THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign safety Karl Joseph

darren15

According to Pro Football Focus, Joseph was ranked as the 49th-best available free agent and one of the top safeties on the market. Take a look at what PFF had to say about Joseph entering free agency:

A player who has always earned consistently solid grades, Karl Joseph just hasn’t made enough splash plays in his time in the NFL to convince his own team to buy-in long-term or even keep his starting spot secure. Joseph has just four interceptions in four seasons with the Raiders and has forced just a single fumble, but he has hit double-digit defensive stops every season and shown the ability to be a solid force on defense. Joseph has talent, particularly in a coverage scheme that plays with split safeties, and he will likely be available for a bargain fee given how his Raiders tenure panned out

.https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/15/raiders-ss-karl-joseph-could-prove-to-be-a-steal-in-free-agency/

Undersized, former 1st-round, box Safety, who has been writing checks his body couldn't cash, gets a "show us what ya got," one-year deal.

Works for me...

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Great pickup.  I wanted the Browns to take him when he was coming out If college but he went earlier than expected.

1 year deal (maybe a bridge guy) to groom or ease the pain of rookie taking over.  I expect a safety really early in this draft. 

A ton of safeties in this draft. Should not have to be a really high pick.

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-Safeties-2020-NFL-Draft.asp

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

A ton of safeties in this draft. Should not have to be a really high pick.

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-Safeties-2020-NFL-Draft.asp

It's crazy. and complicated.

I really like Kyle Dugger in the second round. I have no idea about Delpit's fluctuating value in lists.

He's rated #4 in this list. and Tiam's Jeremy Chinn is right up in the top ten, too.

Just one list. But my 2nd round draft pick Dugger is hanging in there, so there's that.

uparrow_hp.gif +6
photo of 2020 NFL Draft prospect MacXav.jpg
Xavier McKinney
Alabama
6'0"
JR
BIO
uparrow_hp.gif +1
photo of 2020 NFL Draft prospect WinfieldAntoine.jpg
Antoine Winfield Jr.
Minnesota
5'9"
RSO
BIO
uparrow_hp.gif +2
photo of 2020 NFL Draft prospect Delpit.jpg
Grant Delpit
LSU
6'2"
JR
BIO
uparrow_hp.gif +3
photo of 2020 NFL Draft prospect DuggerKyle.jpg
Kyle Dugger
Lenoir-Rhyne
6'1"
SR
BIO
uparrow_hp.gif +3
photo of 2020 NFL Draft prospect DavisAshtyn.jpg
Ashtyn Davis
California
6'1"
RSR
BIO
downarrow_hp.gif -19
photo of 2020 NFL Draft prospect ChinnJeremy.jpg
Jeremy Chinn
S. Illinois
6'3"
SR
BIO

My problem is not having time to go back and watch the 2017 and 2018 Denver defense. I have no idea how we'll handle safety alignment, depth and rotation.  

So I'm kind of flying blind as to who the Browns should either pursue or draft at the moment.  

My gut reaction is that we'll see something familiar to what Minnesota does.  Where they don't have a traditional strong v free or left vs right safety.  They'll align based off the ball hash. So likely Karl Joseph (god willing, healthy) will be your boundary safety and TBD will be your field safety.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

My gut reaction is that we'll see something familiar to what Minnesota does.  Where they don't have a traditional strong v free or left vs right safety.  They'll align based off the ball hash. So likely Karl Joseph (god willing, healthy) will be your boundary safety and TBD will be your field safety.

Interesting article, since I don't know that much a difference about field vs boundary safety play, lol, but

Joseph seems to be able to switch roles on no-huddle drills. I think.

https://theozone.net/2018/05/field-boundary-different-interchangeable/

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

They'll align based off the ball hash. So likely Karl Joseph (god willing, healthy) will be your boundary safety and TBD will be your field safety.

I still like Austyn Davis (CAL). I know you like Chin, but is he a field safety kinda guy?

Both should be there come our 2nd round pick.

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

It's crazy. and complicated.

I really like Kyle Dugger in the second round. I have no idea about Delpit's fluctuating value in lists.

He's rated #4 in this list. and Tiam's Jeremy Chinn is right up in the top ten, too.

Just one list. But my 2nd round draft pick Dugger is hanging in there, so there's that.

uparrow_hp.gif +6
photo of 2020 NFL Draft prospect MacXav.jpg
Xavier McKinney
Alabama
6'0"
JR
BIO
uparrow_hp.gif +1
photo of 2020 NFL Draft prospect WinfieldAntoine.jpg
Antoine Winfield Jr.
Minnesota
5'9"
RSO
BIO
uparrow_hp.gif +2
photo of 2020 NFL Draft prospect Delpit.jpg
Grant Delpit
LSU
6'2"
JR
BIO
uparrow_hp.gif +3
photo of 2020 NFL Draft prospect DuggerKyle.jpg
Kyle Dugger
Lenoir-Rhyne
6'1"
SR
BIO
uparrow_hp.gif +3
photo of 2020 NFL Draft prospect DavisAshtyn.jpg
Ashtyn Davis
California
6'1"
RSR
BIO
downarrow_hp.gif -19
photo of 2020 NFL Draft prospect ChinnJeremy.jpg
Jeremy Chinn
S. Illinois
6'3"
SR
BIO

These guys all seem bit  6'1...6'3.....except Winfield, who I would like.   Is he too short at 5'9?

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

These guys all seem bit  6'1...6'3.....except Winfield, who I would like.   Is he too short at 5'9?

Ask Bob Sanders.

9 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Interesting article, since I don't know that much a difference about field vs boundary safety play, lol, but

Joseph seems to be able to switch roles on no-huddle drills. I think.

https://theozone.net/2018/05/field-boundary-different-interchangeable/

That's the idea in boundary vs field - to an extent.  Field safety has more ground and usually more route combinations to diagnose on his side of the field.   Teams that play for space 90% of the time put their strength to the field (wide) side.   The idea behind the quarters system was to begin combating the 3 and 4 fast threat sets that were the norm throughout college ball.  You have more space to cover, more receivers to cover, so you need athletes unlike the traditional "strong" safety.  Somebody who can support run, but can cover first and foremost which allows defenses to keep a box count that limits the interior runs.     Though your boundary safety may typically be your "bigger" body.    I.E.  Harrison Smith,  Derwin James, etc etc.  They can cover, but they can come up and hit you.   And having them to the boundary makes things easier in coverage because there is less field for receivers and less room for patterns to develop.

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I still like Austyn Davis (CAL). I know you like Chin, but is he a field safety kinda guy?

Both should be there come our 2nd round pick.

Haven't watched a damn second of Davis yet I'm afraid.   But will as soon as I can.       As for Chinn...  maybe eventually?  I noted he would be best right now as your big nickel, sub LB and yes, boundary safety.  His best attributes at the moment, especially given his size, are his man coverage ability and closing on the ball.   Like I said, I still have to give @calfoxwc credit because he is right, Dugger is a hell of an athlete as well.   But for the moment I like Chinn's feet and hand usage are a good deal better.    Both have very high ceilings, but I often like making my safe picks based on the comparative lows of their respective floors.  At worst I think Chinn is will be an average player who would be effective against bigger receivers because of his superior lateral movement and hip fluidity.  Dugger might just be the next Taylor Mays on his version of the low end.

I'll get back to you about Davis though this weekend.  

• Upvote 1

I'll look forward to it...

Try as I do, I just can't get a feel for Safety play evaluation beyond the more universal stuff like play diagnosis and tackling and the 2ndary hip flip thing.

And it never helps that DBs... and especially field Safeties... tend to disappear from the screen during most pass plays.

Austyn seems to play a fair amount of single-high in a fairly amorphous Cal Defense.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I'll look forward to it...

Try as I do, I just can't get a feel for Safety play evaluation beyond the more universal stuff like play diagnosis and tackling and the 2ndary hip flip thing.

And it never helps that DBs... and especially field Safeties... tend to disappear from the screen during most pass plays.

Austyn seems to play a fair amount of single-high in a fairly amorphous Cal Defense.

I do all that I can to find all 22 or coaches cam views.  Even if I have to comb through whole games.

Watching a bit of the game vs Ole miss.  Almost exclusively single high and playing from the boundary hash so far.    Seems like they love a bit of cover 3.

• 3 weeks later...

Karl's a Dawg! 

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2020 at 10:46 PM, Tour2ma said:

Undersized, former 1st-round, box Safety, who has been writing checks his body couldn't cash, gets a "show us what ya got," one-year deal.

Works for me...

Yea, it's fine. Small commitment with some decent potential upside. Those little guys who play in the box do get worn out relatively quickly. Remember Bob Sanders for the Colts? Good player, but spent after 4 seasons. Just too small to take those collisions.