THE BROWNS BOARD

Just got put under quarantine

jbluhm86

On 3/17/2020 at 7:00 PM, hoorta said:

Send out Door Dash and have them get you some Fever Tree tonic water and gin. Quinine is one of the original anti malarial drugs. Now watch there be a run on the stuff. Stay safe.  I may run out and buy a dozen extra bottles, I already have 4 in the 'fridge.  PS- as of an hour ago, our local liquor store is well stocked- though there was a big run Sunday afternoon when Dewine said he was shutting down the bars. 

Plaquenil is a drug my mother takes for her RA all the time for the last 8 years. It's considered an essential medicine by the WHO so I doubt there's any massive shortage of it. She's frantic now though that she might not be able to get it. I'm just keeping it in the bank that I have access to some if I come down with it. 

18 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Biology major, with a minor in analytical chemistry.

So far, all I've gotten out of it is $70k in student loan debt and a new phobia of swimming in ponds and lakes.

I also suck at talking to women, surprisingly.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself LOLOLOLOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar1QaxVxhh4

On 3/20/2020 at 5:18 PM, Tour2ma said:

Here's hoping you're released Monday, jb...

My doctor cleared me to go back to work Monday, but it's looking like my job might not accept it. Seeking clarification from both HR and my doctor Monday.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good news. I was cleared by both my doctor and HR to come back to work, my first night back is tonight. The company I work for produces raw material for the aerospace industry, so my company was deemed essential and i'll have a job for the immediate future, so i'll be working as long as I can.

On a more somber note, a fellow lab worker of mine fell ill last Friday and has been under voluntary quarantine since then. Here's hoping its not COVID-19.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

8 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Good news. I was cleared by both my doctor and HR to come back to work, my first night back is tonight. The company I work for produces raw material for the aerospace industry, so my company was deemed essential and i'll have a job for the immediate future, so i'll be working as long as I can.

On a more somber note, a fellow lab worker of mine fell ill last Friday and has been under voluntary quarantine since then. Here's hoping its not COVID-19.

Congrats J

Welcome to the "essential" life

On 3/23/2020 at 10:38 PM, jbluhm86 said:

I was just looking back at this to see how you have been doing. It must have been a relief to both you and your parents. Glad you are "back".👍🤗

20 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I was just looking back at this to see how you have been doing. It must have been a relief to both you and your parents. Glad you are "back".👍🤗

On my front, i'm doing good. Put in 60 hours at work this week.

Parents aren't as lucky. Mom's knee-replacement surgery has turned south, and the ortho just dropped the bad news on her that the leg has to go. She'll be having the procedure done in a few weeks. Worst part is, she'll be there alone; quarantine procedures at the hospital don't allow anyone in the hospital unless the patient is dying.

3 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

On my front, i'm doing good. Put in 60 hours at work this week.

Parents aren't as lucky. Mom's knee-replacement surgery has turned south, and the ortho just dropped the bad news on her that the leg has to go. She'll be having the procedure done in a few weeks. Worst part is, she'll be there alone; quarantine procedures at the hospital don't allow anyone in the hospital unless the patient is dying.

Leg has to be amputated?  That really sucks.  Where did she get the knee replacement?

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Leg has to be amputated?  That really sucks.  Where did she get the knee replacement?

Original knee replacement was done two years ago. Original surgeon really botched the surgery; mom went through 3 different operations in the span of a week. Her original ortho  has since stopped his practice, although not due to my mom's surgery. Knee ended up developing staph infection and she had to have the knee removed and replaced with a spacer for almost a year while she was on intensive antibiotics and in a nursing home from April to Oct of last year. Her second ortho, who is a more skilled surgeon in his field (he was described as the surgeon that other surgeons send their more difficult cases to) put a knee in back in December and all seemed ok. However, the joint ended up dislocating late last month, which the doctor said could happen, so Mom went in earlier this week to get it corrected. During the surgery, the doctor noticed that her hip had somehow fractured inside the bone and immediately stopped surgery. He told my mom she had two options at this point. Option 1 would include extending the post of her knee replacement further up her hip bone and securing it with a metal plate. However, if this joint failed or the bone broke any further, she wouldn't have enough bone left to do another replacement and he'd have no choice but to amputate all the way up to her groin, which would make a prosthetic impossible. Option 2 would still consist of an amputation above the knee, but she'd be able to be fitted for a prosthetic leg and would eventually be able to walk again after therapy and rehabilitation. She's decided to go with the second option, since it gives her the best chance at having a better quality of life.

4 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Original knee replacement was done two years ago. Original surgeon really botched the surgery; mom went through 3 different operations in the span of a week. Her original ortho  has since stopped his practice, although not due to my mom's surgery. Knee ended up developing staph infection and she had to have the knee removed and replaced with a spacer for almost a year while she was on intensive antibiotics and in a nursing home from April to Oct of last year. Her second ortho, who is a more skilled surgeon in his field (he was described as the surgeon that other surgeons send their more difficult cases to) put a knee in back in December and all seemed ok. However, the joint ended up dislocating late last month, which the doctor said could happen, so Mom went in earlier this week to get it corrected. During the surgery, the doctor noticed that her hip had somehow fractured inside the bone and immediately stopped surgery. He told my mom she had two options at this point. Option 1 would include extending the post of her knee replacement further up her hip bone and securing it with a metal plate. However, if this joint failed or the bone broke any further, she wouldn't have enough bone left to do another replacement and he'd have no choice but to amputate all the way up to her groin, which would make a prosthetic impossible. Option 2 would still consist of an amputation above the knee, but she'd be able to be fitted for a prosthetic leg and would eventually be able to walk again after therapy and rehabilitation. She's decided to go with the second option, since it gives her the best chance at having a better quality of life.

oh, Jblu - it's tragic that would happen. Remember Jerry Sherk and his close call with staph? I think it was Sherk...and was just a cut on his leg.

I have an artificial knee for ...three years. I went to the very best knee replacement expert I could find. He's done thousands by the time he got to mine - and said mine was the second worst he'd ever seen. I'm so sorry to hear that, Jblu.

That hurts that that surgeon failed her.

I am very sorry to hear this about your mother Jblu. My sister is in a similar situation now. She told me her knee replacement is currently failing and if it does she will have to have her leg amputated. 

Also sad. about the timing of this for your mother and your family. My father in law was having some heart problems recently and spent a week in the hospital with no visitors allowed  because of the coronavirus. 

I never understood myself with all the sanitary precautions in a surgery room why there is such a problem with staph infections? 

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I am very sorry to hear this about your mother Jblu. My sister is in a similar situation now. She told me her knee replacement is currently failing and if it does she will have to have her leg amputated. 

Also sad. about the timing of this for your mother and your family. My father in law was having some heart problems recently and spent a week in the hospital with no visitors allowed  because of the coronavirus. 

I never understood myself with all the sanitary precautions in a surgery room why there is such a problem with staph infections? 

Because a lot of nurses and doctors don't (or didn't) follow infectious disease protocol.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

That's very true DH. I don't think many people actually do.

WSS

When I worked at the Cleveland VAMC we used to have weekly training on it, how long to wash your hands and the proper way (then it was at least 90 seconds),  proper mask wearing, patient moving, etc.   You would expect medical personnel to do it, but many don't, maybe because of the amount of patients they see.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

When I worked at the Cleveland VAMC we used to have weekly training on it, how long to wash your hands and the proper way (then it was at least 90 seconds),  proper mask wearing, patient moving, etc.   You would expect medical personnel to do it, but many don't, maybe because of the amount of patients they see.

No doubt. And we all know the guidelines it depends how seriously every American takes them. I go to the store every couple of days I pick up items and put them back on the Shelf and sometimes catch myself scratching my forehead or something . I  use the hand wipes at the entrance hope the store on the way in and the way out. But still if there's a germ out there with your name on it...

WSS

35 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

No doubt. And we all know the guidelines it depends how seriously every American takes them. I go to the store every couple of days I pick up items and put them back on the Shelf and sometimes catch myself scratching my forehead or something . I  use the hand wipes at the entrance hope the store on the way in and the way out. But still if there's a germ out there with your name on it...

WSS

There likely were lots of germs with my name on it before this virus hit. I used to tease my "germophobe" friends but now I see they were just ahead of the curve. I have made a lifestyle change that will last after the pandemic such as more hand washing, hand sanitizing and keeping my hands from my face. 

I was never one of those guys who left the restroom without washing their hands but I never gave much thought when I shook hands with people that perhaps they were ones who didn't? I think about those things more now.

Same way with public handrails and door knobs etc...places where a lot of people are likely to have touched them I think about that now where before I didn't. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

There likely were lots of germs with my name on it before this virus hit. I used to tease my "germophobe" friends but now I see they were just ahead of the curve. I have made a lifestyle change that will last after the pandemic such as more hand washing, hand sanitizing and keeping my hands from my face. 

I was never one of those guys who left the restroom without washing their hands but I never gave much thought when I shook hands with people that perhaps they were ones who didn't? I think about those things more now.

I wash my hands when I leave the bathroom but honestly I usually open the door with my bare hands, probably more chance of germs on the door than on our dicks.

Lately I've been using my shirt sleeve or a paper towel. C'est la vie.

WSS

4 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I wash my hands when I leave the bathroom but honestly I usually open the door with my bare hands, probably more chance of germs on the door than on our dicks.

Lately I've been using my shirt sleeve or a paper towel. C'est la vie.

WSS

I watch that now too with public doors and hand rails but it is a habit I am learning. I missed it the other day when I put gas in the car and my wife gave me some hand sanitizer when I got in the car reminding me there are lots of people who handle the gas hose.

25 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

One of the reasons I pray over my food...

I think all of us have seen this at times. yeech. We were at a restaurant once and the server's hands smelled so unbelievably bad it was nauseating. I probably should have just been honest and told her but instead I made some kind of excuse we had to leave and paid for the drinks and left. 

Damn, JB... great news followed by unimaginably bad news.

The latter did not have to be.

Hope you know a goof lawyer. Shouldn't be your 1st, 2nd or 3rd thought, but also should not be out of your thoughts.