THE BROWNS BOARD

Gorka

1957, when Gipper was 2yrs. old was last time the Browns had a notable draft class. I find that hard to believe. The following lists include teams that have not won championships, so winning championships is not a criteria.

We saw a Browns team play in the AFC championship game 3 times. I find that hard to believe that the Browns did not have a top notch draft class in the 80's. The historian that he his I trust Gipper to shed some light on this above everyone else. The '58 Packers on one of these lists, but no 60's Browns team???C'mon man.

Browns absent here:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/04/24/top-10-best-draft-classes-team-nfl-history/100551382/

Hell, even the Bungles made this list... and the Ravens. The Hated Ones 3 times. But not us.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1177331-the-25-best-team-draft-classes-in-nfl-history

Not here either.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926644/article/nfl-draft-ranking-the-top-10-team-hauls-of-the-past-25-years

The 73 Bills??  You kidding me? Never even heard of these guys.

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=schatz/050421&num=1

Here we go.

1957 is the last time we had a notable draft class. Right.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/15309539/best-nfl-draft-classes-ever-all-32-teams-pittsburgh-steelers-1974-best-all

Seems we are always getting pooped on.

A.  I was born in 1952....so I would have been 5 in 1957.

B.  Yes, 1957 is when the Browns drafted JB and Hickerson.   They also drafted Henry Jordan....and Milt Plum, a pretty good QB.  Any listiing of the Top 10-25 drafts that does not include one with 3 HOFers and  2 time Pro Bowl QB  is deficient......as:

C.  The Steelers 1974 draft is pretty inarguable as the best with the 4 HOFers  .....but the Browns 3 in one year may be next, tied with maybe only a couple of other team draft classes in history.

D. I have seen a Browns Championship....1964. 

E.  The Browns had a pretty fair first round in 1978, with both Clay Matthews and Ozzie Newsome.   But honestly past that, the best player drafted that year was a punter.   Both Clay and Ozzie were big contributors in those 80s AFC contenders.   The thing also about that era...is that you did not include the  Supplemental drafts of 1984....:   1.  Normal Supplemental draft:  Bernie Kosar.   2.  USFL distribution draft:  Kevin Mack, Frank Minnifield, Mike Johnson....and, I think Ice Cube  McNeil 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Buddy Holly and the Crickets started up with "That'll Be The Day".

My fav is Not Fade Away... seemed to be ahead of its time.

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

My fav is Not Fade Away... seemed to be ahead of its time.

And another 1957 classic draft and among the beginning members of the American muscle car class.......

westlake-texas-october-19-1957-260nw-160456028.jpg

concord-nc-september-21-interior-260nw-156161009.jpg

57-Chevrolet-Sweet-smooth-and-sassy-1-750x500.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

"Rock n Roll hasn't been the same since Buddy Holly died."

Tell us what movie that line was from. 

"Rock n Roll has been going downhill since Buddy Holly died."😁 

The actual quote.

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

"Rock n Roll has been going downhill since Buddy Holly died."😁 

The actual quote.

and was filmed in Petaluma CA. 

20 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And the blond in the T-bird was.......................................

...... my favorite season. 

32 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Still nice !

12 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I believe the movie that had said quote was "Gandhi"... 

What do I win? 

The 1st Annual Ghoolie Award..... congrats

16 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I believe the movie that had said quote was "Gandhi"... 

What do I win? 

Winner, winner roast beef sandwich dinner !   A delicious Arby's roast beef sandwich, curly fries and Jamocia shake.   :huh:

.......the sports stories have been really getting juicy around here lately.

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Suzanne Somers...

... somewhere she is still molesting a Thigh Master...

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Suzanne Somers...

... somewhere she is still molesting a Thigh Master...

Well....see the link above.  At 73 still having Sex  twice a day.   So, apparently it is more than just they Thighmaster.   Perhaps the Thighmaster aids in that endeavour. 

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

My brothers friend had one, green and white.

Yeah a good friend I knew in Venezuela sold a really good horse to get a black & silver one in the mid-60s. He was a Vietnam vet but a bit of a sociopath. Ended up in prison 5 years and later shot to death by San Antonio Police. I never found out why, but I did find his gravesite in a National Cemetery which at least honors his service. RIP SSG Robert "Bobby" Estros. We had some fun times down at the beaches of Venezuela for sure. We were both born in the same hospital in Beaumont about two weeks apart. 

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/3023090/robert-girard-estros

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yeah a good friend I knew in Venezuela sold a really good horse to get a black & silver one in the mid-60s. He was a Vietnam vet but a bit of a sociopath. Ended up in prison 5 years and later shot to death by San Antonio Police. I never found out why, but I did find his gravesite in a National Cemetery which at least honors his service. RIP SSG Robert "Bobby" Estros. We had some fun times down at the beaches of Venezuela for sure. We were both born in the same hospital in Beaumont about two weeks apart. 

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/3023090/robert-girard-estros

I come from a family of sociopaths, so I can relate.😁

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I come from a family of sociopaths, so I can relate.😁

Well you notice I did not document any of the socio things we did together down there. 😁 

But he was good enough to make E-6 in Vietnam up from the ranks. That means a lot in my book.👍 

EDIT: And at the bottom of the tombstone    Purple Heart

14 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well you notice I did not document any of the socio things we did together down there. 😁 

But he was good enough to make E-6 in Vietnam up from the ranks. That means a lot in my book.👍 

EDIT: And at the bottom of the tombstone    Purple Heart

A stone can say a lot.....

3023090_1427635048.jpg

• Thanks 1

My daughter graduated from Sonoma State in 2017, and the night of her ceremony we ended up at super cool ice cream parlor in downtown Petaluma. I was already on cloud nine as she is the 1st in my family to graduate with a BS/BA - heck, 1st ever to just go to college, and on top of that the city shut down the blvd (where the movie was filmed) to have a classic/muscle car parade roar up and down the strip while we ate out ice cream. I had goosebumps on top of goosebumps.

I still smile when I think back on that entire day. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

On 4/7/2020 at 12:47 AM, D Bone said:

My daughter graduated from Sonoma State in 2017, and the night of her ceremony we ended up at super cool ice cream parlor in downtown Petaluma. I was already on cloud nine as she is the 1st in my family to graduate with a BS/BA - heck, 1st ever to just go to college, and on top of that the city shut down the blvd (where the movie was filmed) to have a classic/muscle car parade roar up and down the strip while we ate out ice cream. I had goosebumps on top of goosebumps.

I still smile when I think back on that entire day. 

Which Blvd is the main drag there where they filmed. You can go to street level with google maps like I have been doing with my grandson to show him different cites in the world where I have been. Fun to use that to take a "walk" with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Which Blvd is the main drag there where they filmed. You can go to street level with google maps like I have been doing with my grandson to show him different cites in the world where I have been. Fun to use that to take a "walk" with.

I was through Petaluma  a couple of years ago....didn't really see the "cruise strip" there.  

I had gone to Modesto once and cruised around there.....many years .before I realized they did not use Modesto to be Modesto.

• Like 1