THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign safety Andrew Sandejo

darren15

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe its a "Moneyball" thing. 

Isn't that what the A's did with baseball players?  Get a lot of guys on 1 year prove it deals? 

honestly i do not have the slightest idea

Yeah the A’s notorious for this. They can’t afford to be locked down to underperforming contracts because they are a small market team.

Like this for the Browns. Gives them the opportunity to not overreach for need in the draft and take BPA. Also, they can possibly strike gold on a player or two. It seems this off-season they have been taking underperforming former high round picks. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, browns23 said:

Yeah the A’s notorious for this. They can’t afford to be locked down to underperforming contracts because they are a small market team.

Like this for the Browns. Gives them the opportunity to not overreach for need in the draft and take BPA. Also, they can possibly strike gold on a player or two. It seems this off-season they have been taking underperforming former high round picks. 

And, if they don't work out:  Sayonara.

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well...I said that we were going to need at least 2-3 safeties....and we got 2 now, right?  

At least 2 suffices as 3>2...

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Maybe its a "Moneyball" thing. 

Isn't that what the A's did with baseball players?  Get a lot of guys on 1 year prove it deals? 

No...

Moneyball used Bill James' analytics to ID under-valued players. Then they locked those players up for as long as was reasonable considering their age. They believed in their system enough to commit to multi-year deal believing the odds were that most they signed were going to succeed. They knew that when they were right that the player's would succeed to the point that they would be unaffordable when it came time to renew their contract.

Helps, if you read the book...

• Upvote 2

Lots of 1 yr deals.  By mid-season, if they like some of these guys, then hopefully they get them signed up for longer periods of time.

At least it looks like we'll be able to field a team next season though (except for LB'er at the moment).

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

At least 2 suffices as 3>2...

No...

Moneyball used Bill James' analytics to ID under-valued players. Then they locked those players up for as long as was reasonable considering their age. They believed in their system enough to commit to multi-year deal believing the odds were that most they signed were going to succeed. They new that when they were right that the player's would succeed to the point that they would be unaffordable when it came time to renew their contract.

Helps, if you read the book...

I didn't read it. Just saw the movie.   It is why I asked the question.  But it does sound at least partial Moneyball.  It seems, maybe, that these guys signed to one year deals are those that their analytics identify as  under-valued players?   For whatever reason then, with these guys, they varied from it by only going with one year deals.   They didn't do the same with Hooper, Keenum, Conklin though. Was it because they were NOT viewed as "Under-valued" players? 

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well...I said that we were going to need at least 2-3 safeties....and we got 2 now, right?   

And what IS the status of Randall?

Did he sign somewhere? 

After this past year I'll personally pack Randall's bags out of town.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Do these guys see an opportunity for a bigger contract by coming here?

Your take seems right to me...

I'd guess ours was the best offer they saw, and they we're willing to bet on themselves and use us to springboard to the big bucks in another round of FA in 2021.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Asshole!!

No, I wasn't calling you that nick....just interpreting!! :D

I know your Honor...👍.. All good.. And stay safe.. We all need to pull together and eradicate this COVID-19 ..

I'd forgotten Sandejo was a Rice grad... For a long time Rice was good to produce a Pro per class... at least on average... but it's been while. Covington was the last and that's been a few years ago. Still... pretty good for a smallish school with very high academic standards.

I did not realize Andrew was as old as he is, so this time we've added an old injury history. He's not posted a complete season since he became a full-time starter in 2015. Prior to that he was part-time starter.

He will definitely increase the brain power in the DB room... but...

Sendejo has been primarily a SS, just like Joseph... so Andrew moves to FS where he's had a handful of starts all of which were on years-younger legs?

Darren?

39 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I'd forgotten Sandejo was a Rice grad... For a long time Rice was good to produce a Pro per class... at least on average... but it's been while. Covington was the last and that's been a few years ago. Still... pretty good for a smallish school with very high academic standards.

I did not realize Andrew was as old as he is, so this time we've added an old injury history. He's not posted a complete season since he became a full-time starter in 2015. Prior to that he was part-time starter.

He will definitely increase the brain power in the DB room... but...

Sendejo has been primarily a SS, just like Joseph... so Andrew moves to FS where he's had a handful of starts all of which were on years-younger legs?

Darren?

A rice grad .....does he have an Uncle Ben ?

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I didn't read it. Just saw the movie.   It is why I asked the question.  But it does sound at least partial Moneyball.  It seems, maybe, that these guys signed to one year deals are those that their analytics identify as  under-valued players?   For whatever reason then, with these guys, they varied from it by only going with one year deals.   They didn't do the same with Hooper, Keenum, Conklin though. Was it because they were NOT viewed as "Under-valued" players? 

Don't overthink it.  Bare cupboards lead to grocery list leads to how much can I buy (also bearing in mind there's 31 other teams shopping).   Or, you can apply the rules of grocery shopping during Corona Virus era principles.  While one is overthinking - someone else is buying the toilet paper he needs.  In other words, know what you want and make it happen.  Let's not turn this into a 10 page back and forth debate about Money Ball.

We know that not all of these guys will work which is why they're getting a 1 year contract. Having said that, vets can be valuable at helping younger players with preparation on the practice field and in the film room if you get the right guys not to be confused with the Kenny Britts and Dwayne Bowes. And, if some of these guys have better luck with injuries - they can be very helpful on game day.  The 1st year we signed Robinson, who woulda thought he'd be the LT protecting the blind side of a rookie QB breaking the rookie record for TD passes?  We also had a rookie RB averaging over 5 yards a carry...  As we saw, Robinson wasn't a long term solution - but for 1 season the panic about life after Joe Thomas subsided.   Now we have a chance to draft a LT at #10 overall.    

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Don't overthink it.  Bare cupboards lead to grocery list leads to how much can I buy (also bearing in mind there's 31 other teams shopping).   Or, you can apply the rules of grocery shopping during Corona Virus era principles.  While one is overthinking - someone else is buying the toilet paper he needs.  In other words, know what you want and make it happen.  Let's not turn this into a 10 page back and forth debate about Money Ball.

We know that not all of these guys will work which is why they're getting a 1 year contract. Having said that, vets can be valuable at helping younger players with preparation on the practice field and in the film room if you get the right guys not to be confused with the Kenny Britts and Dwayne Bowes. And, if some of these guys have better luck with injuries - they can be very helpful on game day.  The 1st year we signed Robinson, who woulda thought he'd be the LT protecting the blind side of a rookie QB breaking the rookie record for TD passes?  We also had a rookie RB averaging over 5 yards a carry...  As we saw, Robinson wasn't a long term solution - but for 1 season the panic about life after Joe Thomas subsided.   Now we have a chance to draft a LT at #10 overall.    

But, isn't what you have said here essentially the essence of Moneyball?   So, OK, I didn't read the book  (maybe I should)...but, isn't it the whole idea of "buying" a player on the cheap in hopes that that player can either be or return to being a productive player he once was.  Basically, squeezing the best out of these guys that they can give.....and if it doesn't work, you didn't spend a lot, and if it does, you get a decent, if limited return on your minimal investment?   And that sort of worked with Robinson, for a year. 

That is just my impression about what Moneyball is, sorta.  But if you experts out there in the concept think otherwise, by all means, advise us. 

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

That is just my impression about what Moneyball is, sorta.  But if you experts out there in the concept think otherwise, by all means, advise us. 

Back in the day moneyball was bargaining a $15 lay down to $10.🤑

22 hours ago, The Gipper said:

But, isn't what you have said here essentially the essence of Moneyball?   So, OK, I didn't read the book  (maybe I should)...but, isn't it the whole idea of "buying" a player on the cheap in hopes that that player can either be or return to being a productive player he once was.  Basically, squeezing the best out of these guys that they can give.....and if it doesn't work, you didn't spend a lot, and if it does, you get a decent, if limited return on your minimal investment?   And that sort of worked with Robinson, for a year. 

If the topic was about Moneyball - that would be a decent idea.  But, it's not so why hi-jack the thread?  Therefore, are we Yo quiero Sendejo or No quiero Sendejo?

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Tour already told you what moneyball was. You just don't want to accept that answer as it doesn't line up with what you think moneyball is.

1 hour ago, bjh2130 said:

Tour already told you what moneyball was. You just don't want to accept that answer as it doesn't line up with what you think moneyball is.

Who said I didn't want to accept his answer?  Not I.  I was asking Flugel if this guy fit into that concept. What I certainly do accept is that you are being an overofficious interfering cockwad. 

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

If the topic was about Moneyball - that would be a decent idea.  But, it's not so why hi-jack the thread?  Therefore, are we Yo quiero Sendejo or No quiero Sendejo?

So, what is this thread about?  Certainly anything related to the Bandejo was covered in the first one or two posts.  Should it have been shut down then and there?  Here is the defintion of Moneyball:

Moneyball is a term describing baseball operations in which a team endeavors to analyze the market for baseball players and buy what is undervalued and sell what is overvalued. Unlike a common misconception, it is not about OBP, but whatever is undervalued at that time. It is most commonly used to refer to the strategy used by the front office of the Oakland Athletics. It derives its name from a Michael Lewis book of the same name.
Through their strategy of Moneyball, the Oakland Athletics have been amoung the top contenders in baseball, at least up to this season.
Which pretty much fits in with what  Tour defined it as,  except that he made it more generic and just did not apply it to baseball and the As. 
And considering that the guy that more or less invented Moneyball...and who was the subject of the movie about it, (and maybe the book?)  is the guy that is now the Chief Strategic Officer of the Cleveland Browns...DePodesta,   I think it is a legit question to ask if he is bringing some of the same concepts here and applying them.