THE BROWNS BOARD

Gorka

9 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Which Blvd is the main drag there where they filmed. You can go to street level with google maps like I have been doing with my grandson to show him different cites in the world where I have been. Fun to use that to take a "walk" with.

Lala's Creamery 134 Petaluma Blvd N Petaluma, CA 94952

https://maps.roadtrippers.com/trips/16221018

https://www.sonomacounty.com/sonoma-events/petalumas-salute-american-graffiti

On 4/6/2020 at 10:47 PM, D Bone said:

My daughter graduated from Sonoma State in 2017, and the night of her ceremony we ended up at super cool ice cream parlor in downtown Petaluma. I was already on cloud nine as she is the 1st in my family to graduate with a BS/BA - heck, 1st ever to just go to college, and on top of that the city shut down the blvd (where the movie was filmed) to have a classic/muscle car parade roar up and down the strip while we ate out ice cream. I had goosebumps on top of goosebumps.

I still smile when I think back on that entire day. 

Great ice cream store. Right off the square. Been there a few times. Mucho congrats on your daughter's accomplishments.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Remember the scene where he  kind of crashes his motorscooter into the wall?  That was totally not planned, as  the actor (Charles Smith?)  who played Toad really, inadvertently lost control of his bike while the scene was being filmed.  George Lucas  liked it and kept it the movie as it came off as a genuine illustration of Toad's "dorkiness".    He did that with a few other scenes as well.    There was one where the Michele Phillips character was hit in the face with a water baloon thrown by some girls in another car.  It wasn't supposed to hit her, and she was supposed to express anger at having the baloon thrown at her (and missing)...but when it hit her, she burst out laughing,   and Lucas kept that in there instead what was in the script.   Another scene toward the end was when the  drag race was completed....and the John LeMat and Ron Howard characters went off together to talk about it, and LeMat was saying how he was really going to lose that race, and other dialogue.  That was completly impromptu.

I understand that Lucas did the same with a few scenes in Star Wars. 

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Is/Was  Mel's Drive-In a real place?   (possibly under a different name?)

Mel's Drive-In is a chain in the Bay Area which began in 1947. (They were quite good at one time. Now I don't know). They have about 10 places still though I don't see any in Petaluma. When I was last in Petaluma a couple of years ago I recall a 50's style drive-in near the ice cream store mentioned above, but I don't know if that was the one they used in the movie.

• Thanks 1