THE BROWNS BOARD

Just got put under quarantine

jbluhm86

Hate to hear that, Jblu. Stay safe, folks. I know it is pretty pedestrian for younger people but everyone knows older folks are taking it hard.

My neighbors are in their 80s and I have had to be the one to go out and get them supplies. I drop it off at their back door. They Lysol stuff down and take it in. Not fool proof but Sharon and Larry get to eat and wipe their asses like human beings.

• Upvote 2

On 3/18/2020 at 7:08 AM, Westside Steve said:

That sucks my friend. Especially sucks that if they actually thought you might have a disease that was only seriously dangerous to older people they would send you home to Mom and Dad's house. But look at the bright side, you have a smartphone and you have us.

😷🤗

WSS

That's one of the  problems Steve. Kids are out of school  and  the grandparents are  taking  care of them. Assuming  mom & dad haven't been  kicked out of  their  jobs.

19 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Much the same as yesterday. Haven't gotten much better, but haven't gotten worse either. Tylenol seem to be keeping the fever manageable, and I've been taking Mucinex to keep my sinuses and lungs clear. 

Just found out today that Mom needs corrective surgery on her knee. Mom had a knee surgery go bad and got infected early last year, and has been in/out of hospital/nursing home and bedridden for the majority of last year; she's been home since Oct. As a consequence of her infection and recovery, she was on heavy duty antibiotics for many months, and her immune system isn't 100%. Orthopedic surgeon said this upcoming surgery is minor and relatively common, but with her compromised immune system, I'm staying far away from her and Dad (primary caregiver) to reduce the risk of her getting sick. Pretty bummed that I can't be at her surgery, but it is what it is.

Frustrating part is I don't know if this is the real coronavirus or simply bad seasonal allergies, etc, because there's not enough tests for everyone, so I have to stay away from family and friends as a precaution.

Anyway, OTC meds and rest seem to be helping at the moment and, knock on wood, this doesn't feel any different from a bad cold or flu, so I'll be tip-top Magoo here in a few days, hopefully.

Thanks for the well wishes; be sure to take common sense cleanliness measures to keep yourselves and loved ones safe.

FWIW, if you didn't know. Get a doctor's 'scrip and you can head to the UD Arena to get tested,  if you want to.  

51 minutes ago, hoorta said:

FWIW, if you didn't know. Get a doctor's 'scrip and you can head to the UD Arena to get tested,  if you want to.  

I'm definitely looking into this. Just got off the phone with my primary doctor after being on the line for 45 min, said they'd get back with me.

Hopefully, I can get this done pretty quick and test negative, so I can get back to work.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Anyway, OTC meds and rest seem to be helping at the moment and, knock on wood, this doesn't feel any different from a bad cold or flu, so I'll be tip-top Magoo here in a few days, hopefully.

Not sure what the official post recovery guidelines are, but I do not believe that feeling better post-fever means you are no longer infectious.

Sorry to read about your Mom.

As a double ... well, I guess now triple... hip replacement patient the one thing Doctors do is put the fear of post op infections into all joint replacement patients. I don't visit the Dentist now, even for a simple cleaning, without taking a mega-dose of antibiotics an hour before my appointment.

17 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

No... we should still do everything we normally do to get a drug approved but make that process the highest priority.

This would fall under the label change protocols which are mush faster than new drug timelines. Also helps that the drug is already approved for a certain kind of arthritis in the US. No idea of how many folks this is, but since we don't exactly treat a lot of Malaria cases stateside, it's got to be more.

So testing would be of the double-blind nature for efficacy.

The extra good news is that the data base of users for arthritis could be tapped for study of the impact of ovid-19 on them.

That said... i share your concern about teh amount of the noise being made about "cutting red tape" in a rush to bring some of the new drug and vaccines to bear.

11 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Sure. Every year we have a new strain of the flu and every year we had that vaccine the flu shot cocktail.

Actually, no, Steve. Novel flu strains seldom make it into the current year's flu vaccine. But since they are often active for a couple years, they will be added to the following year's. So there is still a year's worth of lag... and that year is used to test.

There were two new strains this season... I got one of them.

Going to put this in the stock market report for the day as well...

On rumors of Trump making major FDA-related announcements at the morning, Covid-19 presser the market was up dramatically from overnite futures' lows which carried over into the first hour of trading. After opening down about 3%, the S&P rose to about 6% on the rumors.

When it turned out that this malaria drug was the "big news" the market started selling off and the S&P closed with a 0.5% gain.

Why the disappointment?

We've known about the potential of existing anti-malaria drugs to treat Covid-19 since early February.

How did 'the market" hear this so much earlier?

The Chinese told us.

51 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

This would fall under the label change protocols which are mush faster than new drug timelines. Also helps that the drug is already approved for a certain kind of arthritis in the US. No idea of how many folks this is, but since we don't exactly treat a lot of Malaria cases stateside, it's got to be more.

So testing would be of the double-blind nature for efficacy.

The extra good news is that the data base of users for arthritis could be tapped for study of the impact of ovid-19 on them.

That said... i share your concern about teh amount of the noise being made about "cutting red tape" in a rush to bring some of the new drug and vaccines to bear.

Actually, no, Steve. Novel flu strains seldom make it into the current year's flu vaccine. But since they are often active for a couple years, they will be added to the following year's. So there is still a year's worth of lag... and that year is used to test.

There were two new strains this season... I got one of them.

So we should all be dead from SARS.

WSS

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Not sure what the official post recovery guidelines are, but I do not believe that feeling better post-fever means you are no longer infectious.

Sorry to read about your Mom.

As a double ... well, I guess now triple... hip replacement patient the one thing Doctors do is put the fear of post op infections into all joint replacement patients. I don't visit the Dentist now, even for a simple cleaning, without taking a mega-dose of antibiotics an hour before my appointment.

Still waiting for my doctor to get back with me so I can go and get tested at UD. Hopefully I will hear back from them tomorrow.

And yeah, the doctors are taking this surgery very seriously, considering the circumstances. The fucked up thing is, no one is allowed to go with Mom the day of her surgery, not even my Dad. Too much of an risk of catching or spreading COVID-19 at the hospital, so per the hospital, Mom will be alone. It's pretty sobering.

On 3/17/2020 at 7:00 PM, hoorta said:

Send out Door Dash and have them get you some Fever Tree tonic water and gin. Quinine is one of the original anti malarial drugs. Now watch there be a run on the stuff. Stay safe.  I may run out and buy a dozen extra bottles, I already have 4 in the 'fridge.  PS- as of an hour ago, our local liquor store is well stocked- though there was a big run Sunday afternoon when Dewine said he was shutting down the bars. 

The thing about quinine is, the dosages in tonic waters is too dilute to be medicinally effective.

On a related note,  in Analytical chemistry lab back in college, we ran an experiment calculating the concentration of quinine in tonic waters like Schweppes using a fluorometer. Quinine glows under ultraviolet light, and you can use the intensity of the glow to calculate it's concentration in a solution using fancy chemical voodoo equations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

The thing about quinine is, the dosages in tonic waters is too dilute to be medicinally effective.

On a related note,  in Analytical chemistry lab back in college, we ran an experiment calculating the concentration of quinine in tonic waters like Schweppes using a fluorometer. Quinine glows under ultraviolet light, and you can use the intensity of the glow to calculate it's concentration in a solution using fancy chemical voodoo equations.

Just drink a case a day. Easy switch from beer.🍺🥃

1 minute ago, jbluhm86 said:

Tonic water contains quinine. Quinine and chloroquine are two different molecules, although they're from the same class of compounds.

Well hell, it's back to drinking down the Cabernet stockpile for me.🍷

3 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Never before in reading one of your posts has my "Nerd alarm" sounded so loudly...

Get well, JB...

32 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Never before in reading one of your posts has my "Nerd alarm" sounded so loudly...

Get well, JB...

Biology major, with a minor in analytical chemistry.

So far, all I've gotten out of it is $70k in student loan debt and a new phobia of swimming in ponds and lakes.

I also suck at talking to women, surprisingly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

So far, all I've gotten out of it is $70k in student loan debt and a new phobia of swimming in ponds and lakes.

We Engineers actually like you guys...

.... you make us look cool.

On 3/18/2020 at 11:20 PM, MLD Woody said:

No... we should still do everything we normally do to get a drug approved but make that process the highest priority.

Woody you won't believe the hatred I have for the FDA- a bunch of damn bureaucrats answerable to no one. I 'll leave it at that,  but f-them. they created all the hoops you have to jump through to get something approved. It's why a lot of drugs are tested outside do the USA now. 

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Just drink a case a day. Easy switch from beer.🍺🥃

and wash it down with a fair amount of gin. I prefer Bombay Sapphire personally.  

2 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Tonic water contains quinine. Quinine and chloroquine are two different molecules, although they're from the same class of compounds.

and because you synthesize one and not the other it's why it's (chloroquine) is the drug of choice in anti malarials. Structurally very similar. I'm sure they'll try the other one quinoline. I haven't researched if you can buy pure quinine on Amazon to up it to therapeutic levels. 

Shoulda been a pharmacist. Organic chemistry was my love in college. and the pharm guys make a lot more money than lab techs. 

Feeling around 90%. No fever and headache is almost gone. Personally, I don't think I have COVID-19 and this was just seasonal hay fever, but I can't go back to work until I get a negative test. Really hoping that my doc gets back with me today about getting tested at UD.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Feeling around 90%. No fever and headache is almost gone. Personally, I don't think I have COVID-19 and this was just seasonal hay fever, but I can't go back to work until I get a negative test. Really hoping that my doc gets back with me today about getting tested at UD.

Good. Anyway the symptoms for this virus are pretty distinct from the cold and flu right?

WSS

19 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Good. Anyway the symptoms for this virus are pretty distinct from the cold and flu right?

WSS

I'm pretty sure there's a good amount of overlap. Just an emphasis on a fever and respiratory issues.

Honestly it's damn near the same thing as allergies and this is always a bad time of year. Outside of the fever

56 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Good to hear jb.. Been carrying mail for years now in NC...Our more serious issue for the last 2 weeks has been the Pollen & hay fevers running amuck with the carriers..It's early, & the worse in years.. easy for our work panic to start with the scratchy throats, caused mostly by the oak & tree pollens.. most our carriers have not seen the high fevers running.. but the panic of China & Japan parcels are really just starting to increase... we pray that the CDC is right on this stuff.... **Notes to others..Keep right distance from your carriers..Refuse to sign scanner glass with attached pens.. Approve Carrier to sign FoR You! Drop Package at safe distance than I will retrieve.. DO NOT use own BUSSiness CDC sites..Use Only 'TheCDC' site for safe personal-*SELF* updates.. Stay Safe folkS.. This is a real 💩///  No Panic..Stay safe .. dang! late to work again 🚴‍♀️

48 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I'm pretty sure there's a good amount of overlap. Just an emphasis on a fever and respiratory issues.

Honestly it's damn near the same thing as allergies and this is always a bad time of year. Outside of the fever

So you think that the reports that say if you're hacking up a bunch of mucus it's probably not covid 19? Get the part about being a dry cough with the high fever is a myth? Could be.

WSS

10 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

My wife had a roommate at Cornell who majored in microbiology and she and her husband became epidemiologists before recent retirement. They published and spoke all over the world on the subject. I think it's time for my wife to give her a call. If I learn anything new, I'll post it here.

Well, I just got off my phone with my doctor. She said I still do not qualify for mobile testing at UD, because of Premier Health's guidelines. She's writing me a note to allow me to go back to work on Monday if I'm feeling better, but idk if my job will accept it or not. So who knows at this point.