THE BROWNS BOARD

Quarterback Carousel

The Gipper

Lets summarize  the comings and goings of the QBs in the NFL during this Free Agency season:

A. Tannehill signs/stays in Titland

B. Dak Prescott  Franchise Tagged/staying in Dallas

C.  Drew Brees signs/stays in New Orleans

D. Brady....moves from  NE to Tampa Bay

E. Phillip Rivers....moves from Chargers to Colts

F. Case Keenum....moves from Washington to Browns

G. Tayshom Hill.....stays in New Orleans

H. Marcus Mariota.....moves from Tenn. to Raiders

I.  Teddy Twatwater....moving from Saints to   Panthers

J.  Cam Newton.....to be traded.  Destination:    Unknown......could be released if no trade can be made

K.  Jameis Winston....FA   Destination:  Unknown

L. Andy Dalton.....almost sure to be released....Destination:  Unknown.

M.  Nick Foles....rumors about Jags wanting to trade him:   To be Determined. 

UPdated:   Determined:   Foles traded to Bears.

So....What teams are currently in the market for a QB:

1.  LA  Chargers.   Seemed like a natural spot for Brady....that circus left town

2. New England.   Now without an experiences starter.    Some say that they may trade for Brisset to come back. (skeptical)

3. Miami.  though they have both  Fitzpatrick and  Rosen. 

4. Bengals.  Likely to draft Burrows  (hoorta gets my bottle of cheap rot gut wine if they do ;)

5. Denver.   Or are they locked in on Lock? 

6. Chicago.  Rumors are the Bears want someone to push...or replace Trubisky

Any ideas on who should now match up where among the QBs and teams looking for love?   

Fuck ... I literally just lost a couple hours of work digging into this whole mess.

I blame Gipper...

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Dalton to the Patriots makes a lot of sense now. Chargers will draft best qb available.

OTC estimates Dalton's price to be $15.5mm/yr. It'd be tough for Pats to fit that price under their cap.

Brissett is equally unaffordable at present as he carries a $21+mm cap hit with him, but if Indy either eats the dead money ( $12.5mm which Indy can afford to eat) or gives Pats permission to negotiate a new deal in advance of a trade, then I still think he's the guy.

Why? A hunch...

I think Bill wants to go Ravens style. No team has given him more fits as well as all the other teams that the Pats struggled against recently. And so that means a running QB.

Of the Vets out there that are obtainable Brissett is the best running QB.

In the draft... the best running QB prospect is Jalen Hurts. The Pats have the 23rd overall pick, which should be more than high enough to nab Jalen. Depending on how the draft unfolds, Bill might even be able to trade down in the 1st and still get his guy... and we all know how Bill loves to trade down. Especially since that 1st round pick is it until Round 3.

New England Patriots

Record: 12-4 (.469)
Total picks: 12.

» Round 1: No. 23 overall
» Round 3: Nos. 87, 98, 100
» Round 4: No. 125 (from Bears)
» Round 6: Nos. 195 (from Broncos), 204 (from Texans), 212, 213
» Round 7: Nos. 230 (from Falcons), 235 (from Eagles), 241 (from Seahawks)

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

J.  Cam Newton.....to be traded.  Destination:    Unknown......could be released if no trade can be made

K.  Jameis Winston....FA   Destination:  Unknown

L. Andy Dalton.....almost sure to be released....Destination:  Unknown.

M.  Nick Foles....rumors about Jags wanting to trade him:   To be Determined. 

I can't see anyone trading for Cam. And he's pretty expensive to keep, but a pretty cheap cut. Once released I still do not see anyone looking to him to be their starter in 2020. He could well have to sit out the year and prove he is healthy for 2021.

Winston? I would not hand him the keys to my team and I'm not sure I want him in my QB room with the kid I'm developing. I think he sits by the phone for a long time waiting for a team with sudden injury issues and no better options than to call him.

Dalton... I can see him in Chicago. They do have the cap room. He can beat out Trubs and take the team places Trubs can't. And at 32 he can do it for more than one year. The Bears window isn't going to stay open forever, and with no 1st round pick they do not have the ammo to go QB hunting this draft.

Foles: He has an $85mm balance left on the final three-years of his contract... $85mm! And nearly $34mm of that is dead money. The Jags are in a word... fucked. No one is going to take on that obligation for a guy who has shown a couple times that he can't be "the guy". That he can only be the guy that steps in for "the guy". Then can play like he should have been "the guy" all along... except he never was... and never will be. Did I mention JAX is fucked?

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

1.  LA  Chargers.   Seemed like a natural spot for Brady....that circus left town

2. New England.   Now without an experiences starter.    Some say that they may trade for Brisset to come back. (skeptical)

4. Bengals.  Likely to draft Burrows  (hoorta gets my bottle of cheap rot gut wine if they do ;)

First... You forgot Washington. Still a lot of questions about Rivera rolling with Haskins.

I'll hit the teams in draft order...

- Bengals (1.01) are drafting Burrows... only sure thing in my entire effort here. So go wine shopping for hoorta before shelter in place comes to Ohio.

- Washington (1.02) should draft Tua at 32 overall assuming he is medically cleared. Then they can field calls for Haskins, who would not be let go of cheap. He would start in 2020 while Tua red-shirts on the PUP list. If Haskins flourishes.... great. In 2021 the keys get handed to one of them and I auction the other off to the highest bidder.

- Miami (1.05)/LAC (1.06)... sitting at Picks 5 and 6 respectively... throw up when Tua's name is called and then rush to call Detroit for the #3 overall for which the winner ridiculously overpays to draft Herbert... my highest ranking Bust prospect of 2020. The loser gets to draft Jordan Love where they sit... meanwhile NYG can't believe Young just fell into their lap at #4 and Detroit wants to know if anyone wants the #5 they now own due to the fact that Miami had a helluva lot more ammo than LAC did to get the trade up deal done.

- Denver (1.15)... as much as I love laughing at Elway's QB picks I don't think I'll get to this year. Then again maybe he'll trade for Cam... or sign Winston... or both.:)

- Pats (1.23)... Hurts (see above post)... no one is going to replace Brady so don't try. Break the mold and remake the team to be a ground and pound monster.

- Chicago (no 1st round pick)... I'm sticking with my Dalton call...

There is one other wild card team out there... LVR. I'm not sure Gruden is cool riding with Derek Carr into 2020. He and Mayock have picks 1.12 and 1.19 to get in the mix for pick 1.05. Maybe they call the Lions...

And one more QB to contemplate... Josh Rosen. Certainly not needed in Miami with Fitz there to tutor Herbert, but at a tad over $5mm total for the two years left on his contract... almost all of which is dead money... he's a cheap keep. He's also a cheap trade target... and Miami's ask should be reasonable. Tampa Bay seems reasonable... Ariens knows him... can mature him under Brady's example. Better circumstances than he's been in to date.

I agree with Tour on Denver's QB. They finally have their franchise QB in Lock and they know it. But Shurmer will still screw up the O.😂 Broncos are fucked now. I see a Brownsian season coming for them with Shurmer as OC. 6-7 wins tops.

• Upvote 1

This is the one that will get the most attention regardless of production:

........Tom Brady is set to join the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after spending 20 years with the New England Patriots, reportedly agreeing in principle to a deal with the NFC South team.

The NFL Network reported Tuesday night that Brady and the Buccaneers have reached “an agreement in principle.” According to the NFL Network and ESPN, the deal is worth around $30 million........

And it seems strange that the often injured Cam Newton is out there, the risk of having a hard running quarterback (BAL in a few years?).

28 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I agree with Tour on Denver's QB. They finally have their franchise QB in Lock and they know it. But Shurmer will still screw up the O.😂 Broncos are fucked now. I see a Brownsian season coming for them with Shurmer as OC. 6-7 wins tops.

i did not know weather to laugh or cry... but a spot on post champ!

Part of me wants Jameis Winston to go to NE, just for the drama. I think Big Bill is secretly thinking, watch I will take this cat who nobody wanted and turn him into a magician! My hunch is that Carolina will get SOMETHING for Cam. I think both NE and Chicago make the most sense. When he is healthy he is pretty good, that's a big IF but at the same time, $19 million for a starting qb is nothing. I think it will be a pick on Day 3 of the draft. Cam in NE also helps the Stidham learning curve. It's a one year deal and if he gets hurt you have a real opportunity to see what you have. They really think Stidham can develop into something, which is why I don't think NE is going to panic. 

I don't think Brissett is going back to NE. I actually hate the deal for the Colts with Rivers. Did they watch game tape? he blew more games by himself than any other qb in the league. I would have much rather have had Cam or Winston. 

Does LAC take a chance on Winston?..a younger version of Rivers? Do they rather take their chances in the draft with a guy like Herbert or Love or Tua if he falls (I still stand by my thoughts that I wouldn't draft him because of his medical and I think he is overrated...he'll have a few good years but than it's going to bust out). 

Washington is NOT going to draft Tua! Put a nail in that coffin. Haskins began to show promise at the end of the year. Plus, Chase Young is a generational talent. he's the best player in this draft and if you are a GM who takes a qb who has MAJOR medical concerns over that player, then you deserve to not hold a job. Rivera is a defensive guy...no chance he passes on Young. 

• Upvote 1

First... You forgot Washington. Still a lot of questions about Rivera rolling with Haskins.

I personally think it would not be a good move for them to move on from Haskins at this point.  First, because to do so means they will have wasted a top 15 draft pick.  Second, I don't think anyone knows really what Haskins can do at this point.  It is not like he is Jameis Winston going into his 5th year.  

I guess the only reason for doing so would be for Rivera to say "I want my guy".

But, I guess if Rivera wants "his guy" ...his guy  Cam Newton can be had.   Maybe they pick up Cam and have Haskins sit and learn from him....though, Cam's biggest asset a lot of times has been his legs.  That will never be Haskins situation....so I am not sure how much he could learn there.  Maybe it is CAM  who needs to learn better how to be a pocket passer since injuries ...and age, have deprived him of that running ability.  Maybe the two of them can learn together.

Washington DOES need another QB:   Keenum come to the Browns.   Colt McCoy a FA  (though certainly they could re-sign him)

Still some rumblings about Alex Smith coming back, but no one seems to know exactly where he is in his rehab. So timing of any potential return isn't known. As of now he's still with WSH.

One interesting Pats speculation I came across was Alex to NE... argued that NE could even afford to take the risk of him never coming back, which seemed odd to me coming from a Pat beat writer.

6 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

Washington is NOT going to draft Tua! Put a nail in that coffin. Haskins began to show promise at the end of the year. Plus, Chase Young is a generational talent. he's the best player in this draft and if you are a GM who takes a qb who has MAJOR medical concerns over that player, then you deserve to not hold a job. Rivera is a defensive guy...no chance he passes on Young. 

The medical staffs of all teams examine all players of interest. It's their job to either medically clear or DQ every player. If cleared, then a good GM simply takes their verdict and gives medical no weight. It's simply Pass/Fail. That's straight from the lips of HOF GM, Bill Polian.

WSH likely won't take Tua, but if I ran their org... I would. Haskins did not suck in his last two games... that is true, but in the last game at home vs. NYG he threw all of 15 passes in an Offense that put up 35 points. I would not bet my job on a two-game audition. Not when I can land a solid alternative whose cost I believe I can recoup in a year's time

Bottom line... Tua at #2 is strictly my take... not a prediction of what WSH will do. Just one piece of an interesting exercise I stayed up way too late completing... twice...

As for Young.... his disappearance in the stretch run last season concerns me. As the competition level rose, his contribution shrank. I know he saw double and triple teams, but not every play. Maybe he is generational, but he does not play the one position of the football field that you absolutely have to maximize to win in this league... the one position that most significantly determines wins and losses.

A PFF analysis... and PFF absolutely loves Young... showed that WSH would be better off trading down than taking Young at #2. While it was close if the trade only netted them an additional 2nd, it was not close if the pick added was an additional 2020 1st... which MIA and LVR have to offer.

That said... I did not get Rivers to Indy either. Not sure what their plan is for Brissett now, but it's hardest for me to see him staying a Colt.

I just have this feeling that Tua may not actually be any better than Greg McElroy or AJ McCarron were coming out of Alabama. But, who knows.

But even if you think he is the next best thing to Richard Todd coming out of Bama, another problem is, right now, it seems that teams are not going to be able to do physical exams.....so the big question marks on him physically may continue to be unanswered.   For which I could see him dropping.  just speculation.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I just have this feeling that Tua may not actually be any better than Greg McElroy or AJ McCarron were coming out of Alabama. But, who knows.

But even if you think he is the next best thing to Richard Todd coming out of Bama, another problem is, right now, it seems that teams are not going to be able to do physical exams.....so the big question marks on him physically may continue to be unanswered.   For which I could see him dropping.  just speculation.

Tua was good enough to send Hurts packing to OU. So he is good enough if fully recovered.

Had Tua stayed healthy... or at least been injured less severely... it'd be a really interesting draft discussion.

Still have to give the nod to Joe, but looking back at some Tua tape reminded me of just how good he is.

He ain't no McCarron... and I liked McCarron.

Holy restructuring, Batman!

JAX pulled off a miracle... Bears? Dunno what they're thinking...

Love this tweet...

The #Jaguars clear $3.375M of cap space by trading Nick Foles to the #Bears. But also clear $21M of soon to be guaranteed cash. It's incredible that they got out of this contract without having to send a draft pick along with it.— Spotrac (@spotrac) March 18, 2020

lol... da Bears shoulda called Sashi...

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Holy restructuring, Batman!

JAX pulled off a miracle... Bears? Dunno what they're thinking...

Love this tweet...

lol... da Bears shoulda called Sashi...

More like they called former Bear Mike (Run Rickie, Run) Ditka. 😜

So....What teams are currently in the market for a QB:

But now, is it fair to say that the Jags now replace Chicago on this list.....or are they all in     on Gardner Minshew?

And are some of you are saying that Denver is in fact all in on Drew Lock?

Still, with the Bangles going for Burrow, that leaves 3 teams needing a QB....though, as noted, Miami has 2 of them.  

Chargers in particular have made no move.  Unless you think they are all in on Tyrod Taylor.

I think LAC is fine with riding TT for a season while the QB they draft learns for a year.

Sound familiar?

Works for any of the 3 QBs they'll have a shot at in this Draft class.

Jags...

Minshew is popular enough with the fans that the Jags can ride him for better part of another season before the novelty wears off if he faceplants. Buys the franchise time...

Josh Dobbs is the backup as of now.

By a miracle they actually have a little room to sign a 2nd tier QB. Trevor Siemian is one name that caught my eye. Played decent ball in his first starting season in Denver, but couldn't replicate it... so could be he's just another backup ala Foles who can perform if needed for short runs.

And they'll draft a QB... just looked and they have two 1sts as well... 1.09 and 1.20. They got the latter from the Rams in the Ramsey trade. So they can compete for one of the top four QBs in the draft not named Burrows, if they choose to do so. Otherwise they can nab a prospect on Day 2.

48 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Flacco Waived

So Lock's a lock...

Flacco... hmmmm.... won a SB  being asked by RayRay and his D to do little but hand the ball off and not fuck up.

Guy named Bill B might be interested in that kind of capability in the short-term ... even might see him as Testaverde V2.0.

Still like Hurts and my Raven-copy hypothesis better, but a leashed Flacco just means the QB is not part of the running attack. Then can go WildDawg with the rookie and work him gradually to be the full-time starter.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I think LAC is fine with riding TT for a season while the QB they draft learns for a year.

Sound familiar?

Works for any of the 3 QBs they'll have a shot at in this Draft class.

Or....are they going to be Tanking for Trevor?

I don't really think so....their defense should be too good for that. 

But they have lost Rivers, and are losing Gordon.    They seem light on offensive skill players.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Jags...

Minshew is popular enough with the fans that the Jags can ride him for better part of another season before the novelty wears off if he faceplants. Buys the franchise time...

Josh Dobbs is the backup as of now.

By a miracle they actually have a little room to sign a 2nd tier QB. Trevor Siemian is one name that caught my eye. Played decent ball in his first starting season in Denver, but couldn't replicate it... so could be he's just another backup ala Foles who can perform if needed for short runs.

And they'll draft a QB... just looked and they have two 1sts as well... 1.09 and 1.20. They got the latter from the Rams in the Ramsey trade. So they can compete for one of the top four QBs in the draft not named Burrows, if they choose to do so. Otherwise they can nab a prospect on Day 2.

Now..they could be in the Tank for Trevor mode.