THE BROWNS BOARD

Shelter-in-place Poll

This is all over the net but I picked Reuters so nobody could gripe about the source.

Looks like it's time for us as a nation to just STFU about constitutional rights.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll-idUSKCN22336P

But I'm libertarian enough to accept that some people should be able to choose to stay inside their homes for the next 12 to 18 months if they so choose. I do suspect that a great deal of those haven't been off the couch for a long time anyway.

WSS

And here is a non-blaming, non-political reasonable proposal for testing that could lead to eventual lifting of closures. I personally believe that, with the usual Darwinian exceptions, most people have learned how to stay reasonably safe and reasonably distant from others. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/were-testing-the-wrong-people/610234/

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And here is a non-blaming, non-political reasonable proposal for testing that could lead to eventual lifting of closures. I personally believe that, with the usual Darwinian exceptions, most people have learned how to stay reasonably safe and reasonably distant from others. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/were-testing-the-wrong-people/610234/

I like that it is a non blaming non political article but that seems like a monumental amount of testing but I agree we are many times testing the wrong people. Of course if you do label anyone with any symptoms of covid19 as actually being covid19 (without knowing for sure) the numbers we use for data of covid19 cases will be skewed

The article though hits on the real problem with the spread of the virus and that are the carriers without symptoms. One thing we can do right away without taking many months to implement to combat those carriers without symptoms would be a requirement we all have to wear masks when in public places meeting with other people. I haven't been wearing a mask when going into stores but I am going to from now on. I don't have any expectations it would help me not get the virus but at least I would know if I was a carrier without symptoms I was doing what I could not to give it to anyone else.

The crisis emergency is subsiding in places. Go back to near...normal in NYC? nope. The more I look at this map, it looks like going back to near...normal is soon to be the right course. You have to go to the link - I can't get the map to come here... but it's okay libs, it's CNN so it won't hurt you... lol

It looks like a lot of the country can ease stay at home orders, ...but still be careful of actions that might spread any occurrence of the virus. Like shaking hands won't get back to normal for a long time... requiring bathrooms,showers at... truck stops/camping areas etc be sanitized a lot more often. Even if you have a tiny bit of a cough - wear a mask. Cold- stay at home.

But there are some parts of the country that should not "go back to near normal" by their own choice.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-us-maps-and-cases/

now, for whatever reasons - unhealthy homeless? too many people in one place?

The "why" is yet to be determined... but folks, the top dramatically most damaged states.....

are heavily democrat. Bit cities.. NY, NY, MASS, CALI, Penn at times, ILL, MICH... and the numbers keep going down from there.

Covid19 doesn't lay around for years, it dies over 6? days. I just spreads and spreads. (damn china and the who for their blatant lies...look at the damage to the world)...

Cases …per 100K residents Deaths …per 100K residents
New York 258,589 1,329 19,118 98
New Jersey 92,387 1,040 4,753 54
Massachusetts 41,199 598 1,961 28
California 35,845 91 1,326 3
Pennsylvania 35,339 276 1,614 13
Illinois 33,059 261 1,468 12
Michigan 32,967 330 2,700 27
Florida 27,869 130 867 4
Louisiana 24,854 535 1,405 30
Texas 20,975 72 545 2
Connecticut 20,360 571 1,423 40
Georgia 20,166 190 818 8
Maryland 14,193 235 652 11
Ohio 13,725 117 557 5
Indiana 12,097 180 635 9
Washington 11,997 158 644 8

2 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

The crisis emergency is subsiding in places. Go back to near...normal in NYC? nope. The more I look at this map, it looks like going back to near...normal is soon to be the right course. You have to go to the link - I can't get the map to come here... but it's okay libs, it's CNN so it won't hurt you... lol

It looks like a lot of the country can ease stay at home orders, ...but still be careful of actions that might spread any occurrence of the virus. Like shaking hands won't get back to normal for a long time... requiring bathrooms,showers at... truck stops/camping areas etc be sanitized a lot more often. Even if you have a tiny bit of a cough - wear a mask. Cold- stay at home.

But there are some parts of the country that should not "go back to near normal" by their own choice.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-us-maps-and-cases/

now, for whatever reasons - unhealthy homeless? too many people in one place?

The "why" is yet to be determined... but folks, the top dramatically most damaged states.....

are heavily democrat. Bit cities.. NY, NY, MASS, CALI, Penn at times, ILL, MICH... and the numbers keep going down from there.

Covid19 doesn't lay around for years, it dies over 6? days. I just spreads and spreads. (damn china and the who for their blatant lies...look at the damage to the world)...

Cases …per 100K residents Deaths …per 100K residents
New York 258,589 1,329 19,118 98
New Jersey 92,387 1,040 4,753 54
Massachusetts 41,199 598 1,961 28
California 35,845 91 1,326 3
Pennsylvania 35,339 276 1,614 13
Illinois 33,059 261 1,468 12
Michigan 32,967 330 2,700 27
Florida 27,869 130 867 4
Louisiana 24,854 535 1,405 30
Texas 20,975 72 545 2
Connecticut 20,360 571 1,423 40
Georgia 20,166 190 818 8
Maryland 14,193 235 652 11
Ohio 13,725 117 557 5
Indiana 12,097 180 635 9
Washington 11,997 158 644 8

I defy the scientists to look at these figures weigh each state by their level of lockdown oh, the times they ordered the lockdowns and or responsiveness of those in the states to the lockdowns. Then draw me a good correlation about the ratio of deaths per 100,000. Also at what point during the breakout did the Europeans decide to lock down their citizens? Would that be before or after the majority of the damage had been done?

WSS

Ironic that Texas is in a relatively high state for total deaths, but my county by implementing an early stay at home reasonable policy has had 4 deaths, whereas one of my brothers who lives in Weld county Colorado (not even in that list above) has had 69 deaths with 5 times more confirmed cases with a smaller population (324,500 vs. 546,000). We started earlier.

EDIT: Correction-as of this morning they have had 7.5 X's as many cases.

12 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I like that it is a non blaming non political article but that seems like a monumental amount of testing but I agree we are many times testing the wrong people. Of course if you do label anyone with any symptoms of covid19 as actually being covid19 (without knowing for sure) the numbers we use for data of covid19 cases will be skewed

The article though hits on the real problem with the spread of the virus and that are the carriers without symptoms. One thing we can do right away without taking many months to implement to combat those carriers without symptoms would be a requirement we all have to wear masks when in public places meeting with other people. I haven't been wearing a mask when going into stores but I am going to from now on. I don't have any expectations it would help me not get the virus but at least I would know if I was a carrier without symptoms I was doing what I could not to give it to anyone else.

I think we are doing pretty good in our county - people wear masks, some people don't - plastic shields are in place for most cashiers..

I have always worn a mask, but don't use the nitrile gloves anymore- I just use hand sanitizer/bleach wipes as soon as I get back to the car....etc. Used a couple kleenex to handle the gas pump...have backup clothes when I get home, toss my worn clothes into the washing machine, and literally use bleach wipes to clean all the packages, wash all the fruit in strong vinegar water with a few drops of bleach..with skins like bananas oranges etc. I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinkin the best way to wash grapes. lol

This virus can float in the air for far, far longer than a regular flu virus. It attaches itself to cells in the lungs if I was understanding correctly - listening to a dr on the radio. Just wash your hands and clothes. Wear a hat, or take a shower when you get home.

My opinion, I wear a mask to try to be sure not to inhale this crap. My goal is to never bring anything home. and I try to change masks often, and put them into the wash with bleach. They are pretty flimsy after that, though.

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ironic that Texas is in a relatively high state for total deaths, but my county by implementing an early stay at home reasonable policy has had 4 deaths, whereas one of my brothers who lives in Weld county Colorado (not even in that list above) has had 69 deaths with 5 times more confirmed cases with a smaller population.

Yes, it is. Wife's Dad is 97, and they are doing great in assisted living. Her brother in Ft. Worth can't visit him yet, though. He thought it amusing that he either could see her on facetime, or hold it up to his ear... they should have turned the speaker on? lol.

I do question why - the amount of illegals? The heat? I saw a blurb somewhere that this virus does well in hot climates. I believe a lot of the country has to ease restrictions, educate people as to how to go back to normal, except going normal things in terms of not spreading a virus around.

We're a free country - we obeyed, we stayed at home, but we won't give up our freedom - we just stayed home on our own.

There no "new normal" where that isn't voluntary. Arresting somebody because they go for a walk? not in America you don't.

I suppose liberals will start figuring to be a lot more dedicated to our Constitution/Bill of Rights these days.

8 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I think we are doing pretty good in our county - people wear masks, some people don't - plastic shields are in place for most cashiers..

I have always worn a mask, but don't use the nitrile gloves anymore- I just use hand sanitizer/bleach wipes as soon as I get back to the car....etc. Used a couple kleenex to handle the gas pump...have backup clothes when I get home, toss my worn clothes into the washing machine, and literally use bleach wipes to clean all the packages, wash all the fruit in strong vinegar water with a few drops of bleach..with skins like bananas oranges etc. I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinkin the best way to wash grapes. lol

This virus can float in the air for far, far longer than a regular flu virus. It attaches itself to cells in the lungs if I was understanding correctly - listening to a dr on the radio. Just wash your hands and clothes. Wear a hat, or take a shower when you get home.

My opinion, I wear a mask to try to be sure not to inhale this crap. My goal is to never bring anything home. and I try to change masks often, and put them into the wash with bleach. They are pretty flimsy after that, though.

We put the masks out in the sun inside a sealed sandwich bag to insure the temp goes way up in direct sunlight. But since we don't go out much now with doorstep delivered groceries, we just don't use them except to go for takeout. Then everything gets poured onto paper plates and all containers go directly into trash bin. Home delivery goes through a similar process with anything we don't need that is non-perishable going into the garage where the heat is higher that the outdoors this time of year. Leave it a few days before retrieval. Lysol wipes for everything going into the fridge, then a thorough hand washing before anything else.

1 minute ago, Gorka said:

I changed my original response to the image bozo.

Why are you so cavalier about people who are suffering?

Did I say I wanted 250,000 people to die while I open presents? Try to be a bit more logical there bozo.🤡

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Why don't you ask him, because that was the implication once he did the calculations.

So the implication you got from Hoorta was that he wanted 250000 to die?  So now you sit in judgement of his thoughts. 

You're the one implying shit.

Ya know, implying you are a douchebag comes pretty damn close to saying that you're a douchebag.

But you didn't just imply,  you accused board members of showing a dismissive attitude toward the suffering of others.

And saying that 250,000 is acceptable is not cavalier?

It just reflects the cavalier attitude I'm hearing on the board.

Ring a bell?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gorka said:

Did Hoorta say he wanted 250000 people to die bozo?

No I didn't- at least I don't think I said anything like that.....   

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Why don't you ask him, because that was the implication once he did the calculations.

Hmmmm.... my only calculation would run like this- 42,000 deaths in three months.  With nine more months in the year- equals about 160,000 deaths. Roughly 6% of the total deaths in the United States. Some here have pointed out the CDC wants listing covid as the primary cause of death even if it was just a contributing factor. RE: some of those nursing home deaths-  you can't list "old age" as a cause of death on a certificate.  :)   And admit it- in some places- notably Ohio, the curve IS flattening....  I do think saying there's going to be a million dead is a major overreach. How many more covid deaths are acceptable? I don't know, you pick a number between one and a million. 

I'm sorry Ag- there's going to be more deaths when the country opens up. Preventable if we stayed locked down? Sure. You can stay bunkered down if you wish- but it's getting more apparent by the day- the general opinion is we've played the isolation game long enough, let's see what happens now. 

I'm not one of the sign waving zealots- but it hasn't stopped me from doing stuff that the good governor says is OK to do. Picked up a very nice 4 year old Bottled in Bond New Riff 100 proof 100% rye at the beverage store yesterday. I may start slamming it if Berry trades down tomorrow. :D  My only concession to covid is I wipe my credit card down with hand sanitizer and my hands every time I use it at the store. FWIW, I'm heading out now to pick up a prescription for my wife.  

• Upvote 1

for the most part, I believe here in Ohio we have done a great job. No overreach stupidity by our Governor (Republican, of course)...

I just heard on Hannity - on the radio - a prominent dr says this virus has morphed ? into different strains - the one in New York came from a worse one - from Europe - as compared to the not as bad one on the west coast.

30 different strains so far? That's what he said they are finding out.

I don't know - seems like it's going to be tough to come up with a vaccine.

It may be a natural virus, but it sure acts like a bio-weapon on the loose.