THE BROWNS BOARD

Movies that stop your channel surfing dead in its tracks...

Could be to watch the whole thing or rest of it.

Could be to catch a a favorite scene if you're not too late... (I hate it when that happens.)

In my case it's more the latter than the former these days... but late, last nite Dr. Strangelove was on and...

In the latter...

• Contact... the scene where Jodi is reclining on the hood of her Chevy, headphones on and the signal first reaches Earth...
  • The Magnificent Seven... either the opening burial scene or the recruiting scenes
  • Ben-Hur... the chariot race of course...

Bunch more, but I'm not channel-surfing ATM...

• Upvote 1

Shawshank works for me as well... the playing of the aria from Marriage of Figaro...

Moneyball... happy to tune in during any number of scenes... starting with the meeting with the Scouts... but end up watching the whole thing.

Open Range is on a little later tonite... the final gun fight is a surf-stopper...

And while we are on Westerns...

• The Unforgiven... final gunfight...
  • Silverado... the opening sequence in the cabin...

15 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

if there's commercials...

... and/or not to my scene yet, then I fire up the DVR and check in later.

Watched "Coach Carter" - an EXCELLENT MOVIE. About a basketball coach in a poor inner city neighborhood, lots of crime, upset because his team wasn't getting passing grades. So he cancels the next game.

and a lot of hell breaks loose, and the rest of the movie - the acting was so excellent you forget it's a movie. Based on a very true story. I think it was 2005 released. In real life- the real Coach Carter was an amazing man and deserved a movie made about him.

• Upvote 1

As an old friend and HR Manager used to say, "Sounds like a personal problem."

Such is HR humor...

On 4/8/2020 at 10:03 PM, Axe said:

... Roadhouse too

Yes!

The last bar fight with Dalton and Jimmie and Wade is the must see scene... and the lil dance that precedes it ain't bad either if you're into stacked, bleached blondes...

The movie turned me into a Jeff Healey Band fan for a couple LPs. Decent electric blues, but no real staying power.

Last nite I was surfing one last look before I turn in... and I got Starship Troopered. It was early in the flick with Johnny and Carmen arriving at the depot to go their separate, military ways.

Not proud of it, but it is what it is...

Cast included a couple of those supporting character actors whose names you have to want to learn to retain (ala their patron saint, Strother "Failure to 'municate" Martin).

• Michael Ironside was the easy one in ST ... always liked his work.
  • The other was Clancy Brown... ST's DI better known for his turn as Captain of the guards in Shawshank... who I remember all the way back to the early Sean Penn, reform school flic, Bad Boys.

And then there was Diz... :)

On 4/9/2020 at 6:20 PM, tiamat63 said:

- Predator

- Hunt for Red October

- Tombstone

- Batman Begins

Yes....though I think that the followup Batman movie,  with Heath Ledger as The Joker is the most compelling of that Christian Bale Trilogy.

Of course, an interesting thing is that  two different actors won Oscars playing the same role....that of a real psychopathic villain. 

On 4/9/2020 at 5:20 PM, tiamat63 said:

- Tombstone

One scene only... it starts with...

"I'm your huckleberry... Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave."

... and ends with...

"My hypocrisy only goes so far."

With gem after gem in between...

I always wanted to take the best of the Tombstone cast and merge it with the best of Wyatt Earp's...

• Wyatt - Costner.... WE 1 Tmb 0
  • Doc - Val.... WE 1 Tmb 7... yeah, Kilmer was that much better than D. Quaid
  • Josie... Joanna Going... WE  5 Tmb 7
  • Curley Joe - Powers Booth... WE 5 Tmb 10

Et cetera...

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

One scene only... it starts with...

"I'm your huckleberry... Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave."

... and ends with...

"My hypocrisy only goes so far."

With gem after gem in between...

I always wanted to take the best of the Tombstone cast and merge it with the best of Wyatt Earp's...

• Wyatt - Costner.... WE 1 Tmb 0

You have bumped your god damn head, sir.  

On 4/11/2020 at 9:57 AM, tiamat63 said:

You have bumped your god damn head, sir.  

Didn't like Kurt's delivery of "You cur..."

Never felt he got into the cartoonish bent of Tombstone...  which is odd since he had no such issue getting into Jack Burton...

On 4/7/2020 at 10:35 PM, Tour2ma said:

Open Range is on a little later tonite... the final gun fight is a surf-stopper...

And while we are on Westerns...

• The Unforgiven... final gunfight...
  • Silverado... the opening sequence in the cabin...

"I've heard that your a low down Yankee Liar"

My wife forbids the playing of Shane in this house. She can't stand the little whinny, little kid. She has a point...

Couple nights ago this was playing way too late... but watched it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Tripped over another while posting in the main section of this Board a while ago today...

... the Football one, not the Political wannabe... ;)

Almost Famous - probably my favorite Rock-themed movie...

Although another just came to mind that would stop any surfing if it were still airing...

The Commitments... a great story of an Dublin soul band's fast rise and even faster fall...

... and no, not Dublin, Ohio...

Cool thing about this lil gem is that the actors actually did sing everything... and there wasn't a single Russell Crow in the lot of 'em... a reference I know Steve will get.

Play? Don't think so, but who cares. The singing on covers of Motown classics was more than good enough to warrant buying the CD.

EDIT: I was going to link to an old review I felt sure would be here, but noooooooooooooooooo...

Steve... buddy...

• Thanks 1

Never could get into West World...

Watched the new HBO movie that premiered last nite, Bad Education. Very entertaining "based on a true story" tale that takes place in a posh, Long Island school system.

EDIT: Had the trailer up, but it really gives away TMI IMO... so just take a flyer on it.

On 4/27/2020 at 4:29 AM, Westside Steve said:

Don't know if I mentioned this before but it was recently Rod steiger's birthday and it had been a good many years years since I'd seen the pawn broker. Powerful film ahead of its time. Actual nudity in the 60s. Not much but enough to surprise the shit out of me.

Prostitute disrobing in the shop to "tempt" Steiger into giving her a better deal IIRC. She might have been between a couple of racks of clothing?

Saw it in a Cleveland "Art Theater".

On 4/13/2020 at 11:51 PM, Tour2ma said:

Didn't like Kurt's delivery of "You cur..."

Never felt he got into the cartoonish bent of Tombstone...  which is odd since he had no such issue getting into Jack Burton...

You're obviously drunk, sir.

2 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

You're obviously drunk, sir.

I was watching some of the Kevin Costner-- Earp/Dennis Quaid --Doc Holiday  movie, just yesterday.   It does not compare to Tombstone.  I like those guys in lots of stuff  (even in stuff a lot of people don't like:  Waterworld/Postman).....but they are no comparison to this Kurt Russell/Val Kilmer  movie.  Not close. 

On 4/26/2020 at 11:17 PM, Westside Steve said:

I haven't been able to get through season 2. Season 1 was great.

WSS

Season 1 was great.  Each season thereafter....2-3  has gone downhill.  IMO.   They just released the final episode of Season 3, and they do say there will be a Season 4.  I am not sure why they need one.

SPOILER ALERT:   Don't read here if you haven't seen it and want to:

(In the final episode of season 3 they killed off what I believe are the two main characters...which is why I am wondering about the need for Season 4)