THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign linebacker

darren15

Kinda remember the name from Clemson... not so much the player.

Short, stout, nice combine... 30 reps... OK-ish 40, but nicer 10-yd split. Decent 3-cone

29 career starts including 7 at MLB in a 4-3... pretty active inside. Triple the starts at OLB all in a 3-4.

Feels like he's going back inside for us to compete to be our Mike.

image.png.0a059d8e05a75abdbc04cfde021b8f37.png

image.png.d9af7b9cdfe5f868b7891a2bfc73d4e1.png

And there it is....

Sometimes the old feelers still work.

Cleveland Browns Agree To Terms With Their New Middle Linebacker, B.J. Goodson

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/cleveland-browns-agree-to-terms-with-their-new-middle-linebacker-b-j-goodson

34 minutes ago, ATOM said:

he is not enough mostly a special teamer i would think maybe play in rotation but not a starter

Agreed, if he's the starter that would be a bad sign. For depth, OK. He's serviceable. I guess they got to add someone considering they lost two, right? They will be drafting a LB for sure. 

1 minute ago, Icecube said:

Agreed, if he's the starter that would be a bad sign. For depth, OK. He's serviceable. I guess they got to add someone considering they lost two, right? They will be drafting a LB for sure. 

schobert got i think 11 mill a year ? maybe berry should have thought twice about letting him go

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Orion said:

His numbers (tackles) don't scream Pro Bowl that's for sure.

This pretty much sums up what they were looking at for him. A Joe S replacement is a real stretch.

......SI...Goodson, who will be 27 this season, is more of a downhill, thumping linebacker that can take on and shed blocks to get to the ball carrier. He tested really well as an athlete for the position coming out of Clemson, but doesn't offer much in pass coverage.......

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

more of a downhill, thumping linebacker that can take on and shed blocks to get to the ball carrier...........doesn't offer much in pass coverage...

...so he's the anti Joe Shobert.  

Double edged sword here.  I liked Shobert's ability to play pass coverage zones.....but we've gotta stop the run somehow.

4 hours ago, Icecube said:

So, your answer to my question of how he compares to Kirko of Schobert is:  he is not as good....and we need to keep working on that position? 

Fare thee well. 

2 hours ago, Orion said:

I liked Shobert's ability to play pass coverage zones.....but we've gotta stop the run somehow.

here's where am interested to watch Joe as a Jag... For 2 years in GW defense, the all 22's would show under Williams, Gregg had no concerns about keeping 2nd level blockers off our LB'ers..numerous times both our DT's were asked only to get to the QB.. so we shot right past the RB with ball in the hole. And Joe was smothered, mostly by Guards. if only 1 DT sat in any kind of zone against the run first? it might have helped? Next DC,, Once Wilks lost Vernon & Myles? It was the same old DT's shooting gaps & guessing at running lanes. Except at Baltimore, where we stayed at home & never roamed. clearly, We don't have Woods D-front talent upfront as the 9'ers.. but if ya ever watched Luke Kuechly & Thomas Davis stay clean to make most their teams tackles getting to a SB..Nor did the Panthers... yep, 2 very good LB'ers that we don't have either...but 1) keeping them clean was key.. 2) LB's that can run & able to get off blocks.. both maybe our answers to stopping the run .. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

This pretty much sums up what they were looking at for him. A Joe S replacement is a real stretch.

......SI...Goodson, who will be 27 this season, is more of a downhill, thumping linebacker that can take on and shed blocks to get to the ball carrier. He tested really well as an athlete for the position coming out of Clemson, but doesn't offer much in pass coverage.......

Yea, and straight up LB thumpers are a dying breed, unless you can always guess when a team is going to run the ball. 

3 hours ago, Orion said:

His numbers (tackles) don't scream Pro Bowl that's for sure.

He was playing as a 3-4 OLB most of the time... not the position to post a ton of tackles...

The season he spent as a 4-3 Mike was much more productive.

He's our starting MLB in 2020... BOOK IT!

Damn... been forever since I booked anything.... felt kinda good. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

a downhill, thumping linebacker..

I love reading that...

Step 1... stop the run.

I love the sound of a thumping linebacker in the morning. It sounds like.... victory.

In obvious pass situations he runs to the sideline... lots of teams do this.