Joseph, S. Redwine,  E. Benton

K A. Seibert

P  J. Gillan

LS Hughlett

5 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Also other teams' cut-downs may be decent stopgap options this season -- Broncos' Jeff Davis was their ILB starter the last few seasons, above 65 PFF.

Others' cuts at LB can have good tread left -- Demario Davis was a pro bowler last season in NO.

How/why did we let him go?  Demario Davis that is. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

How/why did we let him go?  Demario Davis that is. 

Davis drafted by NYJ, Browns signed him as FA and played one season then traded back to NYJ in a 1:1 for Calvin Pryor. Pryor got in a fight with Ricardo Louis in training camp, was released, and neither have played a down since. Davis was signed the next offseason by NO. Ricardo Louis did collect 500k last season on the Dolphins IR but was released on 9/1/20.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Davis drafted by NYJ, Browns signed him as FA and played one season then traded back to NYJ in a 1:1 for Calvin Pryor. Pryor got in a fight with Ricardo Louis in training camp, was released, and neither have played a down since. Davis was signed the next offseason by NO. Ricardo Louis did collect 500k last season on the Dolphins IR but was released on 9/1/20.

And who was the GM that made that beauty of a deal?

On 9/5/2020 at 8:03 AM, Zombo said:

My Final Projection

My toughest choices were Ratley/Hodge/Taylor final WR, Wright/Brown interior backup OL (I think we'll pick up a veteran there), Thomas/Jackson/ Olumba for final corner spot, and the numbers game at LB and DE , I ended up cutting both Harvey and former 3rd round Chad Thomas. But with the expanded and protected practice squad this does not necessarily mean the end for some of these Browns.

I know Joseph and Harrison are both strong safeties, but I see them on the field more than the top free safety, Sendejo.

Good luck today, Brownies!

WR1  O. Beckham,  J. NatsonD. Ratley, K. Hodge, T.Taylor,   

WR2 J. Landry,  R. Higgins,  D. Peoples-Jones, D. Willis,  J. Bradley

LG J. Bitonio ,  M. Dunn

DT  Ogunjobi,   E. Ankou

DE O. Vernon,  A. Clayborn, R. McCray 

CB  G. Williams, T. Mitchell, 

FS  R. Harrison, A.Sendejo, J. Moffat 

SS  K. Joseph, S. Redwine,  E. Benton

K A. Seibert

P  J. Gillan

LS Hughlett

The ones I missed:

Out: RB D. Hilliard In: TE S. Carlson

Out: WR D. Ratley In: WR K. Hodge

Out: G W. Wright In: C/G E. Brown

Out: CB A.J Green In: Hmmm, I must have had 54 guys.

Depth Chart as it stands today:

QB B.Mayfield, C. Keenum

FB/H-B A. Janovich

RB  N. Chubb,  K. Hunt,  D. Johnson

WR1  O. Beckham,  J. Natson K. Hodge

WR2 J. Landry,  R. Higgins,  D. Peoples-Jones 

TE  A. Hooper, D. Njoku, , H. Bryant , P. BrownS. Carlson 

LT J. Wills,  C. Hubbard 

LG J. Bitonio  

C J.Tretter , N. Harris

RG  W. Teller ,  E. Brown

RT J. Conklin,  , K. Lamm 

DE M. Garrett, P. Gustin  

DT  Ogunjobi,   E. Ankou 

DT  S. Richardson, J. Elliott

DE O. Vernon,  A. Clayborn

MLB S. Takitaki, B.J. Goodson, T.Davis

OLB  J Phillips, M. Smith,  (M. Wilson)

CB D. Ward , T. Thomas

CB  G. Williams, T. Mitchell 

Slot  MJ Stewart, (K. Johnson)

FS  R. Harrison, A.Sendejo, 

SS  K. Joseph, S. Redwine,  

K A. Seibert

P  J. Gillan

LS Hughlett

KR  (J. Natson)(D. Johnson)

One of those tight ends is going somewhere...

• Upvote 1

Good Job Z-man! Maybe, I could have helped ya out on K. Hodge? He's dropped nothing i saw on Browns Camp Daily👀. he has better football speed finding openings and may still be ahead of Higgins? All the trade rumors of Njoku I've read, lead to replacing Colts TE Tre Burton if IR'd..but the Colts brass says Burton will only miss 2 games... I still see a players bubble that may go something like this?

Possible IR's? M.Wilson//K.Johnson//MJ Steward//Greedy?// T Alex Taylor waived injured maybe a late rookie IR stash?

Bubble? Jojo Natson//Carlson or P.Brown if Nojoke stays?//Evan Brown//Eli Ankou or slim but, Jordan Elliott may get to PS?/////*Tre Davis//*Tav.Thomas//maybe even *Redwine? (*a dorsey thing?)

I still kinda scratch my head on all the back-end guys coming back from injuries & than still cutting Olumba... but, they got to know much more than us 💡...