THE BROWNS BOARD

Coronavirus and the NFL

Axe

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Compassion. Tolerance. Empathy.

#AMERICASTRONG 

And it looks like the hoarders are finally getting the message at the grocery stores.  Stock is improving.... Except for one product.  

LOL, a little FYI- Charmin's main plant in Pennsylvania is still open, is cranking out product 24\7 by the trainload, and employs 2,200 workers. Even got some of their mothballed idled equipment up and running.  :)  Looks like the great TP Scare of 2020 will soon be over. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, hoorta said:

And it looks like the hoarders are finally getting the message at the grocery stores.  Stock is improving.... Except for one product.  

LOL, a little FYI- Charmin's main plant in Pennsylvania is still open, is cranking out product 24\7 by the trainload, and employs 2,200 workers. Even got some of their mothballed idled equipment up and running.  :)  Looks like the great TP Scare of 2020 will soon be over. 

I was well stocked long before this shit went down...( No Pun ) ... I have 16 rolls left...

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You lie when you say no pun intended.  !!!!!

How in the hell would you know?.. You're not sitting in my chair!! :P

9 hours ago, Icecube said:

Weird how so many actors and politicians are contracting it. 

Probably no more than regular folk. And what about athletes?   Its just that they are the ones you hear about. ...or, like Dutch said, they are the ones that can go get private testing. 

Now, even Prince Charles has it.   And he is certainly in the "concern group" just because of his age which is 71.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-prince-charles-tests-positive-for-covid-19-11963363

There have been 9 in our town and 19 in the county which is only those tested and confirmed. We are now on stay at home orders in this county as well as Travis county S of us with Austin part of that. If those 9 infected 10 each and on and on, there was good reason to place the lock-down. True number is unknown.

Still one case here in home county, but things are heating up all around us... especially to the east in Louisiana where the current rate of case rise is reported to be the highest seen in the world to date.

Happy Mardi Gras! Hey, Babe! Show me your virus!

Virus was even being transmitted via beads...

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Was it true that Texas was slow to take this seriously? 

I thought I heard - and correct me if I'm wrong - that Texas still had restaurants and bars open recently? 

Most counties are still open but mine is not. We can get takeout from restaurants, but otherwise travel is limited to essential only. We had planned a bluebonnet viewing trip this morning, but the limitations were put on by the county judge last night starting at midnight. With my luck we would have been stopped and fined driving through one of the podunk towns in the west side of the county on our way to the hill country bluebonnets. We will just have to walk over to the church about 4 blocks away where they have a huge open area full of them. You are allowed out to walk or bicycle as long as you maintain social distance of 6 ft or more.

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Was it true that Texas was slow to take this seriously? 

I thought I heard - and correct me if I'm wrong - that Texas still had restaurants and bars open recently? 

I'm not near a major population center like Ag is, but even here in The Piney Woods of the East Texas Hill Country our local gov'ts have been taking this pretty seriously for quite a while.

In addition to the minimum stuff like handwashing, distancing, group size, etc... schools have been closed for nearly 2 weeks... churches have suspended services and other gatherings... most businesses are closed or running on reduced staffs with telecommuting, e.g., my wife goes into her office, but handful of co-workers are well spread out and the front door is locked to visitors... restaurants are take out only... etc.

And all the above is in light of only one confirmed case in the county with just under 300 tests in to date.

Mayor is still keeping the big gun, mandatory stay at home, in reserve for now, but he's already announced he will not hesitate to use it at the first sign of spread. In fact was ready to a couple days ago when all signs were that we had a 2nd case looming, but results were negative.

Now the population here in Trump Country? Different matter... very split. Many don't get the fuss... others think we're reacting appropriately... and some even think we need to go further.

Side Note: Many restaurants that have not seen enough carry out business are selling out their fresh food inventory at reasonable prices.

And our local lockdown starts tomorrow at 23:59.

Had two more cases confirmed in the past 24 hrs... so Mayor pulled that trigger.

Fun fact: Italian death rate for Lombardi isn't higher than normal.

Again: The issue isn't "are people coming down with something" -- better phrased, it's "Are people being affected AND HAVING THE NEGATIVE OUTCOME at a higher rate than what might be expected by chance" -- and to date the answer is a resounding no.  Granted, "by chance" is doing a lot of work in that sentence.. but still, facts are fun.

Where are all the coffin off that cruise ship?  So.. 10 died out of the 800 who tested positive.. and what's the demographics of the population that goes on cruises?  Who wants to bet $5 that those 10 had a med reconciliation list longer than a page?  Although we can't say any of those people were certain to fall over when they did.. reality is that we can't say why they stayed alive that long either.

The problem from the medical perspective is.. this isn't actually kicking up death rates, so from hospital perspective it's just business as usual with patients who are more scared than normal.  All this talk about "ventilators" that you hear... As a patient you want to AVOID a vent if at all possible because the stats on those [especially w covid] are something like 90-95% of people who go on a vent never come off.. so that sounds to me like a scheme to bill for more cash rather than actually save lives.  It's not ventilators that save lives -- it's testing more population earlier to start interventions earlier. [and avoid sugar in your 20's so you don't get diabetes in your 40's and go on the list of people with a compromised system etc etc]

This is kind of fascinating as a human psychology study : it's like the entire world is rediscovering that nature always wins.  Even so.. don't freak out..

Sean Payton is by far the "normal" example of what happens to a person who has the corona - feels like normal flu, improving after a couple days.

• Upvote 1

Actual transmission is nearly all fecal-oral on surfaces.

Hospitals were the amplifiers in China - they take it out into community and spread it.  However.. Singapore/HK found that if every hospital worker washed hands religiously before and after every patient and wore a basic mask and cleaned all surfaces between patients, the cases NEVER ticked up. In those places they didn't follow people around who had contacted a positive pt unless you had been in close proximity for 30 min.. 

I am glad that people are reacting.. but instead of running around throwing metaphorical feces, it's time to learn how to do what works both for now and the future rather than wait until that response takes a lot more effort.  And for the US to stop thinking of people as ADD who wash their hands all the time both inside and outside of the hospital..  Note that HK and Singapore were ready for this because they got over the "newness" of actually reacting to a pandemic with SARS.

As of yesterday morning, 11 people had died of this pandemic in Los Angeles county, meanwhile 27 were killed in traffic accidents during that same time.

The entire heard of wildebeests know that they have to get across the river to the abundance of food and that not all of them will survive the crossing. They know some of the weak and even a few of the strong will be lost, but they also know that they have to get across the river before it swells so large that none of them will survive the crossing. 

They know that they can't stay on the side of the river that they are already on, because there will not be enough food to feed the entire heard while they are waiting for the river to subside, resulting in the obliteration of the heard.

I have an 83yr old dad, a 79yr old mom, an 80yr old mother in-law and a 25yr old daughter and I'm fully aware of the 1% chance of the fatal consequences of this flu and what it means to each and every one of them if they contract it. 

I'm also aware of the absolutely staggering chance that of all of their futures - especially my daughter's,  becoming something resembling a 3rd world country with the complete and total destruction of not only ours, but the world's economy. 

12 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

The problem from the medical perspective is.. this isn't actually kicking up death rates,

OK... Then why the run on refrigerated trailers in NYC because the morgues are nearly full? I see claims, but no data to back them up. Maybe a link?

12 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

As a patient you want to AVOID a vent if at all possible because the stats on those [especially w covid] are something like 90-95% of people who go on a vent never come off.

Nice proviso... "[especially w covid}"... but assuming your percentage is in the ballpark how can you argue that covid is not increasing the death rate given that:

After intubation, 31 percent of patients ages 65 to 74 survive the hospitalization and return home. But for 80- to 84-year-olds, that figure drops to 19 percent; for those over age 90, it slides to 14 percent.Jun 22, 2018

Breathing Tubes Fail to Save Many Older Patients - The New ...

Ventilators definitely "save lives"... they buy time for those too weak to breath on their own... time for drugs to kick in when drugs are available.

I know this as both my Dad (back in the late-80's) and Bro-in-law (last year) were on vents while being treated for pneumonia they developed while hospitalized for other reasons.

8 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Note that HK and Singapore were ready for this because they got over the "newness" of actually reacting to a pandemic with SARS.

HK and Sing also social distanced and self-isolated despite their gov't's inability to order such measures. Again this appears to be due to a collective memory of SARS carrying over.

We don't have an event we can rely upon... even if we did, we'd probably have forgotten it by now.

And hand washing/sanitizing upon entering a patient's room is now a Best Practice for US hospitals. I know... the one where I had my hip surgery done employs it and asks patients to freely remind any staff that they see skip the hand station by the door to sanitize before they touch.

They are now in the top 1% of US hospitals for infection rates.

8 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Hospitals were the amplifiers in China

Being as how hospitals are where sick people go, has there ever been an epidemic when at least initially this was not the case?

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Being as how hospitals are where sick people go, has there ever been an epidemic when at least initially this was not the case?

Churches back in the olden days. Make America Churchy Again? Get back devil!🤴

MiB.jpg

Agent J:   Why the big secret? People are smart, they can handle it.

Agent K:   A *person* is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it.

• Upvote 1

Ordered a Chinese take out for delivery. Chinese driver walks down the drive towards the door and I walk down the drive to meet him. He started shouting isolate isolate. I said calm down .... you're not  late I only ordered it 15 minutes ago...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Orion said:

By the end of the day the US will have more coronavirus cases then any other country in the world.

We were ahead of schedule...

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

image.thumb.png.c86167c1bbe6f7ccb0f3ed2878e9811b.png

• Sad 1

On 3/25/2020 at 3:32 PM, Orion said:

at the end of typing link, try hitting your space bar 2 or 3 times..video should than open on screen.. 

We knew, Freddie Merk died to soon

We have had at a stay at home order since last Thursday here in CA.  We had about half of the people here take it seriously.  They posted pictures of crowds at the beach and  people shopping for non-essentials.  They initially Said exercise and going outside is fine so everyone congregated to the parks!!!  They closed those Monday- finally.  Loads of people complaining about the lack of testing but they aren’t even taking social distancing seriously.  Stay away from people it is pretty simple.

It is getting a little better this week.  They’ve ordered fines for people out and about for no reason.   I’m a 50% essential employee working half home and half in the office.  It is little strange driving in downtown San Diego with a handful of people walking around. Strange times indeed.

• Thanks 1