THE BROWNS BOARD

Schedule Released!

The Gipper

So far, in my Google searches,   I have found nothing about a delay in the NFL schedule release,  which is generally done about the  middle of April, just before the draft. 

I am assuming that since the league is more or less going forward with business as usual  that will be the case.  I don't think they need people together to do the release.  It is just the NFL front office can put out the schedules on the internet. 

I think the NFL is just waiting for the word to go and then life will somewhat return to normal.

Plus the NCAA MLB NBA NFL and about everything else.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Heard yesterday that schedule release will be delayed until after the draft,   but will be published some time before   May 9. 

Of course, schedule subject to further revision due to virus. 

NFL, we're going to play a regular schedule. Remains to be seen. Starting in November. :) Then there's college football too.

• 1 month later...

The NFL is set to release its full schedule, including preseason games, at the end of this week without any major adjustments for the possible impact caused by the coronavirus pandemic, NFL league spokesperson Brian McCarthy told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. 

"We plan to start on time," McCarthy said. “If we have to make adjustments, we will be prepared to do so based on the latest guidance from our medical experts and public health officials and current and future government regulations."

The NFL regular season opener will still be set for Sept. 10 while the Super Bowl will still be scheduled for Feb. 7 in Tampa, Fla. The league is expected to release its schedule by May 9.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/03/nfl-schedule-release-start-on-time

In re:   the above.   Schedule leaks could start coming out as soon as tomorrow.    Of course I know that it is a wait and see on the schedule and on if fans will be allowed.   

Just wondering what the situation may be, at this point, regarding any  Browns Board  Tailgate plans.   There is the usual tailgate where the Brits and Scots  come over.  Wondering if they have determined to shelve that for this year?

Then I know there was some talk about a Board away game get together in like the Dallas game.    I assume that is also a wait and see.  

Here, again, are the opponents:

Peter King  said don’t be surprised if you see the following situations arise this season:

• Tom Brady’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers debut will be in prime-time in Week 1.
  • If and when fans are allowed to attend, the league could recommend no one over 70 go to games.
  • Teams could ban alcohol sales to cut down on bathroom visits by fans.
  • Games could be called remotely from studios rather than press boxes in stadiums.
  • Sports reporters might not have access to team facilities or press boxes, forcing them to watch games on TV and participate in interviews with players and coaches via Zoom.
  • Among the wild cards King predicts to be problems this season:

• What happens when players and/or coaches start to test positive for the coronavirus and need to be quarantined?
  • Will enough testing be available so that teams can examined regularly?
  • What happens if some states are slower to re-open than others?

Thursday 8PM..NFL Schedule released on ESPN & NFLnetwork....edit--no early cheating 🙈 while All Teams can announce their own schedule at 7:30 pm 🤫

9 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

NFL confirmed we're at the Gmen. Most likely primetime.  That Thanksgiving game looking more and more like a real possibility.

Actually I am hearing  that they are wanting to backload the schedules toward the end of the season with the division and in conference  games,  and put the "less meaningful"  inter-conference games at the beginning, in case they have to truncate the season.   So that would mean, Giants/Eagles/Redskins/Cowboys more toward September/October.

• Upvote 1

More on this:

According to NFL insider John Clayton, this year’s schedule will feature a unique quirk: all of the NFC vs. AFC games will take place in the first four weeks of the season.

The motivation for this looks clear. If the pandemic forces the NFL to postpone the start of the season, this gives the league the ability to shorten the calendar down to 12 games. By dropping the cross-conference matchups, all intra-division and intra-conference games will remain, meaning that there would not be a possibility of one team playing fewer of those games than normal, thereby affecting playoff tiebreakers.

After all, divisional record and conference record are key tiebreakers, so if one team were to have fewer conference games than another, that would make the same number of losses have a greater impact.

So, the above means that the following dates  (Sundays)   :

9/13

9/20

9/27

10/4  

The Browns will be playing two home games vs. Redskins and Eagles, and two away games vs.  Giants/Cowboys.   Also, obviously there could be a Monday or Thursday night game thrown in. 

And it is certainly a possibility that these games could be played with NO fans.  Which I suspect would mean that there could possibly be no big  BB tailgate;  and no Dallas away tailgate. 

Right now my tentative travel plans have me going to the Southwest for a couple of weeks toward the middle/end of in October,  and the latest date possible for a Dallas game seems to be  Oct. 4.   That is likely way too early in the month for me to go.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

More on this:

According to NFL insider John Clayton, this year’s schedule will feature a unique quirk: all of the NFC vs. AFC games will take place in the first four weeks of the season.

The motivation for this looks clear. If the pandemic forces the NFL to postpone the start of the season, this gives the league the ability to shorten the calendar down to 12 games. By dropping the cross-conference matchups, all intra-division and intra-conference games will remain, meaning that there would not be a possibility of one team playing fewer of those games than normal, thereby affecting playoff tiebreakers.

After all, divisional record and conference record are key tiebreakers, so if one team were to have fewer conference games than another, that would make the same number of losses have a greater impact.

Two very winnable games there.  Giants and Redskins.

Eagles at home could help us.  I could see us getting rolled in Big D unless the Cowboys lay an egg which they are known to do 3/4 times a year. 

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Two very winnable games there.  Giants and Redskins.

Eagles at home could help us.  I could see us getting rolled in Big D unless the Cowboys lay an egg which they are known to do 3/4 times a year. 

I don't know....why would you see the Cowboys rolling....other than their overblown reputation?  Person for person, player for player can you say the Cowboys are more talented than the Browns?

A. I am not as sold on Dak Prescott as a  lot of the media is.  Good player.   But if you asked for the best ten QBs in the NFL, I don't think I would put his name on the list.

B. RB/WR/TE.......They have some good players.  Not as good as ours.

C.  OL.   theirs is not what it once was.  Ours could be very good with time  together.

D. Defense?    I am not sure I am knowledgeable enough to compare theirs with ours.   But they at best could be incrementally better.  

E.  They would have a  home field advantage.   Right now, I would say  they would be no more than a 3-4-5 pt. favorite....most attributable to that home field. 

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So, the above means that the following dates  (Sundays)   :

9/13

9/20

9/27

10/4  

The Browns will be playing two home games vs. Redskins and Eagles, and two away games vs.  Giants/Cowboys.   Also, obviously there could be a Monday or Thursday night game thrown in.   

Stefanski's former offense went 5-0 against the NFCe & beat Philly twice..while scoring just over 27 points per game...Dallas just picked up Cam Erving to pick up a sacked Dak...

🧔I just woke up feeling Dan6erous!!   

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I don't know....why would you see the Cowboys rolling....other than their overblown reputation?  Person for person, player for player can you say the Cowboys are more talented than the Browns?

A. I am not as sold on Dak Prescott as a  lot of the media is.  Good player.   But if you asked for the best ten QBs in the NFL, I don't think I would put his name on the list.

B. RB/WR/TE.......They have some good players.  Not as good as ours.

C.  OL.   theirs is not what it once was.  Ours could be very good with time  together.

D. Defense?    I am not sure I am knowledgeable enough to compare theirs with ours.   But they at best could be incrementally better.  

E.  They would have a  home field advantage.   Right now, I would say  they would be no more than a 3-4-5 pt. favorite....most attributable to that home field. 

Well they have veteran QB that has shown he is more than capable and they have a veteran D (Poe, McCoy, Vander Eshe, Aldon Smith, Jaylon Smith, Clinton Dix, Sean Lee, Demarcus Lawrence).  

13 hours ago, The Gipper said:

More on this:

latest date possible for a Dallas game seems to be  Oct. 4.   That is likely way too early in the month for me to go.  

We got thrown out of Jerry's place in 2012, after the 3rd PI call in a row on Buster Skrine. Refs gave the Cowboys that game. 

Beautiful stadium, but it's weird in a way....not many tailgaters at Cowboy games it seems. There were many Browns fans about doing that.

Could be a couple reasons.  It is Hot and they have that “mall” restaurant/bar/food center right by the stadium.

and hundreds/thousands of those clowns race in as soon as it opens on game day to get the closer Standing room only spots 

the worst tailgating I’ve seen 49ers this past year and LA Chargers in their soccer stadium 100-125 Bucks to park your car!!! 

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Well they have veteran QB that has shown he is more than capable and they have a veteran D (Poe, McCoy, Vander Eshe, Aldon Smith, Jaylon Smith, Clinton Dix, Sean Lee, Demarcus Lawrence).  

We have a now veteran QB  (3rd year....Prescott going into 5th year).  And actually,  Prescott has only 1 year where he threw for more TDs that Baker's 27 in his rookie season, and that was this past year with 30. In his 4 years he has thrown  22, 22, 23, and 30 TDs....in all seasons he has started all 16 games.    Baker has one year of 22 tds, and one with 27 (in a partial season)

I would wager that if things go right that Baker will surpass any numbers that Dak has ever put up. 

Our defense is also made up of a lot of veterans:  Garrett in his 4th year is now a veteran.  Vernon, Richardson, Ogunjobi,  Ward,  Joseph, Goodson, Terence Mitchell.  We do have some young players as well. 

Nope, if they are to be favored, it would be mainly the  3 pt. home field advantage.   Plus maybe a point or two  for having a veteran SB winning HC instead of a first time HC. 

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

We got thrown out of Jerry's place in 2012, after the 3rd PI call in a row on Buster Skrine. Refs gave the Cowboys that game. 

Beautiful stadium, but it's weird in a way....not many tailgaters at Cowboy games it seems. There were many Browns fans about doing that.

Someone said it costs like 50-100 bucks to park there.   Is there public transportation to get to the stadium? At those prices maybe everyone decides to ride to the games, thus not tailgating. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

We have a now veteran QB  (3rd year....Prescott going into 5th year).  And actually,  Prescott has only 1 year where he threw for more TDs that Baker's 27 in his rookie season, and that was this past year with 30. In his 4 years he has thrown  22, 22, 23, and 30 TDs....in all seasons he has started all 16 games.    Baker has one year of 22 tds, and one with 27 (in a partial season)

I would wager that if things go right that Baker will surpass any numbers that Dak has ever put up. 

Our defense is also made up of a lot of veterans:  Garrett in his 4th year is now a veteran.  Vernon, Richardson, Ogunjobi,  Ward,  Joseph, Goodson, Terence Mitchell.  We do have some young players as well. 

Nope, if they are to be favored, it would be mainly the  3 pt. home field advantage.   Plus maybe a point or two  for having a veteran SB winning HC instead of a first time HC. 

Back to my original point we could catch the Cowboys either way and the Cowboys have been the definition of bipolar (maybe the coaching change clears that up) beating teams like the Eagles and Rams by 20+ and then laying eggs against the Bills at home and the Jets on the road. I could see us catching the beating more than giving it.  

like him or not Dak has put together 3 great seasons. 

I would take Cowboys and -3 at home.  

17 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Back to my original point we could catch the Cowboys either way and the Cowboys have been the definition of bipolar (maybe the coaching change clears that up) beating teams like the Eagles and Rams by 20+ and then laying eggs against the Bills at home and the Jets on the road. I could see us catching the beating more than giving it.  

like him or not Dak has put together 3 great seasons. 

Don't know if I would classify them as great.  Good, sure.  Great?  Not in today's football world.

I would take Cowboys and -3 at home.  

Yea, like I said....just the 3 pt home field advantage

Maybe we can get more opinions on whether or not these seasons by Dak constitute "great" seasons in this day an age:

Passing 

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
Career       64 64 40-24-0 1363 2071 65.8 15778 97 4.7 36 1.7 782 90 7.6 7.8 11.6 246.5 97.0   136 826 6.77 6.92 6.2 8 14 60
2016* 23 DAL QB 4 16 16 13-3-0 311 459 67.8 3667 23 5.0 4 0.9 185 83 8.0 8.6 11.8 229.2 104.9 78.8 25 143 7.28 7.86 5.2 5 5 16
2017 24 DAL QB 4 16 16 9-7-0 308 490 62.9 3324 22 4.5 13 2.7 162 81 6.8 6.5 10.8 207.8 86.6 69.5 32 185 6.01 5.74 6.1 0 4 14
2018* 25 DAL QB 4 16 16 10-6-0 356 526 67.7 3885 22 4.2 8 1.5 206 90 7.4 7.5 10.9 242.8 96.9 56.2 56 347 6.08 6.22 9.6 3 5 14
2019 26 DAL QB 4 16 16 8-8-0 388 596 65.1 4902 30 5.0 11 1.8 229 62 8.2 8.4 12.6 306.4 99.7   23 151 7.68 7.84 3.7     16

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe we can get more opinions on whether or not these seasons by Dak constitute "great" seasons in this day an age:

Passing 

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
Career       64 64 40-24-0 1363 2071 65.8 15778 97 4.7 36 1.7 782 90 7.6 7.8 11.6 246.5 97.0   136 826 6.77 6.92 6.2 8 14 60
2016* 23 DAL QB 4 16 16 13-3-0 311 459 67.8 3667 23 5.0 4 0.9 185 83 8.0 8.6 11.8 229.2 104.9 78.8 25 143 7.28 7.86 5.2 5 5 16
2017 24 DAL QB 4 16 16 9-7-0 308 490 62.9 3324 22 4.5 13 2.7 162 81 6.8 6.5 10.8 207.8 86.6 69.5 32 185 6.01 5.74 6.1 0 4 14
2018* 25 DAL QB 4 16 16 10-6-0 356 526 67.7 3885 22 4.2 8 1.5 206 90 7.4 7.5 10.9 242.8 96.9 56.2 56 347 6.08 6.22 9.6 3 5 14
2019 26 DAL QB 4 16 16 8-8-0 388 596 65.1 4902 30 5.0 11 1.8 229 62 8.2 8.4 12.6 306.4 99.7   23 151 7.68 7.84 3.7     16

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

i don’t know what your standard is

17 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

i don’t know what your standard is

Well, when 10-12  QBs per year are throwing for  4000 yards,  and when QBs are throwing for upwards of 35-40 TDs per year,   I would say that Dak did have one really good year (2019)   and 3 mediocre years. (where his  3300ish and 22-23 ish TDs would not have put him into the top 10 or 15 in those categories per year) 

E.g.   in 2018, Baker's  rookie year,   he had more TDs  27 vs 22  and was only about 160  (3885 vs 3725)  yards less than Dak...in only 13 games vs 16 for Dak. 

And Baker's "Bad" season last year of  22 TDs and  3827 yards,  was as good as or better than  Dak's first 3 years.   (Baker's year was "bad"  admittedly because of the 21 Ints. he threw....which is quite a few more than Dak has thrown in any year in his careeer).  But that is just in comparison to Baker, not to any other QB in the league. 

46 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, when 10-12  QBs per year are throwing for  4000 yards,  and when QBs are throwing for upwards of 35-40 TDs per year,   I would say that Dak did have one really good year (2019)   and 3 mediocre years. (where his  3300ish and 22-23 ish TDs would not have put him into the top 10 or 15 in those categories per year) 

E.g.   in 2018, Baker's  rookie year,   he had more TDs  27 vs 22  and was only about 160  (3885 vs 3725)  yards less than Dak...in only 13 games vs 16 for Dak. 

And Baker's "Bad" season last year of  22 TDs and  3827 yards,  was as good as or better than  Dak's first 3 years.   (Baker's year was "bad"  admittedly because of the 21 Ints. he threw....which is quite a few more than Dak has thrown in any year in his careeer).  But that is just in comparison to Baker, not to any other QB in the league. 

Well 2018 was a Pro Bowl year for Dak and 2016 he threw for 23 TDS and only 4 INTs.  

i don’t even know what to make or where to start with your last paragraph 

i could give a flip about the Cowboys but he’s put up great numbers overall in four years. 

1 minute ago, SdBacker80 said:

Well 2018 was a Pro Bowl year for Dak and 2016 he threw for 23 TDS and only 4 INTs.  

i don’t even know what to make or where to start with your last paragraph 

What you make of it is this:     In 2019 Baker had 22 TDs....and 3827 yards.  Which numbers are essentially as good or better than  3 out of 4 seasons that Dak has played. 

Even in Daks  "good season"  the team only went 8-8 and did not make the playoffs. 

Or you can make this of it:    I would NOT trade Baker's future for Dak's.    OK, sure, one was  #1 overall, and the under was an underrated 4th round pick.  Be that as it may.....I like Baker's chances, if we were just comparing those two.  But we can't just compare those two,  because you set the "standard" by saying Dak had  put together 3 GREAT seasons, meaning you were comparing him to the rest of the QBs in the NFL.     

So,  2019,  Dak was second in the league with most passing yards.    He was 4th with 30 TDs.

In 2018   he was  15th  in passing yards.  He was  16th in TDs

In 2017  he was 16th in passing yards.  He was 14th in TDs

in 2016 he was 19th in passing yards.  He was 16th in TDs. 

These stats tell us that statistically, he has been a middle of the road NFL QB.   But...he may be getting better, since this last season was by far better than his previous 3. You may want to throw in some other stats, don't know if that will help.   He has had good, low Ints.  percentages  (does that mean he is cautious)  He is having a "great-ish" career....for a 4th round draft pick, I will grant you that. 

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Someone said it costs like 50-100 bucks to park there.   Is there public transportation to get to the stadium? At those prices maybe everyone decides to ride to the games, thus not tailgating. 

I do recall it was pricey, but it didn't stop us. But you might be right on the public transportation.

I have heard that the Dallas-Fort Worth area has the highest cost-of-living outside of the coastal cities in the USA.