THE BROWNS BOARD

Coronavirus and the NFL

Axe

2 hours ago, Icecube said:

Simplicity can also be more "logical." Is it not more logical to have everything based on all units of 10 as opposed to one with various configurations across the board? How many pints in a quart? How many quarts in a gallon? How many yards in a mile? How many ounces in a pound? How many pounds in a ton? No rhyme or reason. 

Well...maybe. 

But the fact is, if someone says that a place is X kilometers or X meters.  away....we still say:  well, how far is that really....you know, in miles.

And if they say something weighs X kilograms...we will say:  "well, how much does it weigh really...in pounds.  Or ounces. 

So, as I said, our time system is just as "illogical"....so why are we not on metric time. 

38 minutes ago, Claret&Brown said:

Nero did.

Oh the irony.

I know Nero said it.....I was referring to  what I was talking about:   the lack of preparedness, and the need to be better prepared in the future. 

I don't know that the UK  was any better prepared than the US or Spain....so this shit may just be starting for you all.   Be safe.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Clearly  YOU are the one that is obtuse.  Along clearly with being ignorant of what the actual situation is and was. 

You provide absolutely no context for your snarky remarks.  You are as shallow as the baby pool in the park. 

Again,  sorry if you can't handle the truth. 

Care to put it to a vote in a poll?  Loser leaves is banned from the boards until after the Draft?

Just gathering the evidence for the poll in case Gip has any balls...

On 4/6/2020 at 9:30 AM, Nero said:

Yes it has been since March 15th. Some people like me started the quarantine 4-5 days earlier. 

Spain may end up being the most damaged country in the world if we don't stop the trend, thanks to a very old population and stupid politicians. 

Health masks and ventilators coming to our country (and already paid) have been confiscated in Turkey and USA, which doesn't help the matter either. 

On 4/6/2020 at 9:35 AM, The Gipper said:

Well, you should do what we should have been doing.....making your own.  Instead of relying on imports. 

On 4/6/2020 at 10:57 AM, Tour2ma said:

:blink: Naive or insensitive?

On 4/6/2020 at 11:57 AM, The Gipper said:

An attempt to be realistic.    As much as I know that we live in an interdependent world....still, it is a case where, as a result of this, nation's should strive to be self sufficient in as many areas as they can. 

We have strived for that with the oil dependency situation...to some degree of success.  One of the reasons that the US is getting the worst end of this business is because we did not produce the materials and equipment here at time in sufficient quantities as something like this required. 

We should strive to bring much of our manufacturing base home....instead of having so much produced in China/Mexico etc.....just so that  corporate CEOs can rake in  1000 more times in salary than the average employee of those companies make.  This highlights that necessity, in my opinion. 

On 4/6/2020 at 4:04 PM, Nero said:

Realistic means admitting that every country including yours depends on imports thus confiscating them after they have been paid is fair play? Get the flag out of your mouth, it doesn't let oxygen into your brain. 

On 4/6/2020 at 4:46 PM, The Gipper said:

Who said a word about confiscating  products after they have been paid for?  Get the shit out of your eyes and brain and properly read what I said. Don't let your   whatever it is you are suffering from  disallow you from having proper reading comprehension. 

I know that countries rely on imports to a great extent.   I said that nations, your and ours, should strive to be more self sufficient, so as to not rely so heavily on imports.  That they should try to manufacture more of their own products to use for themselves so that they can be more independent when necessary.    I said fuck all about confiscating imports.    Where the hell did you come up with that?  Is that something that is happening?  It is nothing I have ever heard anything about.  

"Bringing manufacturing base home"  means having those factories located in the cities and states of this nation.  (or, in your case, your nation).  

I have no clue how you got that all FUBARed. 

20 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

So both naive and insensitive...

Poster fears his country may be the most damaged in the world and your reply is, too bad you didn't make your own shit...

Sometimes you simply need to STFU, Gip... this was one of those times.

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Sorry if you are too ignorant  and lacking in  perception to comprehend a  proper and perhaps blunt  political/economic/historical conversation.  

Nero said that his country could not get the equipment he needs because they could not get them imported.   I said that they should not be relying on imports.  Sorry, sometimes the truth has to be told.  And I said the same applied to this country as well....that we should strive not to rely on imports of products if we are not capable of procuring those imports.  So...its too bad for us as well that we didn't make our own shit. 

And the fact is, this nation...the USA has like triple the number of cases of other countries...though I do think their per capita death rate is higher.   The thing is, and my point was that both nation are now suffering from a lack of foresight. 

Maybe your preference is for Trumplike treatment of the problem:  lie and  gloss over the facts and act like Pollyana. 

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Gip...

Until now it never occurred to add "callous" to the list of adjectives I use to describe you.

Congratulations...

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Its not callousness...it is honesty.  Perhaps brutal honesty.   And maybe it is hindsight.  This is something that we, and Spain, and Italy and likely many other places were not prepared for.   Should we have been prepared for it?   That is where the hindsight comes in.  At least in this country the evidence is that there were several dire warnings that were ignored which, if they were not, we would have been much better prepared.  Is that the same situation in Spain?  I don't know.    But, again, my point is that for the future....now we had damned well better be prepared for a pandemic of the future, which could even be worse than this. And the point for the future is that each country should strive to be more independent and self sufficient to deal with this sort of thing in the future.  WE, SPAIN, THE WORLD WAS NOT READY FOR THIS.

If you don't want to face the brutal honesty of those facts, then find a hole in the sand to stick your head in.

Plus,  I still have no idea what Nero is talking about when he says equipment that had been paid for had be "confiscated".  I will have to do google search on that. 

OK, I have done so:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-us-accused-of-diverting-medical-equipment-from-countries-2020-4

I had not heard of this before.  It looks like both Turkey and the US may have diverted equipment bought by Spain...and other nations.     So, OK, I am fully on  Nero's side on this.   (this was NOT the sort of thing I was talking about...I was talking about producing them domestically, not seizing those that belonged/were paid for by others)

Of course  DJT  claims the report was false.....which only further leads to its credibility. 

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

**And thus with "callous" safely salted away, Gipper turns his attention to adding "obtuse" to his bio**

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Clearly  YOU are the one that is obtuse.  Along clearly with being ignorant of what the actual situation is and was. 

You provide absolutely no context for your snarky remarks.  You are as shallow as the baby pool in the park. 

Again,  sorry if you can't handle the truth. 

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Sigh... 

Will someone give Gip a puppy or something to keep him occupied so he doesn't feel the need to turn every thread into THE GIPPER HOUR? 

What do you have against puppies ?    :o

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Sigh... 

Will someone give Gip a puppy or something to keep him occupied so he doesn't feel the need to turn every thread into THE GIPPER HOUR? 

You clearly have paid NO attention.....it is the other guy here that is doing that.  I was trying to have a conversation with Nero on the coronavirus issue and the national responses thereto.........and then Tour intervened with his total obsessive snark  over me.    Without adding a single substantive word to the matter.   What do you call that post where he quotes me like 6 times?     And where he quoted himself 6 times.  I think the only reason you remember my posts is simply because they are more substantive...

28 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

What do you have against puppies ?    :o

LMAO... Laugh of the day!

Comedy in the age of Coronavirus...

Ever since Berry stole his sense of humor... I always thought Dutch might make a helluva straight man.

Also Gip's lack of balls are duly noted...

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

LMAO... Laugh of the day!

I always thought Dutch might make a helluva straight man...

Also Gip's lack of balls are duly noted...

Yea, right......says the Craven King. 

again...since you love to quote yourself, show us where you made one single substantive contribution to the discussion? All you have done here is to snark on me.  100% of you is that. 

5 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

PM of England is 55.

My bad.  I was thinking of Price Charles who's 71.....and claims to be on the other side of the illness.

US has needed an industrial policy since before I was born, and if this is the shock that forces policy changes to promote industries producing goods in the US, then there will at least be some good to come out of this.

The lack of preparedness for this is failing the very definition of "provide for the common good."  Pandemics aren't unexpected -- they happen with regularity, and will continue to happen.  This virus will come back - and will likely be stacked on top of the normal flu this fall.  It's going to be part of life.

We need to keep a stockpile and keep it replenished -- and because the N95 masks are high-end goods, there's margin to pay US wages for factories.  Look at Costco's loyalty and profits -- there's a market for companies to advertise lower-than-average exec pay rates.

US lack of response to a pandemic appears to be the historical trend especially in the military.

I am predicting hospital policy changes as well as normal life changes within the US -- becoming more like Asia with the wearing of masks in daily life.  I hope our hospitals enact the same policies as Singapore and HK did -- ER patients are met at the door, families wait outside the walls of the hospital [if they want] - nobody inside to ensure no cross-contamination.

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2020 at 11:43 PM, Unsympathetic said:

Calling it now: Next season may not happen.

You're going to get it -- the point of quarantine isn't to avoid.  The point is to be more like St Louis during the spanish flu of 1919.

In the US at present, 9 out of 10 tests are coming back negative for C.. fun,because you don't get tested unless you have some kind of symptom.. and the only way you keep testing for corona is after you're negative for both flu A and B.  If the test throws positive for A, they stop.. and if for B, they stop.

So how exactly do you prevent cross-contamination in a doctor's office == If you've got A and now get corona, you'd better not have any risk factors if you plan to live.

TLDR: Stay away from doctors' offices and ED's for testing.

Medicine has nothing to compensate once you lose certain levels of lung capacity.. there never was and never will be a substitute for a healthy human body.  One unfortunate issue is the people who would otherwise survive a trauma [or some such] if they could get a vent, but can't - because the civilian population has trouble accepting or understanding military-level triage.  This will take no less than 12-18 months to go thru the entire population until ~70% had it and now have immunity thus R stops being meaningful.

As for testing.. we can't test without the capacity to manufacture those tests, and we can't get treated without the capacity to gown and mask up.  It's almost like it was a bad thing to allow all our manufacturing capacity to leave whilst telling ourselves in the mirror that everyone wants to be Just Like Us... patriotism isn't an industrial policy.

it will be a miracle if there is an nfl season this yr.....period.....cancelled my eye doctor appt....called my dentist to move my date and they are closed until the middle of may...good for them...smart.....i don't think i rescheduled my yearly physical....went last yr at the end of this month...definetly not going......stay away from healthcare unless it is an emergency.....just an opinion....stay safe...

On 3/22/2020 at 9:07 PM, hoorta said:

We just had a service for one of my former co workers (age 69) who passed away a couple weeks ago from complications due to diabetes.  Clogged arteries.... 

And we have one of our wine group ladies that's on chemo for non-smoking lung cancer. She's not leaving the house except for treatment. 

The thing that's pretty shocking to me is the hospital my wife works at is cutting hours- because no one is going to the hospital... Go figure that one.... 

everyone is scared....think about it....my wife and i knew 3 people that went into the hospital about 5 yrs ago for simple procedures...they all died...unreal....very sad...they died from infections....the doctors could not even figure out what kind of infections...this is just 3  people that we knew...and the hospitals they were in were considered very good hospitals....they were not dirty filthy facilities....very well known hospitals....now with this virus, it all makes sense...no one wants to take a chance...i don't blame them...you just don't know....i hope it all works out for your wife...she is a trooper no matter what her job is at that hospital....i know you are proud of her....

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well...maybe. 

But the fact is, if someone says that a place is X kilometers or X meters.  away....we still say:  well, how far is that really....you know, in miles.

And if they say something weighs X kilograms...we will say:  "well, how much does it weigh really...in pounds.  Or ounces. 

So, as I said, our time system is just as "illogical"....so why are we not on metric time. 

Regarding the metric system... The USA is one of the last hold outs using Imperial measures. The "we" involves Americans who don't know how to properly wear a face mask, and are too damn stubborn to change. The scientific community long ago went metric. And if you want to work on a bicycle- you had better have metric tools. I'd be willing to bet most cars are almost exclusively metric now too.  

Regarding time- as one with an interest in astronomy I can tell you why time isn't metric. It starts because it takes 365.2xxxx "days" for the Earth to take one trip around the sun. A totally logical starting point. BTW, if we threw out a pretty accurate system of leap years, over time you'd have winter weather in July. 

There's also a difference between siderial (star) and synodic time. A given star rises roughly 4 minutes earlier every day because of the Earth's rotation around the sun. BTW- the Earth's rotation is slowing down, because of the moon's drag on the Earth. Every so often, we have to add a leap second. Why do we have months? Because from time almost immemorial, months were reckoned on the time it took new moon to new moon- back then they had guys who's only job was to keep a lookout for the new moon-roughly 29.5 days. (29.5 X 12 = 354) So no way to make that jive 10 months to a year. Sort of why 12 months got decided on. Be real fun to make it 10 hours in a day, 10 minutes to an hour, and 10 seconds to a minute. :)  

On 3/22/2020 at 9:07 PM, hoorta said:

The thing that's pretty shocking to me is the hospital my wife works at is cutting hours- because no one is going to the hospital... Go figure that one.... 

are they replacing your wife's age group with younger staff members maybe? Reason i ask is? we have 3400 cases in NC now, 22 in our county...My daughter, who is only 26, just got off materity leave...she can't returned to her breast exam job, due to they are closed...the hospitial put her staight to reliefing patient nurses inside the hospitial...scary times for grandpa, with 2 under age 5 grandkids & a real new newborn.. they also made it mantory to shower at sanitized hospitial before going home..Dad instructed her daughter, to do it again when she gets home..#goashleygo! 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Regarding the metric system... The USA is one of the last hold outs using Imperial measures. The "we" involves Americans who don't know how to properly wear a face mask, and are too damn stubborn to change. The scientific community long ago went metric. And if you want to work on a bicycle- you had better have metric tools. I'd be willing to bet most cars are almost exclusively metric now too.  

Regarding time- as one with an interest in astronomy I can tell you why time isn't metric. It starts because it takes 365.2xxxx "days" for the Earth to take one trip around the sun. A totally logical starting point. BTW, if we threw out a pretty accurate system of leap years, over time you'd have winter weather in July. 

There's also a difference between siderial (star) and synodic time. A given star rises roughly 4 minutes earlier every day because of the Earth's rotation around the sun. BTW- the Earth's rotation is slowing down, because of the moon's drag on the Earth. Every so often, we have to add a leap second. Why do we have months? Because from time almost immemorial, months were reckoned on the time it took new moon to new moon- back then they had guys who's only job was to keep a lookout for the new moon-roughly 29.5 days. (29.5 X 12 = 354) So no way to make that jive 10 months to a year. Sort of why 12 months got decided on. Be real fun to make it 10 hours in a day, 10 minutes to an hour, and 10 seconds to a minute. :)  

Well I think the metric time that the French revolutionaries developed would’ve been 100 minutes to an hour and 100 seconds to a minute. But since we don’t really follow the lunar cycle now when it comes to months months why would it matter if we only had 10 months

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

are they replacing your wife's age group with younger staff members maybe?

My son works at a local hospital, he told me that it's slow at his hospital.  No one is having elective surgery.  And if people get sick (non COVID 19) they don't want to go to a hospital.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gumby73 said:

are they replacing your wife's age group with younger staff members maybe? Reason i ask is? we have 3400 cases in NC now, 22 in our county...My daughter, who is only 26, just got off materity leave...she can't returned to her breast exam job, due to they are closed...the hospitial put her staight to reliefing patient nurses inside the hospitial...scary times for grandpa, with 2 under age 5 grandkids & a real new newborn.. they also made it mantory to shower at sanitized hospitial before going home..Dad instructed her daughter, to do it again when she gets home..#goashleygo! 

My wife is the second  and third shift laboratory supervisor.  Thankfully,  she has zero direct  patient contact. Most of the lab employees who work in that time frame are in a younger age group. Labs long ago adopted the  policy treat any samples that come  in as potentially  infectious.  They just brought Corona virus  testing in house. It's reserved for cases the Docs deem "highly suspicious ". Five out of  30 were positive. What that means, they don't have to  slap the 25 negative  patients in super isolation,  saving resources.  BTW, so far there's  been no indications  Corona is transmitted by blood,  unlike HIV  or hepatitis  which  are easily  transmitted  by that route. They're  even trying  an experimental  procedure transfusing plasma from folks who have  recovered from covid (theoretically they've  developed  Corona  antibodies) to people who are showing  serious  symptoms.  MHO is it can't  hurt, and is at least worth a shot. You can bet there's a lab out there working overtime trying to develop a  process to  clone those antibodies.  :)

What her hospital  is doing is  taking temperatures of everyone as they  enter and leave. Not normal? You don't come in, or aren't allowed to come back. And if you're  at home and not  feeling well, you're automatically told to not show  up for at least 5 days after until you are. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, hoorta said:

They're  even trying  an experimental  procedure transfusing plasma from folks who have  recovered from covid (theoretically they've  developed  Corona  antibodies) to people who are showing  serious  symptoms.

But there have been cases of people who've recovered, tested negative, and then later test positive and have it again.

13 minutes ago, Orion said:

But there have been cases of people who've recovered, tested negative, and then later test positive and have it again.

That wouldn't bode well for developing a vaccine. It's a moving target- To think we know everything about this virus in six months would be pretty naive. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

That wouldn't bode well for developing a vaccine. It's a moving target-

Could be a moving target.  Let's hope not.  And that the relapses of the illness are anomalies.  

22 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I know Nero said it.....I was referring to  what I was talking about:   the lack of preparedness, and the need to be better prepared in the future. 

I don't know that the UK  was any better prepared than the US or Spain....so this shit may just be starting for you all.   Be safe.

If you knew he said it why are you asking him who said it? 🤤

I read more than I post on here and Nero comes over as a nice guy and fair poster that's why I've came to his defence here. Perhaps if you clarified what people are saying and why they are saying it, before going  'off on one',  then you wouldn't need to be so aggressive in forcing your opinion down everyone's throat.

Keep safe. 

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

There's also a difference between siderial (star) and synodic time.

As IF we all did not know that... pfft... C'mon, h, that's insulting...

Did anybody know that? I didn't know that...

26 minutes ago, Claret&Brown said:

He didn't because to do so would mean having to read an entire 5-line post...

1 hour ago, Claret&Brown said:

You need to take things in context by reading the preceding thread wherein we were talking about domestic production of PPE and ventilators. then he diverted into about how bad it was that  the ventilators were being confiscated.  And my comment here was "who was talking about that"...the context being....that that was never even a point of discussion (in fact I didn't even know it had happened.)...the question I guess should have been "who else here is talking about that?"  

Again....read things in context...don't jump into the middle or end of a conversation and make ASSumptions about what has been said before without having the full picture.  

I read more than I post on here and Nero comes over as a nice guy and fair poster that's why I've came to his defence here. Perhaps if you clarified what people are saying and why they are saying it, before going  'off on one',  then you wouldn't need to be so aggressive in forcing your opinion down everyone's throat.

Take a chill pill Gomer or some of that  sour wine you are touting.  I can clarify what I am saying......but I can't account for what others say.  And, again, if you would take things in their context...instead of, again, making those assumptions, perhaps THAT would clear things up for you.  

Keep safe. 

You too.

58 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

As IF we all did not know that... pfft... C'mon, h, that's insulting...

Did anybody know that? I didn't know that...

He didn't because to do so would mean having to read an entire 5-line post...

Again, not a word of contribution to the issue.  Just  kunthole snark. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Again, not a word of contribution to the issue.  Just  kunthole snark. 

... or... and hear me out... useful instructions for Gipper.