THE BROWNS BOARD

What would you consider acceptable?

Icecube

By "acceptable" I mean no major changes after the season. Maybe a coordinator or position coach, but no major changes like starting over at QB or head coach.

9-7, make or flirt with playoffs? 

Baker, 65% completion %, 25 TDs, 11 int., 90 rating, 3,500 yards. 

Of course, I'm just spitballing here. If Baker leads them to 10 wins, most of us won't care what his personal #s are, I don't think. 

Then again, if he leads them to 6-10, most won't be happy with him even if his #s are OK. Wins are the thing. 

Also, would 3rd in the div. be acceptable, or a deal breaker? I don't think passing Baltimore is likely, as things look right now, but ending up worse than the Steelers again? 

Top of my head.... 10-7 (remember... 17-game season... :) ) If we post double digit wins, then I'm even OK with a one-and-done playoff appearance... as long as we don't stink up the place. Rome wasn't built in a day...

But realistically it's still too early for me to project our season. I have to see what we and the rest of the AFCN do in the Draft... with at least a glance at what the rest of our schedule does, i.e., the NFCE and AFCS.

Ask me again after the Draft... and I'll tell you I need to see Preseason before I commit... ;)

• Upvote 1

This roster is loaded with talent.

Year 3 of Baker and Chubb Year 4 of Myles...two veteran Pro Bowl WRs in their Prime. The Time is NOW.  The Time for incremental improvements was yesterday.  

The 49ers picked Nick Bosa last year #2 overall And went to the SB.  The Rams were okay and then went to the SB.  The Chiefs had an abysmal home playoff record and just won a SB.  

we are next!!!

turn the page on the loser mentality that we all have that it can’t be done here or it can’t happen right away

15 hours ago, Icecube said:

By "acceptable" I mean no major changes after the season. Maybe a coordinator or position coach, but no major changes like starting over at QB or head coach.

9-7, make or flirt with playoffs? 

Baker, 65% completion %, 25 TDs, 11 int., 90 rating, 3,500 yards. 

Of course, I'm just spitballing here. If Baker leads them to 10 wins, most of us won't care what his personal #s are, I don't think. 

Then again, if he leads them to 6-10, most won't be happy with him even if his #s are OK. Wins are the thing. 

Also, would 3rd in the div. be acceptable, or a deal breaker? I don't think passing Baltimore is likely, as things look right now, but ending up worse than the Steelers again? 

Thus far I am pretty happy with what Berry and crew have done.  We jumped out of the gate and got a RT, a TE, and a quality back-up QB who can start.  Then we sat a while to let the market settle a bit and grabbed a pretty stout interior D-line player and a pretty good DE.  I don't know much about the safeties, but they are vets who should be at lest decent.

As has been said, let's see what happens in the draft.  It looks like the strategy set by Depo was to finish off the O since it was the closest to being a finished product, so I suspect  that will hold in the draft and we take a LT prospect at #1 unless Simmons and maybe Derrick Brown fall.

I am concerned with the D.  Our D line looks pretty good and corner seems to be in good shape, but there are big questions at LB and deep secondary.  I see us pretty much going D after that except maybe drafting a running back in a latter round to push Hilliard.  Maybe even a AJ Dillion in round 3 if he lasts.   The guy is a beast.  Think Derrick Henry.  Nothing says we are going to keep Hunt after this year.  Got to have somebody to team up with Nick because as you know, backs are one hit away from the DL.

As for being satisfied, it's hard to put a number on things.  I know I am not a playoffs or bust type.  I just have to see how things play out.  Lucking in to a few wins doesn't ease my mind, nor do losing several tight, tough games make we think we are losers.

One also has to consider a new coaching staff and FO.  Things aren't going to start off like a finely oiled machine that has been plugging away for several years.  There is bound to be some fine tuning along the way.  A NASCAR driver doesn't jump in to the car and on the first lap or two and decide everything is a perfect fit for the track and at the wheel.  They add a wedge here , take  a wedge away there, adjust tire pressure, add some tape here or there to refine air flow over the car.  Same with a football team even if it is a slower process.

Lets just see what happens, but in reality, I doubt we have a season this year.  I hope we do, but right now we have bigger fish to fry.

My hope and expectation is we are ALL back here next year to talk about the new season.  If we are, I will cook up some Cajun shrimp and feed you like I did maybe 15 years ago when you were coming in from Conn.  Yep, good time buddy, just like you fed me a time or two at your tailgates.  

Take care Ice.

Getting to the playoffs is obvious, but this year it's gotta be that Baker takes the leap to show he's the dude. I don't wanna go through 3 more years of the Jameis Winston, will he won't he saga just to be on the market in year six. There's literally no excuse (assuming we draft a top LT) for Baker to struggle. That line will be stout (3 pro bowlers), and the offensive weapons just leap off the page. #6 just needs to figure it out between the ears and get the ball to 'em.

• Upvote 1

We should realistically win at least 7 games. If we can't win more than five games, then Jimmy needs to figure out who reports to who and figure out the whole GM thing. Because his approach to the HC and GM reporting separately to him is toxic I believe, and it's never worked. I'm hoping Kevin is a great coach and we do well. Hopefully Baker got over his sophomore slump and he's ready to hit now.

At least 6 wins in our stadium. I'd rather have 8, but realize that's asking a lot.

It's about time they establish some kind of home field advantage.