THE BROWNS BOARD

MY One And Final 2 Round NFL Draft ...

darren15

I do it every year ........ doing it earlier this year as there is no pro days to take into acct etc ...thankfully we sneaked in the combine ...no trades ....... go ahead and give feedback, criticize etc.

This is not who I would take as the teams GM but who I think they will take..... each year I see how far my mock matches the real one ....I normally get to about pick 4 :) 

1   BENGALS,   JOE BURROW, QB, LSU

2  REDSKINS, CHASE YOUNG, DE, OHIO ST

3  LIONS,  JEFFREY OKUDAH, CB, OHIO ST

4  GIANTS, JEDRICK WILLS, OT, ALABAMA   

5  DOLPHINS,  TUA TAGOVAILOA, QB, ALABAMA

6 CHARGERS,    ANDREW THOMAS, OT, GEORGIA

7  PANTHERS, ISAIAH SIMMONS,  LB,  CLEMSON

8  CARDINALS,  TRISTIN WIRFS,  OT,  IOWA

9  JAGUARS,  DERRICK BROWN,  DT,  AUBURN

10  BROWNS,  MEKHI BECTON,  OT,  LOUISVILLE

11  JETS,  K'LAVON CHAISSON,  DE,  LSU

12   RAIDERS,  HENRY RUGGS,  WR,  ALABAMA

13  49ERS,  CEE DEE LAMB,  WR,  OKLAHOMA

14  BUCCS,  D'ANDRE SWIFT,  RB,  GEORGIA

15  BRONCOS,  JERRY JEUDY,  WR,  ALABAMA

16  FALCONS,  CJ HENDERSON,  CB,  FLORIDA

17  COWBOYS,  XAVIER MCKINNEY,  S,  ALABAMA

18   DOLPHINS,  JOSH JONES,  OT,  HOUSTON

19  RAIDERS,  JAVON KINLAW,  DT,  SOUTH CAROLINA

20  JAGUARS,  JUSTIN HERBERT,  QB,  OREGON

21  EAGLES,  JUSTIN JEFFERSON,  WR,  LSU

22  VIKINGS,  DENZEL MIMS,  WR,  BAYLOR

23  PATRIOTS,  YETUR GROSS-MATOS,  DE,  PENN ST

24  SAINTS,  PATRICK QUEEN,  LB,  LSU

25  VIKINGS,  JEFF GLADNEY, CB,  TCU

26  DOLPHINS,  CESAR RUIZ,  IOL,  MICHIGAN

27  SEAHAWKS,  ZACK BAUN,  EDGE,  WISCONSIN

28   RAVENS,  KENNETH MURRAY,  LB,  OKLAHOMA

29   TITANS,  AJ EPENESA,  EDGE,  IOWA

30   PACKERS,  JALEN REAGOR,  WR,  TCU

31   49ERS,  NEVILLE GALLIMORE,  DT,  OKLAHOMA

32   CHIEFS,  KRISTIAN FULTON,   CB,  LSU

ROUND 2

33   BENGALS,  LLOYD CUSHENBERRY III,   IOL,  LSU

34   COLTS,  LAVISKA SHENAULT,  WR,  COLORADO

35   LIONS,   ROSS BLACKSTOCK,  DT,  TCU

36   GIANTS,   GRANT DELPIT,  S,  LSU

37   CHARGERS,  JORDAN LOVE,  QB,  UTAH ST

38   PANTHERS,  MARLON DAVIDSON,  DT,  AUBURN

39  DOLPHINS,  JONATHAN TAYLOR,  RB,  WISCONSIN

40   TEXANS,  TEE HIGGINS,  WR,  CLEMSON

41   BROWNS,   JEREMY CHINN,  S,  S ILLINOIS

42   JAGUARS,  ANTOINE WINFIELD,  S,  MINNESOTA

43  BEARS,  NOAH IGBINOGHENE,  CB,  AUBURN

44  COLTS,  RAEKWON DAVIS,  DT,  ALABAMA

45  BUCCS,  EZRA CLEVELAND,  OT,   BOISE ST

46  BRONCOS,  AUSTIN JACKSON,  OT,   USC

47   FALCONS,  JUSTIN MADUBUIKE,  DT,  TEXAS A&M

48  JETS,   ISAIAH WILSON,  OT,  GEORGIA

49  STEELERS,  LUCAS NIANG,  OT,  TCU

50   BEARS,  KYLE DUGGER,  S,  LENOIR RHYNE

51  COWBOYS,  TREVON DIGGS,  CB,  ALABAMA

52   RAMS,  WILLIE GAY JR,  LB,  MISS ST

53   EAGLES,  ASHTYN DAVIS,  S,  CALIFORNIA

54  BILLS,  JK DOBBINS,  RB,   OHIO ST

55  RAVENS,  JONAH JACKSON,  IOL,  OHIO ST

56  DOLPHINS,  TERELL LEWIS,  DE,  ALABAMA

57  TEXANS,   DAVON HAMILTON,  DT,  OHIO ST

58  VIKINGS,  MATT HENNESSY,  IOL,  TEMPLE

59   SEAHAWKS,   PRINCE TEGA  WANOGHO,  OT,  AUBURN

60  RAVENS,  BRANDON AIYUK,  WR,  ARIZONA ST

61   TITANS  MATTHEW PEART,  OT,  UCONN

62   PACKERS,  AJ TERRELL,  CB,  CLEMSON

63   CHIEFS,   CLYDE EDWARDS HELAIRE,   RB,  LSU

64   SEAHAWKS,  KJ HAMLER,  WR,  PENN STATE

Criticism?    Your mother was a marmot  and your father smelled of huckleberries!!

But I would have reversed the order of the  safeties you chose....giving the Browns the guy that played big time Big Ten football, and the small  college (read...less proven"  guy to the other team.

another second round where Tiam's Jeremy Chinn is picked before Dugger.

Oh...the agony.

lol

assuming Thomas is long gone,  It almost has to be a no trade down situation if you go LT for sure - the jets and niners (their LT might retire), 11 and 13?

, will probably also be looking at drafting a LT.  I worry about Becton's weight that he carries...but man, is he huge and powerful.

if you run behind Becton and Bitonio in the red zone, you get a TD. lol

I think Josh Jones is the better pick, but he's a bit raw and needs coached up.

21 hours ago, darren15 said:

As I mentioned it's not what I would do.....its what I think they will do

OK...

Permission to hope you are wrong? :)

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

I worry about Becton's weight that he carries...but man, is he huge and powerful. if you run behind Becton and Bitonio in the red zone, you get a TD. lol

I think Josh Jones is the better pick, but he's a bit raw and needs coached up. 

Ummmm... Becton doesn't use his size well at all. He tends to lay on defenders, not drive them. He did 23 bench-press reps at the Combine...

As for tech... there's no comparison. Jones has the best seat and pad level of any OT in this draft. Feet? Better than most, but there isn't a kick-step in this class.

In a discussion on reddit the other day and it occurred to me that this year more than any other is a year to go with what you see on tape. Why? The complete lack of private work outs.

The OP was asking about Callahan's influence in our OT selection. Here's my reply...

Had Callahan been able to work the OT candidates individually in Private Workout sessions, then I think the weight of his words would have been much greater. He would have been able to gauge their ability to develop skills. Any less refined top prospect of which he could say post workout, "I can develop this kid," would carry a lot of weight.

As it is he can only watch tape and talk to prospects' coaches... same as the scout for that school who likely has a better relationship with any given school's staff. Not hard for me to imagine Bill and the scout on a call together. Also not hard for me to imagine every coach on the other end talking up their guy...

So what to do... Well for me it's clearer in 2020 than maybe any other draft...

Draft what you see, not what you project.

It's what I go by every year because I don't have the access (or expertise) to "project".

https://www.reddit.com/r/Browns/comments/fwlwtj/still_thinking_about_tackles_in_the_draft_will/

Also Jones did 24 reps... Peart did 26... ;)

I have questions for the more knowledgeable.....I prefer Thomas & Wills as #1 & #2 in the draft, then closely followed by Jones. If Thomas & Wills are both gone prior to our #10 pick, would it be wiser to trade down or leave nothing to chance & grab Jones at 10?....OR are we better off either trading for Williams or signing Peters & taking more of a project in 2nd round & going BPA in the 1st?

Mike

43 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

I have questions for the more knowledgeable.....I prefer Thomas & Wills as #1 & #2 in the draft, then closely followed by Jones. If Thomas & Wills are both gone prior to our #10 pick, would it be wiser to trade down or leave nothing to chance & grab Jones at 10?....OR are we better off either trading for Williams or signing Peters & taking more of a project in 2nd round & going BPA in the 1st?

Mike

I'll let the oline guys respond, except trading for williams, nope. Not for even one first round draft pick.

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

R are we better off either trading for Williams or signing Peters

I 'm not in favor of either of these.  I want a brand new shiny one please.

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

With great questions like this^^ how does Mary Kay Cabot keep a job? ..did someone call for a guess-pert 🤓...

Were in the same boat on Thomas & Wills..and the minute we take this small media trade down to land Jones? Jones will be a Jet or Buccaneer by pick 14, with our drafting luck.. Talk from a bunch of Skins fans down here is, the Skins won't take anything less than a 2nd for Trent..our pick #41(and a new deal, which who is going to touch this without a medical exam?).. or Skins will elect to let him sit again if no draft day deal (i'd call that bluff,if needed).. Nobody should know Peters better than A.Berry. but Peters may not see us as his final SB contender.. Also lots of smoke also blowing on browns trading down for Yannick Ngakoue in a Jags pick flip in 1st (pick 10 to 20, with more picks involved) and or our 2nd round pick #41...Vernon would certainly be out..and not much playing time left for chad thomas..

..13 more days of the nfl guess-perts.. Hunt or Njoku could become trade targets by sunrise;)

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

With great questions like this^^ how does Mary Kay Cabot keep a job? ..did someone call for a guess-pert 🤓...

Were in the same boat on Thomas & Wills..and the minute we take this small media trade down to land Jones? Jones will be a Jet or Buccaneer by pick 14, with our drafting luck.. Talk from a bunch of Skins fans down here is, the Skins won't take anything less than a 2nd for Trent..our pick #41(and a new deal, which who is going to touch this without a medical exam?).. or Skins will elect to let him sit again if no draft day deal (i'd call that bluff,if needed).. Nobody should know Peters better than A.Berry. but Peters may not see us as his final SB contender.. Also lots of smoke also blowing on browns trading down for Yannick Ngakoue in a Jags pick flip in 1st (pick 10 to 20, with more picks involved) and or our 2nd round pick #41...Vernon would certainly be out..and not much playing time left for chad thomas..

..13 more days of the nfl guess-perts.. Hunt or Njoku could become trade targets by sunrise;)

Thanks for the response Gumby. You hit just about all of my concerns. I do believe the price for Williams will be much too high. Seems like we may agree that if Thomas & Wills are gone, grabbing Jones at 10 may make the most sense. I also suspect Hunt & Njoku may be offered in trade at some point......takers?..who knows?

Mike

6 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

I do believe the price for Williams will be much too high. Seems like we may agree that if Thomas & Wills are gone, grabbing Jones at 10 may make the most sense. 

am not ready for taking Jones just yet at 10.. not knowing the best players available on board at other positions just yet... but Berry has set this draft up nicely.. We still have the cap space for any deal.. And Vernon holds another 15M more if needed..if Berry has a 2 year plan to make a run? he still holds a lot of marbles to make it happen.. hold them season tickets our friend & Go Browns!!

• Upvote 1

This will be an interesting draft for sure & who knows WHAT trades may be made & there always seem to be surprises early in the draft.

I guess I'm here...Canton Mike

Mike

4 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I prefer Thomas & Wills as #1 & #2 in the draft, then closely followed by Jones. If Thomas & Wills are both gone prior to our #10 pick, would it be wiser to trade down or leave nothing to chance & grab Jones at 10?....OR are we better off either trading for Williams or signing Peters & taking more of a project in 2nd round & going BPA in the 1st?

Not liking the asking price and cap implications of Williams. The former is going to be dropping come Draft Day, but the latter is still there.

Peters?  A band-aid that should still be in the box after the Draft. If I were completely shutout of my top OTs, then you can bet I'd call his agent night 2 of the Draft.

As for Jones at 10... I'm already on record that I'm good with taking him at 10... I think the talent is there to warrant that pick, but... I would consider trading down if other top prospects are still on the board as well.

You said, "Thomas and Wills are both gone," in your setup... how about Wirfs and Becton? Not that I want them, but they are the consensus, top two OTs in this class.

So if they are gone as well that means 4 of the top 9 picks were OTs! That's called a run... and I can no longer even think that my 2nd-round, "Break Glass in case of..." pick, Matt Peart, will still be safely waiting for me at #41. So it's Jones at #10.

In summary if Wirfs and Becton are still on the board at #10, then I'm willing to answer the phone.

If not, then...

"Hello, Mr. Jones? How would you like to be a Cleveland Brown and a good bit wealthier than you likely thought you'd be?"

If only Wirfs or Becton were still on the board?

Well fortunately you've used your question for today... ;)

• Thanks 1