THE BROWNS BOARD

Trivia Questions and Answers

The Gipper

Here is Today's Trivia Question:

The Browns have played  11 different teams twice or more in postseason play in their history,  including some teams in the AAFC.

Name these  11 teams.

Answers:  

Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts     4 times

Detroit Lions  4 times

LA RAms   3 times

Denver Broncos  3 times

Dallas Cowboys  3 times 

NY Yankees...AAFC   2 times

Buffalo Bills...AAFC   2 times

Raiders (once in OAK, once in LA)  2 times

Dolphins    2 times

Steelers   2 times

Giants 2 times

Teams they have met just once:  49ers (while in AAFC),   Vikings, Packers, Jets, Oilers,  Buffalo Bills  NFL, Patriots 

The theme of today's Trivia is "To be a Brown, or not To Be a Brown,  that is the question".     I am going to give you a list of names.  

You tell us whether or not the names I give  were or were not  a player that once played for the Browns.   Some names may be familiar in other contexts.  You hve to determine if there was also a Brown by that name.  Here you go I will lump them by  the Alphabet

--------------------

A.    Chet Atkins;  Karim Abdul-Jabbar; 

B.   Jim Black;  Jim BrownJames Brown; ; John Brown;

C. Cameron Jordan;  Ka-ren Carpenter;  George Cherokee;   Elvince Costello

F.   Fabiano;  Fred  Foggie;  Henry Ford;  David Frost

G.  Tom Gibson;  Forrest Grigg

H.   Hamlett;  John Hughes

J.  Andrew Jackson;  Dick Jacobs;  Tommy James;  Tom Joad;   George Jones;  Tom Jones

K.  Don King;  James Kirk;   Fred Kruger

L. Bert Lahr;  Clubber Lang

M. Marcel  Marceau;  Willie Hays Mays;  Montreal Meander;   Eddie Murphy;  Michael Myers

N. Ozzie  Nelson

R. Jim Rome;   Fred Rogers

S.  Nick Saban;   Fred Sanford;  Stan Sheriff;  Dick Shiner; 

T.  Zack Taylor;  Tanya Tucker

V.  Dick Vitale

W.  Apollo Creed  aka  Carl Weathers;    Bob White;  Thomas (Woodrow) Wilson;   Wil(bur) Wright.

Lined out have been answered. 

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The theme of today's Trivia is "To be a Brown, or not To Be a Brown,  that is the question".     I am going to give you a list of names.  

You tell us whether or not the names I give  were or were not  a player that once played for the Browns.   Some names may be familiar in other contexts.  You hve to determine if there was also a Brown by that name.  Here you go I will lump them by  the Alphabet

--------------------

B.   Jim Black;  Jim Brown; James Brown; ; John Brown;

J.  Andrew Jackson;  Dick Jacobs;  Tommy James;  Tom Joad;   George Jones;  Tom Jones

M. Marcel  Marceau;  Willie Hays Mays;  Montreal Meander;   Eddie Murphy;  Michael Myers

N. Ozzie  Nelson

V.  Dick Vitale

W.  Apollo Creed  aka  Carl Weathers;    Bob White;  Thomas (Woodrow) Wilson;   Wil(bur) Wright.

J. Tommy James played for the Crimson Tide which inspired him to write/sing Crimson & Clover. Andrew Jackson played for New Orleans.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

--------------------

N. Ozzie  Nelson

V.  Dick Vitale

Meander, Abdul Jabbar, Jim Brown, John Hughes All Browns 

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

J. Tommy James played for the Crimson Tide which inspired him to write/sing Crimson & Clover. Andrew Jackson played for New Orleans.

OK, very clever.... but you did not in any way answer the question.  Did they also play for the Browns? 

G.  Tom Gibson;  Forrest Grigg......I assume that you mean Forrest Gregg YES

Tom Gibson maybe, Tom Gipson sounds like some dweeb pencil pusher NO.  And I see that retirement is agreeing with you, you have entirely too much time on your hands.

And the real Forrest Gregg below no pencil pusher.

5cb09abc2400007600067db2.jpg

25 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

G.  Tom Gibson;  Forrest Grigg......I assume that you mean Forrest Gregg YES

Tom Gibson maybe, Tom Gipson sounds like some dweeb pencil pusher NO.  And I see that retirement is agreeing with you, you have entirely too much time on your hands.

And the real Forrest Gregg below no pencil pusher.

Tom Gibson is the actor who played on Dharma and Greg, and  Criminal Intent.  And also, yes, a Browns player. 

So, I give you that one. 

And....you would assume wrong.

Forrest "Chubby" Grigg.....was a member of the Cleveland Browns.    But also kind of a sad story.   To be honest, I had not heard of him as a member of the Browns until I did this research. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chubby_Grigg

Grigg pictured in uniform in a publicity shot

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

assume wrong.

Forrest "Chubby" Grigg.....was a member of the Cleveland Browns

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chubby_Grigg

But...buzzzz.  not this one.

Wow that just looked like a for sure typo. Chubby Grigg.

R. Jim Rome;   Fred Rogers

Rome imposter, Rogers I seem to remember that name as a player.

Word on a few of the guys whose names have been given:

I already explained about Forrest Grigg...yes a Brown.    Forrest Gregg....was a former Browns HC, but not player

Jim Rome...not a Brown.    Jerry Rhome, however was.

Fred Rogers....not a Brown.   Don Rogers, Shaun Rogers, were.

Tommy James was a Brown.  ...but he came without the Shondells.  

Andrew Jackson was not.   But we did have a guy named  Alfred Jackson.

Jim Brown,  Montrel/Montreal Meander, John Hughes, and Karim (not Kareem) Abdul-Jabbar were Browns

James Brown  was a Browns player...( a different James Brown besides Jim Brown) .and the Godfather of Soul. 

There are still like over 30 names left to answer up there

You tell us whether or not the names I give  were or were not  a player that once played for the Browns.   Some names may be familiar in other contexts.  You hve to determine if there was also a Brown by that name.  Here you go I will lump them by  the Alphabet.

Answers.   Here we go with each name.

--------------------

A.    Chet Atkins;  No....There was a Chet Adams, and a Doug Atkins,  but Chet Atkins remains the rockabilly artist of the 50s.

Karim Abdul-Jabbar;   Yes, not to be confused with Kareem.

ALL of the above were players for the Brown;   as well as being Godfathers of Soul, and Harper's Ferry Raiders

C. Cameron Jordan;  NO....but Jordan Cameron was a Browns player

Ka-ren Carpenter;  NO....but Ken Carpenter was

George Cherokee;   Yes,  Browns player

Elvince Costello....Yes, sort of.  Vince Costello was....and if you consider him THE Vince Costello, but say it is Spanish, he is El Vince Costello....of course, not to be confused with Elvis Costello.

F.   Fabiano;   Yes, but I don't think he went by just one name like the similarly named male model Fabio.   He was Anthony Fabiano

Fred  Foggie;  Henry Ford;  Both of these were Browns players.....as well as one being an auto mogul. 

David Frost...No, but there was a Derrick Frost.....but as far as I know, Derrick Frost did not do a famous interview of Richard Nixon.

G.  Tom Gibson;  Forrest Grigg  Yes, both of these were Browns players.....but do not confuse the first with the  Criminal Minds actor...or me.  And don't confuse the latter with the Packer/Browns-Bengals former coach Forrest Gregg. 

H.   Hamlett;   Yes, there was a Browns player named Hamlett (Hamlet)... first name Robert.  Not to be confused with that Danish guy.

John Hughes.....Yes a Browns player.  But not to be confused with the Director of the likes of Ferris Beuhler, Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire; Sixteen Candles etc. 

J.  Andrew Jackson;   No....but we did have an Alfred Jackson

Dick Jacobs;   No....but we did have a Dave Jacobs  (and fyi...former Browns owner Dick Jacobs had a brother named Dave)

Tommy James;   Yes,  a Browns player, as well as the Crystal Blue Persuasion singer.

Tom Joad;  NO, not a Browns player....but we did have a Tim Goad.....not to be confused with the Grapes of Wrath/Springsteen character.

George Jones;  Tom Jones.....YES, both Browns players    as well as being singer types. 

K.  Don King;  Yes,  Browns player, but not to be confused with boxing promotor "Only in America" guy.

James Kirk;    No....closest we came to this was Captain Kirksey

Fred Kruger....NO.....closest we came was Paul Kruger

L. Bert Lahr;   No...no Cowardly Lion actors.....but we did have Warren Lahr.

Clubber Lang.    Well, maybe, sorta.  Not the Mr. T character....but we did have defensive lineman Kenard Lang....and at times I know he was referred to as Clubber (in homage to the Rocky character)

M. Marcel  Marceau;  NO,  no mimes....but we did have a Mel Maceau

Willie Hays Mays;   No, nor a Willie Mays Hays......but we did have David Mays

Montreal Meander;   Yes,  well, Montrel Meander that is.

Eddie Murphy;  No...but we did have a Freddie Murphy

Michael Myers.....YES, a Browns player,   not a psycho killer, nor a SNL comedian

N. Ozzie  Nelson...No,  but we did have Ozzie Newsome.

R. Jim Rome;    No, but we did have Jerry Rhome

Fred Rogers....NO, but we did have Don and Shaun Rogers

S.  Nick Saban;   NO....but he was a Browns asst. coach...and a relative of his  Lou Saban, did play for the Browns (he was also Bill coach)

Fred Sanford;   No, no junk dealers.....but we did have Lucious and Brian Sanford...hopefully they were not junk dealers.

Stan Sheriff;  Dick Shiner;   Yes, both of these were Browns players.

T.  Zack Taylor;  No, no ex-President....

Tanya Tucker....No, but we did have Travis Tucker.   (good name for CW singer)

V.  Dick Vitale....No, but we did have a Dan Vitale.   (don't know if they were related)

W.  Apollo Creed  aka  Carl Weathers;   NO....but, we did have Curtis Weathers.....who actually was Carl Weathers real life brother

Bob White;  Thomas (Woodrow) Wilson;   Wil(bur) Wright.  Yes....we had players with all three of these names.  FYI,  President Woodrow Wilson's first name was Thomas...why he went by Woodrow...or why he would is beyond me.  And Willie   Wright is currently on the Browns roster.....though I doubt his full first name is Wilbur.  I don't even know if, say, William is his real first name.  He goes by Willie always.  Spent 2019 on Browns PS. 

Lined out have been answered. 

John Hughes.....Yes a Browns player.  But not to be confused with the Director of the likes of Ferris Beuhler, Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire; Sixteen Candles etc

And a National Lampoon staff writer and later writer and/or director of the National Lampoon Vacation series and Animal House among other comedy classics.

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

John Hughes.....Yes a Browns player.  But not to be confused with the Director of the likes of Ferris Beuhler, Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire; Sixteen Candles etc

And a National Lampoon staff writer and later writer and/or director of the National Lampoon Vacation series and Animal House among other comedy classics.

Nor was it my cousin, whose name is John Hughes. 

Here is today's Trivia Question:      Name a Pro Football Hall of Famer that attended these "Small colleges".    Colleges by groupings.  Note....the HOFers may be players, coaches or other contributors:

Ivy League Schools:

Brown

Columbia

Dartmouth

Harvard

Penn

Small Ohio Colleges:

Dayton:

John Carroll:

Wittenberg:

MAC  schools (current):  

Akron

Eastern Michigan

Kent State

Miami Oh.

Toledo 

Bonus Question:   Name the 4 schools that have had  10 PFHOFers play there.  (Hint....they are NOT small colleges)

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Here is today's Trivia Question:      Name a Pro Football Hall of Famer that attended these "Small colleges".    Colleges by groupings.  Note....the HOFers may be players, coaches or other contributors:

John Carroll:. The late great Don Shula

MAC  schools (current):  

Akron. Jason Taylor

Eastern Michigan. Tricky, an old coach George Allen ?

Kent State.  Jack Lambert

Miami Oh. Paul Brown

Toledo . ?

The bonus: Easy the old football factories ND, USC, MICH and The Ohio State University

Bonus Question:   Name the 4 schools that have had  10 PFHOFers play there.  (Hint....they are NOT small colleges)

2 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Easy the old football factories ND, USC, MICH and The Ohio State University

Check on these

John Carroll:. The late great Don Shula

MAC  schools (current):  

Akron. Jason Taylor

Eastern Michigan. Tricky, an old coach George Allen ?

Kent State.  Jack Lambert

Miami Oh. Paul Brown

And check on all these.   

Didn't want to give the Ivy League a go?

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Didn't want to give the Ivy League a go?

I can think of some good Ivy League players but HOF, hmmmm probably older by definition I'll give it some thought.

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I can think of some good Ivy League players but HOF, hmmmm probably older by definition I'll give it some thought.

Yes, for most of the Ivy Leaguers you do have to go back a long way for the names. Except for maybe one....and I will give you  a hint: think of a coach.