THE BROWNS BOARD

Democrats Decide Getting the Orange Man Is More Important than Saving Lives

OldBrownsFan

Senate Democrats filibustered a procedural vote to end debate on the phase 3 Wuhan virus relief bill on Sunday. This came after negotiations had agreed to a framework bill, one which gave Democrats almost everything they wanted.

Apparently, Nancy Pelosi, who had taken the weekend off, came back into town and blew up the process. There’s also disagreement going on within the Senate Democrat caucus about how much to work with Trump during this crisis. Some see this as the chance to tar him the way they did former President Bush after Hurricane Katrina.

These are decisions being made purely on aspirations of political gain.

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2020/03/22/democrats-filibuster-wuhan-virus-relief-bill-more-worried-about-hurting-trump/

I'm not saying the Dems aren't at fault for anything. Politicians across the board suck. I'm sure they're thinking about how this affects them in November.

But do you really just believe Red State and McConnell at face value? You don't think it's possible there's anything else going on? You don't have any inclination to question what's in that article at all?

20 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I'm not saying the Dems aren't at fault for anything. Politicians across the board suck. I'm sure they're thinking about how this affects them in November.

But do you really just believe Red State and McConnell at face value? You don't think it's possible there's anything else going on? You don't have any inclination to question what's in that article at all?

This was in the article. This is from a liberal writer at the NY Times. She obviously believes politics is guiding at least some democrats instead of focusing on the good of the country.

Some Dems are betting that Trump will he received as Bush post-Katrina as opposed to Bush post-9/11. And there’s a split among Dems about how they ought to be handling Trump in this moment, which so far has ended up benefiting the president.

Speaking of the (unbiased) NY Slimes Times

Watch: NY Times Headline Evolves, as It Spins Dems Blocking Virus Relief Bill that Would Help Americans
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

the left holding the needy American people hostage for more power in return.

I hope the republicans don't cave. If we truly are in an crisis emergency they should pass a clean bill that focuses on the coronavirus.  Looks like they had worked at a deal until Pelosi came back to DC and blew it up.  No doubt following the democrat playbook of never letting a crisis go to waste.

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Meanwhile trumpy is talking about getting people back to work within 15 days while his medical advisors are saying the worst is not here yet. Seems like there is no monopoly on idiocy in either party,

It may get to the point where the cure is worse than the disease. What the medical experts are wanting may lead us into another Great Depression.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, OldBrownsFan said:

It may get to the point where the cure is worse than the disease. What the medical experts are wanting may lead us into another Great Depression. 

Are you volunteering for the hit list OBF?😇

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I hope the republicans don't cave. If we truly are in an crisis emergency they should pass a clean bill that focuses on the coronavirus.  Looks like they had worked at a deal until Pelosi came back to DC and blew it up.  No doubt following the democrat playbook of never letting a crisis go to waste.

now the are "blackmailing" all of us for......... global warming.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/democrats-push-for-environmental-measures-and-increased-union-power-in-coronavirus-stimulus-bill-stalling-progress

Democrats push for environmental measures and increased union power in coronavirus stimulus bill, stalling progress

'Millions are losing jobs while they play these games.

Surely they lose the house over this garbage. Americans' lives are being used as leverage.

• Upvote 1

Duly noted that the so-called conservatives here can't wait to see a bill of over $2-trillion dollars passed with few strings attached.... little oversight...

Including Hundreds of billions handed to Treasury Secretary Munchkin to dole out at his discretion... no oversight... not even any reporting of how it's used for 6 months.

Not all that long ago $780 billion was outlandish...

Pelosi's coronavirus stimulus includes return of 'Obamaphones,' other unrelated items, GOP says

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pelosis-coronavirus-stimulus-bill-includes-return-of-obamaphones-climate-change-wishlist

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi introduced her own emergency coronavirus stimulus bill on Monday, leading furious Republicans to argue that much of the proposal contained a progressive wishlist seemingly unrelated to the crisis -- including several provisions that amount to a resurrection of the notorious "Obamaphone" program, GOP officials said.

The bill proposed by Pelosi, D-Calif., additionally seeks to eliminate debt held by the U.S. Postal Service, require same-day voter registration, pay off $10,000 in student debt per person, mandate that airlines reduce their overall carbon emissions by 50 percent by 2050, and force federal agencies to explain to Congress how they are increasing their usage of "minority banks."

And, the legislation would provide for the automatic extension of nonimmigrant visas and restrict colleges from providing information about citizenship status.

"People are dying and all Nancy Pelosi and Democrats can focus on is ripping off the American taxpayer to help pay for their liberal wish list of government handouts," National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) spokesman Michael McAdams said in a statement.

Didn't see anything about the coronavirus...

The GAO report found that about 10.6 million people have an Obamaphone, but 36 percent of them may not qualify. The audit also concluded that more than 5,500 people were found to be enrolled for two phones, while the program was paying for about 6,400 phones for persons the government has listed as dead, the paper reported.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Duly noted that the so-called conservatives here can't wait to see a bill of over $2-trillion dollars passed with few strings attached.... little oversight...

A FEW STRINGS? Have you seen the list? of course not. It's substantial.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/03/23/nancy-pelosi-has-packed-coronavirus-stimulus-liberal-wish-list-column/2903577001/

"Liberal special interests

The 1119-page bill is Christmas in March for liberal special interests. It imposes racial and gender pay equity provisions, diversity on corporate boards, increased use of minority-owned banks by federal offices, and a grab-bag of other diversity-themed requirements. It increases the collective bargaining power for unions and cancels all the debt owed by the U.S. Postal Service to the U.S. Treasury. For the global warming crowd there are increased fuel emission standards and required carbon offsets for airlines, plus tax credits for alternative energy programs. For the kids there is a provision for student loan payment deferment, and for the education bureaucrats who overcharge them a $9.5 billion giveaway to colleges and universities. It gives $100 million to juvenile justice programs, and suspends various aspects of enforcement of immigration laws.

Perhaps the most troubling sections of the bill are under the rubric ‘‘American Coronavirus/COVID–19 Election Safety and Security” or ‘‘ACCESS” Act. This section would impose requirements on states for early voting, voting by mail, required mailing of absentee ballots to everyone, ballot harvesting (i.e., having third parties deliver absentee ballots), online voter registration, same-day registration and other practices which undermine confidence in the integrity of the ballot. In these days of increasing threats to election security we should be moving rapidly back to in-person paper ballots, but this bill would be a radical step in the wrong direction.

It is hard quickly to root out whatever other aspects of this bill bear no relationship to COVID-19, but to its backers that is the point. We can’t really know what’s in it until they pass it, to paraphrase Speaker Pelosi on another such memorable occasion.

The politics of the Democratic proposal are not hard to figure. Democrats are concerned that the Coronavirus crisis could be a “9/11 moment” for President Trump, that people might put aside partisanship for a moment to rally around a leader trying his best to help the country cope. "

"a few" YEESH. That's sad.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

It may get to the point where the cure is worse than the disease. What the medical experts are wanting may  will lead us into another Great Depression.  

They're medical experts, not economic experts. And in that regard, the medical experts have their heads buried in the sand. Save lives? Sure. But at what cost? Any cost? Looks that way from my POV. At the cost of a 1929 level depression to save X lives? Call me cold blooded- people are going to die regardless. Just a question of how many Americans are going to be willing to put up with while they sit at home watching reruns of All in the Family, instead of returning to some sense of normalcy.  It's a no win situation regardless.  

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Are you volunteering for the hit list OBF?😇

OK, my concern has moved from a 1\10 to a 3\10 Ag. When we hit 100,000 (in the USA) fatalities it moves to a 5\10. There's a difference between being a volunteer- and realizing  there's around a 99% chance you're not going to show up in the obits because of the uber deadly panic corona. 

It's a long story, but we have "adopted grandkids"  lol

But after the stay at home shutdown - we decided to have them not come

over for a couple of weeks. the risk is too great. We'll give their parents the keys to our

4 wheeler so they can still go on rides, etc...

but it seems after I pick up groceries tomorrow, through the drive through, we are going to be in two week seclusion mode.

I had to go to the drug store today, I actually wore a mask and nitrile gloves I use for wood finishing, etc.

A few other folks wore masks. It's time to just shut the world out few weeks.

I really, really, really, REALLY hate china now.

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

It's a long story, but we have "adopted grandkids"  lol

But after the stay at home shutdown - we decided to have them not come

over for a couple of weeks. the risk is too great. We'll give their parents the keys to our

4 wheeler so they can still go on rides, etc...

but it seems after I pick up groceries tomorrow, through the drive through, we are going to be in two week seclusion mode.

I had to go to the drug store today, I actually wore a mask and nitrile gloves I use for wood finishing, etc.

A few other folks wore masks. It's time to just shut the world out few weeks.

I really, really, really, REALLY hate china now.

What? You're not volunteering for trumpy's new Soylent Green premature economic recovery program for old farts? OBF has risen to the challenge!!  👴☠️👻😇☁️

Now me I put on an N-95 mask, gloves and a Clorox wipe in "hand", got the large shopping cart and picked up difficult things to find here like milk & bread for the grandkids, Kleenex for the 4 allergenic people in 2 households, two 5 lb bags of red potatoes, one 24 pack TP for my daughter & her family and various other normal things. Came home and "detoxed" through the "clean room" in the laundry just inside from the garage where I wiped all containers with Clorox wipes, placed the mask in plastic bag and put it, the gloves and the windbreaker in the sun, striped off the clothes into the washer, washed the hands with Dial and went to the shower for everything else.  🚿

Then I taught my daughter how it was in the 40's & 50's by leaving milk & bread (TP was a bonus) on her doorstep and ringing the doorbell. She wouldn't give me a tip because there was no cream at the top of the milk like there always was in the ole timey days. I knew I should have raised her ignorant of history dammit.😱

We cannot order pickup anymore, even through the senior special on-line pick up that was instituted. It goes out two weeks and stops. All slots are full.👎

Stay safe all you old farts or you will become a stat in the SS expense reduction program that will result from reopening everything next week. Ask the world how many are 55 and older in the permanent casualty stats. Latest I saw was 99%. What a smart guy that trumpy is! Maybe I have time enough to get my absentee vote in for him before I sing his praises with the other elderly voices.🐸🐸🐸🐸

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

A FEW STRINGS? Have you seen the list? of course not. It's substantial.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/03/23/nancy-pelosi-has-packed-coronavirus-stimulus-liberal-wish-list-column/2903577001/

"Liberal special interests

The 1119-page bill is Christmas in March for liberal special interests. It imposes racial and gender pay equity provisions, diversity on corporate boards, increased use of minority-owned banks by federal offices, and a grab-bag of other diversity-themed requirements. It increases the collective bargaining power for unions and cancels all the debt owed by the U.S. Postal Service to the U.S. Treasury. For the global warming crowd there are increased fuel emission standards and required carbon offsets for airlines, plus tax credits for alternative energy programs. For the kids there is a provision for student loan payment deferment, and for the education bureaucrats who overcharge them a $9.5 billion giveaway to colleges and universities. It gives $100 million to juvenile justice programs, and suspends various aspects of enforcement of immigration laws.

Perhaps the most troubling sections of the bill are under the rubric ‘‘American Coronavirus/COVID–19 Election Safety and Security” or ‘‘ACCESS” Act. This section would impose requirements on states for early voting, voting by mail, required mailing of absentee ballots to everyone, ballot harvesting (i.e., having third parties deliver absentee ballots), online voter registration, same-day registration and other practices which undermine confidence in the integrity of the ballot. In these days of increasing threats to election security we should be moving rapidly back to in-person paper ballots, but this bill would be a radical step in the wrong direction.

It is hard quickly to root out whatever other aspects of this bill bear no relationship to COVID-19, but to its backers that is the point. We can’t really know what’s in it until they pass it, to paraphrase Speaker Pelosi on another such memorable occasion.

The politics of the Democratic proposal are not hard to figure. Democrats are concerned that the Coronavirus crisis could be a “9/11 moment” for President Trump, that people might put aside partisanship for a moment to rally around a leader trying his best to help the country cope. "

"a few" YEESH. That's sad.

Oversight? the democrats adding their wish list to this bill (that has nothing to do with the coronavirus) is not oversight. It is following the democrat playbook of never letting a crisis go to waste. 

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Including Hundreds of billions handed to Treasury Secretary Munchkin to dole out at his discretion... no oversight... not even any reporting of how it's used for 6 months.

Not all that long ago $780 billion was outlandish...

I have some concerns about this stimulus. I would have less concerns if we were running a 23 trillion dollar surplus instead of a 23 trillion dollar debt. This is all borrowed money on the credit card (that is already maxed out),  This is more debt burden being left for our younger generation to inherit. I am very concerned about our debt problem and our inability to bring it down. 

The democrats piling on doesn't make it any better,

• Upvote 1

The best thing the Republicans did is get their bill out first. Both sides we're going to present something partisan that the other would shoot down. But now Republicans get to set the narrative that it's the Democrats that are hurting America by not voting for this bill. 

If anyone really thinks the Democrats are only focused on politics but the Republicans are only focused on helping America then you need to open your eyes and get your head out of your party's ass.