THE BROWNS BOARD

Movies that stop your channel surfing dead in its tracks...

The Godfather Trilogy

The Shawshank Redemption

The Ten Commandments

The recent reboot of Planet of The Apes

The Rocky Saga

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Even though it's not on my big list I thought the reboot of Planet of the Apes was really really well done.

WSS

Yeah for a guy who was just a MoCap artist (Andy Sirkis)... His acting skills totally shocked me... It was brilliantly done... There'll be another installment of the franchise with Cornelius becoming the central figure.. I can't wait!!

• Upvote 1

Agree on the Ape reboot...

I had low expectations, but the CGI-fueled, FX advances really worked.

Aside... the original Heston movie was the first time a book I'd read was brought to the big screen. Book title caught my eye while browsing my Jr. HS Library.

My only gripe with the movie was that the Taylor-Nova sex scenes weren't included... :(

They were fairly hot in the book as I recall, but then when you're a 14-yo male, it doesn't take much to start your engine.

• Haha 1

On 4/14/2020 at 10:15 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

"I've heard that your a low down Yankee Liar"

Aside... back in about '77 I was an engineer in the Solvents' area of the plant in which I started my career.

Anyway the Solvents' Shipping, Day Head Operator was a youngish fellow named Danny Boyer whose picture was in the dictionary next to "Good ol' Boy". I got to know Danny pretty well thru Rec Assn sports including softball, B-ball, etc. I even helped him coach his Little League Football team for a while (that's a whole 'nother story).

Anywho... one time our regular B-ball group showed up for B-ball nite at the HS gym and Danny's youth team was still playing... games had run long that evening.

After the game I was chatting with Danny and he introduced to his Asst Coach, "This is Tour... he's a Northerner."

I asked, "Northerner? Is that better than a Yankee?"

Danny with out skipping a beat replied, "It's as good as you can get."

• Haha 1

Almost forgot why I stopped by here... lol...

Another one is on Sundance channel today and it's another "western''... of sorts...

The Quick and the Dead

Cartoonish storyline with cartoonish characters, but how bad can a movie with Hackman, a young Russell Crowe and an even younger DiCaprio be?

Of course there is Sharon Stone to contend with, but she sports a smokey voice thruout that can melt your skivvies... and I didn't even know cotton had a melt point.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Almost forgot why I stopped by here... lol...

Another one is on Sundance channel today and it's another "western''... of sorts...

The Quick and the Dead

Cartoonish storyline with cartoonish characters, but how bad can a movie with Hackman, a young Russell Crowe and an even younger DiCaprio be?

Of course there is Sharon Stone to contend with, but she sports a smokey voice thruout that can melt your skivvies... and I didn't even know cotton had a melt point.

That channel has some pretty good movies.. I really love INSP.. They play the original Gunsmoke epi's and some really good westerns.. I hope they play The Sabato westerns that featured Lee VanCleef.. Those were pretty good..

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Anybody love Sin City as much as I did?

That, sir, would depend upon how much you like it... :)

10 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

A bunch.

Well in that case.... no.

I enjoyed it, but never got into the whole "graphic novel" thing... print or movie.

12 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Well in that case.... no.

I enjoyed it, but never got into the whole "graphic novel" thing... print or movie.

Not really a graphic novel guy myself except for a couple I think are pretty cool. Fritz the Cat and the old Zapp Comics and one called Marshall  Law. But I'd never heard of the Sin City graphic novel. And never looked at it even after the movie.

WSS

• 1 month later...

Another grabbed me late a few nites ago...

That Thing You Do... Tom Hanks' first directing effort and a pretty good effort at that. The title song could have been a hit in the 60's. I thought Tom Everett Scott was going to have a bigger career than he's had so far.

On 5/18/2020 at 4:04 PM, Westside Steve said:

the old Zapp Comics

IIRC I used to read Zapp's Step Brothers in my college days.