THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Burrow called Peyton Manning for rookie year advice:....... 'It's a marathon, not a sprint'

mjp28

Joe Burrow called Peyton Manning for rookie year advice: 'It's a marathon, not a sprint'

Liz Roscher
Yahoo SportsApril 19, 2020, 2:44 PM EDT

The 2020 NFL draft is just days away, and the projected No. 1 pick, LSU quarterback Joe Burrow, is starting to prepare himself for life as a professional football player. The 2019 Heisman Trophy winner was looking for advice, so he picked up the phone and called another No. 1 overall draft pick — who also happens to be an NFL Hall of Famer.

Peyton Manning talked about the phone call he got from Burrow on Sunday’s “SportsCenter.” Burrow appeared at the Manning Passing Academy camp last summer, so the two know each other and have stayed in touch. Manning had a lot of advice for Burrow, who needs to be ready to face adversity as his career begins.

Earlier on @SportsCenter, Peyton Manning said he talked to Joe Burrow about the difficulty of going to team fresh off the No. 1 pick and learning throughout one's rookie year.

Embedded video

He called me about some of the things that I tried to do as a rookie that maybe he can apply to his NFL career. Looks like it's going to be with the Cincinnati Bengals. Look what I told him, I said, 'Joe if you're the first pick in the NFL draft you are going to a team that has really earned the first pick in the NFL draft. There are going to be some holes there. And there's a reason the Colts were picking No. 1 that year. There's a reason the Bengals are picking No. 1 this year. The Giants when they had Eli...'

“For him, I tried to tell him it’s a marathon, not a sprint. I lost more games my rookie year than my entire high school and college career combined. I threw 26 interceptions. That’s still an NFL record, and if Joe wants to break that, I’d be OK with that, we’d still be friends.

"I tried to learn a lot that year, I played every game and learned some things in those fourth quarter blowouts about what it took to have success in this league. So that’s what I encouraged and relayed to Joe is that your rookie year isn’t going to be the same as your senior year in college. If you learn how fast these defensive backs are, how soon you have to get rid of the ball and understand defenses, then you can really get it going the year or two after that."

Manning knows what he’s talking about. The Indianapolis Colts went 3-13 in his first season after going No. 1 overall in the 1998 draft. Adding him didn’t change things overnight. Manning emphasized that Burrow should be ready to learn from everything he sees and experiences, and he shouldn’t judge himself too harshly after his first season.

That first year of struggle and learning paid off for Manning. In 1999 he led the Colts to a 13-3 record and an appearance in the playoffs. Could there be a better goal for Burrow to have, or a better lesson for him to learn? No matter what happens in his rookie year, it doesn’t have to define him.

More from Yahoo Sports:

Probably the best person Joe B could get would be from Peyton who was a professional football player and full time business person up there with Michael Jordan.

Joe will be wealthy beyond his wildest dreams before he even goes to rookie camp.  The future monies can be in excess of his football salaries.

He is also is inheriting a lousy Bengals team and everything else that goes along with that.   Look at Baker, decent rookie campaign and dismal year two.......and made what $33.5M  plus a boatload of other percs.

Good luck Baker and Joe Ohio awaits you both !

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Probably the best person Joe B could get would be from Peyton who was a professional football player and full time business person up there with Michael Jordan.

Joe will be wealthy beyond his wildest dreams before he even goes to rookie camp.  The future monies can be in excess of his football salaries.

He is also is inheriting a lousy Bengals team and everything else that goes along with that.   Look at Baker, decent rookie campaign and dismal year two.......and made what $33.5M  plus a boatload of other percs.

Good luck Baker and Joe Ohio awaits you both !

Manning came into a tough situation, but all that said, he personally contributed to most of those losses in Indy; he was a turnover machine. His best advise should be: "Don't throw pics, those lead to losses." Honestly, that's the best advice he can give Joe. Manning was a turnover machine as a rookie. 

8 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The best thing Peyton could do for Joe Burrow would be to have his dad Archie demand that Joe get traded to a real football organization, like he did for Eli. 

Probably true. My late Brother in law lived outside Cinci & he always said there is no hope for the Bengals until Mike Brown is gone.

Mike

2 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Probably true. My late Brother in law lived outside Cinci & he always said there is no hope for the Bengals until Mike Brown is gone.

Mike

That's why I had a much higher regard for Marvin Lewis than most on here do. 

Considering that organization, he performed miracles. 

Considering the Weapons & OL Baker had his rookie TD passing record season....Is Joe Burrow in any worst shape roster wise with Natty, than what Baker had to work with on our offense? And Burrow maybe only allowed to play the same amount of games? am thinking it's fairly close