THE BROWNS BOARD

Coronavirus and the NFL

Axe

9 hours ago, Nero said:

How curious. In Spain and other countries we are using taped stripes that are 2 meters apart (6' 9''). 

If the crisis ends up being worse in the US, we can call out your measuring system. 

Checkmate, Imperial System! Metric will always be better. 😎

PS: Spain is a mess (mostly Madrid) but I have no ill relatives and we're fine. Take care ya"ll ;)

The metric system was invented by the French Revolutionaries,  who would cut off your head if you didn't adhere.  Fuck that.

And besides....the metric system gives European  McDonald's the opportunity to cheat on the size/weight of their "Royale"  burger.  Here it has to be a Quarter Pounder...and the Bureau of weights and measures holds them to that.  so fuck the metric system for that reason as well.    :P

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

Yes it has been since March 15th. Some people like me started the quarantine 4-5 days earlier. 

Spain may end up being the most damaged country in the world if we don't stop the trend, thanks to a very old population and stupid politicians. 

Health masks and ventilators coming to our country (and already paid) have been confiscated in Turkey and USA, which doesn't help the matter either. 

Sorry to hear that bro... Hang in there!!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

Yes it has been since March 15th. Some people like me started the quarantine 4-5 days earlier. 

Spain may end up being the most damaged country in the world if we don't stop the trend, thanks to a very old population and stupid politicians. 

Health masks and ventilators coming to our country (and already paid) have been confiscated in Turkey and USA, which doesn't help the matter either. 

Well, you should do what we should have been doing.....making your own.  Instead of relying on imports. 

• Like 1

This story sounds like today's local 6 or 11 pm news but it has hit former NFL players at various ages.

.....Only four days ago came word that Tom Dempsey had recovered from COVID-19. The good news was short lived.

The former NFL kicker died late Saturday of complications from the coronavirus, the Times-Picayne reports. Dempsey was 73.

Dempsey had battled Alzheimer’s disease and dementia since 2012. He was one of several residents of a senior living facility in New Orleans to contract COVID-19, testing positive March 25.

At least 15 residents at the Lambeth House retirement home in Uptown New Orleans have died from the coronavirus, according to the Times-Picayune.

Dempsey becomes at least the second former NFL player to die after contracting COVID-19. Orlando McDaniel, who played three games for the Broncos in 1982, died last week. McDaniel was 59........

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Well, you should do what we should have been doing.....making your own.  Instead of relying on imports. 

:blink: Naive or insensitive?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

This story sounds like today's local 6 or 11 pm news but it has hit former NFL players at various ages.

.....Only four days ago came word that Tom Dempsey had recovered from COVID-19. The good news was short lived.

The former NFL kicker died late Saturday of complications from the coronavirus, the Times-Picayne reports. Dempsey was 73.

Dempsey had battled Alzheimer’s disease and dementia since 2012. He was one of several residents of a senior living facility in New Orleans to contract COVID-19, testing positive March 25.

Yea, mid-70's, other serious health issues, in a nursing home and in Louisiana area. Bad combination. Sounds like he was probably suffering and not really living a quality life to begin with. I am not being callous or poo pooing a passing from C19, but these are the demographics of the majority of casualties. That record kick stood 43 years. Wow. God bless. 

10 hours ago, Nero said:

How curious. In Spain and other countries we are using taped stripes that are 2 meters apart (6' 9''). 

If the crisis ends up being worse in the US, we can call out your measuring system. 

Checkmate, Imperial System! Metric will always be better. 😎

PS: Spain is a mess (mostly Madrid) but I have no ill relatives and we're fine. Take care ya"ll ;)

We're all in this pandemic mess regardless of how big or small your country might be so hang in there and good luck to you brother Nero.

........and thank goodness for Hamilton or the United States of America would have been stuck with that crazy British system of money.  Actually the metric system is a superior to the antiquated FIS system used by our country.  I remember in the steel construction industry what a nightmare it was with eights and sixteenth of an inch measurements on a job.  We'd buy our draftsmen FIS calculators to help them with detailing the drawings.

BUT we're 'Mericans dammit and we play  'Merican tackle football and drink  'Merican beer (well some of us others might like Molsons or Corona. :lol:)

Hang in there!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

:blink: Naive or insensitive?

An attempt to be realistic.    As much as I know that we live in an interdependent world....still, it is a case where, as a result of this, nation's should strive to be self sufficient in as many areas as they can. 

We have strived for that with the oil dependency situation...to some degree of success.  One of the reasons that the US is getting the worst end of this business is because we did not produce the materials and equipment here at time in sufficient quantities as something like this required. 

We should strive to bring much of our manufacturing base home....instead of having so much produced in China/Mexico etc.....just so that  corporate CEOs can rake in  1000 more times in salary than the average employee of those companies make.  This highlights that necessity, in my opinion. 

41 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

We're all in this pandemic mess regardless of how big or small your country might be so hang in there and good luck to you brother Nero.

........and thank goodness for Hamilton or the United States of America would have been stuck with that crazy British system of money.  Actually the metric system is a superior to the antiquated FIS system used by our country.  I remember in the steel construction industry what a nightmare it was with eights and sixteenth of an inch measurements on a job.  We'd buy our draftsmen FIS calculators to help them with detailing the drawings.

BUT we're 'Mericans dammit and we play  'Merican tackle football and drink  'Merican beer (well some of us others might like Molsons or Corona. :lol:)

Hang in there!

If you think the metric system works so well.....then why are we not employing metric time?  

As far as time is concerned, there are only 1 thing really "set in stone" and another more or less set that way......as they are set in nature:   The length of the  year....which IS set at  365 increments, being the number of units for the Earth to revolve around the Sun .   And the day is set around the length of time the Earth rotates on its axis.   But everything else:  Months, week, hours, minutes, seconds.....those are all man made constructs. There do not have to be 12 months in a year, although there is the lunar cycle which a month is loosely based on....but we certainly do not follow that  (maybe ancient and native cultures did).  There do not have to be 52 weeks, nor  7 day weeks, nor 24 hour days.  The hour does not have to be set in 60 minute increments, or the minute in 60 second increments.

Metric time tried to change all that:   10 months.  10 days in a week,  10 hours in a day...etc. 

I am not sure that the metric system of measurement is any better.   It is just easier for people who are dumb at math.  But...OK, most of us are dumb at math....so making things easier for more people may be better. 

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

An attempt to be realistic.    As much as I know that we live in an interdependent world....still, it is a case where, as a result of this, nation's should strive to be self sufficient in as many areas as they can. 

We have strived for that with the oil dependency situation...to some degree of success.  One of the reasons that the US is getting the worst end of this business is because we did not produce the materials and equipment here at time in sufficient quantities as something like this required. 

We should strive to bring much of our manufacturing base home....instead of having so much produced in China/Mexico etc.....just so that  corporate CEOs can rake in  1000 more times in salary than the average employee of those companies make.  This highlights that necessity, in my opinion. 

Realistic means admitting that every country including yours depends on imports thus confiscating them after they have been paid is fair play? Get the flag out of your mouth, it doesn't let oxygen into your brain. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/6/2020 at 5:04 PM, Nero said:

Realistic means admitting that every country including yours depends on imports thus confiscating them after they have been paid is fair play? Get the flag out of your mouth, it doesn't let oxygen into your brain. 

Who said a word about confiscating  products after they have been paid for?  

I know that countries rely on imports to a great extent.   I said that nations, your and ours, should strive to be more self sufficient, so as to not rely so heavily on imports.  That they should try to manufacture more of their own products to use for themselves so that they can be more independent when necessary.    I said fuck all about confiscating imports.    Where the hell did you come up with that?  Is that something that is happening?  It is nothing I have ever heard anything about.  

"Bringing manufacturing base home"  means having those factories located in the cities and states of this nation.  (or, in your case, your nation).  

I have no clue how you got that all FUBARed. 

18 hours ago, Nero said:

Good to hear!  Hadn't seen you around here and wondered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Prime Minister of England in Intensive Care......Not NFL...but a major World figure. 

Yeah, it was scary when we heard he tested positive.  He's slightly over 70.

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

An attempt to be realistic.

So both naive and insensitive...

Poster fears his country may be the most damaged in the world and your reply is, too bad you didn't make your own shit...

Sometimes you simply need to STFU, Gip... this was one of those times.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mohican said:

A week or so ago, Kirk Herbstreit   predicted no College or NFL football next fall  

Tom Brady might be heading to Tampa Bay, but the science says it may not be safe for him to play for the Buccaneers until 2021.

...and 2021 ain't no safe bet either.  We're all hoping that it ends soon, but what if it recesses some in our summer and then comes back as the fall comes in and then whacks us in the winter?  We could be right where we are now at this time next year.  Still awaiting the long awaited antidote.

The numbers are staggering.  30K plus new cases per day in the US.  The only country reporting low new cases is China.....and that's because they're lying through their teeth.  I saw on facebook (so it must be true) that over the last 3 months there are 21 million fewer cell phone users in China.  An exiled Chinese billionaire says that their incinerators are going 24/7.  And they're connecting them to the back doors of a great many hospitals.  (most probably the truth lies in the middle of those two extremes)

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The metric system was invented by the French Revolutionaries,  who would cut off your head if you didn't adhere.  Fuck that.

And besides....the metric system gives European  McDonald's the opportunity to cheat on the size/weight of their "Royale"  burger.  Here it has to be a Quarter Pounder...and the Bureau of weights and measures holds them to that.  so fuck the metric system for that reason as well.    :P

I'm more comfortable with the English measurements, but the metric system is far more logical, based on a 10-based system. 

• Thanks 1

Measurements  -  we have to get to ONE measurement system.....so we can all be on the same freakin' page.  Does that make sense or no?

The imperial system has bases that are all over the map.  The base 10 system makes more sense, no?

-------- alas, we're too entrenched.  The number of speed limit signs, overhead signs telling you miles to the exit (gonna have to move 'em), all of the tools & dies in manufacturing, etc.   <sigh>

20 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

So both naive and insensitive...

Poster fears his country may be the most damaged in the world and your reply is, too bad you didn't make your own shit...

Sometimes you simply need to STFU, Gip... this was one of those times.

Nero said that his country could not get the equipment he needs because they could not get them imported.   I said that they should not be relying on imports.  Sorry, sometimes the truth has to be told.  And I said the same applied to this country as well....that we should strive not to rely on imports of products if we are not capable of procuring those imports.  So...its too bad for us as well that we didn't make our own shit. 

And the fact is, this nation...the USA has like triple the number of cases of other countries...though I do think their per capita death rate is higher.   The thing is, and my point was that both nation are now suffering from a lack of foresight. 

Maybe your preference is for Trumplike treatment of the problem:  lie and  gloss over the facts and act like Pollyana. 

22 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Gip...

Until now it never occurred to add "callous" to the list of adjectives I use to describe you.

Congratulations...

Its not callousness...it is honesty.  Perhaps brutal honesty.   And maybe it is hindsight.  This is something that we, and Spain, and Italy and likely many other places were not prepared for.   Should we have been prepared for it?   That is where the hindsight comes in.  At least in this country the evidence is that there were several dire warnings that were ignored which, if they were not, we would have been much better prepared.  Is that the same situation in Spain?  I don't know.    But, again, my point is that for the future....now we had damned well better be prepared for a pandemic of the future, which could even be worse than this. And the point for the future is that each country should strive to be more independent and self sufficient to deal with this sort of thing in the future.  WE, SPAIN, THE WORLD WAS NOT READY FOR THIS.

If you don't want to face the brutal honesty of those facts, then find a hole in the sand to stick your head in.

Plus,  I still have no idea what Nero is talking about when he says equipment that had been paid for had be "confiscated".  I will have to do google search on that. 

OK, I have done so:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-us-accused-of-diverting-medical-equipment-from-countries-2020-4

I had not heard of this before.  It looks like both Turkey and the US may have diverted equipment bought by Spain...and other nations.     So, OK, I am fully on  Nero's side on this.   (this was NOT the sort of thing I was talking about...I was talking about producing them domestically, not seizing those that belonged/were paid for by others)

Of course  DJT  claims the report was false.....which only further leads to its credibility. 

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I am not sure it is logic...it is just simplicity.  Like I said....easier to do the math.

Simplicity can also be more "logical." Is it not more logical to have everything based on all units of 10 as opposed to one with various configurations across the board? How many pints in a quart? How many quarts in a gallon? How many yards in a mile? How many ounces in a pound? How many pounds in a ton? No rhyme or reason. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Its not callousness...it is honesty.  Perhaps brutal honesty.   And maybe it is hindsight.

**And thus with "callous" safely salted away, Gipper turns his attention to adding "obtuse" to his bio**