Sign in to follow this  
darren15

CB Kevin Johnson gives Browns another veteran option at defensive back

Kevin Johnson ex Texans/Bill's 1 year $3.5m

More depth?   Not our primary area of need.

Or.....does anyone thing he starts opposite Ward, over Greedy Williams? 

Played nickel for the Bills last year apparently 

• Thanks 1

I remember his rookie year with HOU... pretty impressive... 1st round pick IIRC.

Then he was hurt in 2nd season and never quite rose to same level.

Pattern is developing around signing former #1's with injury histories to short-term deals...

Now THAT smells a lot like analytics.

• Like 1

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/cb-kevin-johnson-gives-browns-another-veteran-option-at-defensive-back

Veteran cornerback Kevin Johnson has signed with the Browns, giving the team some more versatility at the position.

Johnson, a former first-round pick out of Wake Forest, comes to Cleveland after one season with the Bills. He spent his first four seasons with the Texans.

Johnson has appeared in 51 games with 19 starts. He has totaled 154 tackles, one interception, 19 passes defensed, one sack and one fumble recovery. During that time, he played as both an outside cornerback and a slot corner. The latter is where Cleveland is looking to increase its depth after the offseason departures of T.J. Carrie and Eric Murray.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Karl Joseph and Kevin Johnson!? Both guys that I wanted us to take! 

This just keeps getting better and better! 

Let's GOOOOOOO!

7 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Let's GOOOOOOO!

Both bring experience now and neither of them are collecting their last checks.

Great adds now let’s use Joseph primarily in the box he’s a thumper and he grades well closer to the LOS. And Johnson has performed his best in the slot.  Don’t reinvent roles for them. 

The potential 53 man roster is getting crowded too.  I don’t think we draft 7 guys this year I could see us trading a few picks whether to move up in the middle or pass for next year when this FO has more time to evaluate what we need. 

We will draft for depth and future.  No need to trade away.  Most FA signings are for one year.

1 hour ago, LBC mike said:

We will draft for depth and future.  No need to trade away.  Most FA signings are for one year.

We have starter positions we need right away:  LT, LB, maybe RG, maybe safety.  

Interesting question:    Would you take say a Kenneth Murray over a tackle at #10?   Do you think the Browns would consider it?

2 hours ago, LBC mike said:

I agree but our circumstances may change the typical approach 

If our Front Office hasn’t had enough time to scout and assess (especially the depth guys we need not necessarily the LT or LB spots) 

they could “punt” trade picks for 2021 picks.  Or go all in and move up for the lot of players that were able to get a good read on.  

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

We have starter positions we need right away:  LT, LB, maybe RG, maybe safety.  

Interesting question:    Would you take say a Kenneth Murray over a tackle at #10?   Do you think the Browns would consider it?

We will  take those positions with our first 3 picks then after would be BPA for depth and development.

14 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Let's GOOOOOOO!

Wait, you wanted us to draft them?

Alright, now I'm a little concerned...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

If our Front Office hasn’t had enough time to scout and assess (especially the depth guys we need not necessarily the LT or LB spots) they could “punt” trade picks for 2021 picks.

Certainly possible, but have to remember that Berry and company came from organizations that were evaluating talent and arrived at an org that was already doing the same. Scouting did not stop when Dorsey was bounced.... if anything it was likely reinvigorated. Ditto for the analytics department.

So it can be argued that our FO has an even broader perspective going into this draft.

36 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Certainly possible, but have to remember that Berry and company came from organizations that were evaluating talent and arrived at an org that was already doing the same. Scouting did not stop when Dorsey was bounced.... if anything it was likely reinvigorated. Ditto for the analytics department.

So it can be argued that our FO has an even broader perspective going into this draft.

The very end of the first Episode of “Building the Browns” just aired today Berry talks about the challenge of coming together and getting ready for this offseason.  Calls it a sprint and it truly is given the circumstances. He was introduced the first week of Feb. 

He talks about how they all have to be sprinting in the same direction. And you are correct We have the areas scouts in place and they have been all year, but now these same scouts are doing a job under a different lense.  Dorsey isn’t shaping Freddie’s team- and who know how much analytics came into play - we have two new actors and what appears to be more emphasis on analytics. Even though this is Berrys first GM HC partnership with Stefanski  - It helps that Berry knows the organization. Kind of odd that Stefanski got a head start on Berry.  Does this make Stefanski’s role this April bigger???  

it’s not that the guys and gals in the front office were doing nothing the past 11 months.  They have new leadership at the top and new scheme on the field.  So obviously new needs now and new faces.  Some getting used to new people and personalities.  And this Covid mess and private workouts and other workouts impacted certainly doesn’t help.

just saying I wouldn’t be surprised if we make fewer than 7 picks and maybe even load up for more next year   

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

... new scheme on the field.

Valid point, but it's still not as if we had not categorized prospects by scheme fit when we scouted them.

Dorsey? My impression is he judged scouts by the degree to which they agreed with him... the opposite of what great managers want.

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

It helps that Berry knows the organization. Kind of odd that Stefanski got a head start on Berry.  Does this make Stefanski’s role this April bigger???  

Doubtful. I don't see their arrival times as being significant. I do think that Berry knows that Stef/Woods and not Depo are his 'customers". I think we see that already in Berry FA work product... a product I'd add that came together in even a shorter time frame... albeit from a smaller pool.

That this is not year 1 of a novel, consensus driven approach is a help. We are back to having a true "decider". We are back to a balanced traditional FO.

Doesn't make it easy... Doesn't mean we'll bat 1.000... but also doesn't mean we'll punt.

Plus they still have 3 weeks... ;)