THE BROWNS BOARD

Coronavirus and the NFL

Axe

Calling it now: Next season may not happen.

You're going to get it -- the point of quarantine isn't to avoid.  The point is to be more like St Louis during the spanish flu of 1919.

In the US at present, 9 out of 10 tests are coming back negative for C.. fun,because you don't get tested unless you have some kind of symptom.. and the only way you keep testing for corona is after you're negative for both flu A and B.  If the test throws positive for A, they stop.. and if for B, they stop.

So how exactly do you prevent cross-contamination in a doctor's office == If you've got A and now get corona, you'd better not have any risk factors if you plan to live.

TLDR: Stay away from doctors' offices and ED's for testing.

Medicine has nothing to compensate once you lose certain levels of lung capacity.. there never was and never will be a substitute for a healthy human body.  One unfortunate issue is the people who would otherwise survive a trauma [or some such] if they could get a vent, but can't - because the civilian population has trouble accepting or understanding military-level triage.  This will take no less than 12-18 months to go thru the entire population until ~70% had it and now have immunity thus R stops being meaningful.

As for testing.. we can't test without the capacity to manufacture those tests, and we can't get treated without the capacity to gown and mask up.  It's almost like it was a bad thing to allow all our manufacturing capacity to leave whilst telling ourselves in the mirror that everyone wants to be Just Like Us... patriotism isn't an industrial policy.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Calling it now: Next season may not happen.

Thought has crossed my mind as well... at least not in its entirety.

Even if we tamp it down now and it turns out that summer heat does impact transmittal, it may well make a Fall comeback.

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Thought has crossed my mind as well... at least not in its entirety.

Even if we tamp it down now and it turns out that summer heat does impact transmittal, it may well make a Fall comeback.

Or it spreads enough and there's herd immunity.... We'll know how lethal it really is when we get a handle on the survival rates of infected folks that are otherwise healthy. 

2 hours ago, ATOM said:

the 19 is here to stay untill there is a cure

No "cure" for a virus, just effective vaccines and treatment. It took years to develop effective anti-retro viral drugs to combat AIDS.  When that disease first started spreading, you were a certain goner- like Freddie Mercury. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Or it spreads enough and there's herd immunity.... We'll know how lethal it really is when we get a handle on the survival rates of infected folks that are otherwise healthy. 

No "cure" for a virus, just effective vaccines and treatment. It took years to develop effective anti-retro viral drugs to combat AIDS.  When that disease first started spreading, you were a certain goner- like Freddie Mercury. 

hep c meds are pretty much a cure....i think the best anti viral cures up to 96 to 98 percent...pretty close to an all out cure...

4 hours ago, browns52 said:

hep c meds are pretty much a cure....i think the best anti viral cures up to 96 to 98 percent...pretty close to an all out cure...

Well, yes regarding hepatitis c, forgot about that one. But IIRC you had better have great drug coverage if you want treatment.  :)  Estimated costs for a standard 12-week treatment with sosobuvir was $84,000

But LOL, that's not the crisis virus of the moment. When I researched it, the estimate is 2,000,000+ people in the USA are infected with hep c, and golly gee- if untreated a bunch of those folks die. 

• Upvote 1

As of typing this, in South Korea where they have been testing the highest and for the longest, the official numbers are: 

South Korea:    Total Infected: 8,799        Died: 104        Death Rate:  0.0118        (  https://ncov2019.live/data  )

In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 36 million illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).      Death Rate:   0.0594

It's not 19 I'm worried about..... it's the total hysteria and the actions of our "trusted leaders" causing the eventual Greatest Depression Ever that will devastate life as we know it. 

Football? lol 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, hoorta said:

The problem with HIV was it was a virus constantly changing so there was never going to be a vaccine that would get approved by the FDA in time to be effective.  Having said that, you are correct Hoorta that it can be treated with meds that prolong life as long as they are compliant.  Again, because the virus rapidly changes if someone goes off their prescribed drug for any length of time - that particular drug may no longer be effective once they try to resume with it.  Furthermore, the people that don't stop IV drug abuse while they have AIDS can still die prematurely (not sure if it's from the drug abuse or AIDS or the synergistic combination of the 2).   Soooo, you have to be compliant with treatment and take it serious - which isn't always easy for some previous lifestyles to completely about-face.

Both of William Green's parents had it and died from it.  His father died when William was 12 and his mother died 1 year later.  William's dad was an IV drug user with heroin; and he gave the disease to William's mother (which he never forgave his father for). Lucky for William and his siblings, their grandmother raised them.  I know some people remember William most for his short NFL career that got sideswiped by bad choices off the field.  But somewhere in that guy there was a resilience that got him through high school and a scholarship to play football at BC.  Unfortunately, he had a couple suspensions for marijuana use during his college career. Through it all, he became the 1st RB drafted in the 2002 NFL Draft.   Remember the last year Cleveland made the playoffs?    It was 2002.  Green emerged after a slow start to average over 100 yards rushing per game over the last 7 games (we went 5-2 in that span).  96 vrs Cin, 114 vrs NO, 94 vrs Car, 119 vrs Jax, 69 vrs Ind, 178 vrs Atl.  Prior to his suspension the next year, he had a couple games over 100 yards vrs Oak and Pitt before X's and O's turned into Ex's and Uh-Ohs...

Back to resilience, William became and ordained Minister in 2012. Once he started sharing his walk, the demand to hear him speak increased like the demand to see him play football in the Big East did once upon a time.  Schools, churches and corporations were constantly booking him to speak.  Last I heard, he had 8 kids.  Football wasn't William Green's greater purpose. It was merely a reminder that life also handed him enough gifts and strengths to overcome bad choices, persevere and become a successful motivational speaker. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well, yes regarding hepatitis c, forgot about that one. But IIRC you had better have great drug coverage if you want treatment.  :)  Estimated costs for a standard 12-week treatment with sosobuvir was $84,000

But LOL, that's not the crisis virus of the moment. When I researched it, the estimate is 2,000,000+ people in the USA are infected with hep c, and golly gee- if untreated a bunch of those folks die. 

So true, cures or at least supression at a cost.   

I've been dealing with a tunneling wound in my hip for 5+ years and thank goodness I had/have good insurance.  I've had two bouts of aestomylitis  (infection) of the hip then pelvis in 2017 and 2019 which took months and months of inpatient treatments at a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Plus my wife is a nurse and I have many good doctors  -but- it is expensive.  

And now we have a pandemic in 140+ countries...... serious stuff.

3 hours ago, D Bone said:

As of typing this, in South Korea where they have been testing the highest and for the longest, the official numbers are: 

South Korea:    Total Infected: 8,799        Died: 104        Death Rate:  0.0118        (  https://ncov2019.live/data  )

In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 36 million illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).      Death Rate:   0.0594

It's not 19 I'm worried about..... it's the total hysteria and the actions of our "trusted leaders" causing the eventual Greatest Depression Ever that will devastate life as we know it. 

Football? lol 

Right on the $

On 3/19/2020 at 6:06 PM, jcam222 said:

If we actually were up to speed doing the testing as we should be there would be a LOT more reported cases, famous or not. 

Yes. This. Obviously this is new and unprecedented so we're all learning how to handle it.  However this statement above is why it is irresponsible to report on the death rate being high (over 3%). The only people being tested (that aren't rich and famous)  are the most severe cases of COVID19. There are so many people who have it and recover but they aren't part of the statistics because they were never confirmed cases.  Its like saying the death rate for breast cancer is 78% because that's what it is for stage 4 breast cancer (and those are the only types of cases they are confirming) but in reality the death rate of breast cancer as a whole is actually only 9%. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Yes. This. Obviously this is new and unprecedented so we're all learning how to handle it.  However this statement above is why it is irresponsible to report on the death rate being high (over 3%). The only people being tested (that aren't rich and famous)  are the most severe cases of COVID19. There are so many people who have it and recover but they aren't part of the statistics because they were never confirmed cases.  Its like saying the death rate for breast cancer is 78% because that's what it is for stage 4 breast cancer (and those are the only types of cases they are confirming) but in reality the death rate of breast cancer as a whole is actually only 9%. 

Exactly  right. We won't  know what the true morality rate of Corona is, because so many  cases are asymptomatic or mild. Of the people who do show severe symptoms,  we know it's  plenty  lethal in folks with additional health  factors,  or the very elderly.  I'm  still  of the opinion going to the unprecedented steps that have been  taken  is excessive.  Isolate those most at risk. We can't totally shut the country down  for a year+ as one Harvard health  expert opined if we're only  interested in  minimizing the  deaths. 

25 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Up to now, there are no cures for a virus. 

wait ? what ?

are you saying were all gonna die ? 

oh the humanity 

aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

1 hour ago, ATOM said:

wait ? what ?

are you saying were all gonna die ? 

oh the humanity 

aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

No, our bodies figure out how to fight them most of the time, this thing looks like it will kill 1-2% who get it. But antibiotics won't do a thing. 

10 minutes ago, Icecube said:

No, our bodies figure out how to fight them most of the time, this thing looks like it will kill 1-2% who get it. But antibiotics won't do a thing. 

thats cool cause i woke up today with a nice cough

6 hours ago, D Bone said:

So you're good with a 1+% death rate?

Also the Death Rate stat is skewed by using total cases as the denominator. Of the 8799 only 2293 have recovered. While none of the remaining 6500+ are classified as "Serious", eliminating the possibility of some dying is premature.

Yes, S. Korea has done a lot of testing, but they also reacted faster and have bent the curve, where we are still seeing our case curve growing more vertical... with beaches still open for Spring break.

16 hours ago, hoorta said:

When I researched it, the estimate is 2,000,000+ people in the USA are infected with hep c, and golly gee- if untreated a bunch of those folks die. 

How many of those are walking around not knowing they have it?

And last I read it's not transmittable thru a sneeze... although apparently sharing a toothbrush can do it.

Fortunately I only do that during unprotected sex with my wife... and only my wife.

20 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

So you're good with a 1+% death rate?

Also the Death Rate stat is skewed by using total cases as the denominator. Of the 8799 only 2293 have recovered. While none of the remaining 6500+ are classified as "Serious", eliminating the possibility of some dying is premature.

Yes, S. Korea has done a lot of testing, but they also reacted faster and have bent the curve, where we are still seeing our case curve growing more vertical... with beaches still open for Spring break.

I don't know  if I'm good with it  Tour, but  it's sure  looking like 1% or so is going to be the  number. Higher in the elderly and those with  underlying health problems.  

Couple  deaths in a  nursing home  50 miles north of  Dayton. 

But in general,  you're not going to  see a lot of  geriatrics on the beach. It's a  legit question how long folks are going to be  willing to  put up with these restrictions before they  give the epidemiologist crowd a big F-YOU, we're getting  on with our lives Corona virus  be damned. Already  happening  on spring break? 

There's going to be  deaths regardless of how draconian the measures  taken are. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Well for Nero and London, the former president of Real Madrid died at age 76 in a Madrid hospital from coronavirus infection. Underlying diabetes was a factor.

https://sports.yahoo.com/real-madrid-president-lorenzo-sanz-dies-coronavirus-covid19-diagnosis-positive-champions-league-la-liga-223054489.html

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

There's going to be  deaths regardless of how draconian the measures  taken are. 

Sure... but the sooner the more draconian measures are taken the fewer the deaths and the sooner the return to normal...

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Underlying diabetes

Well.... then the USA is screwed...

I never fail to forget just how stressful even managed diabetes is on the body...

36 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Well.... then the USA is screwed...

I never fail to forget just how stressful even managed diabetes is on the body...

We have a diabetic friend who also just completed radiation for breast cancer. She is severely compromised and at age 70 pretty scared about this virus. I can't blame her one little bit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Sure... but the sooner the more draconian measures are taken the fewer the deaths and the sooner the return to normal...

Hypothetical Tour- you don't know that, and neither do I.  That's what the Power of God, suspend civil liberties (voting, freedom of assembly) epidemiologists would like you to believe. Constitution isn't worth the paper it was written on. Die now, or die later is the way I see it. LOL, OTOH get everybody infected, cull the herd ASAP is the fastest way to return to normal. I don't necessarily recommend that tactic though. It's all based on a potential shortage of respirators to save people who probably would be dead anyway in a year or two, and already have a crappy quality of life. Sorry to be so  damn cynical, or you going to deny that's the reality of the situation? Yeah, I'm saying that with the knowledge if my 90 year old Mom is a victim, we're not even going to be able to hold her funeral. F-you Dewine.