THE BROWNS BOARD

Nevada Governor Signs Emergency Order Banning Prescriptions of Hydroxychloroquine For Treatment of Coronavirus…

OldBrownsFan

Unbelievable. I posted this and took it down because I thought maybe I hadn't read it right. I did read it right. He has banned doctors from prescribing hydroxychloroquine for treatment of coronvirus because it wasn't "meant" for that but malaria.....

Nevada Governor Signs Emergency Order Banning Prescriptions of Hydroxychloroquine For Treatment of Coronavirus…

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2020/03/24/nevada-governor-signs-emergency-order-banning-prescriptions-of-hydroxychloroquine-for-treatment-of-coronavirus/

20 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

Unbelievable. I posted this and took it down because I thought maybe I hadn't read it right. I did read it right. He has banned doctors from prescribing hydroxychloroquine for treatment of coronvirus because it wasn't "meant" for that but malaria.....

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2020/03/24/nevada-governor-signs-emergency-order-banning-prescriptions-of-hydroxychloroquine-for-treatment-of-coronavirus/

Why is this unbelievable?

The testing of hydroxychloroquine's effectiveness in treating COVID-19 is in the preliminary phase, and initial results are inconclusive at best, and no statistical difference at worst.

Meanwhile, hydroxychloroquine has a proven track record in treating other diseases like malaria and lupus. And because of the exaggerated rumors about hydroxychloroquine and COVID-19, there have been individuals and corporations who've began to buy out the supplies of it, depriving people with malaria and lupus of it. 

So, you stop the off label use of a limited stock medicine that might not even be effective at treating COVID-19 and save it for the use of patients with diseases who have been proven to be effective in treating said diseases.

Despite what that far-right dish rag that you posted as a source said, it's not TDS. It's just common sense.

• Like 1

Believe me, if hydroxychloroquine is proven to be a major treatment of COVID-19, pharmaceutical and chemical companies across the US and the globe will be shitting those pills out 24/7. No need to short change people with other diseases and potentially kill them due to rash panic buying of the stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, jbluhm86 said:

Why is this unbelievable?

The testing of hydroxychloroquine's effectiveness in treating COVID-19 is in the preliminary phase, and initial results are inconclusive at best, and no statistical difference at worst.

Meanwhile, hydroxychloroquine has a proven track record in treating other diseases like malaria and lupus. And because of the exaggerated rumors about hydroxychloroquine and COVID-19, there have been individuals and corporations who've began to buy out the supplies of it, depriving people with malaria and lupus of it. 

So, you stop the off label use of a limited stock medicine that might not even be effective at treating COVID-19 and save it for the use of patients with diseases who have been proven to be effective in treating said diseases.

Despite what that far-right dish rag that you posted as a source said, it's not TDS. It's just common sense.

The patient or the patients family should make the call not the governor that is why. We are supposed to be in a crisis and we are a year away from a vaccine and the best and most promising drug should be available upon a patient's request.

1 minute ago, OldBrownsFan said:

The patient or the patients family should make the call not the governor that is why. We are supposed to be in a crisis and we are a year away from a vaccine and the best and most promising drug should be available upon a patient's request.

Most promising treatment =/= best PROVEN treatment.

Again, you're short-changing and potentially killing thousands of people with other diseases who depend on hydroxychloroquine to survive because other people made a run on the drug because of claims of effectiveness that are inconclusive at best. It's not even close to being demonstrated to be effective at treatment of COVID-19, and it's a finite resource, so it absolutely makes sense to restrict its off label use until conclusively proven otherwise.

2 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Again, you're short-changing and potentially killing thousands of people with other diseases who depend on hydroxychloroquine to survive because other people made a run on the drug because of claims of effectiveness that are inconclusive at best. It's not even close to being demonstrated to be effective at treatment of COVID-19, and it's a finite resource, so it absolutely makes sense to restrict its off label use until conclusively proven otherwise.

You recently thought you had the coronavirus and you didn't. Lets say you lived in Nevada and you did have severe life threatening symptoms of coronavirus. I don't know about you but I would want to make the decision myself about taking hydroxychloroquine over the governor making the decision for me.

7 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

You recently thought you had the coronavirus and you didn't. Lets say you lived in Nevada and you did have severe life threatening symptoms of coronavirus. I don't now about you but I would want to make the decision myself about taking hydroxychloroquine over the governor making the decision for me.

So on the one hand, you'd have me, with severe, life threatening symptoms of coronavirus, who MAY be saved by hydroxychloroquine. On the other hand, you have another patient with lupus or malaria who WILL die unless he/she receives hydroxychloroquine treatment, but there's not enough to go around. Who's case is more compelling when you balance us out on the scale?

Just now, jbluhm86 said:

So on the one hand, you'd have me, with severe, life threatening symptoms of coronavirus, who MAY be saved by hydroxychloroquine. On the other hand, you have another patient with lupus or malaria who WILL die unless he/she receives hydroxychloroquine treatment, but there's not enough to go around. Who's case is more compelling when you balance us out on the scale?

First of all we don't even know if that would be the case. The idea of hoarding this drug? By whom? Only doctors could prescribe it. Dr. Fauci himself said he would take hydroxyclhoroquine if he had severe symptoms of coronavirus. 

If we want to go with your argument then set aside the amount of the drug needed for those with lupus and malaria to save their lives and use any left over for those with severe coronavirus symptoms but the governor should not be making an outright ban for doctors to prescribe this drug when it may be the coronavirus's patients only hope of survival.

24 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

I'm unsure of the point you're trying to make. Can you clarify?

Sure. Sorry. The governor has decided to ban medical professionals from prescribing a particular compound. I assume we are starting from a basis of doctors leaving this medication could be helpful so that their opinion should outweigh the governor's. If is a science vs politics thing

WSS

49 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

We absolutely know it's the case, because it's already happening

I knew that if there was any hoarding it would not be by the masses but had to be by doctors (dentists surprised me). If the doctors are hoarding this drug for themselves and their families that should tell you something about what they believe about the drug's effectiveness.That said they should not be hoarding either when it could cost the lives of others.

For now they need to figure out what is necessary for malaria and lupus patients and then anything extra goes for coronavirus patients with severe symptoms. And maybe that is the answer to doctors and dentists who are hoarding. These prescriptions are to go to sick coronavirus patients only. I would like to see any punishment go to doctors abusing prescriptions and not see critically ill coronavirus patients suffer with an outright ban from a governor.

4 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Sure. Sorry. The governor has decided to ban medical professionals from prescribing a particular compound. I assume we are starting from a basis of doctors leaving this medication could be helpful so that their opinion should outweigh the governor's. If is a science vs politics thing

WSS

Ah, much more clear, thanks. 

I don't think the problem is as simple as the governor playing politics and intentionally screwing doctors out of medicine.

The primary focus of doctors is to save lives. They aren't as concerned about the medical supplies, or lack thereof, to do their job. People like pharmacists, on the other hand, are medical and scientific individuals just like doctors, but they are more acutely aware of the finite resources when it comes to medical supplies. Political officials have to factor in these people's assessments as well as the doctors when making judgement calls. It sucks, and it really highlights the stupidity of globalization of the US's overseas production of essential medicines, but unfortunately, resources are finite so you have to be more vigilant in their usage in order to achieve the most benefit for the most people.

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Just for the record this flies in the face of the guys that demand science and medical professionals over politicians right?

WSS

Liberal obstructionism knows no bounds does it...

• Upvote 1

Teva to send US millions of malaria pills with potential to help COVID-19

Israeli generic drug giant Teva announced Friday that it will provide ten million doses of its anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine, which could potentially prove effective in fighting the coronavirus pandemic, to US hospitals free of charge.

The company said six million doses will be delivered to US hospitals by March 31, and more than ten million in a month.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/teva-to-send-us-millions-of-malaria-pills-with-potential-to-help-covid-19/

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

Ah, much more clear, thanks. 

I don't think the problem is as simple as the governor playing politics and intentionally screwing doctors out of medicine.

The primary focus of doctors is to save lives. They aren't as concerned about the medical supplies, or lack thereof, to do their job. People like pharmacists, on the other hand, are medical and scientific individuals just like doctors, but they are more acutely aware of the finite resources when it comes to medical supplies. Political officials have to factor in these people's assessments as well as the doctors when making judgement calls. It sucks, and it really highlights the stupidity of globalization of the US's overseas production of essential medicines, but unfortunately, resources are finite so you have to be more vigilant in their usage in order to achieve the most benefit for the most people.

Yes. But a Governor placing a ban implies that the doctors do not have their patients and their will being first and foremost in their minds. Slightly similar to my weed opinion. I think people want weed basically just to get high I don't care about that but if a medical doctor actually thinks it will treat a particular malady who am I to call him a liar?

WSS

3 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

There is nothing in the "article" regarding who is writing the scripts. Nothing in the article regarding the severity of illness in those seeking the use of the drug.

It is available... just not thru your family Dr... and not for those who are not severely ill.

There is a FDA process for emergency, off-label usage of drugs in life-threatening situations.

Remember Fen Phen? Two registered pharmaceuticals some Dr's believed when Rx'd in combo produced weight loss?

21 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

There is nothing in the "article" regarding who is writing the scripts. Nothing in the article regarding the severity of illness in those seeking the use of the drug.

It is available... just not thru your family Dr... and not for those who are not severely ill.

There is a FDA process for emergency, off-label usage of drugs in life-threatening situations.

Remember Fen Phen? Two registered pharmaceuticals some Dr's believed when Rx'd in combo produced weight loss?

The only valid reason I can see for this governor doing this is if there is hoarding going on and possibly malaria patients who need the drug may not have it. There are other ways to prevent that without the governor totally banning doctors from writing prescriptions for the drug. In normal times we would like to have more testing of hydroxychloroquine but these are emergency times especially for those with severe symptoms of coronavirus.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/nevada-governor-bars-use-of-malaria-drug-for-coronavirus/

29 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

There are other ways to prevent that without the governor totally banning doctors from writing prescriptions for the drug.

Such as?

Here is the NV.gov news release. Hoarding is mentioned... apparently there's been a nationwide run on the drug.

Governor Sisolak signs emergency regulation restricting drug distribution during COVID-19

Las Vegas, NV — Today, Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak signed an emergency regulation promulgated by the Nevada State Board of Pharmacy related to the prescription and issuance of two certain drugs.

While the drugs serve necessary medical purposes, there is no consensus among COVID-19 experts or Nevada’s own medical health advisory team that the two drugs provide treatment for COVID-19 patients. The emergency regulation is aimed at preventing hoarding of the drugs.

“This emergency regulation protects Nevadans who needs these drugs for legitimate medical purposes. At this point in time, there is no known cure for COVID-19 and we must not withhold these drugs from those who need them,” said Gov. Steve Sisolak. “The best way to prevent the spread of COVID-19 is to stay home for Nevada, not to stockpile these drugs.”

The regulation prohibits the prescribing and dispensing chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine for a COVID-19 diagnosis, requires an ICD-10 code on prescriptions for the drugs and limits the prescription amount to a 30-day supply for the drugs.

The emergency regulation will ensure access for Nevada patients to chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine for legitimate medical purposes.

“This emergency regulation is a strong step in protecting patients. While studies are underway on the usefulness of these drugs in treating COVID-19, we must deal with facts, not fiction,” said Dr. Ishan Azzam, the chief medical officer for the state Division of Public and Behavioral Health. “Preserving these drugs for those who need it is the right decision.”

Just now, Tour2ma said:

Such as?

Here is the NV.gov news release. Hoarding is mentioned... apparently there's been a nationwide run on the drug.

"The governor's own orders preventing prescriptions for more than 30 days for it's other uses..that is one way to do it instead of banning doctors altogether from prescribing it. We know this medication has already saved at least one patient in the United States."

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/nevada-governor-bars-use-of-malaria-drug-for-coronavirus/

8 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

jb- it's an anti malarial. There were about 2,000 cases of malaria in the United States last year, that's roughly 5 cases per day- and most new cases are going to come from areas where malaria is endemic. With restrictions on international travel, not happening. The odds someone is going to die from malaria in this country because this drug is being diverted to other uses is infinitesimally remote compared to the possible benefits of using it to treat covid.

Teva shipping a few million doses? The stuff is cheap, and relatively easy to manufacture....  

4 minutes ago, JAFBF said:

image.png.011e235da064aac5fde5824e4a17318b.png

image.png.1c95d49c3c65599e65d46dde54577e0b.png

This really upsets me. Hydroxychloroquine is a cheap easily mfg drug. Israel has just promised to give us 10 million doses. If there is hoarding going on by doctors of this drug there are other ways to combat that without banning the drug altogether for patients who need it. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I saw where some states including Ohio are limiting prescriptions for Hydroxychloroquine to patients who actually have covid 19 and not for people using it as a preventative. This makes sense to me. If we have limited amounts then save it for those who actually need it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-pharmacies/states-work-to-limit-prescriptions-of-potential-coronavirus-drugs-idUSKBN2190XC