THE BROWNS BOARD

Ohio hospitals will have to triple capacity for predicted mid-May coronavirus peak, according to Cleveland Clinic

Wow.... this is going to be the case everywhere.

Local City/County officials are already looking at our Convention center. City of ~85,000 with two full hospitals...

EDIT: Sorry... meant two full-service hospitals... not that the hospitals are full.

Since peaks tend to hit different areas at different times... seems like some regional facility agreements with patients shipped to temporary locations is going to have to be developed. Now way can a given state build, staff and stock double and triple the facilities.

Camping... hey, if the destination takes you even further away from others... why not?

But if it's KOA... not so much...

Our dream trip is going out west - camping along the way. we love tent camping, but buying a small

camper seems to be the right thing to do - for air conditioning, etc. Or, we wait to do that til next year.

A big camp out a bunch of us go to in Sept - there have been several cancellations out of fear.

Temporary life changer.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Really? Then why in the hell is one of the two major health  systems in Dayton that my wife works at doing mandatory staff reductions?  Calm before the storm?  She said  right now, the place is a ghost town, nothing to do. Two employees in her department on voluntary self quarantine.  So sure, could get ugly fast. 

One of our homeless  shelters is renting hotel rooms  to keep those folks separated  as much as possible.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Image may contain: 1 person, possible text that says 'Benjamin Dixon @BenjaminPDixon You have zero excuse for supporting a candidate who opposes Medicare for All at this point. 3.3 million people just lost their "if you like your employer benefits you can keep them" benefits. Healthcare can never again be tied to employment. 12:31 PM 26 Mar 20 Twitter for iPhone'

Great- I hope you know, Medicare Part B isn't free. Like if you want to go to a doctor? And it doesn't pay 100% either. Costs $144 bucks a month. Of course, no income- go on Medicaid- that pays for everything, but you're going to get second or third rate service, take a number, wait in line. 

Medicare already is losing the government money- so make it 100% available to everyone- you do the math. Our xenophobes will have a conniption making available to illegal immigrants. 

40 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Great- I hope you know, Medicare Part B isn't free. Like if you want to go to a doctor? And it doesn't pay 100% either. Costs $144 bucks a month. Of course, no income- go on Medicaid- that pays for everything, but you're going to get second or third rate service, take a number, wait in line. 

Medicare already is losing the government money- so make it 100% available to everyone- you do the math. Our xenophobes will have a conniption making available to illegal immigrants. 

You betcha !!!!!!!!!

On 3/27/2020 at 7:23 PM, calfoxwc said:

by golly, this had better be over by then, we be going camping.

Do the Frank Zappa song... "I  might be moving to Montana soon, just to raise me up a crop of dental floss"... Where your nearest neighbors are miles away. Eastern Wyoming is fine too, driving that way saw a sign, Ranch for sale, 35,000 acres.  :)  

On 3/28/2020 at 11:28 AM, calfoxwc said:

Our dream trip is going out west - camping along the way. we love tent camping, but buying a small

camper seems to be the right thing to do - for air conditioning, etc. Or, we wait to do that til next year.

A big camp out a bunch of us go to in Sept - there have been several cancellations out of fear.

Temporary life changer.

Did that in summer of '71 with two HS buds... albeit at a pace better suited for the very young we were at the time.

7000 miles in 20 days on one friends new, Ford Fairlane 500... 3 sleeping bags... one 2-man tent... Coleman lamp and burner... zero camping experience. What could go wrong?

First stop some campground in Nebraska... could get nothing to work. Next nite Jackson Hole.... got everything to work... and then the rains came. Only nite all three of us crammed into the tent. Next morning drove to Yellowstone where the the precipitation was snow... close to a foot of it... did I mention that it was late-June?

Got as far north and a Montana town just outside Yellowstone's North Entrance... as far West as Oakland, CA... as far South as Tijuana.

Couldn't sink in the Great Salt Lake... surfed at Sunset Beach (or at least tried to).

Saw Yosemite and Carlsbad Caverns... and a lot of gorgeous country everywhere.

Can't think of much I'd trade those memories for...

• Upvote 1

back in '69, we decided that we didn't drink, and my best friend's older brother had a friend who went down to Ft. Lauderdale, after graduation, and got into a lot of trouble. We didn't drink, and we decided the three of us would go to the wilderness camping instead.

Way, way up into Ontario - a ways past the main road crossed the Mississauga River, down a long dirt road, down a 6 mile jeep trail, to a beautiful lake. We took my Parent's big canoe and went way cross the lake til we found a perfect place to put our camp. Had perfect weather for the entire trip.

The stories are priceless. Following a big moose and baby right in front of my 66 Chevy, a bear stepped on our tent three times, sniffing near our heads til he walked away ...it was 3 AM. We got up, restarted the fire and stayed up til dawn. lol.

I was diving in 12' of water for some big spoons that spilled out of somebody's tackle box, and a few pieces of crystal clear quartz, but I got bit by a bunch of black flies, and later that evening, I broke out in a rash that stung and itched like hell. All over my body.

It got worse the next day, and my friends insisted we had to pack up and quit our vacation days early, but I wouldn't do it.

We went to the ranger station, at this little store there - and the Ranger's Wife looked at my rash, and said she had some of that, once, and the old indian out back knew a plant that would fix it.

So, back out behind the store was a little old cabin, and this old indian came out, probably in his late eighties, and told us about a plant we could pick right in the area we were camping. So, we go back to camp, they help me pick a bunch of the green leaves of the ground plant, and I sat around the fire crushing them up and rubbing them on my skin. Oh, yeah, they had a field day laughing about that one.

Except, wherever I put the juice of the leaves on my skin, the itch stopped in about 20 seconds. and by the next morning, 98% of the rash was gone.

Oh, how I have always wanted to know what that plant was. I want to grow it in our woods ! There was something he said about if the plant is flowered, only use the yellow flowered ones, or if it was purple? - it would not help at all.

We caught 21-24" northern pike aplenty, none to waste, and ate like kings, with blueberry cobbler, etc. I taught them about eating cattail plants, even cooked up some roots....

Priceless memories.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/28/2020 at 11:28 AM, calfoxwc said:

Our dream trip is going out west - camping along the way. 

Temporary life changer.

Loved your camping & Indian story cal. Ever read William Faulkner's short story, "The Old People?" My grandson and I just read it together at my suggestion for his home school language arts assignment. He loved it. So would you if you never read it. It has an old half Chickasaw Indian as a main character teaching a coming of age 12 y.o. boy on his first deer kill. Grandson turns 12 this April so it was the prefect story for a new adventurer. Next year he gets to shoot my Henry .22 for the first time when he turns 13. Daughter's ruling. I think I may have mentioned she was a natural on it like her grandfather was. Never seen anyone shoot like that the first time they ever tried anything. She had never even shot a BB gun before and she outshot me right from the getgo. I had expert marksmen badges in the service, but she was dead on from shot one. Very jealous because I had to work so hard to become a decent shot.

Anyway back to life changer. My wife and I always go see my 75 y.o. brother in Estes Park every summer. Since he and his wife are in self quarantine for safety with months of food to support them, we have decided not to go there this year for fear we might become carriers along the way. We'll have to see how the virus is doing by August when we were thinking of going. We have already told our kids & grandkids that Colorado is off limits for them this year since they often come with us. Guess I can always do the trail around Lake Georgetown. Did that once about 20 years ago and this time I would take at least 2-3 gal of water along. It's around 17 miles and gets pretty hot those last few miles in the early August afternoon. I may look up some trails in other state parks and see what they have in the Hill country. I will miss walking the RMNP trails Near Estes Park though. An every summer event I love to plan each year.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:42 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Loved your camping & Indian story cal. Ever read William Faulkner's short story, "The Old People?" My grandson and I just read it together at my suggestion for his home school language arts assignment. He loved it. So would you if you never read it. It has an old half Chickasaw Indian as a main character teaching a coming of age 12 y.o. boy on his first deer kill. Grandson turns 12 this April so it was the prefect story for a new adventurer. Next year he gets to shoot my Henry .22 for the first time when he turns 13. Daughter's ruling. I think I may have mentioned she was a natural on it like her grandfather was. Never seen anyone shoot like that the first time they ever tried anything. She had never even shot a BB gun before and she outshot me right from the getgo. I had expert marksmen badges in the service, but she was dead on from shot one. Very jealous because I had to work so hard to become a decent shot.

Anyway back to life changer. My wife and I always go see my 75 y.o. brother in Estes Park every summer. Since he and his wife are in self quarantine for safety with months of food to support them, we have decided not to go there this year for fear we might become carriers along the way. We'll have to see how the virus is doing by August when we were thinking of going. We have already told our kids & grandkids that Colorado is off limits for them this year since they often come with us. Guess I can always do the trail around Lake Georgetown. Did that once about 20 years ago and this time I would take at least 2-3 gal of water along. It's around 17 miles and gets pretty hot those last few miles in the early August afternoon. I may look up some trails in other state parks and see what they have in the Hill country. I will miss walking the RMNP trails Near Estes Park though. An every summer event I love to plan each year.

My best friend, since hs, and that camping trip - the four of us are really close - we plan on doing a LOT of fishing. His Wife just had a new knee surgery in Fed - we want to explore out West.

Ah, the stories. I think I told the story about teaching my Wife to shoot on the mnt in WV on a trip before we were married....

My Wife and I have as one of our hobbies, buying old outdoor books, old westerns. So many of those are so much fun to read.

I will find "The Old People"  !!!

Teaching kids to shoot, ride an ATV, camp... is such an honor. So many are adults now, and they come out and I see them being exactly safe as we taught them - riding ATV's and especially, shooting. He's actually beat me to it - assembling his own AR-15.

Crap. I think I'll start working on my lower today, unless Wife and I start on another jigsaw puzzle, which I'm not good at.

Just two weeks ago, a best friend's son came out to our place with his girlfriend - they wanted to just camp out overnight in the cold. LOL He had told her most of what he learned about the outdoors and shooting was because we taught him. My Wife and I mentioned that they probably shouldn't camp in the woods - stay in the field out back. His girlfriend asked why, and he grinned, and said it was because of "widow-makers" - big branches that can break off, dead trees that can keel over. He said he learned that from us when he and his sister would go camping with us as kids. His parents have never camped, never been outdoors, period.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Crap. I think I'll start working on my lower today, unless Wife and I start on another jigsaw puzzle, which I'm not good at.

Just two weeks ago, a best friend's son came out to our place with his girlfriend - they wanted to just camp out overnight in the cold. LOL He had told her most of what he learned about the outdoors and shooting was because we taught him. My Wife and I mentioned that they probably shouldn't camp in the woods - stay in the field out back. His girlfriend asked why, and he grinned, and said it was because of "widow-makers" - big branches that can break off, dead trees that can keel over. He said he learned that from us when he and his sister would go camping with us as kids. His parents have never camped, never been outdoors, period.

Jigsaw puzzles!🤮 Wifey does those things all the time. Not my idea of "fun". I'd rather spend time mowing the weeds and the deer's wild grass in the Outback. 

There is a pdf in there somewhere for you. 

https://harpers.org/archive/1940/09/the-old-people/