THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Were Close to Signing Clowney

MLD Woody

51 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Still in the hunt per the article. 

Not sure with the Clayborn pick up, but maybe. He dropped his asking price, so maybe. If are gonna contend, we need a more then would piece on the left side of the offense. I wanted a Williams trade, but we can definitely fine what we need in the draft. Just scary trusting a rookie when we are trying to make a run to the playoffs and beyond.

No, no, no, no. Clowney wants top $ while not being a top player. Hard pass. He's physically gifted like crazy, but where is the production? He had 3 sacks last year, but wants paid like Khalil Mack. Clowney never cracked double digit sacks in his career. And I don't think he's the best team chemistry guy either. (Not saying he's a locker room cancer, but it's not like he's a team leader. Clayborn doesn't have his ability but not much less production (1 sack more, actually, last season) for way cheaper. 

• Like 1

Clowney would be a great fit.....especially if the Haslams have turned our new uniforms into clown outfits again.

He and Myles would help our DB's do their job.  ( I just can't bring myself to believe it would get past our analytics dept. )

Fragile? The guys missed 6 games in 4 years...

One-year rental plus an option year? Why not? Pressures passers and stuffs runs... what's not to like?

======================================================================================================

Browns show interest in Jadeveon Clowney with possibly best offer yet for edge rusher, per report

Add the Browns into the mix for Jadeveon Clowney

The Cleveland Browns are entering the Jadeveon Clowney sweepstakes. Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, the Browns have shown interest in Clowney and some people around the league believe Cleveland got closer with Clowney than the other suitors. Whether this gives Cleveland the inside track to land Clowney remains to be seen, but the Browns have certainly checked in on the defensive end's asking price. 

Cleveland already has Myles Garrett and Olivier Vernon at defensive end and signed Adrian Clayborn to a two-year contract earlier in the week, so the Browns aren't needy of pass rushers. Garrett had 10 sacks and 39 pressures before serving his six-game suspension that ended his 2019 season, but Vernon had just 3.5 sacks in 25 pressures in 10 games and can be cut to create $15.5 million in cap space. The Browns could certainly use an extra pass rusher opposite of Garrett, which is where Clowney comes in. 

Clowney has 32 sacks in six NFL seasons with 80 quarterback hits, 252 pressures and three Pro Bowl appearances. He has also graded out exceptionally well via Pro Football Focus, specifically over the past two seasons. He finished with 31 tackles, three sacks, four forced fumbles, 13 quarterback hits and 47 pressures in 13 games, but was hampered for the majority of the second half of the season with a core muscle injury, explaining why the sack numbers are down. Clowney had surgery on the core muscle injury, which shouldn't affect him for the 2020 season. 

Clowney has reportedly lowered his asking price from north of $20 million per season to $17-18 million which may have been why the Browns have entered the mix. The Titans and Seahawks are also interested in Clowney, even though Seattle will have to maneuver cap space as they are currently have $14,825,497 in cap space (per Over The Cap).

Cleveland has the most cap space in the NFL at $43 million and can create much more by parting ways with Vernon, so signing Clowney to a massive deal won't be an issue. The Browns certainly have the finances to give Clowney want he wants and emerge as the winner of the sweepstakes. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Icecube said:

No, no, no, no. Clowney wants top $ while not being a top player. Hard pass. He's physically gifted like crazy, but where is the production? He had 3 sacks last year, but wants paid like Khalil Mack. Clowney never cracked double digit sacks in his career. And I don't think he's the best team chemistry guy either. (Not saying he's a locker room cancer, but it's not like he's a team leader. Clayborn doesn't have his ability but not much less production (1 sack more, actually, last season) for way cheaper. 

the dude shows up when he wants to show up other games he is just a body

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Fragile? The guys missed 6 games in 4 years...

One-year rental plus an option year? Why not? Pressures passers and stuffs runs... what's not to like?

======================================================================================================

Browns show interest in Jadeveon Clowney with possibly best offer yet for edge rusher, per report

Add the Browns into the mix for Jadeveon Clowney

The Cleveland Browns are entering the Jadeveon Clowney sweepstakes. Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, the Browns have shown interest in Clowney and some people around the league believe Cleveland got closer with Clowney than the other suitors. Whether this gives Cleveland the inside track to land Clowney remains to be seen, but the Browns have certainly checked in on the defensive end's asking price. 

Cleveland already has Myles Garrett and Olivier Vernon at defensive end and signed Adrian Clayborn to a two-year contract earlier in the week, so the Browns aren't needy of pass rushers. Garrett had 10 sacks and 39 pressures before serving his six-game suspension that ended his 2019 season, but Vernon had just 3.5 sacks in 25 pressures in 10 games and can be cut to create $15.5 million in cap space. The Browns could certainly use an extra pass rusher opposite of Garrett, which is where Clowney comes in. 

Clowney has 32 sacks in six NFL seasons with 80 quarterback hits, 252 pressures and three Pro Bowl appearances. He has also graded out exceptionally well via Pro Football Focus, specifically over the past two seasons. He finished with 31 tackles, three sacks, four forced fumbles, 13 quarterback hits and 47 pressures in 13 games, but was hampered for the majority of the second half of the season with a core muscle injury, explaining why the sack numbers are down. Clowney had surgery on the core muscle injury, which shouldn't affect him for the 2020 season. 

Clowney has reportedly lowered his asking price from north of $20 million per season to $17-18 million which may have been why the Browns have entered the mix. The Titans and Seahawks are also interested in Clowney, even though Seattle will have to maneuver cap space as they are currently have $14,825,497 in cap space (per Over The Cap).

Cleveland has the most cap space in the NFL at $43 million and can create much more by parting ways with Vernon, so signing Clowney to a massive deal won't be an issue. The Browns certainly have the finances to give Clowney want he wants and emerge as the winner of the sweepstakes. 

He had a whopping 3 sacks...how much $ was that per sack? $2.66 million. That's lunacy, and notice Seattle didn't rush to bring him back. 

37 minutes ago, Icecube said:

He had a whopping 3 sacks...how much $ was that per sack? $2.66 million. That's lunacy, and notice Seattle didn't rush to bring him back. 

3 on a team that had 28... 13 QB hits on a team that had 68... to say he was the focus of the passing Offenses he faced would be an understatement.

I let my PFF Elite lapse, but IIRC he had one of the highest EDGE grades vs the run in 2019.

Opposite MG... they'd both benefit... just as he (9.0; 21) and JJ (16.0; 25) did in HOU in 2018.

Signing Clowney for me would be a sign that we aren't just looking for incremental improvement this year... we're going for much more.

55 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Garrett has a couple years left at a reasonable number before you have to Pay him big time

This, his 4th year, will run us just under $10mm and a 5th year option (must be exercised before May 2) would run around $15mm, but I have to believe we'll work towards an extension before the 5th year kicks in... maybe before the start of this season... in a front end heavy deal averaging north of $23mm/yr.

JC is elite vs the run on the edge.  Really no denying that.  But his premium paid is as a pass rusher.     That's not to say he won't have help should the Browns sign him.  The guy has played across from JJ Watt so I'm sure having MG on the other side will be pretty sweet.    But he's not Khalil Mack where he gets it done on his own.   Still, he is somebody defenses have to account for.  I guess I'm just going off of a "value" approach.

My issue really boils down to this.

- Contract length and guaranteed money. 

Team friendly? Fuck it, bring him on board.      Overpay?  Pass.

I still have not gotten past the amount of times Old Man Rivers tossed a edge sweep to Melvin Gordon & our D 💩 the bed.. Even with both being traded... Gordon just scored again 🙃.. Clowney can still play with his hair on fire... All stats still don't show up on a stat-sheet...all his game replays are free... 1) count the amount of times he forces QB's to get ball out of hand with no QB hit 2) Run Game.. if he's not making tackles? Clowney forces the play to turn inside for someone else to clean up the play...

Take the 2 Year deal... or leave a out at 2 years    

• Like 1

The plot thickens...

From an article in The Seattle Times...

One other interesting dynamic that adds to the idea that the Browns could be a serious suitor is that Clowney has the same agent as Cleveland standout defensive end Myles Garrett, who like Clowney was a first overall pick in the NFL draft (Clowney in 2014 out of South Carolina and Garrett in 2017 out of Texas A&M).

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/are-the-cleveland-browns-making-a-run-at-jadeveon-clowney/

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

3 on a team that had 28... 13 QB hits on a team that had 68... to say he was the focus of the passing Offenses he faced would be an understatement.

I let my PFF Elite lapse, but IIRC he had one of the highest EDGE grades vs the run in 2019.

Opposite MG... they'd both benefit... just as he (9.0; 21) and JJ (16.0; 25) did in HOU in 2018.

Signing Clowney for me would be a sign that we aren't just looking for incremental improvement this year... we're going for much more.

This, his 4th year, will run us just under $10mm and a 5th year option (must be exercised before May 2) would run around $15mm, but I have to believe we'll work towards an extension before the 5th year kicks in... maybe before the start of this season... in a front end heavy deal averaging north of $23mm/yr.

You would never have to cite those excuses about LT, Haley, Suggs, et al. (I'm not saying you thought he was at that level.) But, if they got a motivated Clowney, then I'll be wrong. Garrett on one side, Clowney on the other? 

13 hours ago, Icecube said:

You would never have to cite those excuses about LT, Haley, Suggs, et al. (I'm not saying you thought he was at that level.) But, if they got a motivated Clowney, then I'll be wrong. Garrett on one side, Clowney on the other? 

Or even Clowney RE, Garrett LT and Vernon LE with Ogi still at LT. Talk about 4 man pressure and 4 man run stopping!

9 hours ago, Icecube said:

I did not see myself as making "excuses". What I thought I was doing was explaining why JC's sack total was low last season while at the same time demonstrating that sacks are not the total measure of any Edge's contributions. But I can see how that effort could be taken as an excuse... it's a thin line.

Your sack dream team is special... no doubt. LT produced just over two sacks every three games in his career while Suggs and Haley posted just under that mark. Clowney... just over one every two games. But again where data is available, Suggs' 3rd year and on, it shows that JC is closer in QB hits. Ditto for TFL stats.

I definitely reject the notion that Clowney being undermotivated was a factor in his 2019 performance. If it were, then that would show in his effort against the run... the less glamorous, grunt work part of an Edge's job. If it were, then Seattle would not be pursuing him as they are despite their relatively limited cap space.

Bottom line... Is he worth the money? Purely eye of the beholder stuff there. However, when you have the money, and in the short-term we do, then the question becomes... "Why not spend it on one of the best options you have?"

• Upvote 2

“However, when you have the money, and in the short-term we do, then the question becomes... "Why not spend it on one of the best options you have?"

This.  

we have decisions to make in the next couple years.  Baker, Garrett, Ward are the big ones.  You have the cap space now.  You will not have it when we sign two of those three to their next contracts BUT you can get creative in the interim and front load some of these deals to fit talents like Clowney with the current Nucleus above.  

I can make a strong argument that Clowney is the best DE that is available in Free Agency or the draft 

it’s time to go all in. And you can do in a way that doesn’t impact your long term core of players. 

43 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Oliver. Garrett, Clowney, and Clayborn is a very nice DE group.

I agree.  Try and get him as cheaply as you can.  If he goes somewhere else, then so be it.  It wasn't going to be a long term thing anyway. (most probably)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Is he still trying to set the DE market?

Never was according to what I've read. Never asked for Mack money ($23mm/yr) or even Lawrence money ($21 per), but no telling what he's asked in guarantees, length etc. Whatever it was, he... meaning his agent... has apparently come off it some due to the underwhelming interest in meeting his price.

I'd guess something in the Trey Flowers area ($18mm per) area, but shorter duration with higher guarantees gets a deal done... but leaves the following question unanswered..

HTF did Flowers get that kind of money?

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Never was according to what I've read. Never asked for Mack money ($23mm/yr) or even Lawrence money ($21 per), but no telling what he's asked in guarantees, length etc. Whatever it was, he... meaning his agent... has apparently come off it some due to the underwhelming interest in meeting his price.

I'd guess something in the Trey Flowers area ($18mm per) area, but shorter duration with higher guarantees gets a deal done... but leaves the following question unanswered..

HTF did Flowers get that kind of money?

Now that it's obvious, he ain't gonna get top edge rusher $, huge signing bonus, large guaranteed $, it might be agreeable. I would not be the fool that gives him big guaranteed $, and it looks like no one else will. If motivated by a "prove it" deal, then it could make sense.