THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Reveal New Uniforms

Vambo

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I give you carte blanche to give me your opinion of my places I have posted here. 

OK. Do they have at least 2 bedrooms & 2 baths? :rolleyes::P

Mike

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

My fiancée knows the family that just bought that house. 

It was one of the houses built by OC for one of his kids probably.

I checked out the asking price.    Even being an historic structure, that seemed  a very, very, very high asking price for that neighborhood.    (over $300K.)   Did they pay close to that for it?

For me the jerseys are just "ok "but I get going to a old style unis to please the older fan base and trying to get back to the roots of winning. I'm totally fine with that. With that said, very disappointed we still don't have a real logo. Just a pic of or non-de script helmet that has a stripe on. As someone that has done graphic design it drives me crazy thinking of all possible ways we could have jazzed it. Happy that the Haslams are donating all the proceeds of the jerseys to local covid-19 relief efforts. That's some classy shit.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

For me the jerseys are just "ok "but I get going to a old style unis to please the older fan base and trying to get back to the roots of winning. I'm totally fine with that. With that said, very disappointed we still don't have a real logo. Just a pic of or non-de script helmet that has a stripe on. As someone that has done graphic design it drives me crazy thinking of all possible ways we could have jazzed it. Happy that the Haslams are donating all the proceeds of the jerseys to local covid-19 relief efforts. That's some classy shit.

We do have logos,  all kinds of logos.  Just none on the helmet,,,,and fuck having a logo on the helmet.

You want logos:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1680&bih=959&ei=B1OeXt7eFtaFytMPhJ2YsAM&q=Cleveland+Browns+logos&oq=Cleveland+Browns+logos&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzICCAAyAggAMgIIADIGCAAQBRAeUITdAliTjwNgupUDaABwAHgAgAG6AYgBvRGSAQQxNC44mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img&ved=0ahUKEwie_qyztfjoAhXWgnIEHYQOBjYQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

OK,....but  #3 and #1 conflict.   And by posting photos of the house in here, the "none of our business" proviso flew out the window.  

(and are you telling me that your wife of  50 years never get into critiques of the decor of  houses other than your own?)

What a colossal prick...

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

But, we did keep like the carriage house intact:

ISma6iptk67jez0000000000.jpg

I don't like the horizontal white lines there, they should be at the level of the floor slab, not at the level of the windowsills. 

Also, I don't think the cornerstones have a structural function, and the ones forming two colums in the middle of the facade make no sense at all. 

But I guess it's all about appearance and not about architecture. People tend to forget that some features in the buildings were there because they served a purpose, and start repeating or moving them unknowingly, when you can have good architecture without pasting what end up being ornaments. 

8 hours ago, Nero said:

I don't like the horizontal white lines there, they should be at the level of the floor slab, not at the level of the windowsills. 

Also, I don't think the cornerstones have a structural function, and the ones forming two colums in the middle of the facade make no sense at all. 

But I guess it's all about appearance and not about architecture. People tend to forget that some features in the buildings were there because they served a purpose, and start repeating or moving them unknowingly, when you can have good architecture without pasting what end up being ornaments. 

Isn't a good part of architecture about appearance?    This particular house was built by  OC Barber who between like 1890 and 1920  built a number of structures with similar style, including the mansion in the photo hereinabove.  He was a "Guilded Age" Industrialist who also created an experimental farm. As time went by, there came upon the town named after him...Barberton,  an incredible lack of foresight wherein the mansion was torn down and the area of the farm was built up into  shall we say, lesser quality housing and strip shopping areas.    However, a number of the structures were preserved that had that style.  I will give you a few photos and you can critique them:

Here was his Pig barn:

O.C._Barber_Piggery.jpg

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

What a colossal prick...

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I assume this is a request for architectural photos:

Torre_Agbar_-_Barcelona,_Spain_-_Jan_200

Is that the "Gipper Tower"? 😉

Mike

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Isn't a good part of architecture about appearance?    This particular house was built by  OC Barber who between like 1890 and 1920  built a number of structures with similar style, including the mansion in the photo hereinabove.  He was a "Guilded Age" Industrialist who also created an experimental farm. As time went by, there came upon the town named after him...Barberton,  an incredible lack of foresight wherein the mansion was torn down and the area of the farm was built up into  shall we say, lesser quality housing and strip shopping areas.    However, a number of the structures were preserved that had that style.  I will give you a few photos and you can critique them:

Here was his Pig barn:

O.C._Barber_Piggery.jpg

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And here was his Colt Barn:

220px-Barberton_Barber_Farm_Barn.jpg

Gip, are these structures still standing? I believe I've seen them in Barberton recently.

Mike

3 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Gip, are these structures still standing? I believe I've seen them in Barberton recently.

Mike

Yes,  these are ones still standing.  The Piggery,  the Colt Barn,  Barn No. 1 (which became Yoder Bros. HQ).   The Machinery, and  The Creamery....which is the "house" that Dutch said was purchased by a friend of his fiance's.   There may be a few others standing.  

From what I understand, there were originally  like 35 or more buildings....all built in the early 1900s, but by  the late 60s, all but about a half dozen had been torn down.  As I said, an absolute lack of foresight on the part of the city, not knowing that what they had was a unique entity in America.  It could have been on the order of a Williamsburg had it been preserved,  but no, the city had to have its strip shopping and substandard housing to support the factory workers of the town.  Of course, now, most of those factories are gone or have gone from employing a couple of thousand to about 100 people. 

• Thanks 1

Just watched the 2nd Building The Browns.  At the end we saw some of the players getting their first look at the new uniforms.  OBJ's face was funny.  He hates 'em.  :)   He ain't a Brown at heart.  Whereas Bitonio held up the white jersey and said, "When I think of the Cleveland Browns, this is what I think of."   He's a Goddamm Cleveland Brown!!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Orion said:

Just watched the 2nd Building The Browns.  At the end we saw some of the players getting their first look at the new uniforms.  OBJ's face was funny.  He hates 'em.  :)   He ain't a Brown at heart.  Whereas Bitonio held up the white jersey and said, "When I think of the Cleveland Browns, this is what I think of."   He's a Goddamm Cleveland Brown!!

Bitonio is the man. He’s got a little ways to go to get to JT manliness, but I think he may get there. 

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I have no problems with the helmets staying the same. But is it too much to be asking for a new emblem on the shoulder, upper chest area like NBA jerseys where 2 years ago? Then making that logo the official primary. Personally I'm a fan of Brownie the elf but the "dogg pound" logo could have worked as well. The current logo design just screams of laziness and is so vanilla and plain jane. Everyone in my family that doesn't live in the state thinks it looks like something a high school team would roll with.

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Is that the "Gipper Tower"? 😉

Gip's High School nickname was "Stubby."

He's been compensating ever since...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Gip's High School nickname was "Stubby."

He's been compensating ever since...

Actually, surprise, surprise...my high school nickname was "Gipper". 

And why does it surprise no one that when the subject of my schmekel may come up on this board,  your ears perk up and there you are, right there on it

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Here was his Pig barn:

O.C._Barber_Piggery.jpg

Yes, architecture is about appearance too. But in architecture, most of the appearance is made by the construction itself. Modern construction needs less "elements",so some of them become pure appearance, and sometimes architects use them wrongly. 

See how in the older ones you posted there is no line in the height of the windowstill. If they have cornerstones in the middle, it must be because there are two load bearing brick/stone walls in the middle perpendicular to the facade. I bet you the modern one I commented doesn't, and simply has some pillars in the interior of the house, or bearing walls made of timber/concrete. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yes,  these are ones still standing.  The Piggery,  the Colt Barn,  Barn No. 1 (which became Yoder Bros. HQ).   The Machinery, and  The Creamery....which is the "house" that Dutch said was purchased by a friend of his fiance's.   There may be a few others standing.  

From what I understand, there were originally  like 35 or more buildings....all built in the early 1900s, but by  the late 60s, all but about a half dozen had been torn down.  As I said, an absolute lack of foresight on the part of the city, not knowing that what they had was a unique entity in America.  It could have been on the order of a Williamsburg had it been preserved,  but no, the city had to have its strip shopping and substandard housing to support the factory workers of the town.  Of course, now, most of those factories are gone or have gone from employing a couple of thousand to about 100 people. 

Thank you. I saw them & recall thinking that there had to be something of a story behind them as they were SO different. The same could be said about "The Timken Stables" in Canton that Chris Spielman attempted to turn into a restaurant (a failed effort), which is now a Synagogue. I ate/drank there a few times. Here is a pic from those days...

The Stables fails to sell at sheriff's sale - News - The ...

That was such a neat place. Another was the old Quaker Oats Tower in Akron.

Mike

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Thank you. I saw them & recall thinking that there had to be something of a story behind them as they were SO different. The same could be said about "The Timken Stables" in Canton that Chris Spielman attempted to turn into a restaurant (a failed effort), which is now a Synagogue. I ate/drank there a few times. Here is a pic from those days...

The Stables fails to sell at sheriff's sale - News - The ...

That was such a neat place. Another was the old Quaker Oats Tower in Akron.

Mike

I was there a couple of times