THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Sign OL and rework another

darren15

Browns have reworked Chris Hubbard's deal, he stays with a reworked deal giving us more cap space .....we have also signed C/OG Evan Brown once of the Giants

• Thanks 2

Interesting.  I wonder if they plan to try and move Hubbard to RG?

Or if he stays at RT and we're basically done with the tackle position.  (which I'm hoping isn't the case)

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Or if he stays at RT and we're basically done with the tackle position.  (which I'm hoping isn't the case)

Isn’t ConklIn the new RT

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2020/3/26/21195639/chris-hubbard-staying-with-browns-via-new-contract-what-are-the-teams-plans-for-him

An article with some of the details. It’s a significant pay cut for Hubbard. Kind of a classy move on his part, likely spawned out of necessity, sure. I’m hard pressed to think of a player who reworked his deal so significantly to stay with their team.

• Thanks 3

Hubbard was on with Bull & Fox one time.  He's a heck of a nice guy.  FWIW      -  I'll pull for nice guys...now that he renegotiated out of that salary that would've got him cut.  :)    Perhaps Callahan can make something out of him.of 

• Upvote 1

Keeping Hubbard is a great move.  He had some bad games no doubt about it.  But Baker and the play caller let us down more often than anything last year.

On to the draft These tackle prospects have solid potential at the next level I wouldn’t call any of them all pro level talent at any point.  We are talking about putting one of them at left tackle in their first year too.  

Let’s hope!!! I guess.  

9 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Have to be able to win the leverage game to win inside.  That isn't something he excels much at. 

Less true in a ZBS, but then Hubbard doesn't move all that well either.

11 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2020/3/26/21195639/chris-hubbard-staying-with-browns-via-new-contract-what-are-the-teams-plans-for-him

An article with some of the details. It’s a significant pay cut for Hubbard. Kind of a classy move on his part, likely spawned out of necessity, sure. I’m hard pressed to think of a player who reworked his deal so significantly to stay with their team.

Maybe he and his agent are smart.  Very possibly the re-worked deal is better than what he could possibly get as a FA.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Orion said:

Don't forget we signed FA Jack Conklin to start at RT for the next few years here (edit: looks like Browns149 said this before me).  That would make Hubbard a backup/fill-in starter like he was in Pittsburgh (back when they were a good offensive team).  Clint Eastwood once said "A man's got to know his limitations" and Hubbard's new reduced contract reflects this.  This isn't a bad backup to have IMO especially with his willingness/desire to stay here. The last 2 knuckleheads we had starting at LT will probably be competing against each other for the Mean Machine's starting LT job against the Prison Guards.  Their new GM John Dorsey was unavailable for comment; but rumor has it one of his go-fors is trying to get Kareem Hunt to hang with Pac Man Jones for a weekend. Head Coach and Former Altar Boy with Tourette's Syndrome (Andrew Dice Clay) is in love with the idea.  Stay Tuned???

As far as RG goes, I thought we saw a drastic improvement when Wyatt Teller took over the starting job last year.  Having said that, drastic improvement still included some chemistry/continuity glitches as well as learning experiences. Sometimes he overextends when his feet come to close together underneath in the running game, which makes it easier for the DT to toss him aside.  That should improve with film and experience - very easy teaching points for Callahan.  

• Like 1

Am starting to warm up to this Andrew Berry guy.. never thought of it.. fair offer from both sides..Makes Hubbard earn his playable, tradeable or cutable...Evan Brown is a high spars score addition.With Kush gone, we needed a back-up Center.. LT & RG will have lots of eyes on them

• Upvote 2

Really happy we re-worked Hubbard, good veteran to keep around. Good swing tackle who can play inside too. Don't necessary think he's a better guard than Teffler, and we have Forbes there too, but it gives us that vital depth everywhere, especially with a rookie going to be at LT. If he practices at four different spots it saves a roster spot for somewhere else too, solid ... Berry has really impressed me so far.

Zombo

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Less true in a ZBS, but then Hubbard doesn't move all that well either.

Less true, but not completely incorrect.  Agreed on his feet though.  Can't imagine the liability he would be as a full time starter should Stef have a game plan calling for a good deal of OZ.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Less true, but not completely incorrect.

Thus my use of the term "less"... ;)

The ZBS is a bit of a haven for less strong OL, but puts a premium on movement, balance... hell... just about everything else come to think of it.

It really allows a team to emphasize agility, etc. in OL selection for PassPro, yet still be able to have an effective, even dominating, ground attack by adopting a run block style that is very similar in skillset demands to PassPro.

Above just crystallized in my mind... not exactly a "revolutionary" insight... but when you are in your late 60's, you take what you can get.

Thanks, tia... :)

9 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

New CBA allows 8 OL so not bad to have your top 8 as the 5 starters including rookie, Hubbard, Evan Brown, Kendall Lamm. 

Bring on the battles for roster churn.. One of Brown/Lamm/Hubbard won't make it out of training camp

OK, but who do you have as the 5 starters?   We know 3:   Tretter, Bito, Conklin.    Who would be the other 2?    Particularly at RG?

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Thus my use of the term "less"... ;)

The ZBS is a bit of a haven for less strong OL, but puts a premium on movement, balance... hell... just about everything else come to think of it.

It really allows a team to emphasize agility, etc. in OL selection for PassPro, yet still be able to have an effective, even dominating, ground attack by adopting a run block style that is very similar in skillset demands to PassPro.

Above just crystallized in my mind... not exactly a "revolutionary" insight... but when you are in your late 60's, you take what you can get.

Thanks, tia... :)

Happy to help.

"My brain's a tree, and you're those little cookie elves".

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

OK, but who do you have as the 5 starters?   We know 3:   Tretter, Bito, Conklin.    Who would be the other 2?    Particularly at RG?

LT rookie and Teller -- he's no all-pro but he's more than competent.. and if that's also the description of our rookie that's fine by me.  Don't want to have big contracts at every OL spot -- at least one should be on a rookie deal.

Prince Charles has corona.. This is a valuable datapoint, because we can say that the virus is heir-borne.

26 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

LT rookie and Teller -- he's no all-pro but he's more than competent.. and if that's also the description of our rookie that's fine by me.  Don't want to have big contracts at every OL spot -- at least one should be on a rookie deal.

Prince Charles has corona.. This is a valuable datapoint, because we can say that the virus is heir-borne.

Well,  Boris Johnson also has it,   so we could say it is  hair-borne.

(What about Drew Forbes...where does he fit?)

boris-johnson-6-1471423735-view-0.jpg