THE BROWNS BOARD

Our WR core.

LBC mike

After our 1 & 2 we don't have much...   Higgins is not resigned,  Hodges was okay. we need a good slot.  I know the draft is suppose to be deep with WR this year.  

We didn't pursue anyone in FA.  Thoughts?

We have a great slot receiver, we need a consistent #2. Higgins would fit the bill but I have to wonder what happened last year. A couple guys I've liked as mid-late round guys People-Jones and Gandy-Golden. I probably wouldn't even look at WR until round 4.

What happened to D.J. Montgomery? I liked him when he was on the field 

9 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

We have a great slot receiver, we need a consistent #2. Higgins would fit the bill but I have to wonder what happened last year. A couple guys I've liked as mid-late round guys People-Jones and Gandy-Golden. I probably wouldn't even look at WR until round 4.

What happened to D.J. Montgomery? I liked him when he was on the field 

... We cut Landry when I wasn't looking?

we went out & got a WR/ ST JoJO Natson.. who is all of 5'6" :huh: ...we need a redzone 6'4ish WR Cortland Sutton type that can high point a 🏈..some get cut & some can be found in this deep draft class 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

I know what he's saying, but that generality is... quite wrong.  Landry is our #2, and a damn good one, regardless of where he aligns.

I wasnt saying Landry is a bad #2 I was saying another outside guy. Landry does his best work in the slot so when we have 3 WRs we need someone to let him bless people... are we still using that?

OBJ, Landry, Hooper, Njoku.    It's possible that we see that grouping together for a number of plays.

Take Njoku out and replace with the new FB.  (another bunch of plays)  -  2 TE's, FB, RB

We still have Ratley & Montgomery....but I agree, we could use a solid 3rd WR.  Higgins would do nicely.  I believe Derick Willeys is still at arms length.  I'd be pretty surprised if they come out of this draft without a WR.  

Is still Josh Gordon available? 

(I'll come back when the fire gets under control). 

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I know what he's saying, but that generality is... quite wrong.  Landry is our #2, and a damn good one, regardless of where he aligns.

Can't a "slot receiver" still be your #2....if by that meaning a guy you rely on and target a lot?    Hell,  Tom Brady's slot guys like Welker and Edelman were often his #1 choice.  

But, yes....if we are not going to keep Higgins,  we will need a 3rd WR....wherever you put  Landry.

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

we went out & got a WR/ ST JoJO Natson.. who is all of 5'6" :huh: ...we need a redzone 6'4ish WR Cortland Sutton type that can high point a 🏈..some get cut & some can be found in this deep draft class 

Well.....Njoku could become a hybrid TE/slot guy....could he not.    (based on his "potential" skills).   

And, I guess we have to ask this:    I have heard that  Stefanski runs a 2 TE set  like 60% of the time  (correct me if I am wrong).    Would not a 2 WR  2 TE set more or less be a scheme to go with....if you have a  fully potential reached talent like Njoku at one of the TE spots, rather than  3 WR  1 TE? .  I mean, unless it is like 3rd and 20. 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

OBJ, Landry, Hooper, Njoku.    It's possible that we see that grouping together for a number of plays.

Take Njoku out and replace with the new FB.  (another bunch of plays)  -  2 TE's, FB, RB

We still have Ratley & Montgomery....but I agree, we could use a solid 3rd WR.  Higgins would do nicely.  I believe Derick Willeys is still at arms length.  I'd be pretty surprised if they come out of this draft without a WR.  

Great minds think alike.   Also....I think if Hunt is in there...he could be in the "slot"  often  with Chubb in the backfield.  

I mean....the Browns HAVE weapons:   Chubb, Hunt,  OBJ, Landry,  Njoku, Hooper.    They still have Hilliard  (but I think that D'Ernest Johnson may be better)....and those backups you mentioned plus others...Hodge, Taylor.

But I also think they will snag a WR in the draft.  But not before Round 4 at least.   I had them taking a guy named  Kalija Lipscomb, Vandy in Round 5....but that is just a name among many. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I wasnt saying Landry is a bad #2 I was saying another outside guy. Landry does his best work in the slot so when we have 3 WRs we need someone to let him bless people... are we still using that?

Most any receiver does their best work in that position because you're most likely to see coverage from backers or a safety.   There are very few elite nickels in the NFL which is why they're getting money thrown their way.  

Landry functions best as the "Z" receiver - typically the guy flexed off the line.  That's a more classic labeling but, depending on formation, you can make that just about any spot along the offensive alignment.  Perimeter or interior ...  just matters how creative the coaching staff is.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Can't a "slot receiver" still be your #2....if by that meaning a guy you rely on and target a lot?    Hell,  Tom Brady's slot guys like Welker and Edelman were often his #1 choice.  

But, yes....if we are not going to keep Higgins,  we will need a 3rd WR....wherever you put  Landry.

There is no real "#1/#2" in that offense.  Only how targets are dispersed vs the coverage they're facing.   Brady was/is about as good as a distributor and taking what the defense gave him as you'll ever see.     It helps that Welker and Edelman were more of a 'slot' role because it's much more difficult to get a coverage bracket thrown on those types of guys simply based on alignment.   Receivers flexed out but only over top the hash have a lot of room to work horizontally and vertically.

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Most any receiver does their best work in that position because you're most likely to see coverage from backers or a safety. 

Not to mention that slots face vastly reduced press concerns.

Obviously the 12 Offense we are going to put on the field reduces the importance of a #3. But if we add a piece in this WR deep draft, what do we add and when?

To my eye our small, quick WR need is greater than the tall. I think Ratley is our tall supplement and Higgins' return still may be in the cards. JoJo might be our small, but he seems destined for ST primacy. Taywan just has never quite filled that role. So who then...

I still like the Navy QB as a WR... quick... tough... reportedly has great hands. Can use our late 7th on him or compete for him in the UDFA free-for-all, but I think he's worth the 7th.

Earlier pick? Been a few sims when I have been stuck at #41 with my LT already in hand and any remaining "position-of-high-need" name on my Board looking like a reach. What is usually there? A WR with a 1st round grade... and I've taken one.

image.thumb.png.cbf799f1b607eb24616d8eff43919626.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I think Ratley is our tall supplement

Thanks for posting the roster.  Ratley's a clingon that hasn't played much.

Honestly, after OBJ & Landry, I couldn't even guess what our new coaches think about the rest of the bunch.  OBJ has been fragile.  I think they'll want to feel real comfortable at the WR3 spot in case he has to play as part of the 12 lineup.