THE BROWNS BOARD

Trent William's for a 3rd round pick...?

darren15

2 or 3 journos are starting we have offered  the first of our 3rd round picks for Trent Williams....none of these journos are Schefter or Rappaport tho.....no big network is leading with it

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, darren15 said:

2 or 3 journos are starting we have offered  the first of our 3rd round picks for Trent Williams....none of these journos are Schefter or Rappaport tho.....no big network is leading with it

Journos interests me. I think you mean rumors. That’s one helluva a spellcheck thing there. 

Well when journos start starting... :)

If healthy, then Trent solves our LT problem and with #10 freed to trade, we can more than recoup the 3's we'd spend on him so....

... works for me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

If healthy, then Trent solves our LT problem and with #10 freed to trade, we can more than recoup the 3's we'd spend on him so....

... works for me.

What he said...with the one caveat that we get a serviceable LT as a back-up in case Williams gets injured.

18 minutes ago, Barry said:

What he said...with the one caveat that we get a serviceable LT as a back-up in case Williams gets injured.

I assume you do not count  Chris Hubbard there.  Or do you?    (per Ourlads...he is currently listed as our starting LT)

23 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I assume you do not count  Chris Hubbard there.  Or do you?    (per Ourlads...he is currently listed as our starting LT)

No. His 'talent' is that he plays multiple positions...all badly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

That's about as likely as Hilary becoming a likeable person. Hubbard sucked at RT, never mind attempting to play LT. 

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

(per Ourlads...(Hubbard) is currently listed as our starting LT)

Think about that for a second... and a change...

Does that make sense to you?

5 hours ago, Barry said:

Well if Williams has to play with a spare and a jack, then cancel my order.

I'd be willing to ride out Hubbard's last season as our backup RT, and flip Conklin to LT. Then we can shop for depth next year.

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

i can’t pay him top tackle money for the next 4-5 years 

Then front load the contract... doing so fits better with our future cap squeeze anyway.

Obviously 3rd round picks is better than our 1st rounder......but I still say NO.

We are in a position to possibly get our starting LT for the next decade plus....and for at least 4 years, at a good price.  -  Let's DO that.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Think about that for a second... and a change...

Does that make sense to you?

No....because in a previous view of our depth chart....they showed NO  LT at all on the roster.  I think they just stuck  Hubbard there for the lack of anyone else to put there.  I still think we have No LT on the roster.....but that will change, somehow. 

I'd be willing to ride out Hubbard's last season as our backup RT, and flip Conklin to LT. Then we can shop for depth next year.

But who you putting at RT ahead of Hubbard? 

20 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Conklin, obviously..

But...you said you were flipping him over to LT:  

So,you have Conklin at LT, Hubbard at backup RT....but, again, who starts? 

Conklin played RT exclusively for 4 years at Tennessee. If you put him in at LT and Hubbard at RT you are essentially weakening 2 positions and not improving a hell of a lot more than last year. This is what I'd like to see:

1) If they can work out a decent deal, then trade for Williams.

2) Sign Jason Peters as back-up. He is 38 and made $3.5 million last year. Both salary and age will be compatible for both Peters and Browns as a LT back-up.

3) Assuming you get a decent offer, trade back from 10 to ~15 (with Denver or Atlanta, etc.)

4) Draft all defense and a good OT with your picks

5) Win the Super Bowl

Note- This also gives you flexibility the following year in case your rookie LT can't fit in right away. Everyone just assumes that a highly rated LT will be successful immediately. That's not necessarily true.

• Upvote 1

even when LT Taylor Lewan was suspended for 4 games..Tenn. played Dennis Kelly at LT & kept Conklin at RT, after mostly all of training camp to evaluate..I don't see us paying Conklin & T. Williams & a 1st round Tackle 💰💰💰...I would hope Hubbard was told he would compete at both tackles, but his starting landing spot maybe RG... or draft a damm good RG too

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Then front load the contract... doing so fits better with our future cap squeeze anyway.

You are allowed to front load to an extent but I believe there are rules about the % of the contract allowed to be taken as a cap hit in a given year.   And he’s throwing out 4/5 years 20M a year. 

3 hours ago, Barry said:

Conklin played RT exclusively for 4 years at Tennessee. If you put him in at LT and Hubbard at RT you are essentially weakening 2 positions and not improving a hell of a lot more than last year.

At MSU Conklin made 34 of his 38 starts at LT.

If you believe Conklin would be no better than Robinson at LT, then you should hate his signing.

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

But...you said you were flipping him over to LT:  

So,you have Conklin at LT, Hubbard at backup RT....but, again, who starts? 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Context, Gip.... the thread is about Williams.... I mention Williams in my post responding to another's concern over him going down to injury making them want to draft a backup... and then say what I'd be willing to do.

Does your wife have to spoon feed you as well?

I’m told acquiring Trent Williams is “still on the table” for the #Browns, per source today. "Nothing is imminent or super close right now," but the #Browns are keeping their thumb on the situation. A move could happen if the Browns first choice tackle is off the board when they pick at 10.

No gimme here but if the #Browns can trade for Trent Williams, would give them flexibility to move from No. 10 overall and pick up a good haul of future/additional picks.

25 minutes ago, darren15 said:
No gimme here but if the #Browns can trade for Trent Williams, would give them flexibility to move from No. 10 overall and pick up a good haul of future/additional picks.

Tremendous win if we get Trent Williams for a 3rd (and not some insane contract that hurts our long term cap) and we manage to trade back and get additional picks.

Browns and Pats.  We get #23, two 3rd round picks and a premium 2021 pick.  They get a QB. We get some picks in the sweet spot of the draft. 

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

At MSU Conklin made 34 of his 38 starts at LT.

If you believe Conklin would be no better than Robinson at LT, then you should hate his signing.

Context, Gip.... the thread is about Williams.... I mention Williams in my post responding to another's concern over him going down to injury making them want to draft a backup... and then say what I'd be willing to do.

Does your wife have to spoon feed you as well?

Your lack of communication skills wasn't my problem.   This thread was about having Williams at  LT, not RT.   Because Williams has been predominantly a LT in his career.   So, to me it sounded that you were excluding Williams from your scenario.   But, now, it is even worse.....you want to take a career  LT and put him at RT,   and a career RT and put him at LT.   You must have gotten so many swirlies as a kid that your head is still spinning. 

On 4/20/2020 at 12:59 AM, Tour2ma said:

... works for me.

Do you really think Skins would deal him for a 3rd? I thought that even a 1st round wasn't enough to get him last year. What am I missing? 

11 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Do you really think Skins would deal him for a 3rd? I thought that even a 1st round wasn't enough to get him last year. What am I missing? 

Time.   As time goes by...a kiss is just a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh  and the fundamental things apply....like:  the price may change.  I think Williams has made it clear he no longer has any use for the Redskins....and in that time team's may have done their evaluation of him and concluded that no way is he worth a #1....especially if they have to renegotiate with him.   So, nothing has budged so far.    But certainly, perhaps,   even while the draft is ongoing, some deal may be made for him.   When Round 1 has passed and no one has offered a round 1 pick for him...the Skins may see the light.

So, that is my prediction...that if a trade is made for him it happens during the draft  post first round. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

.you want to take a career  LT and put him at RT,

Where did I say that?

As usual you are probably the only person who failed to understand what I posted... two posts running now.

I can do a poll, if you like.

11 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Where did I say that?

As usual you are probably the only person who failed to understand what I posted... two posts running now.

I can do a poll, if you like.

I fully understood what you wrote  when you said to put Conklin at LT,   and Hubbard at  backup RT....and when I asked who would start at RT you said "Williams , of course".  Don't you understand what you yourself write?

Time.   As time goes by...a kiss is just a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh  and the fundamental things apply....like:  the price may change.  I think Williams has made it clear he no longer has any use for the Redskins....and in that time team's may have done their evaluation of him and concluded that no way is he worth a #1....especially if they have to renegotiate with him.   So, nothing has budged so far.    But certainly, perhaps,   even while the draft is ongoing, some deal may be made for him.   When Round 1 has passed and no one has offered a round 1 pick for him...the Skins may see the light.

So, that is my prediction...that if a trade is made for him it happens during the draft  post first round. 

In addition to what you wrote above, I think teams are getting the feeling this guy has turned into a "pain in the ass" kind of guy. Now, that may not be fair; he may have legit reasons to be miffed at the Skins' docs, but it may still be the perception of NFL teams that he's now a problem player in the locker room. 

• Upvote 1

... and when I asked who would start at RT you said "Williams , of course".  Don't you understand what you yourself write?

Show me the post where I said that exact quote.

It's difficult to compete with the competing private conversation going on in your head.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Show me the post where I said that exact quote.

It's difficult to compete with the competing private conversation going on in your head.

Here are your quotes: 

Conklin, obviously..

But who you putting at RT ahead of Hubbard

So, I don't know....you flipped Conklin to LT,  then you flipped him back to RT....then you put Williams in at RT.

If you can't keep up with yourself, how do you expect the rest of us to?

I will just conclude things this way:  We will assume that Conklin will not be playing both LT and RT.  and that is Williams were acquired, he would be the LT...and Hubbard would be a backup...somewhere.   So, not one more breath needs to be spent on it.

I will concern myself with what the Cleveland Browns do with their personnell...not with what you think or propose.