THE BROWNS BOARD

Coronavirus and the NFL

Axe

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Well.... then the USA is screwed...

I never fail to forget just how stressful even managed diabetes is on the body...

We just had a service for one of my former co workers (age 69) who passed away a couple weeks ago from complications due to diabetes.  Clogged arteries.... 

44 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

We have a diabetic friend who also just completed radiation for breast cancer. She is severely compromised and at age 70 pretty scared about this virus. I can't blame her one little bit.

And we have one of our wine group ladies that's on chemo for non-smoking lung cancer. She's not leaving the house except for treatment. 

The thing that's pretty shocking to me is the hospital my wife works at is cutting hours- because no one is going to the hospital... Go figure that one.... 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Ummmm... later, please... :)

Of course. later is always better given the option- it's a question of how much later. 

When all is said and done, we'll tote up how much each life we've "theoretically" saved was worth vis- a- vis tanking the economy to the tune of a trillion dollars- and counting..... Don't know about you, but I see a replay of 1929 on the very near horizon.  

Pretty hard to tell people not to panic, when the government clearly is....  

"As governments in the U.S. and around the globe impose more restrictions to stop the spread of COVID-19, an emergency health expert says locking down societies alone isn't enough.

What we really need to focus on is finding those who are sick, those who have the virus, and isolate them, find their contacts and isolate them,” said Mike Ryan, executive director of the World Health Organization's Health Emergencies Program.

If we don’t put in place the strong public health measures now, when those movement restrictions and lockdowns are lifted, the danger is the disease will jump back up,” Ryan said in an interview Sunday on the BBC’s “Andrew Marr Show.”

'nuff said. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

OTOH get everybody infected, cull the herd ASAP is the fastest way to return to normal.

Nope.  Fastest way is what St Louis did during the 1919 flu pandemic -- decrease the amount hitting the medical system at once so that the max number of people can get treatment and live.  1919 was substantially worse than this because it had a W-hump -- it killed children, old people, and early 30's.  St Louis shut down early and sustained the shutdown longer than every other US city.. and consequently had the lowest death rate and it wasn't close.

As well, there will be waves of this because there is no vaccine. 

To date, there is no trial with accurate measurements that is showing anything more than what might happen by chance.  The 2 HCQ trials don't measure the viral loads during the treatments -- seriously, the science isn't actually being done.  This is one of the potential problems if you just believe all marketing headlines are truth...

And cut the nonsense racist stuff that is said -- MERS was middle east, swine flu was Mexico, mad cow was UK.. and the 1919 flu pandemic was Kansas.  [It's called the Spanish flu because spain's reporters were first to report on it] Each and every person who thinks or says publically that China should "apologize" for this should have thrown right back in their face "So when will you, as a representative of the US, apologize to the world for the 1919 pandemic which had 3 worldwide waves and lasted more than 2 years?"  Didn't think so. 

As well, coronavirus was not made in a lab - it's nature.

• Upvote 2

just a shame there the lovely USA is behind the 8 ball on testing.

About a week ago I didn't have a fever but all the other symptoms. Called my doctor who asked me 1) had I traveled internationally, 2)did I know anyone infected. Answer to both was no, so they said simply they don't test people without yes to those questions. Down where I live (south florida) they set up a mobile testing area. Great right? until it came out they have capability to test approximately 60 people a day, got overwhelmed and closed two days later. As of this morning my situation is still what qualifies people for a test. People are straight up lying to get tested.

Fortunately my work was very good about switching to remote work, and I had ability even with a baby to self-isolate. Think of the millions of people who can't do that though. Tough to see people like Kevin Durant get tested when he had zero symptoms too. I get it, rich people gonna rich people but still.

Did anyone watch this sunday's 60 minutes ?   Good information on where we are at with testing, work on vaccine, economic impact etc.  If you're interested.... might have to try different streaming sites to get in like YouTube, etc......

https://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes

S52 E25 Stopping the Virus, The Economic Emergency, A Populist Movement

Scientists rush to develop a novel coronavirus vaccine; Then, Fed official uncertain how economy will fare during the coronavirus crisis; And, why Hungary is paying its citizens to start families
Edited by mjp28
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hoorta said:

Of course. later is always better given the option- it's a question of how much later. 

When all is said and done, we'll tote up how much each life we've "theoretically" saved was worth vis- a- vis tanking the economy to the tune of a trillion dollars- and counting..... Don't know about you, but I see a replay of 1929 on the very near horizon.  

Pretty hard to tell people not to panic, when the government clearly is.... 

My "later" wishes are fairly modest... see my youngest Grandchild graduate HS. She's turning 6 in August. So about 12 more years. Should get me thru the other two's college graduations and maybe let me see a great grandkid or two. If the Browns see the SB.... well... that's just gravy.

When my Grandpa Tour was in his mid-90's I asked him if he was going to live to be 100... "I hope not," was his answer. He passed when he was 99.

'29? Not feeling that, but could be. We are going to see 20+% unemployment for at least a brief period, but I do expect a snap back. As my other Grandpa used to say, "The 30's were a pretty good time, if you had a job." He worked for AT&T.

Panic.... letting that one be for now.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

To date, there is no trial with accurate measurements that is showing anything more than what might happen by chance.  The 2 HCQ trials don't measure the viral loads during the treatments -- seriously, the science isn't actually being done.  This is one of the potential problems if you just believe all marketing headlines are truth...

SCIENCE!

Fauci keeps trying to tell "folk", but...

On 3/22/2020 at 11:44 PM, Unsympathetic said:

1)) Nope.  Fastest way is what St Louis did during the 1919 flu pandemic -- decrease the amount hitting the medical system at once so that the max number of people can get treatment and live.  1919 was substantially worse than this because it had a W-hump -- it killed children, old people, and early 30's.  St Louis shut down early and sustained the shutdown longer than every other US city.. and consequently had the lowest death rate and it wasn't close.

As well, there will be waves of this because there is no vaccine. 

2) As well, coronavirus was not made in a lab - it's nature.

1) OK, I'll even buy the premise that what we're doing will decrease the number of deaths. (which I'm not 100% positive of)  I certainly don't want to see a repeat of Italy here. But at what social cost otherwise? One Harvard epidemiologist said 18 months of lock down to prevent subsequent waves. Let that sink in for a minute what that would mean. Some business are already teetering on the brink- hotels and new startups. Uncounted more that couldn't withstand a sustained shutdown will go belly up .  When they fail, it puts their employees out of work and the whole thing will snowball into a 1929 style depression. If you don't think that's a very real possibility, I'd suggest you reconsider. Uncle Sam cranks up the printing presses to hand out money, well, a nice inflation spiral could kick in, and wipe out everyone's IRAs.  Let's just look at what an 18 month shutdown would do to the sporting world. 2020 MLB- gone. and I'll assume those guys are going to rake in their mega salaries if there's fans in the stands or not. Summer Olympics- adios. 2020 College Football, NFL, NHL, NBA seasons- sayanora. Pretty scary stuff. 

2) That link should be posted to the Political Forum, because there's still a few conspiracy theorists over there who think this is a deliberate Chinese germ bomb. I'm pretty amazed at the amount of research that's been accomplished about this virus in so short a time. Sure explains why the damn thing is so contagious- It's got a very efficient mechanism of spreading itself. The virus may have gotten smarter, but we have too. I know enough molecular biology to see where this is heading if we've figured out what the virus' hook proteins are. LOL, OK it is sort of Rocket Science. Find something that will inhibit those proteins from attaching to a host cell. 

41 minutes ago, hoorta said:

1) OK, I'll even buy the premise that what we're doing will decrease the number of deaths. (which I'm not 100% positive of)  I certainly don't want to see a repeat of Italy here. But at what social cost otherwise? One Harvard epidemiologist said 18 months of lock down to prevent subsequent waves. Let that sink in for a minute what that would mean. Some business are already teetering on the brink- hotels and new startups. Uncounted more that couldn't withstand a sustained shutdown will go belly up .  When they fail, it puts their employees out of work and the whole thing will snowball into a 1929 style depression. If you don't think that's a very real possibility, I'd suggest you reconsider. Uncle Sam cranks up the printing presses to hand out money, well, a nice inflation spiral could kick in, and wipe out everyone's IRAs.  Let's just look at what an 18 month shutdown would do to the sporting world. 2020 MLB- gone. and I'll assume those guys are going to rake in their mega salaries if there's fans in the stands or not. Summer Olympics- adios. 2020 NFL, NHL, NBA seasons- sayanora. Pretty scary stuff. 

2) That link should be posted to the Political Forum, because there's still a few conspiracy theorists over there who think this is a deliberate Chinese germ bomb. I'm pretty amazed at the amount of research that's been accomplished about this virus in so short a time. Sure explains why the damn thing is so contagious- It's got a very efficient mechanism of spreading itself. The virus may have gotten smarter, but we have too. I know enough molecular biology to see where this is heading if we've figured out what the virus' hook proteins are. LOL, OK it is sort of Rocket Science. Find something that will inhibit those proteins from attaching to a host cell. 

The big problem with this virus.. is it uses your own dna and material to replicate itself.. that alone is frightening...

54 minutes ago, nickers said:

The big problem with this virus.. is it uses your own dna and material to replicate itself.. that alone is frightening...

For some reason Invasion of the Body Snatchers leapt to mine...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Actually Nickers- that's the case with all viruses, though I might be wrong in a few instances- someone can fact check me if they'd like to. Viruses can't replicate on their own, they need a host cell to help them out. That's why when you have a cold, your nose turns into a faucet- those viruses are busy destroying cells in your nose. Unfortunately, Covid likes lung tissue better, so that's why people are dying of pneumonia. :( This is unlike bacteria who can multiply on their own, assuming the media they find themselves in is favorable. 

From Wiki....   . "Viral replication is the formation of biological viruses during the infection process in the target host cells. Viruses must first get into the cell before viral replication can occur. Through the generation of abundant copies of its genome and packaging these copies, the virus continues infecting new hosts. Replication between viruses is greatly varied and depends on the type of genes involved in them. Most DNA viruses assemble in the nucleus while most RNA viruses develop solely in cytoplasm."

On a happier note, I've mentioned it before, though not directly- we've harnessed this same process in forensic medicine- ever wonder how they figure out where that one drop of blood came from? I was involved in a similar process my last few years at Community Blood Center screening donors for super rare blood types.  It's call PCR, polymerase chain reaction. You can take one bit of human DNA ( or a singe virus) and make a zillion copies of its DNA, if you have the right reagents to do so. What's even scarier with the human genome project, we know exactly where in a person's DNA and on what chromosome the base pairs that make a person a group A, B, Rh positive or negative, and a few hundred other blood types are located....  

As I opined when I replied to Unsympathetic- we need to find the magic bullet that will prevent this virus from attaching to human cells. Instant treatment. We already know exactly what part of a human cell this virus uses as the gateway to get inside. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nickers said:

The big problem with this virus.. is it uses your own dna and material to replicate itself

And every virus!

Instead of complaining about the CDC the few times nature is random enough to mutate beyond predictions, I've thought for some time we should be asking how the CDC is correct so often with their predictions for the flu shot.  The predictions are made almost 6 months before the vaccine is released..

This handy site is updated daily with the current combination of US identified statistics and statewide beds.

As to the HCQ.. the science doesn't justify it at all.  Putting this out is the drunk looking for his keys underneath the lamppost because that's where the light is.. got nothing to do with where the keys might actually be.

I tried the political forum once - and have a couple people on ban because of it.  People are welcome to their own feelings - but not their own facts - and not everyone is interested in the difference.  I don't think of politics like a team sport.. many people can't process that.  In every political discussion I seek first to completely define the problem before even thinking about the solution.. many people would rather react emotionally with something vomited from a Fox donor or a MSNBC donor, at which point I'm interested in what's happening in another room.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That's the way it works if you don't go along with the self-proclaimed genius in charge.

We won't get too political here Ag, but it's been stated from some quarters you know who is more interested in saving the economy than saving lives. :) In the interest of fairness, seems the left is turning that rescue package into a political football. But I haven't had the time to take a look at what's got their panties in a bunch.... 

15 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Knowing that genius, he'll appoint the owner of CVS or RiteAid as his replacement. 

And if Pelosi announces it, she'll have 3 strokes in front of the podium while trying to keep her teeth in her mouth before getting to the verb of her first sentence to announce Biden who won't know where he is.  All of her sentences sound like she's currently gargling ball bearings.  I'm inspired!

Of course, Mitch called normal workers "Big Labor" on the floor of the Senate today.  How dare anyone want to do something for a business that doesn't pollute AND help normal people at the same time! A simple corporate politician can only take so much!

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Sounds like this thread should be moved off the football board, and onto the politics or Barber Shop.   I know this in an important deal.....but I still think we are capable of compartmentalizing. 

LOL, you can blame Ag. I'll leave well enough alone, and leave the politics out of it..  :)  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Sounds like this thread should be moved off the football board, and onto the politics or Barber Shop.   I know this in an important deal.....but I still think we are capable of compartmentalizing. 

Get back to your draft and the accompanying dozen separate threads associated with it, Gip.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Get back to your draft and the accompanying dozen separate threads associated with it, Gip.  

The "threads associated with it"  are the same threads that are associated with it every single year, no matter who has been the commissioner.  In fact, I was reminded and advised by Darren (who I think ran things last year) to include  a "pick by team" thread and a "pick by position" thread, in addition to the pick thread and the discussion thread.  

Why didn't you choose to participate? 

47 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

The "threads associated with it"  are the same threads that are associated with it every single year, no matter who has been the commissioner.  In fact, I was reminded and advised by Darren (who I think ran things last year) to include  a "pick by team" thread and a "pick by position" thread, in addition to the pick thread and the discussion thread.  

Why didn't you choose to participate? 

Because I didn't want to? 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Fair enough. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Have fun though! 

Compassion. Tolerance. Empathy.

#AMERICASTRONG 

• Haha 1