THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Reveal New Uniforms

Vambo

13 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

I figure to spend much more time fishing this year, so I'm cleaning my fly tying area, fly lines, & re-organizing my fly boxes & tackle boxes to get ready. I've already moved from chaos to "so THAT'S where I put that thing!" Next is to sit there & actually tie some new flies.

If we can't go to the stadium this fall, I can at least enjoy some deep fried bluegill filets.

Mike 

Sounds like an episode of the Andy Griffith Show in Mayberry......which isn't all bad !

Getting back to a more relaxed normal like of hiking, camping and fishing.   Takes me back to my teenage years in the late 60s and early 70s of grabbing my gear and walking to Liberty Lake about a quarter mile from our house.  We'd just follow the creek and then we were there.

And come home with a stringer full of crappies, bluegills and other panfish to filet and fry up.   Oh yeah.......

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Where's the orange guitar?

When I bought my Gretsch Electrochromatic  Hollow Body one of the choices was orange.  And it looked pretty cool.  But at the time I didn't have that white Jaguar (pictured) so I bought the snow white one with the gold hardware and gold Bigsby.  ( I DID play the orange one in the music store though )

32 minutes ago, Orion said:

When I bought my Gretsch Electrochromatic  Hollow Body one of the choices was orange.  And it looked pretty cool.  But at the time I didn't have that white Jaguar (pictured) so I bought the snow white one with the gold hardware and gold Bigsby.  ( I DID play the orange one in the music store though )

What PUP's do you have in that Strat?

1 hour ago, nickers said:

What PUP's do you have in that Strat?

Those are Noiseless N3's.  (it's a 2014 Deluxe  -  60th anniversary year, has the 60th ann. neckplate).   I had swapped them out and put in Custom Shop '54's with a David Gilmore pickguard (black, of course).  It looked wicked good!  Sounded good too.  About 6 months ago I put it back to original (which is the N3's and mint pickguard,  still sounds wicked good) and put the '54's in my Highway One (2005).  The 60th Deluxe has S1 switching...which is a kinda' cool thing.  (I love that strat...but I love the Jag too....and the Gibson ES-355, and the 2019 Gretsch Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunder, and my Tele Double Cut 10 for 15, and the Tele Custom, etc.)  :)

9 hours ago, Orion said:

Those are Noiseless N3's.  (it's a 2014 Deluxe  -  60th anniversary year, has the 60th ann. neckplate).   I had swapped them out and put in Custom Shop '54's with a David Gilmore pickguard (black, of course).  It looked wicked good!  Sounded good too.  About 6 months ago I put it back to original (which is the N3's and mint pickguard,  still sounds wicked good) and put the '54's in my Highway One (2005).  The 60th Deluxe has S1 switching...which is a kinda' cool thing.  (I love that strat...but I love the Jag too....and the Gibson ES-355, and the 2019 Gretsch Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunder, and my Tele Double Cut 10 for 15, and the Tele Custom, etc.)  :)

Yeah.. I have a Parts strat with a Hot Rails mini in the bridge.. and pickups from other guitars.. it sounds great.. I have 2 LP's one a washburn WP-50 with a tiger maple top.. has some unusual ibanez pickup in the bridge And a Seymour Duncan Dist pickup in the neck.. And by golly.. it sounds great.. I have 5 strats in various makes and models.. 1 knock off Tele that I love.. An old Danelectro Convertible , 3 acoustics.. And a beater Sterling guitar Which was basically the original EVH Music Man guitar And I put EMG's in it..

• Like 1

I've got a strat that I built.  It's got a rosewood fretboard (roasted maple neck) and 3 lace sensors (a 'hot' lace sensor at the bridge).  It had no headstock decal.  My drummer said, "You should get one that says Phender".   Don't ya know I found one on the net.  :)

Here's my Billy-Bo.   Way back when, Bo Didley designed it and had Gretsch build him one.  Later on he gave it to Billy Gibbons.  Billy said that it was too rare of a guitar to take out on tour so he had Gretsch build it for him.   Mine's a 2019.  Got it $800 off.  Not a mark on it.  It's only made in Japan.

Billy-Bo - s.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Heres a knock of LP and Tele.. And My parts guitar..

Parts%202.jpg

Yup, that one has the iconic look of a PartsCaster.  :)  It's a cool feeling after you've built your own.  (I like whammy guitars, all 3 of my strats have whammy's, and I like my bridge 'floating' - most of the time I don't use the whammy bar, I use the heel of my palm on the bridge and get a tremolo effect)

If I ever build a guitar again (which I probably won't) I'd make sure that it's got the bridge holes pre-drilled.  That was scary, making sure that the bridge was in the right place.  A little too far right or left and you've got a string too close to the side of the neck.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Yup, that one has the iconic look of a PartsCaster.  :)  It's a cool feeling after you've built your own.  (I like whammy guitars, all 3 of my strats have whammy's, and I like my bridge 'floating' - most of the time I don't use the whammy bar, I use the heel of my palm on the bridge and get a tremolo effect)

If I ever build a guitar again (which I probably won't) I'd make sure that it's got the bridge holes pre-drilled.  That was scary, making sure that the bridge was in the right place.  A little too far right or left and you've got a string too close to the side of the neck.

Yeah... I hate Floyd Rose bridge systems.. They're bulky, ugly and severely overrated.. Then people say well..  "Standard trems don't stay in tune".. And my reply is "really"... "Then explain why standard trems stay in tune for Jeff Beck and Michael Landau"..... Leo Fender had it right the first time... The true fact is.. Strats with Trems were supposed to be set up stock to be floating.. And sold that way.. Floyd Rose can go to hell.. I have had them and I think not only do they suck.. But they're a pain in the ass!.. I just want to tune up and go...

19 minutes ago, nickers said:

Then explain why standard trems stay in tune for Jeff Beck

He uses an LSR Roller Nut on his.  I have one on the strat I built.  Jeff does a lot of big dives.  If you're going to do big dive bombs then your guitar will go out of tune but the rollernut eliminates strings getting hung up at the nut.  The guitar tech I go to installed the rollernut for me.  He told me for my other guitars to rub some Ivory soap over the nut getting some into the grooves when I change my strings.  (some people use pencil lead but Ivory soap is white)  The other guitar tech at the shop wanted me to have the trem bridge set up flat to the body for more stable tuning.  From that position you can only dive (which is what you mostly do with a whammy bar).  He says that it stays in tune much better like that...but I float it because I like to palm the bridge for that tremolo, without having to be on my tremolo pedal. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Orion said:

He uses an LSR Roller Nut on his.  I have one on the strat I built.  Jeff does a lot of big dives.  If you're going to do big dive bombs then your guitar will go out of tune but the rollernut eliminates strings getting hung up at the nut.  The guitar tech I go to installed the rollernut for me.  He told me for my other guitars to rub some Ivory soap over the nut getting some into the grooves when I change my strings.  (some people use pencil lead but Ivory soap is white)  The other guitar tech at the shop wanted me to have the trem bridge set up flat to the body for more stable tuning.  From that position you can only dive (which is what you mostly do with a whammy bar).  He says that it stays in tune much better like that...but I float it because I like to palm the bridge for that tremolo, without having to be on my tremolo pedal. 

I use this stuff.. it works great.. in a pinch.. I'll use graphite from a pencil.... And yeah.. I knew about the LSR Roller Nut... All the same... I love standard American strat bridges..

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Bends-Luber-Ultra-Applicator/dp/B000SHQ1QC

21 minutes ago, Axe said:

Right here. ;)

24313135_10154777813236511_7725463888620

Yeah. Nice.  Sunset Orange am I correct?

2 point bridge, push in bar?  (I prefer that bridge & saddles over the vintage).  

On the strat that I built I have a Wilkerson tremolo bridge.  Quite nice.

2 hours ago, nickers said:

I use this stuff.. it works great.. in a pinch.. I'll use graphite from a pencil.... And yeah.. I knew about the LSR Roller Nut... All the same... I love standard American strat bridges..

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Bends-Luber-Ultra-Applicator/dp/B000SHQ1QC

Yeah, I'm aware of the 'nut sauce'.  :)

I'm trying to think, which guitar has the Teflon nut.  I think I put it in my Highway One strat. 

10 minutes ago, Orion said:

Yeah. Nice.  Sunset Orange am I correct?

2 point bridge, push in bar?  (I prefer that bridge & saddles over the vintage).  

On the strat that I built I have a Wilkerson tremolo bridge.  Quite nice.

It started life as a 2013 American Deluxe HSS Strat. Metallic Sunset.. Hence the roller nut.. ;)

I've used it on one recording I can recall. A TSO cover

https://www.mixposure.com/the-ark-project/audio/18798/noel-come-all-ye-faithful

I pulled the Fender pickguard and loaded in a Mint Green with Dimarzio HS3's and 2s

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Axe said:

It started life as a 2013 American Deluxe HSS Strat. Metallic Sunset.. Hence the roller nut.. ;)

I pulled the Fender pickguard and loaded in a Mint Green with Dimarzio HS3's and 2s

I thought I noticed a roller nut.  I like that sunset color.  I still like my 2014 Deluxe with my David Gilmore...but I put the mint back on because it's the 60th anniversary year.   The mint guard probably makes it pop more.

[Edited]     --- I removed the pic for 'this' one which shows better how it really looked with the black pickguard -   

Strat Black - Ps.png

---------------------------------------

So, if Tampa & Atlanta are showing off their new uni's......When will our polka-dots be unveiled?

• Like 2

... and we're back to guitars...

Which reminds me of a story... I bought a bunch of miscellaneous vacuum tubes (all were NOS, but low audio demand) from a local guy on ebay years ago. We met in a parking lot to settle the deal. Nice guy.... guitar playing EMT for a town north of Houston. We ended up swapping ebay and scrounging stories and his was of a big box of guitar pieces he noticed when on an injury call to a business in his town. Chatted with the owner, made him and offer and took the box home.

Turned out to be pieces of about 2-1/2 vintage Fender Strats from the early 60's... he about shit himself. Anyway he contacted Fender and arranged for them to reassemble, repair and authenticate them. Cost him a lot more than the box did, but he way more than recouped his outlay by selling one. He put the other in a glass case in his "play" room.

Beat the hell out of my best story...

image.png.0da8b45c37e9389337291e7b8cb8303a.png

I really have to change some browser settings...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Axe said:

Speaking of new unis.

Atlanta and my Bucs rolled out new ones

2ae0aa80-799b-11ea-bb75-f1ae8b4ee46c

92552998_10156631967251511_2721537723969

Tampa Bay basically went back in time, pre-the most puzzling rebranding in NFL history, and brought back their great Mike Alstott-era uniforms. A lot of people were clamoring for the Bucs to bring back their creamsicle uniforms from the 70s and 80s, but a lot of people were wrong. They did keep the oversized helmet logo from the alarm clock uniform era, though.

The Falcons new unis suck. So painfully trendy, they'll age incredibly bad. 

And Lynyrd Skynyrd's Allen Collins was a criminally underrated guitarist. R.I.P. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Tampa Bay basically went back in time, pre-the most puzzling rebranding in NFL history, and brought back their great Mike Alstott-era uniforms. A lot of people were clamoring for the Bucs to bring back their creamsicle uniforms from the 70s and 80s, but a lot of people were wrong. They did keep the oversized helmet logo from the alarm clock uniform era, though.

And Lynyrd Skynyrd's Allen Collins was a criminally underrated guitarist. R.I.P. 

I was one that ranted against the digital alarm clock numbered  ball sack nose new unis. Had arguably the best unis in the league and the Retard triplets decided they had to put their stamp on things .. I guess effing up Manchester United wasn't enough..

Yes re: Allen Collins and the Falclowns new unis.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Again....point out the differences between the Bucs and the Falcons Unis in that photo  (besides the helmet).  I guess I am not seeing much. 

Edit....I guess I see a slight difference in the numbers...that's about it. 

10 minutes ago, Axe said:

I guess you're color blind..

No.....they are both  red, black, white.    TBs  red may have a slight bit more orange tint....very slight. 

Unless you got another picture that shows the differences better. I am not really seeing much of that Pewter color.....which was lighter than this almost black they have now.