THE BROWNS BOARD

Trivia Questions and Answers

The Gipper

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I would hope not.   Those extra clues I gave should have turned the light bulb on for someone who has been around a While.  Example....he got Jim McMahon who described himself as the "funky QB"  on the Bears  1985 Super Bowl Shuffle video.  And Lamonica's nickname was The Mad Bomber....ergo the Ted Kaczinski reference.  

Check and Check. 

So....fess up....did you look them up, or did the clues I gave ring the bell for you? 

The clues gave it away

• Upvote 1

Here is today's trivia Question:

In NFL history, there have been a dozen (12)  Quarterbacks  who have a career winning pct. of winning 2/3rds of their games.    .666 pct.  or better. 

Name these 12 QBs.    (Note:  in one case anyway, it includes the record as an AFL starting QB). 

Answers:

Otto Graham   .814....and that is just in the NFL years,  with AAFC he was like  .853 win pct.

Darryl Lamonica   .801

Tom Brady  .774

Roger Staubach  .746

Joe Montana  .714

Peyton Manning  .702

Jim McMahon  .691  with 6 teams !!

Terry Bradshaw  .677

Russell Wilson  .676

Danny White   .674

Ben Roethlisberger   .669

Frank Ryan    .667  with 3 teams   (but he was over .700 with the Browns)

Stabler, Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Unitas and Elway follow the above. 

The guys in blue are NOT in the HOF, even though they all have been eligible for years.  (A few are active, and IMO will make HOF....and Peyton Manning is  a clear shoo in)  Isn't winning the name of the game?  So why should these guys be given no consideration ?   Ryan, White, McMahon, Lamonica. 

Maybe simply longevity is an issue there:  Ryan  57 career wins,  White:  62, Lamonica  66, McMahon 67.  

But:  Norm Van Brocklin only had 61 wins, he is in.  Kurt Warner  67, he is in.    Ryan and McMahon have the same number of titles as NVB and Warner:  1 each.  (and Ryan, like Warner, lost another title game).  George Blanda only had 53 career wins...but he is sort of a special case.   Sonny Jurgenson only had  69....and he had no titles, and never even played in a title game. 

Sorry to go on.  Maybe that should be a different thread. 

Even though I may be sorry to go on....I will, nevertheless, go on. 

It seems that it is simply  longevity that kept the  Forgotten Four or some of them   out of the HOF.

I noted their number of wins above.

As for career TD passes

Frank Ryan had  149 career TD passes.....but his contemporary....Bart Starr, only had  152,   and Roger Staubach only had 153 career TDs. 

Roger gave up part of his potential career to the Navy....Ryan game up part of his potential career to his PhD in Math. 

Danny White had  155.    (but he had the misfortune of following up  SB champ Staubach...and of running into Joe Montana....who he lost to in a few NFC title games...bad luck there)

Darryl Lamonica  had 164 TDs.     Norm VAn Brocklin had only 173, as did Joe Namath.   And Troy Aikman had just 165....but he had 3 titles. 

Jim McMahon  had only 100 career TD passes.   His huge SB win was not greatly attributed to him, but to the team around him   So, he would be the least HOF worthy of the Forgotten 4. 

Total passing yards is also a factor.  Neither of the 4 had big numbers:   White  21, 959,  Lamonica  19,154, McMahon  18,148, Ryan  16, 042

But then these guys 60s/70s counterparts did not put up the big gaudy passing yard numbers that QBs do today.: Staubach had only about 22K yards, Van Brocklin  23K, Bart Starr  24K,  Namath 27K, Bradshaw  28K, Dawson 28K.   Guys these days are getting double and in some case triple that in career numbers. 

I will not do another question today.  Wait until tomorrow.

OK to merge.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Even though I may be sorry to go on....I will, nevertheless, go on. 

It seems that it is simply  longevity that kept the  Forgotten Four or some of them   out of the HOF.

I noted their number of wins above.

As for career TD passes

Frank Ryan had  149 career TD passes.....but his contemporary....Bart Starr, only had  152,   and Roger Staubach only had 153 career TDs. 

Roger gave up part of his potential career to the Navy....Ryan game up part of his potential career to his PhD in Math. 

Danny White had  155.    (but he had the misfortune of following up  SB champ Staubach...and of running into Joe Montana....who he lost to in a few NFC title games...bad luck there)

Darryl Lamonica  had 164 TDs.     Norm VAn Brocklin had only 173, as did Joe Namath.   And Troy Aikman had just 165....but he had 3 titles. 

Jim McMahon  had only 100 career TD passes.   His huge SB win was not greatly attributed to him, but to the team around him   So, he would be the least HOF worthy of the Forgotten 4. 

Total passing yards is also a factor.  Neither of the 4 had big numbers:   White  21, 959,  Lamonica  19,154, McMahon  18,148, Ryan  16, 042

But then these guys 60s/70s counterparts did not put up the big gaudy passing yard numbers that QBs do today.: Staubach had only about 22K yards, Van Brocklin  23K, Bart Starr  24K,  Namath 27K, Bradshaw  28K, Dawson 28K.   Guys these days are getting double and in some case triple that in career numbers. 

I will not do another question today.  Wait until tomorrow.

OK to merge.  Thanks.

The fact that they didn’t pass much back then, doesn’t mean they didn’t win. 

I’d take Bart Starr and his titles over Marino and his records ANYDAY

• Upvote 1

Here is Today's Trivia Question.

My son has gotten me into "birding  (don't call it birdwatching) " lately.  It gives me something to do and helps me get some exercise.   So the question is simple:

Name all the teams in the NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB  that have bird nicknames. I think there are anywhere from 12-15 teams. 

39 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

My son has gotten me into "birding  (don't call it birdwatching) " lately.  It gives me something to do and helps me get some exercise.   So the question is simple:

Name all the teams in the NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB  that have bird nicknames. I think there are anywhere from 12-15 teams. 

Seahawks, Falcons, Hawks, Cardinals, Penguins, Blue Jays

EDIT: Consolidating with the next 4 I posted

Eagles Orioles Blackhawks Ravens

16 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Seahawks, Falcons, Hawks, Cardinals, Penguins, Blue Jays

EDIT: Consolidating with the next 4 I posted

Eagles Orioles Blackhawks Ravens

I did not include Blackhawks, because, in theory, they are named after an Indian Tribe, not a bird....but, clearly the tribe name includes a bird...so that is good. 

There still could be 3-5 more

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

bird battles in the sky are always fun to watch and humingbird battles are cool damn they are territorial 

toronto blue jays which are the most hated bird of all

3 minutes ago, ATOM said:

that wasnt the point of my post

it was about birds 

There is a bird thread in the Barbershop.  

But speaking of birds....Today is the day the Buzzards return to Hinckley.  They apparently cancelled the big festival, but I may try to get up there in the next day or so to try to see the buzzards.  I see that some friends of mine were up there either yesterday or today and saw them. 

But....Buzzards is NOT the name of one of the teams.   Though....it could be a good name for a team, couldn't it? 

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

There is a bird thread in the Barbershop.  

But speaking of birds....Today is the day the Buzzards return to Hinckley.  They apparently cancelled the big festival, but I may try to get up there in the next day or so to try to see the buzzards.  I see that some friends of mine were up there either yesterday or today and saw them. 

But....Buzzards is NOT the name of one of the teams.   Though....it could be a good name for a team, couldn't it? 

The Birmingham Buzzards sponsored by Corona Beer. Great combo this year.😁

• Upvote 1

Answers:

Pittsburgh Penguins

Anaheim Ducks

New Orleans Pelicans

Atlanta Hawks

Philadelphia Eagles

Seattle Seahawks

Baltimore Ravens

Arizona Cardinals

Atlanta Falcons

St. Louis Cardinals

Toronto Blue Jays

Baltimore Orioles

and in a sense, perhaps these teams:

Philadelphia Flyers and Detroit Redwings.    They both use wing on their logos.

Toronto Raptors.....while they may be referring to Dinosaurs with their names,  "Raptors" is another name for "Birds of Prey"

Chicago Blackhawks......Indian tribe with hawk in its name. 

Free to merge, thanks.

I can buy raptors but the two wingy dingy things are a stretch. If we accept them then we should accept the Anaheim Angels too. Wings.👼

Ducks is the only one I could not recall. But then I don't recall ever knowing that team anyway since I never cared for hockey.

Here is today's trivia question.  It is a bit of a long one.  May keep open a couple of days:

I am first going to give you the name of  many  starting NFL Quarterbacks, alphabetically.     Then I am going to give you a list of cities.  The cities are the names of either the birthplace or  hometown (high school)  of these NFL QBs..or in a couple of cases, both.

Simply match the QB to his home town or birthplace

Josh Allen

Tom Brady,   Drew Brees

Derek Carr,    Kirk Cousins

Jimmy Garropolo,    Jared Goff

Lamar Jackson

Patrick Mahomes,   Baker Mayfield,  Kyler Murray

Cam Newton

Dak Prescott

Phillip Rivers,   Aaron Rodgers,   Ben Roethlisberger,   Matt Ryan

Matt Stafford

Ryan Tannehill,   Mitch Trubisky

deShaun Watson,    Carson Wentz,  Jameis Winston

Towns:

Allen TX,    Arlington Hts.  Illinois,  Athens, Alabama,   Atlanta, Georgia,    Austin/Austin  TX

Bessemer, Alabama,  Bismarck, N.D

Chico,  Calif. 

Dallas/Austin  TX

Exton PA

Findlay Ohio,  Firebaugh  Calif. ,  Fresno  Calif.

Gainesville, Georgia

Holland, Michigan

Lubbock TX

Mentor, Ohio

Novato, Calif.

Pompano Beach Fla.

Richmond,  Virginia

San Mateo, Calif. ,   Sulphur, Louisiana

Tampa/Dallas,    Tyler  TX

NOTE:  correct answers given lined out

7 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I can buy raptors but the two wingy dingy things are a stretch. If we accept them then we should accept the Anaheim Angels too. Wings.👼

Ducks is the only one I could not recall. But then I don't recall ever knowing that team anyway since I never cared for hockey.

You didn't get Pelicans either, apparently.    And, I don't know, there IS such a thing as a redwing blackbird.    Flyers is sketchy though.  

Here is something I found on the origin of the Flyers name:

On their way home after seeing a Broadway show, the Flyers owner/GM and his wife  were looking for a stopper name for their hockey team. “I was thinking of people skating and sliding around the ice,” Phyllis recalls, “and the ‘Flyers’ just popped into my head. Everybody thought it was great.”

The “Philadelphia Flyers” had alliterative pizzazz, conveyed motion and excitement, and was short enough to fit into newspaper headlines. Snider told Phyllis, “That’s the name, but you can’t win the contest.” Flyers, it would be.

The contest ran for ten days in July. More than 11,000 entries were submitted, including Ice picks, Acmes, Philly-Billies, Greenbacks, Scars, and Strips and Croaking Crickets. Liberty Bell and Quakers got the most votes, but Flyers, of course, got the only votes that counted. On August 3, the team announced its new name at an outdoor conference at the arena construction site.  

Alec Stockard, a 9-year-old boy from Narberth, one of the untold numbers of entrants who had submitted the name “Flyers,” won the television in a drawing conducted by Putnam. However, Stockard had spelled it “Fliers.” None of the teams founders recall why the second dictionary spelling of the word-with a “y” instead of an “i”-was chosen. 

So...they are not named after a bird, or a plane, or Superman......they are named after like ice skaters. 

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ryan Tannehill-Lubbuck,Tx.

Kyle Allen came from a HS in Arizona but I don't know his birthplace. I will guess Dallas.

Jamais Winston-Pompano Beach, Fla.

Check on Tannehill.   No on Winston.......and who the fuck is Kyle Allen?