THE BROWNS BOARD

Trivia Questions and Answers

The Gipper

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, for most of the Ivy Leaguers you do have to go back a long way for the names. Except for maybe one....and I will give you  a hint: think of a coach. 

Old Ivy League coach maybe Marv Levy ?

23 hours ago, The Gipper said:

MAC  schools (current):  

Toledo 

man are you turning over some old dinosaur rocks 🦕...as a grad of T-town. I went back to a photo of a picture plaque before you would enter the TU weight room. 

Safety- Emlen Tunnell*---of the football NY Giants---- 

Tunnell broke his neck playing ball at TU..barely got accepted to fight in a world war...than Ronnie Lott banged bitches playing Safety..freaky stat numbers in picks & tackles... 

Baa deebb!   that's all folks! 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yes...but which school?

Possibly Brown the school of ESPN's Chris Berman or second guess Harvard. 

14 hours ago, gumby73 said:

man are you turning over some old dinosaur rocks 🦕...as a grad of T-town. I went back to a photo of a picture plaque before you would enter the TU weight room. 

Safety- Emlen Tunnell*---of the football NY Giants---- 

Tunnell broke his neck playing ball at TU..barely got accepted to fight in a world war...than Ronnie Lott banged bitches playing Safety..freaky stat numbers in picks & tackles... 

Baa deebb!   that's all folks! 

Check on Tunnell

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Second guessing is sometimes good.  It is Hahvahd.

Marv was always such an eloquent speaker and a good football coach and person.

Here is today's Trivia Question:      Name a Pro Football Hall of Famer that attended these "Small colleges".    Colleges by groupings.  Note....the HOFers may be players, coaches or other contributors:

Answers:

Ivy League Schools:

Brown.....Fritz Pollard

Columbia....Sid Luckman

Dartmouth....Ed Healey

Harvard.....Marv Levy

Penn...Chuck Bednarik or  Bert Bell

Small Ohio Colleges:

Dayton:  Chuck Noll

John Carroll:  Don Shula

Wittenberg:   Al Davis

MAC  schools (current):  

Akron.....Jason Taylor

Eastern Michigan.....George Allen

Kent State.....Jack Lambert

Miami Oh......Paul Brown or  Weeb Ewbank  (and one day  Ben R.)

Toledo .....Emlen Tunnell

Bonus Question:   Name the 4 schools that have had  10 PFHOFers play there.  (Hint....they are NOT small colleges)

Notre Dame,...13;   USC  13;   Ohio State  10,  Michigan 10

Its been about a week since my daily trivia question....so this one, while one question has several parts.

In the 4 major sports:   NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL.     there are  32 franchises who have  NEVER won a championship. 

Name these 32 teams..............to help you out here are some hints:  MLB there are 6 teams;  NFL there are 6;  NBA there are 10;  NHL there are 10. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Do AFL championships count?

Yes, they count as titles. 

Except...any of those 4 "league" titles won in NFL/AFL in the 4 years 1966-70.   So, before Gunz goes crazy...no the Vikings have NOT won a championship.

So I give you them...one of the 32. 

Also, FYI,  any ABA or WHA title also counts as a championship.  Which means that any team that won a title in those leagues does not count,  

NFL: Jacksonville, Carolina, Cincinnati, Minnesota, Houston, Atlanta

MLB: Colorado, Tampa Bay, Seattle, Texas, Milwaukee, San Diego

NBA: Indiana, Orlando, Charlotte, Atlanta, LA Clippers, Denver, Utah, Memphis, New Orleans, Sacramento, Minnesota

I know I named 11 NBA teams, but I don't know of any championships from those teams, unless I totally blanked or one of them won an ABA title I'm not aware of. 

I'll let someone else attempt the NHL. 😁

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

NFL: Jacksonville, Carolina, Cincinnati, Minnesota, Houston, Atlanta

These are all correct...and you got them all.

MLB: Colorado, Tampa Bay, Seattle, Texas, Milwaukee, San Diego

These are all correct, and you got them all.

NBA: Indiana, Orlando, Charlotte, Atlanta, LA Clippers, Denver, Utah, Memphis, New Orleans, Sacramento, Minnesota

Ones highlighted are correct.   

I know I named 11 NBA teams, but I don't know of any championships from those teams, unless I totally blanked or one of them won an ABA title I'm not aware of. 

Indiana Pacers did win ABA titles.  Hawks and Kings won titles in the 50s in different cities.  (Hawks: St. L.   Kings as Royals in Rochester)

I have two not named. 

I'll let someone else attempt the NHL. 😁

I used to follow the Pittsburgh penguins but don't watch much NHL lately, here goes:

Florida Panthers, Nashville preditiors, Arizona coyotes (were the cheapest professional franchise to buy years ago), Columbus bjs....... throw in the Buffalo sabres also.

Edited by mjp28

5 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I used to follow the Pittsburgh penguins but don't watch much NHL lately, here goes:

Florida Panthers, Nashville preditiors (Predators..FIFY) Arizona coyotes (were the cheapest professional franchise to buy years ago), Columbus bjs

Highlighted are correct.  The Arizona Coyotes franchise is technically formerly the Winnipeg Jets, which franchise did win WHA titles.  That was one I had to do some research into, because there is a current Winnipeg Jet franchise...not the same as the old franchise...which you did not name....and which I leave open for determination. 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Highlighted are correct.  The Arizona Coyotes franchise is technically formerly the Winnipeg Jets, which franchise did win WHA titles.  That was one I had to do some research into, because there is a current Winnipeg Jet franchise...not the same as the old franchise...which you did not name....and which I leave open for determination. 

Ok what about the Buffalo sabres?

Its been about a week since my daily trivia question....so this one, while one question has several parts.

In the 4 major sports:   NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL.     there are  32 franchises who have  NEVER won a championship. 

Name these 32 teams..............to help you out here are some hints:  MLB there are 6 teams;  NFL there are 6;  NBA there are 10;  NHL there are 10. 

Answers:

NFL:  Jaguars,  Bengals....could have had one if not for Joe Montana's version of The Drive , Falcons....or should we say the Fuckup Falcons, blowing a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl;  Panthers; Texans;   Vikings.....4 chances failed

MLB:  Mariners, Brewers, RAys,  Rockies, Padres,   Rangers....one strike short

NBA: Clippers,  Jazz, Magic, Pelicans, Hornets, Suns, T-wolves, Grizzlies, Nuggets....but...

apparently NOT the Thunder. (as you know the Thunder were the Seattle Sonics before they moved to OK City.  There was at one point a move that the Sonics would be given the "Cleveland Browns solution"...i.e. that the "Sonics" franchise with records etc. would all remain in Seattle for a reconstitution  of the Sonics franchise......a type of solution the NBA DID employ with the  Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans situation.    But, apparently that "solution" has all gone by the wayside. Now, it seems officially that the  Sonics/Thunder are to be considered a single franchise with all Seattle records moving with the team to OK. 

NHL:  Florida Panthers,  Columbus  BJs, San Jose Sharks,  Las Vegas Golden Kaniggits, Minnesota Wild, Buffalo Sabres, Nashville Predators, Vancouver Canucks.....and, also: 

# Winnipeg Jets..........the current franchise which moved to Winnipeg from Atlanta (Thrashers).....but note,   an Winnipeg Jet franchise did win WHA titles....that franchise is now considered the Arizona Coyotes.....and, also:

* The Ottawa Senators.       The current franchise.   There was an Ottawa Senators franchise that won  Stanley Cups back in the 1920s, but that franchise folded, and Ottawa was without an NHL franchise for like 50 years until this current franchise was founded in the 70s. 

Here is today's trivia Question.  It is the other side of the coin of the last  question which asked which teams have never won a championship:

In the 4  major leagues:   NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL (and including the likes of ABA/WHA/AAFC/AFL).....21 teams  have  won   Six (6)  or more championships in franchise history.  

Name these  21  teams.                (I am going to make it a bit harder by not breaking it down here by sport)

Ok let me get the NHL ones before Dutch grabs them all up.  Six wins:

Montreal Canadians used to be hockey royalty, Boston Bruins, Chicago Blackhawks, Pittsburgh Penguins might have 6 by now maybe the Toronto Maple Leaves and maybe the St Louis Blues.

Surprisingly the old Canadian teams have given way to the more successful American hockey clubs despite hockey being the national game of Canada.

Just now, mjp28 said:

Ok let me get the NHL ones before Dutch grabs them all up.  Six wins:

Montreal Canadians used to be hockey royalty, Boston Bruins, Chicago Blackhawks, Pittsburgh Penguins might have 6 by now maybe the Toronto Maple Leaves and maybe the St Louis Blues.

Highlighted ones,  Check.    Penguins have just 5, not 6.   St. Louis Blues won their first and only title just last year. 

27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Highlighted ones,  Check.    Penguins have just 5, not 6.   St. Louis Blues won their first and only title just last year. 

I was debating on the Detroit Red Wings and the Broad Street Bullies Philadelphia Flyers.......I used to follow some hockey way back when.

Just now, mjp28 said:

I was debating on the Detroit Red Wings and the Broad Street Bullies Philadelphia Flyers.......I used to follow some hockey was back when.

Detroit,  Check .   Not Philly.   (they were NOT one of the "Original 6.

And just to help things along....you got all the NHL teams.

MLB let's see, the New York Yankee$ the best team that money could buy for decades they grabbed a bunch of trophies.  The rest with 6 champinships STL, LA/BRK, SF/NY and maybe CIN?, DET? PHI?   It's just hard to think of real dynasties in MLB other than the Yank$ they won the AL every year from 1946-1964 except 3 48, 54 CLE and 59 WSX.

22 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

MLB let's see, the New York Yankee$ the best team that money could buy for decades they grabbed a bunch of trophies.  The rest with 6 champinships STL, LA/BRK, SF/NY and maybe CIN?, DET? PHI?   It's just hard to think of real dynasties in MLB other than the Yank$ they won the AL every year from 1946-1964 except 3 48, 54 CLE and 59 WSX.

Check on Yankees, Cardinals, Dodgers, Giants.  No on the others that you named.

n the 4  major leagues:   NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL (and including the likes of ABA/WHA/AAFC/AFL).....21 teams  have  won   Six (6)  or more championships in franchise history.  

Name these  21  teams.   

Answers....which will be by sport:

MLB:

Yankees  27 titles

Cardinals  11

As  9  ...5 in Philly,  4 in Oakland

Red Sox  9

Giants  8...5 in NY  3 in SFO

Dodgers....6  one in Brooklyn, 5 in LA

NFL:

Packers  13

Bears  9

Browns  8

Giants   8

Patriots  6

Steelers  6

NBA:

Celtics  17

Lakers  16...several of these in Minneapolis. 

Bulls  6

Warriors  6  at least one in Philly

NHL

Canadiennes   24

Maple Leafs  13  ....none since mid 60s

Redwings   11

Bruins    6

Blackhawks  6

Note:

Cleveland Indians:   have won just  2  WS:   1930, 1948;    lost in 1954, 1995, 1997, 2016. 

Cleveland Cavaliers:   have won One  NBA titles:   Lost Finals 4 times:   2007/2015/2017/2018

No NHL titles.   Note   Cleveland Barons  NHL,    Played only 2 seasons here before being merged with Minnesota North Stars;

Also:   WHA....which league did merge with the NHL,  and is considered in the positions as say the ABA or the AFL, or AAFC,  did have the Cleveland Crusaders......a team I had basically forgotten about.  Here is their record:

Season-by-season record[edit]

Note: GP = Games played, W = Wins, L = Losses, T = Ties, Pts = Points, GF = Goals for, GA = Goals against, PIM = Penalties in minutes

Season GP W L T Pts GF GA PIM Finish Playoffs Avg. Attendance
1972–73 78 43 32 3 89 287 239 1095 2nd, Eastern Won Quarter-final (Blazers) 
Lost Semi-final (Whalers)
1973–74 78 37 32 9 83 266 264 1007 3rd, Eastern Lost Quarter-final (Toros) 6,212
1974–75 78 35 40 3 73 236 258 1273 2nd, Eastern Lost Quarter-final (Aeros) 6,931
1975–76 80 35 40 5 75 273 279 1356 2nd, Eastern Lost Preliminary round (Whalers) 6,356
Totals 314 150 144 20 320 1062 1040 4731