THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Draft Week

The Gipper

Here is this week's Survey.  Give your answers/opinions:

1. Who was the best draft choice the Browns have made in the last 20 years   (say since 1999)

2. Who was the worst draft choice the Browns made the last 20 years?  (since 1999)

3. Some draft prospects have had issues with questionable drug tests.     Is that still an issue with you?

4. Are you looking forward to the upcoming draft  being conducted without all the hoopla that has become associated with them the last few years, with them going all over the country?

5. The XFL  has died.....again.   Before finishing the season.   Filed Bankruptcy....and will not return.   Thoughts about that?

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

1. Who was the best draft choice the Browns have made in the last 20 years   (say since 1999)

Joe Thomas

2. Who was the worst draft choice the Browns made the last 20 years?  (since 1999)

Justin Gilbert

3. Some draft prospects have had issues with questionable drug tests.     Is that still an issue with you?

Yes, as it makes me question their intelligence & decision making.

4. Are you looking forward to the upcoming draft  being conducted without all the hoopla that has become associated with them the last few years, with them going all over the country?

I am. This draft will be very interesting.

5. The XFL  has died.....again.   Before finishing the season.   Filed Bankruptcy....and will not return.   Thoughts about that?

I'm not surprised.

Mike

1a Thomas   and 1b may ultimately prove out even better if the Browns finally turn into a contender - that would be Garrett.

3 way tie-JFF, Gilbert & Coleman.

If two equally good players are right there on the board-I go with the clean one. Too many "dirty" Browns have failed too many times.

They could do upside down backwards vids for all I care. I like watching who gets picked in what order and by whom.

COVID-19 gave it the coup de gras. I would like to have seen it succeed, but glad the NFL is expanding roster size so the best will still be somewhere.

Baker Mayfield

Justin Gilbert

Performance enhancing? No

I'd rather have the hoopla, but still looking forward to it.

Quit trying.

Andra Davis... every other pick I can think of was a 1st or 2nd rounder, and those are supposed to be good... Davis was a Day 3 guy who gave us a half-dozenish very good years as the Mike in both even and odd-man fronts. Guy was a tone setter for our D vs. the run and was no slouch vs. the pass.

I know JFF has to be the popular choice here, but for me it's gotta be Wheezy. At least Johnny provided a fleeting spark, a grudging hope while Wheezy came with a sense of doom born out of the palpable panic that drove The Walrus to draft him...

Koo-koo-kascrew...

Yes, but only because of the clear lack of self-discipline a failed test brings with it. As has been stated here by more than me, the NFL drug program has been the most user friendly program I know of... yet idiots fall victim to it year after year after...

Oh... there will be "hoopla"...

It was back? Given that it produced a few prospects for the "Major League", I expect it will be back in some version. The NFL needs a minor league... maybe now more than ever given the roster expansion under the new CBA.

My own answers: 

So far:   Joe Thomas.   Hopefully in the future it will be proven to be  Mayfield/Garrett  (leading us to multiple playoffs, hopefully). 

And I like what Tour did with this:   giving us the best "value" pick....someone from lower rounds that stepped up.  In addition to  Andra Davis,  I think also that Ataybha Rubin could fit into this. 

To quote  Colonel Kurtz:  "The Horror, the horror".    So many to choose from.   I think it could be Courtney Brown...given that he was a #1 overall.  Beyond that a multi-way tie between the #22s  JFF/Quinn/Weeden and Gilbert...and a number of other not too far behind. 

It does depend on what it is.   Hard street drugs would be most concerning (cocaine/H etc.).   PEDs of secondary consideration (everyone is doing it?).  Weed. Very slightly.  Like some said......if there is a somewhat of a tie between a guy that was positive for it, and one who was not, preference may come down on the side of the "clean" player, just for the judgment/intellect part of it. 

I am.  It will be throwback time to when the draft was conducted strictly on the phone, and the TV coverage will be straight football talk.  That given...I only want that for one year.   I want the Hoopla back when it is scheduled to come here next year. 

My thoughts are basically threefold:    A. Good.  Fuck Vince McMahon, fuck his phony WWE sport, and his Nazi sympathizer ways.   B.  Not good for the players who that league gave jobs and opportunities to.  and most importantly:

C.  Why do not the ignorant, greedy, stupid NFL owners just form their own fucking Minor League instead of relying on others to try to put minor leagues together on their own dimes.  Just do what they did with the NFL Europe,  but but bring it home to the US. Just call it AAA football, or something. The NFL needs to fund it and operate it.  They have plenty of fucking money to do so....but they are just cheap ass motherfuckers. (except they could actually make money from it).   Form a 10-12 team league.....give minimal salaries....let them play in the spring, or fall....and put them in minor league cities that would likely support them.  You don't have to have fancy stadiums.   Louisville,  Birmingham, Canton;  Salt Lake  El Paso,  Knoxville,  Fresno,  Tuscon,  Omaha; Hartford.  OAKLAND!!  That sort of thing.  

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Joe was great...but what about Alex Mack. Wasn’t exactly the most popular pick but he was just voted all decade team. 

2. Who was the worst draft choice the Browns made the last 20 years?  (since 1999).

the whole Jet trade down for a bunch of washed up stiffs back in 08 or 09 was awful.  

Yes.  It goes to the questionable choices area.  We have seen a lot of stupid football over the past decade and we drafted some knuckleheads that make poor choices.  We need smarter guys on and off the field.

i don’t care either way.

Can we learn that people need a slight break from football. 

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Joe Thomas

Johnny Manziel, by a mile. Ended up like a "trickle down" economic plan, as it basically killed a front office, coaching staff, and fans' spirit. Ended up from 6-3 and leading the AFC North to 7-9 and 1-31.

Not really.

Yes

I was liking it a bit, something to watch so yeah I'm bummed.

Joe was great...but what about Alex Mack. Wasn’t exactly the most popular pick but he was just voted all decade team. 

Yes....absolutely one of our better picks.  Not as good as JT, but good. 

2. Who was the worst draft choice the Browns made the last 20 years?  (since 1999).

the whole Jet trade down for a bunch of washed up stiffs back in 08 or 09 was awful.  

Was that the "Beau Bell" year? 

Yes.  It goes to the questionable choices area.  We have seen a lot of stupid football over the past decade and we drafted some knuckleheads that make poor choices.  We need smarter guys on and off the field.

i don’t care either way.

I can go with that.  I still think they can use a "minor league: ....just play in the fucking fall....in areas I suggested above" 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yes....absolutely one of our better picks.  Not as good as JT, but good. 

Was that the "Beau Bell" year? 

i don’t care either way.

I can go with that.  I still think they can use a "minor league: ....just play in the fucking fall....in areas I suggested above" 

We actually picked ALEX Mack after that trade.  My bad.  

I had a problem with the haul on that one Probably could have gotten more though 5 to 17 nets just a 2nd round pick and a few depth guys. 

good thing we picked Mack at 17

1. Who was the best draft choice the Browns have made in the last 20 years   (say since 1999)    Joe Thomas.

2. Who was the worst draft choice the Browns made the last 20 years?  (since 1999)   Trent Richardson.

3. Some draft prospects have had issues with questionable drug tests.     Is that still an issue with you?   No, I had nothing to do with it in every case.

4. Are you looking forward to the upcoming draft  being conducted without all the hoopla that has become associated with them the last few years, with them going all over the country?   Like a little kid on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa Claus to deliver...

5. The XFL  has died.....again.   Before finishing the season.   Filed Bankruptcy....and will not return.   Thoughts about that?  It lasted a lot longer than it should have...

On 4/20/2020 at 12:02 AM, The Gipper said:

YEP, JOE THOMAS! 

HMMM...SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM...

JUSTIN GILBERT  BY FAR 

ITS A YELLOW FLAG BUT NOT A RED FLAG.

AS WAS SO ELOQUENTLY SAID..LIKE A KID AT CHRISTMAS! 

I AM REALLY BUMMED ABOUT THIS. I REALLY LIKE IT! 

GO BROWNS!!!