THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns strengthen defensive line with NFL veteran Adrian Clayborn

Vambo

https://fox8.com/sports/browns-strengthen-defensive-line-with-nfl-veteran-adrian-clayborn/

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WJW) – Welcome to Cleveland, Adrian Clayborn.

The Defensive End signed with the Browns in a move that was announced Thursday.

Clayborn is entering his 10th NFL season.

He’s been with the Falcons for four seasons with the Atlanta Falcons.

He was a first-round draft pick out of Iowa.

or his career, Clayborn has appeared in 110 career games with 196 tackles, 36.5 sacks, 10 forced fumble and four fumble recoveries.

Not bad for 3 mil a year for 2 years. Good backup. 

Now sign Clowney and Clay Matthews. 

29 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Not bad for 3 mil a year for 2 years. Good backup. 

Now sign Clowney and Clay Matthews. 

I think this probably takes The Browns out of the Clowney Sweepstakes.

Fair to say? 

Matthews could be a good pickup....as long as it is a cap friendly deal (and yes, I hate to talk player money).  Veteran leadership can't hurt,  can it? 

2 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Depth?

Yup... rotational...

But another odd-front, body-type DE for a D that has big gaps at LB...

I am just not seeing the plan here...

Base end as an edge but can slide all around the front in sub packages regardless of the alignment.   Quality rotational minutes or a serviceable "pinch" type starter.  Solid marks vs the running game.   Coaches seem to be focused on one of our larger issues this past season - stopping the run and not letting the front get worn down by 3rd quarter.

Nothing wrong with this signing.  Doesn't mean that this team still doesn't have a need to address Vernon's contract or look elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

... not letting the front get worn down...

"Worn down"? Hell... if we add any more, then they won't get a chance to warm up... ;)

• Haha 1

I'd try to unload Vernon and sign Clowney. 

Garrett on one side and Clowney on the other would be amazing bookends to our Defensive Line. 

Clayborn is an old dog, and good depth for the price. 

Vernon underwhelmed last year, yeah I know he was hurt but he's not getting any younger. He's not the same type of player that Clowney is. Clowney has an injury past and Clayborn could be the rotational player that he needs to keep his reps low and keep him healthy. 

54 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

"Worn down"? Hell... if we add any more, then they won't get a chance to warm up... ;)

It seems like the Browns do have a full complement of defensive linemen now.....though certainly there is nothing wrong with adding talent.     But the LB corps, not so much.     And DBs?  Another safety I think would help.    Here is their entire defensive depth chart as it stands.  

DEFENSE
LDE 95 Garrett, Myles 17/1 92 Thomas, Chad 18/3 97 Gustin, Porter CF19 52 McCray, Robert SF19    
DT 65 Ogunjobi, Larry 17/3 00 Billings, Andrew U/Cin 96 Ekuale, Daniel CF18 99 Zimmer, Justin P/Atl    
DT 98 Richardson, Sheldon U/Min 91 Ankou, Eli P/Jax 60 Bryant, Brandin SF19        
DE 54 Vernon, Olivier T/NYG 00 CLAYBORN, ADRIAN U/Atl            
SAM 56 Harvey, Willie CF19 59 Young, Trevon SF19            
MLB 44 Takitaki, Sione 19/3 00 Goodson, BJ U/GB 55 Davis, Tae W/NYG        
WLB 51 Wilson, Mack 19/5 48 Grace, Jermaine SF19            
LCB 21 Ward, Denzel 18/1 37 Lewis Jr., Donnie 19/7 34 Jackson, Robert SF18 20 Thomas, Tavierre W/Arz    
SS 00 Joseph, Karl U/LV 49 Hassell, JT CF19            
FS 00 SENDEJO, ANDREW U/Min 29 Redwine, Sheldrick 19/4 41 Meander, Montrel CF18        
RCB 26 Williams, Greedy 19/2 39 Mitchell, Terrance U/KC 00 Johnson, Kevin U/Buf 00 Olumba, Donovan SF2

5 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I'd try to unload Vernon and sign Clowney. 

Garrett on one side and Clowney on the other would be amazing bookends to our Defensive Line. 

Clayborn is an old dog, and good depth for the price. 

Vernon underwhelmed last year, yeah I know he was hurt but he's not getting any younger. He's not the same type of player that Clowney is. Clowney has an injury past and Clayborn could be the rotational player that he needs to keep his reps low and keep him healthy. 

I am not sure if you are just a celebrity snatch sniffer......or if you are actually onto something.    It is always so hard to tell with your various proposals. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... rotational...

But another odd-front, body-type DE for a D that has big gaps at LB...

I am just not seeing the plan here...

not really a good pickup....he is like that att commercial....just ok is not ok....the falcons have the same problem the clowns have.....no pass rush....actually stinky d all the way around.....claybourne was hardly ever talked about on the local sports stations down here...not a game changer at all...

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Good lines with the flexability that Woods likes tend to roll 8 deep. 

As of this moment you've got.

- Edge.   MG, Vernon, Chad Thomas, Clayborne.

- Interior.  Sheldon, Billings, Jobi and a bunch of bodies.

Chad is likely gone.  Vernon? Possibly gone depending on restructuring his contract.  So the only guarantees of edge on roster come camp are MG and Clayborne. 

The interior depth can be upgraded, especially if we're looking for some real redundancy.  If Billings goes down, we're in trouble.  Hello Bravvion Roy in the 6th? Maybe 7th?  That would give me a couple gap shooters and a couple large space eaters.  I'm cool with that type wave scenario.      We need a nose that can play a shade. Not sexy, but you can get them cheap in the 2020 version of professional football.  Which fits brilliantly with my personal philosophy on interior dline.

Given Vernon's injury history I would think that these 'depth' guys are going to see more action than your typical role players. A question: If we still sign Clowney and release one of these guys recently signed, I know we are on the hook for the guaranteed salary, but does their pay count against the cap at all?

12 minutes ago, Barry said:

Given Vernon's injury history I would think that these 'depth' guys are going to see more action than your typical role players. A question: If we still sign Clowney and release one of these guys recently signed, I know we are on the hook for the guaranteed salary, but does their pay count against the cap at all?

I don't believe Vern has any guaranteed salary this year.  So.... no?

14 minutes ago, Barry said:

No cap hit.

Its Clowney, Vernon or Ngakoue (bold)

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

If Billings goes down, we're in trouble.  Hello Bravvion Roy in the 6th? Maybe 7th?  That would give me a couple gap shooters and a couple large space eaters.  I'm cool with that type wave scenario.      We need a nose that can play a shade. Not sexy, but you can get them cheap in the 2020 version of professional football.  Which fits brilliantly with my personal philosophy on interior dline.

also don't see Chad Thomas being around either.. And watch the Baylor Coach connection with Rhule now at the Panthers... Local news here in carolina have mocked Bravvion many times as a 6th rounder...