THE BROWNS BOARD

Trivia Questions and Answers

The Gipper

47 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

The following could...in theory join those 3, if they were to ever get in:

Bo Jackson  ...didn't play long enough due to injury.....  Shows how much injuries matter.  Best ever athlete ???

Vinny Testaverde????  Has numbers, but just not good enough..... 21 years in a tougher era, 48,000+ yards but on some bad teams. So-so W/L record looks bad. His kid Vincent just signed up with TB.

Carson Palmer.....very borderline at best

Sam Bradford....not even sure he has a job in the league now........big numbers, bad teams.

Cam Newton.....Best Bet  now if he can overcome injuries .......Yeah injuries again.

Jameis Winston.    Meh

Baker Mayfield....hope fully...... A lock.  :lol:

Kyler Murray.....way ahead of ourselves.

In the cases of Vinny and Bradford......I do believe that each of them contributed significantly to the fact that the teams they were on were bad.   You seem to over look that. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

In the cases of Vinny and Bradford......I do believe that each of them contributed significantly to the fact that the teams they were on were bad.   You seem to over look that. 

True.  And the HOF should be only for the best players of all time not everybody that wants in regardless of teams or records.  The Archie Mannings should get in the other two mentioned probably not.

Although the MLB HOF goes to the extreme in their sport the NFL is pretty good.

29 minutes ago, dusty said:

Only important one is the Browns - 40's and 50's.

Patriots 2010's

Steelers late 70's?

Cowboys early 70's?

Packers 60's

Highlighted in Green are correct.    The 70s Cowboys is NOT correct, according to the criteria set out above.  (they only won 2 in 10 years, though they did appear in 2 more title games. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Packers, 30s

Bears 40s

Lions, 50s

Raiders, late 70s/early 80s

49ers, 80s

Check on all these  (Packers 29-31)

There are still 4 others that fit the criteria not yet named. 

Hint:  3 of the 4 are actually more recent.  (post 1980)

Patriots, 2000s (an argument can easily be made that they've had two separate dynasties, since there was such a long gap between the 3 Super Bowls they won in the 2000s and the 3 they won in the 2010s)

Cowboys, 90s

Redskins, 80s/90s (Joe Gibbs era)

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Patriots, 2000s (an argument can easily be made that they've had two separate dynasties, since there was such a long gap between the 3 Super Bowls they won in the 2000s and the 3 they won in the 2010s)

Cowboys, 90s

Redskins, 80s/90s (Joe Gibbs era)

Bada Boom Bada Bing.  Check on Cowboys and Redskins......and exactamundo on the Patriots.....that is why I said  12..or 13.  Because based on the criteria I set forth, they would be a separate dynasty. 

Dutch gets the Bada Bing reward:

46457193654_9452c32782_n.jpg

Today's Trivia Question:

In 100 years of the NFL,  by my count, I come up with  12-13  "Dynasties"  in the history of the game.    For purposes of this question I am going to define a Dynasty as any team that won  3 Championships in the course of any 10 year period.  

Name as many of these Dynasties as you can.   Just give the team and the approximate era.   Example:    Cleveland Browns  2020s.  (we wish)

Answers:

1. Canton/Cleveland Bulldogs.  Won 3 consecutive titles in the 20s.  NFL considers these separate franchises technically,  but, they had the same name, the same coach, many of the same players.  Apparently they just had a different owner. And we know how fungible NFL owners are

2. Packers  Won 3 consecutive titles:  1929-1931

3. Bears  1940-1946.   Won 4 titles in 7 years

4. Browns  1946-1957.   Won 7 titles in  11 years, played like 10 straight.

5. Lions 1952-1957   Won 3 titles in  6 years

6. Packers  1961-1967.  Won 5 titles in 7 years  (fyi, only Bears and Browns broke it up)

7. Steelers  1970s   Won 4 titles in 6 years

8. 49ers   Won 4 titles between 1981 and 1989

9. Redskins.  Won 3 titles between 1982 and 1991.  People don't think about them much, because they were winning titles in and amongst the ones the Niners were winning, and they did it with 3 different QBs.    Joe Gibbs being the main factor

10. Raiders.   1976-1983.  Won 3 titles in 8 years.

11. Cowboys.   1992-1995.   Won 3 titles in 4 years.

12. Patriots  2000s   won 3 titles in 4 years. 2001-2004

13. Patriots?  2010s  won 3 titles in 5 years.   2014-2018.    After having gone almost 10 years without winning.   Of course, obviously the Pats can be considered one continuous dynasty.....as, in those 9-10 years of not winning a title, they did play in and lose 2 Super Bowls...to the Giants, and they did have the same coach/QB. 

I set the  3 titles in 10 years for a dynasty...somewhat arbitrarily.  It could be argued that perhaps other teams could be considered "dynasties"  like maybe the 70s Dolphins who were in 3 consecutive SBs, and won 2.   And, can a team that loses be considered a dynasty?   90s Bills.   Or, how about the New York Giants from 1956 to 1963.  In 8 years, they won 1 title game.....and lost  5.  

Thanks....OK to merge. 

41 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Today's Trivia Question:

In 100 years of the NFL,  by my count, I come up with  12-13  "Dynasties"  in the history of the game.    For purposes of this question I am going to define a Dynasty as any team that won  3 Championships in the course of any 10 year period.  

Name as many of these Dynasties as you can.   Just give the team and the approximate era.   Example:    Cleveland Browns  2020s.  (we wish)

Answers:

I set the  3 titles in 10 years for a dynasty...somewhat arbitrarily.  It could be argued that perhaps other teams could be considered "dynasties"  like maybe the 70s Dolphins who were in 3 consecutive SBs, and won 2.   And, can a team that loses be considered a dynasty?   90s Bills.   Or, how about the New York Giants from 1956 to 1963.  In 8 years, they won 1 title game.....and lost  5.  

Thanks....OK to merge. 

After NE that's going to be harder to do going forward from here and that's in all major sports.  I also think about the close ones and the "lovable losers" like the old Bills and Vikings, the great defenses among others in my personal favorite era of NFL football the Sabol era of the1960s to 1980s. The GB, OAK, DAL, WAS, LA, MIA, PIT, LA RAMS, CHI, SF and CLE and the soundtracks to go along with them.

Great memories of the frozen tundra and the cold winds blowing off the lake.    ;)

Oh the Sabol era......

Sabol was born in Moorestown, New Jersey and attended Colorado College, where he played football and was a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity.[1] He was the subject of a humorous article about his self-promotion exploits in the November 22, 1965, issue of Sports Illustrated.[2] He began working at NFL Films as a cameraman alongside his father Ed Sabol (1916–2015) after graduation. He started in the filming industry when his father got the rights to the 1962 NFL Championship Game, played in Yankee Stadium on December 30.

This company eventually grew into NFL Films, with Sabol serving mainly as a cameraman, editor, and writer in the 1960s and 1970s. When ESPN was founded 1979, they soon signed NFL Films as a production company and Sabol became an on-air personality in the 1980s. He won 35 Emmy Awards and had a documentary about him air on 60 Minutes. Sabol played a part in founding the NFL Network.

Sabol was the author of the poem "The Autumn Wind", later adopted by the Oakland Raiders as an unofficial anthem........

........On September 18, 2012, Sabol died of brain cancer in Moorestown, New Jersey, 18 months after being diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor in March 2011. He died two weeks before his 70th birthday, and a week after his father's (Ed Sabol) 96th.[5] He was honored before every NFL game in Week 3 with a video tribute.[6]

The NFL paid tribute to his life and contributions to the league, at a ceremony on February 12, 2013, in Philadelphia.[7]

On January 15, 2020 Sabol was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2020.[8]

11 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Warren Moon?

My guess would be Rivers. He's been around long enough for sure.

ya moon thanks thats the guy and one would think rivers also