THE BROWNS BOARD

Activities for You Stay-in-Placers

TexasAg1969

Just add your own in here so as to give ideas to others stuck at home.Β 

1. I can't go to racquetball so I take a morning bicycle ride at dawn and listen to well over a couple hundred songbirds with my two hearing aids (thanks VA) along the route to include a ton of mockingbirds, many cardinals and various other kinds to include geese & ducks honking/quacking overhead on their trek back northπŸ¦πŸ¦†. I also spend time in the afternoon mowing/mulching leaves and now keeping the grass mowed as well as the area back of the fence up to the woods to keep snakes at bay.

2. My grandson is here and I have been assigned his language arts schooling, so we pick out things to read and discuss. We both love that extra time together since we share the love of reading about the outdoors as well as history.Β 

3. I take my cats outback twice a day for an hour each time. I walk along making sure they don't get in the woods while I read a book. We have a large hawk capable of carrying either one off so I stay near them as their protector.Β πŸ˜»πŸ˜»πŸ¦…

4. I come to harass other Browns fans on the BB multiple times a day. Fine sport that is.πŸ˜‚

Β 

• Haha 1

Yesterday wifey and I took all the grandkids on an "essential" ride to pick up a buttermilk pie from a restaurant in Liberty Hill. As an Infantry 1Lt I pride myself on never having been lost on a map in my life more than a minute before seeing the mistake and doubling back. But somehow I missed the turn home and we were tortured with a 4 hour ride out to Enchanted Rock and were required to see all the bluebonnets, paintbrushes and various other wildflowers flourishing along the way and back. Silly me. We played the guess the state and then guess the country using only a first letter game on the way home. Grandkids loved it but ole Gramp got wore out. I did tell them the true story of the Texas Ranger who successfully defended himself from a Comanche band with a pair of Walker Colts on top of Enchanted Rock back in the days of Comancheria. 🀩 

https://www.google.com/search?q=comancheria+map&rlz=1C1GCEV_enUS876US876&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=pVKJb_-ihidUuM%3A%2CYUQCQ4XmGa3-TM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRpx3xfThJf3KPHK5bIy8Cm955wmw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj0xanMjsfoAhUMEqwKHUp-CuEQ9QEwCHoECAoQMA#imgrc=pVKJb_-ihidUuM:

• Haha 1

Texas has bluebonnets, we have dandelions.

Well, you can eat the greens and blossoms here, and make a bitter

coffee with the roots . April 1st - I think we want to go fishing from shore over at a local lake, but

it's still early - fish are still deep except for crappie and they love structure.

Time to go sit in our beautiful woods.

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Took one of my grandsons to a strawberry farm to pick our own this afternoon. Bet you can't guess what song came up on Sirius XM as we were pulling into the turn into the farm. Got to be a sign of somethin'.Β πŸ“Β 

Nothin' better than pickin'Β an' choosin'Β your own. We got some really good ones for ourselves and for my wife's best friend recovering from radiation for breast cancer. She is in strict isolation so we washed our hands thoroughly before picking hers. Left it on her step and rang the bell to let her know they were there.

Today I took my grandson on a "tour" of Paris via google maps from street level so we could "walk" through various famous streets to see the Eiffel Tower, Arch de Triumph. Louvre, etc. Even stopped in front of the Hotel where his grandmother and I stayed. But first we started inside the St. Chapelle Church. It is wonderful! A must see if you ever get the chance post-virus.Β 

Β 

On 4/1/2020 at 7:21 AM, calfoxwc said:

Texas has bluebonnets, we have dandelions.

Well, you can eat the greens and blossoms here, and make a bitter

coffee with the roots . April 1st - I think we want to go fishing from shore over at a local lake, but

it's still early - fish are still deep except for crappie and they love structure.

So go fishing yet cal? What kinds of critters are you seeing in the woods so far? Any migratory birds come back yet?

We've had decent weather the past few days and on my rides I have listened to and seen morning doves (migratory), even seen a couple of white-winged doves and yesterday a couple of bluebirds that I normally only see in the summer up in Colorado. Also saw a huge double -V flock of geese (100-150 birds is best guess) heading north and this morning a chapparal a.k.a.Β  roadrunner crossed my path quite close. I only see those about 2-3 times per year (kind of shy they are) which is just a little less than I see wild turkeys. Next week I'm taking my grandson out to shoot my Henry .22 lever action. His mom says he's close enough to twelve in a couple of weeks to go get his first lessons on a .22. Been well trained on his BB gun for safety. He's ready.

Like to hear what others are doing for getting out without mingling. Cal and I are lucky to have lots of woody areas. I suspect Tour has piney woods he can get to easily. Next week I'm taking the Lake Georgetown trail and if I keep my eyes open just might find an arrowhead uncovered by all the rain we have had the past two weeks (and more coming today & Sunday).

1 hour ago, LBC mike said:

All the honey dues imaginable....😒

Β 

1 hour ago, LBC mike said:

All the honey dues imaginable....😒

And more apparently!πŸ‘©β€β€οΈβ€πŸ’‹β€πŸ‘¨πŸ˜

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So go fishing yet cal? What kinds of critters are you seeing in the woods so far? Any migratory birds come back yet?

We've had decent weather the past few days and on my rides I have listened to and seen morning doves (migratory), even seen a couple of white-winged doves and yesterday a couple of bluebirds that I normally only see in the summer up in Colorado. Also saw a huge double -V flock of geese (100-150 birds is best guess) heading north and this morning a chapparal a.k.a.Β  roadrunner crossed my path quite close. I only see those about 2-3 times per year (kind of shy they are) which is just a little less than I see wild turkeys. Next week I'm taking my grandson out to shoot my Henry .22 lever action. His mom says he's close enough to twelve in a couple of weeks to go get his first lessons on a .22. Been well trained on his BB gun for safety. He's ready.

Like to hear what others are doing for getting out without mingling. Cal and I are lucky to have lots of woody areas. I suspect Tour has piney woods he can get to easily. Next week I'm taking the Lake Georgetown trail and if I keep my eyes open just might find an arrowhead uncovered by all the rain we have had the past two weeks (and more coming today & Sunday).

yep. wrote about it elsewhere. No fish caught. I decided that it was a cold front - that - and that the fish were social distancing.

Haven't spent much time out in the woods, rain, etc, tornado warning night before last... but last year? Year and a half? I took a picture of a baby Great Horned Owl 9' above my head. That was priceless.Β  Another month of all this, and I'm gonna go hunt some canadian geese for supper, if I can find out the proper way to prepare it.

Β  And, I'm going to go "Caddyshack" on some groundhogs. They are out again. dammit. Going to start looking for morels soon.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

yep. wrote about it elsewhere. No fish caught. I decided that it was a cold front - that - and that the fish were social distancing.

Haven't spent much time out in the woods, rain, etc, tornado warning night before last... but last year? Year and a half? I took a picture of a baby Great Horned Owl 9' above my head. That was priceless.Β  Another month of all this, and I'm gonna go hunt some canadian geese for supper, if I can find out the proper way to prepare it.

Β  And, I'm going to go "Caddyshack" on some groundhogs. They are out again. dammit. Going to start looking for morels soon.

Morals are hard to come by.πŸ˜‚ 😜

I tell people fish are allergic to whatever I put in the water. Only place I can catch them is here. 😭

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrC3L7njI9eS1UAGiMPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMDgyYjJiBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=fish+on+ice&fr=yhs-symantec-ext_onb&hspart=symantec&hsimp=yhs-ext_onb