THE BROWNS BOARD

Trivia Questions and Answers

The Gipper

Going to be doing a new approach to the Trivia.  Instead of 10-12 questions in a week which all of you ADDers seem to have trouble focusing on, I am just going to put up one per day.  So, let's see how this goes.   Today's question:

It is highly speculated that  Heisman winner  Joe Burrow will be the #1 overall pick in the draft.    If he is, that will make him the 22d person who won the  Heisman and then who was taken with the #1 overall pick since 1936.    

Name as many of the 21 other players in this category as you can? 

I was thinking Billy Cannon, Earl Campbell and Bo Jackson, but I know he turned down the NFL originally to play baseball. He did not like the team that drafted him 1st overall.

I thought maybe Barry Sanders too, but I looked him up and he did not go #1 overall. But he should have.

EDIT: Well maybe not. Troy Aikman went #1 overall. Barry never won a SB. And here is some trivia for you. The first time Troy won a SB with the Cowboys, Troy, Texas temporarily renamed itself Troy Aikman, Texas. It's on I-35 south of Waco.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I was thinking Billy Cannon, Earl Campbell and Bo Jackson, but I know he turned down the NFL originally to play baseball. He did not like the team that drafted him 1st overall.

I thought maybe Barry Sanders too, but I looked him up and he did not go #1 overall. But he should have.

EDIT: Well maybe not. Troy Aikman went #1 overall. Barry never won a SB. And here is some trivia for you. The first time Troy won a SB with the Cowboys, Troy, Texas temporarily renamed itself Troy Aikman, Texas. It's on I-35 south of Waco.

Check on Cannon, Campbell, and Bo.  Sanders did not go #1.   Aikman did not win the Heisman.

21 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Check on Cannon, Campbell, and Bo.  Sanders did not go #1.   Aikman did not win the Heisman.

Yeah, I knew Barry got the Heisman that year, but had forgotten Aikman went #1 overall (and no Heisman) and Barry 3rd.

Ok I'll try a few, your follow up question could be how many were busts.

1942 Frank Sinkwich Georgia out of Youngstown Chaney HS, my late father in law played football with him at Chaney, I always wondered how he ended up in Georgia.

1956 Paul Hornug ND and GB one of my favorite players from ND and ended up with GB, a BROWNS foe with Taylor

1959 Billy Cannon on LSU's last undefeated undefeated team until this year, he was a 1st pick but not sure if it was a non NFL team first. I know he played with LA.

.......I have guesses on a few more but not 100% sure.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:26 PM, mjp28 said:

Ok I'll try a few, your follow up question could be how many were busts.

1942 Frank Sinkwich Georgia out of Youngstown Chaney HS, my late father in law played football with him at Chaney, I always wondered how he ended up in Georgia.

1956 Paul Hornug ND and GB one of my favorite players from ND and ended up with GB, a BROWNS foe with Taylor

1959 Billy Cannon on LSU's last undefeated undefeated team until this year, he was a 1st pick but not sure if it was a non NFL team first. I know he played with LA.

.......I have guesses on a few more but not 100% sure.

These are all correct. But you can give your guesses on others if you’re wrong so what. 

18 hours ago, The Gipper said:

These are all correct. But you can give your guesses on others if you’re wrong so what. 

Ok how about our old Vinny Barbarino Testaverde ?

• Upvote 1

On 3/3/2020 at 9:25 AM, The Gipper said:

Going to be doing a new approach to the Trivia.  Instead of 10-12 questions in a week which all of you ADDers seem to have trouble focusing on, I am just going to put up one per day.  So, let's see how this goes.   Today's question:

It is highly speculated that  Heisman winner  Joe Burrow will be the #1 overall pick in the draft.    If he is, that will make him the 22d person who won the  Heisman and then who was taken with the #1 overall pick since 1936.    

Name as many of the 21 other players in this category as you can? 

Answers, in chronological order:

Jay Berwanger

Tom Harmon

Frank Sinkwich

Leon Hart

Paul Hornung

Billy Cannon

Terry Baker

Ernie Davis

OJ Simpson

Jim Plunkett

Earl Campbell

Billy Sims

George Rogers

Bo Jackson

Vinny Testaverde

Carson Palmer

Sam Bradford

Cam Newton

Jameis Winston

Baker Mayfield

Kyler Murray

Here is today's Trivia Question:

There have been  15 players who were the #1  overall pick in either the NFL or AFL draft, who went on to be named to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  Note: to help:  2 of the 15 taken in the AFL draft. 

Name as many of these 15 players as you can.

Right off hand that one era comes to mind:

Paul Hornung  Billy Cannon?  OJ Simpson   Jim Plunkett  Earl Campbell like I mentioned a few #1 picks were busts or just ok players.

The two AFL ones are interesting, I'll give it some thought.  So many good players back then some on defense.

5 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Right off hand that one era comes to mind:

Paul Hornung  Billy Cannon?  OJ Simpson   Jim Plunkett  Earl Campbell like I mentioned a few #1 picks were busts or just ok players.

The two AFL ones are interesting, I'll give it some thought.  So many good players back then some on defense.

Check on Hornung,  Simpson, and Campbell.     Neither Cannon nor Plunkett are  HOF. 

I was thinking about one of the old OL guys like Dave Rimington but I'm not sure which ones were picked #1...... except for the road grader Pace.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

I was thinking about one of the old OL guys like Dave Rimington but I'm not sure which ones were picked #1...... except for the road grader Pace.

Well, Rimington was neither  #1 overall nor HOF.   

But there is one other OL who fits the bill.  Think late 60s.    Plus the 2 DL   ( 1=70s/1=90s)

And hints on the 3 "old timers" :   2 played halfback, and one played both ways at OC and LB.    (that should give it away)

There have been  15 players who were the #1  overall pick in either the NFL or AFL draft, who went on to be named to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  Note: to help:  2 of the 15 taken in the AFL draft. 

Name as many of these 15 players as you can.

Answers:

Bill Dudley

Charley Trippi

Chuck Bednarik

Paul Hornung

Ron Yary

OJ Simpson

Terry Bradshaw

LeeRoy Selmon

Earl Campbell

John Elway

Bruce Smith

Troy Aikman

Orlando Pace

Buck Buchanan...from AFL draft

Joe Namath...from AFL draft

Others that will/could make it someday:

Manning Brothers, Peyton and Eli

Only the Following people have completed the "Trifecta":     Won the Heisman Trophy,   became  #1 pick in the draft.  Selected to Pro Football Hall of Fame:

Paul Hornung,  OJ Simpson,  Earl Campbell.                     Very exclusive company

The following could...in theory join those 3, if they were to ever get in:

Bo Jackson  ...didn't play long enough due to injury

Vinny Testaverde????  Has numbers, but just not good enough.

Carson Palmer.....very borderline at best

Sam Bradford....not even sure he has a job in the league now.

Cam Newton.....Best Bet  now if he can overcome injuries 

Jameis Winston.    Meh

Baker Mayfield....hope fully

Kyler Murray.....way ahead of ourselves.

Today's Trivia Question:

In 100 years of the NFL,  by my count, I come up with  12-13  "Dynasties"  in the history of the game.    For purposes of this question I am going to define a Dynasty as any team that won  3 Championships in the course of any 10 year period.  

Name as many of these Dynasties as you can.   Just give the team and the approximate era.   Example:    Cleveland Browns  2020s.  (we wish)

The following could...in theory join those 3, if they were to ever get in:

Bo Jackson  ...didn't play long enough due to injury.....  Shows how much injuries matter.  Best ever athlete ???

Vinny Testaverde????  Has numbers, but just not good enough..... 21 years in a tougher era, 48,000+ yards but on some bad teams. So-so W/L record looks bad. His kid Vincent just signed up with TB.

Carson Palmer.....very borderline at best

Sam Bradford....not even sure he has a job in the league now........big numbers, bad teams.

Cam Newton.....Best Bet  now if he can overcome injuries .......Yeah injuries again.

Jameis Winston.    Meh

Baker Mayfield....hope fully...... A lock.  :lol:

Kyler Murray.....way ahead of ourselves.

17 hours ago, Browns149 said:

Orlando Pace

I remember this past season watching Pace highlights from his Ohio State days...... unbelievable. No wonder he was the #1 pick.