THE BROWNS BOARD

Trivia Questions and Answers

The Gipper

Here is today's Trivia Question.

The 2020 draft is still on.    In the 21st century there have heretofore been 20 drafts take place:    from 2000 on ward.

That means that there have been, in this century,  20  #1 overall Draft picks that have been made.

Name as many of these #1 overall picks in the NFL Draft, since 2000  that you can. 

Answers:

2000 Courtney Brown

2001 Michael Vick

2002 David Carr

2003 Carson Palmer

2004 Eli Manning

2005 Alex Smith

2006 Mario Williams

2007 Jamarcus Russell

2008 Jake Long

2009 Matt Stafford

2010 Sam Bradford

2011 Cam Newton

2012 Andrew Luck

2013 Eric Fisher

2014 Jadaveon Clowne

2015 Jameis Winston

2016 Jared Goff

2017 Myles Garrett

2018 Baker Mayfield

2019 Kyler Murray

Here is today's Trivia Question. 

A number of famous NFL players were not born in the USA.    Here is a list of countries, and a list of namee, each  put here alphabetically.  Match the name with the country they were born in.    Yes, about 40% of these names are kickers:

Countries:

Austria

Canada;   Croatia;   Cyprus

Denmark

Germany;   Guatamala

Honduras;  Hungary

Ivory Coast

Japan

Mexico

Nigeria;   Norway

Philipines;  Poland

South Africa

South Korea

Turkey

Zaire

--------------------------------

NAMES:

Gary Anderson;   Morten Anderson

Tim Biakabatuka

Tom Fears

Robert Griffin III

Pete Gogolak

Ted Hendricks

Tunch Ilkin

Sebastian Janikowski

Nick Lowery

Eddie Murray

Christian Okoye

Jan Stenerud;   Frank Sinkwich

Tim Tebow

Steve Van Buren

Hines Ward;   Ray Wersching

Garo Yepremian

Amos Zeroue

I think Pete Gogolak was Hungarian and one of the first side winding soccer style kickers that I copied in the 1960s in high school......whew long answer.  I also thought he had a brother Charlie.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I think Pete Gogolak was Hungarian and one of the first side winding soccer style kickers that I copied in the 1960s in high school......whew long answer.  I also thought he had a brother Charlie.

So, I assume then that Hungary is your answer for Gogolak?  That would be a check.

Why "damned" immigrants?

Just by matching the name with the country:

Janikowski gotta be Poland

Tunch Ilkin  - gotta be Turkey. Peculiar sounding name in the same vein as Cenk Uygur...that  piece of shit liberal commentator who happens to be Turkish.

Van Brocklin - Denmark

Jan Stenerud -  Norway.

Since "Jan" and "Van" are Scandinavian names, I could have Van Brocklin and Stenerud backwards.

Frank Sinkwich - Croatia...."ich" is a Slavic name ending, and since Croatia is the only other Slavic country besides Poland on the list I'll go with that.

17 minutes ago, Gorka said:

Why "damned" immigrants?

Because I am just mocking that piece of shit Trump who hates immigrants.

Janikowski gotta be Poland

Tunch Ilkin  - gotta be Turkey. Stupid sounding name reminds me of Cenk Uygur...that liberal piece of shit who is  Turkish.

Van Brocklin - Denmark

Jan Stenerud -  Norway.

Since "Jan" and "Van" are Scandinavian names, I could have Van Brocklin and Stenerud backwards.

Frank Sinkwich - Croatia...."ich" is a Slavic name ending, and since Croatia is the only other Slavic country besides Poland on the list I'll go with that.

Janikowski,  Ilkin, Stenerud, Sinkwich correct.   

And I never used the name Van Brocklin.  Not sure where you got that from., or you must have meant Steve Van Buren, not Norm Van Brocklin.    That is Not correct anyway

(Besides...Van is not Scandinavian, it is Dutch or German for the most part).  

25 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Janikowski,  Ilkin, Stenerud, Sinkwich correct.   

And I never used the name Van Brocklin.  Not sure where you got that from.

Really? You're not sure where I got that from? How about Van Buren.

Van Buren - Denmark

btw..you know that TDS is a real mental condition right? Its about time you seek some psychiatric attention.

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

Why "damned" immigrants?

There is Slovenia, Serbia, Monte Negro and Albania too.. there are Soviets with ich' in the last name.. and a couple others that escape my brain at the moment.. My mother was a Croatian refugee born in a war town in Austria.. She has ich' in her maiden name..

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, nickers said:

There is Slovenia, Serbia, Monte Negro and Albania too.. there are Soviets with ich' in the last name.. and a couple others that escape my brain at the moment.. My mother was a Croatian refugee born in a war town in Austria.. She has ich' in her maiden name..

Yes, there are quite a few Slavic countries. Gippers list had only two listed, so Sinkwich had to have been the Croat.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, nickers said:

A lot of ich names are also Slovak from Slovakia part of the old Czechoslovakia   not to be confused with Slovenia.

This also is a good world geography and nationality test.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gorka said:

Yes, there are quite a few Slavic countries. Gippers list had only two listed, so Sinkwich had to have been the Croat.

Frankie Sinkwich was indeed a Croat and grew up in Youngstown Ohio.......he played football with my late Hungarian father-in-law at Youngstown Chaney before going to Georgia and winning the Heisman.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Here they are:

Screenshot_2020-03-22_102340.jpg

10 hours ago, Gorka said:

Why "damned" immigrants?

Actually this is pretty accurate with what is going on in the world today with the coronovirus and what has happened over the last few centuries with immigrants in the USA.

Immigrants like my grandfather from the Ukraine who settled in Youngstown Ohio we among the ones that built this country working in the mills, factories and mines.

You can never underestimate their contributions to what they did including fighting in the wars.     ;)

4 hours ago, Gorka said:

Yep, though, technically it was still part of Yugoslavia when he was born....which would have been a good answer.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yep, though, technically it was still part of Yugoslavia when he was born....which would have been a good answer.

Yugoslavia which I was told actually means "southern slavs" was that group of countries that was tightly run by that old Commie Tito until the USSR finally fell apart and the rush (and in some cases bloodshed) was on to regain their own sovernty.

Remember the old Commie inspired Yugo ?   For about $3,000 you could get a cheap bucket of bolts that was a new car.

Whittling it down:

Countries:

Austria

Canada;   

Denmark

Germany;   Guatamala

Honduras; 

Ivory Coast

Mexico

Philipines;  

South Africa

Zaire

--------------------------------

NAMES:

Gary Anderson;   Morten Anderson

Tim Biakabatuka

Tom Fears

Ted Hendricks

Nick Lowery

Eddie Murray

Tim Tebow

Steve Van Buren

Ray Wersching

Amos Zeroue

3 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Wasn't RGIII born in Japan?

Mike

not a chance am coming up with this one... Japan's ground moved under someones feet again 🤩

A number of famous NFL players were not born in the USA.    Here is a list of countries, and a list of namee, each  put here alphabetically.  Match the name with the country they were born in.    Yes, about 40% of these names are kickers:

Answers: 

Countries:

Austria...Ray Wersching  K

Canada;   Eddie Murray  K

Croatia;  Frank Sinkwich

Cyprus:   Garo Yepremian  K

Denmark:  Morten Andersen  K

Germany;   Nick Lowery  K

Guatamala:  Ted Hendricks

Honduras;  Steve Van Buren

Hungary:  Pete Gogolak  K

Ivory Coast  Amous Zeroue

Japan:  Robert Griffin III

Mexico:  Tom Fears

Nigeria:   Christian Okoye

Norway:   Jan Stenurud  K

Philipines;   Tim Tebow

Poland:  Sebastian Janikowski  K

South Africa:   Gary Anderson  K

South Korea:   Hines Ward

Turkey:   Tunch Ilkin

Zaire:   Tim Biakabatuka

Here is today's Trivia Question.  A bit late in the day, I know:

There are 10 people in the Pro Football Hall of Fame who are graduates, or at least attended  Ohio State University.  Note/hint:  8 of them are players, 2 of them "other"  either coach or contributor. 

Name as many of these 10 as you can.