THE BROWNS BOARD

Trent William's for a 3rd round pick...?

darren15

This OT class has the numbers... just not the polish... but then college programs don't polish OL play anymore. 2020 is about as loaded as an OT class gets these days.

While there's no refined, "elite" prospect near the level Joe was when we drafted him, there are a bunch of really good prospects making 2020 the strongest OT class since probably '06. That class made up for a light 1st round with a strong Day 2 and even a couple surprises on Day 3.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

And we can’t add a guard using the five other picks, Udfa or cuts what makes guard so special when we are paying two interior lineman big $$$ and we just traded for another who played reasonably well.

insurance what if pick ten sucks

2 hours ago, Icecube said:

Wirfs, Wills, Becton, Thomas, Josh Jones and Ezra Cleveland are all likely to go in the 1st round, 4 of them in top 10. Do you recall another draft this stacked with LTs? I don't. Not even close. Cleveland is in position to grab a Thomas, who is real good. 

I have seen no one rate Ezra as a first rounder.....not saying it isn't possible....just haven't seen him being rated that high or mocked to go that high. 

Redskins OT Trent Williams: 7 reasons the Browns should trade for him

1. They’d be getting the closest thing to Joe Thomas

2. Browns OL coach Bill Callahan knows and likes him

3. The trade compensation might be reasonable

4. The leadership is invaluable

5. He’s healthy

6. A Williams trade could facilitate a move down from No. 10

7. They could swing it financially

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/04/redskins-trent-williams-7-reasons-the-browns-should-trade-for-him.html

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ATOM said:

i am gonna double down take a tackle at ten and then with are next pick take another linemen 

1) you never quite know if ine will bust

2)we still have a need at rg

Yea, but, did you see our LB corps?  Frightening.....second only to LT as a priority. 

Just now, The Gipper said:

Yea, but, did you see our LB corps?  Frightening.....second only to LT as a priority. 

I plan on scoring a 100 points a game so lb will we irrelevant 

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Redskins OT Trent Williams: 7 reasons the Browns should trade for him

1. They’d be getting the closest thing to Joe Thomas

2. Browns OL coach Bill Callahan knows and likes him

3. The trade compensation might be reasonable

4. The leadership is invaluable

5. He’s healthy

6. A Williams trade could facilitate a move down from No. 10

7. They could swing it financially

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/04/redskins-trent-williams-7-reasons-the-browns-should-trade-for-him.html

All sounds good.  Some say he is a malcontent....but it seems his only discontent is being stuck in DC  (though I am sure he would want more money).   

I assume any delay is the "compensation" issue.     I don't want to give up  a first and 2d rounder......but I may give up a  3rd and a 7th. 

1 minute ago, ATOM said:

I plan on scoring a 100 points a game so lb will we irrelevant 

Well, the most any team ever scored in a single NFL game has been 73 pts.    Let's say that the Browns score  60 on average.

Still, somebody has to tackle the opponent. 

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, the most any team ever scored in a single NFL game has been 73 pts.    Let's say that the Browns score  60 on average.

Still, somebody has to tackle the opponent. 

o.k o.k drafting 7 o-linemen is probably a bad idea so may your wish be granted for a top tier lb

Baker for President 

If the Browns take Trent before the draft, teams below will be panicking we will take BPA at 10 like 1 of the 3 elite WR's .....you would see Denver and the Raiders trying to jump us into 9 :) if we are trading for Trent and trading back with Atlanta or Denver we announce the trade back and trade for Trent together 

12 minutes ago, darren15 said:

If the Browns take Trent before the draft, teams below will be panicking we will take BPA at 10 like 1 of the 3 elite WR's .....you would see Denver and the Raiders trying to jump us into 9 :) if we are trading for Trent and trading back with Atlanta or Denver we announce the trade back and trade for Trent together 

If we trade for Williams,   and have #10 for BPA,  I don't think we go WR.    I see the trade down to get either S McKinney, or one of the LBs:  Queen or Murray. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I have seen no one rate Ezra as a first rounder.....not saying it isn't possible....just haven't seen him being rated that high or mocked to go that high. 

For what it's worth, CBS has him drafted with the 26th pick overall (Fins). Of course, that doesn't mean he will go there, could drop into the 2nd round (shrugs shoulders). 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/three-round-2020-nfl-mock-draft-chargers-pass-on-qb-jordan-love-justin-herbert-drop-to-bottom-of-1st-round/

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

This OT class has the numbers... just not the polish... but then college programs don't polish OL play anymore. 2020 is about as loaded as an OT class gets these days.

While there's no refined, "elite" prospect near the level Joe was when we drafted him, there are a bunch of really good prospects making 2020 the strongest OT class since probably '06. That class made up for a light 1st round with a strong Day 2 and even a couple surprises on Day 3.

I'd say when 6-7 LTs are taken in the 1st round (4 likely in the top 12) I'd say it's a strong LT draft. There might be more LTs taken in the 1st than QBs. I know some (all?) need developed, but all those 1st round guys have the physical tools to become very good. Even Bectum seems to have some nice skills. No, there probably isn't an Orlando Pace, Jon Ogden or Joe Thomas in the group, but those are Hall of Famers. I'd settle for an eventual pro bowler.

No matter how you cut it, it's a good year for a team needing a LT that has the #10 pick. Good fortune. Not so much a great year for an ILB though. It seems most of them are pretty flawed after the first few.  

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Seems all talk, no action, so far. 

I hear Tampa Bay may be offering a lot for Williams. 

31 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

He is not your cuppa tea?    Even for like a 3rd and 7th? 

Hasn't played in a year, wants a boatload of money, will be 32 during the season, hasn't played a full season since like 2013. 

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Hasn't played in a year, wants a boatload of money, will be 32 during the season, hasn't played a full season since like 2013. 

Ergo, why I would not want to pay more than a 3rd rounder for him.....and why I would want a young OT to be taken anyway....at some point 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Ergo, why I would not want to pay more than a 3rd rounder for him.....and why I would want a young OT to be taken anyway....at some point 

I mean, a 3rd for Williams isn't a horrible trade by any means, it just feels like a band-aid. 

He wants a huge long-term contract, and the Browns have some young players they need to lock up very soon. 

But who knows? Perhaps there's a crazy run on OTs by the time the Browns are on the board at 10? 

If TB is getting in the mix, then their offer will have to include at least one high-salary player...

The Washington Redskins appear intent on trading offensive tackle Trent Williams, and the Cleveland Browns are reportedly in the driver's seat.

Per Julie Donaldson of NBC Sports Washington, "there are definite discussions going on with the Cleveland Browns regarding trading Trent Williams."

Donaldson also noted that the New York Jets are "highly unlikely" to be involved and that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are not in the race because of a lack of cap space.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2888126-trent-williams-trade-rumors-browns-in-talks-with-redskins-jets-bucs-unlikely

18 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Wirfs and Wills will be changing sides. 
Thomas arguably has the most ability and played LT.  Becton and Jones have the skill set but are probably more of a project than the others.  We are all assuming these guys can fit the ZBS too.

I don’t see anyone of these guys beating out Peters or Williams right now.  And if Williams...Big if...can be had for a third and not demand a crazy contract that straps us in two three years.  I add him in a heartbeat. 

Fair take, I hear ya. I'm 110% in on Andrew Thomas personally. If Williams was even 3 years younger, I'd definitely be on your side. I'd also be a little more on your side if our line wasn't already pretty strong. Pro-bowl C, G, RT and an anchor LT first round pick? Sign me up. 

I think where we disagree a bit is I think all those dudes you mentioned would be day one ready, especially Thomas.

Thinking (always a dangerous thing) thru the leverage swings that are going to occur today/tonite between Berry and the WSH FO. My last post above was the start... not sure where it will end so bear with me while I do a little spit-balling...

First thought was: Berry's leverage maxxes out when we go on the clock and once we turn in a card it drops sharply and of course, if that card has an OT's name on it, then it's game over.

But is it? Is it "game over"?

A pick taken is not a pick signed. If the draft breaks our way and we get the pick of the OT litter, that "pick" will still be in demand. Doesn't happen often in the NFL... and the couple times it has seem to involve "don't pick me" QBs... but trading a selected prospect on Draft Day has precedent and in other leagues, e.g., the NBA, the practice approaches the realm of common occurrence.

Even if we do not get the pick of the litter, there's going to be a market for the prospect we take at 10.

Second thought: What if we trade down from 10?

I think this is more straightforward... I think it simply resets the leverage clock.

See above, 1st-thought...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

Fair take, I hear ya. I'm 110% in on Andrew Thomas personally. If Williams was even 3 years younger, I'd definitely be on your side. I'd also be a little more on your side if our line wasn't already pretty strong. Pro-bowl C, G, RT and an anchor LT first round pick? Sign me up. 

I think where we disagree a bit is I think all those dudes you mentioned would be day one ready, especially Thomas.

“Ready” As in Better than what we saw week in and week out last year - yeah I’ll side with you there.  
Most of the guys I mentioned are undergoing position changes and now they are all facing a much sterner test each week.  

A rookie Left Tackle, Starting DB, or QB Not a place where you want to be baptized by fire.  

My guess is, if Thomas goes before ten, and Simmons is also gone, we definitely trade down. I think.

Goofy Mel Kiper has us taking Becton at ten... nah. How many times has Kiper been wrong?

I wonder what the odds are, that another team will trade ahead of the Browns to get the one immediate starter at LT, Thomas.

Then I will need that Kardiac Kids foam brick to throw at the tv.

• Like 1

Not sure if If this is true or not, but here goes.

We trade our #1, #2, and #3 and give up Odel Beckum Jr, and in return we the #2 overall pick (more than likely Chase young) and Trent Williams.  

Browns and Redskins still discussing this.  I say sign me up right now.

What do you guys think?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1