THE BROWNS BOARD

Just got put under quarantine

jbluhm86

Well, gents, I don't know if I have the virus or not, but I just got put on 14 day quarantine this afternoon by my doctor.

Started to get a sore throat late last night, followed by a persistent headache and low grade fever/cough earlier this morning.

Long story short, due to the shortage of covid-19 test kits, I wasn't eligible to be tested for it, so my primary physician put me on home quarantine for the next two weeks. I won't be able to return to work until the 31st, and won't be drawing a dime during that time.

My bigger concern is my folks. I moved back in with them a little bit ago to focus on paying my student debt down and build up a down payment for a house. They are both in their 60s, and quite frankly, I am very worried that they might have been exposed to whatever I have. I'm more concerned about them than myself at this point, so i've holed up in my room on the other side of the house to stay away from them.

This whole day has been quite surreal.

JB

17 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Well, gents, I don't know if I have the virus or not, but I just got put on 14 day quarantine this afternoon by my doctor.

Started to get a sore throat late last night, followed by a persistent headache and low grade fever/cough earlier this morning.

Long story short, due to the shortage of covid-19 test kits, I wasn't eligible to be tested for it, so my primary physician put me on home quarantine for the next two weeks. I won't be able to return to work until the 31st, and won't be drawing a dime during that time.

My bigger concern is my folks. I moved back in with them a little bit ago to focus on paying my student debt down and build up a down payment for a house. They are both in their 60s, and quite frankly, I am very worried that they might have been exposed to whatever I have. I'm more concerned about them than myself at this point, so i've holed up in my room on the other side of the house to stay away from them.

JB

dammit, Jblu - that is awful. Seems like a lot of lysol spray would be in order... this is no laughing matter. no "haha" for all the emergency actions being taken. Btw, we were watching TV, and there was a legit discussion on pills - do your own research and consult with your physician - I have no idea if it is a real deal or not - and of course-  it might not be the corona virus itself.

We also saw where our border inspections stopped big loads of FAKE TEST KITS for the corona virus. All test kits coming to our country are tested seriously for being the real deal.

Makes me wonder - how the hell did they make those so fast?

BTW, they already have an experimental vaccine to test with - that is freaking fast - will still take months ? for it to be approved as safe, I suppose.

Hope you are fine soon, and your parents stay just fine. It's just serious business. and I hope not working doesn't cause you any hardship. (car loan, etc.)

Of chloroquine and COVID-19 - ScienceDirect

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166354220301145

J. Gao, Z. Tian, X. YangBreakthrough: chloroquine phosphate has shown apparent efficacy in treatment of COVID-19 associated pneumonia in clinical studies Biosci. Trends (2020), 10.5582/bst.2020.01047

Antimalarial drug confirmed effective on COVID-19: Chinese ...

https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/2020/02/20/antimalarial-drug-confirmed-effective...

Chinese experts, based on the result of clinical trials, have confirmed that chloroquine phosphate, an antimalarial drug, has a certain curative effect on the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19),...

8 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Luckily, I went out about a month ago and stocked up on stuff for my folks and myself, so i'm just taking OTC flu meds and tylenol and riding this thing out. My folks are my bigger concern at the moment.

Hopefully it's nothing...

Take care, man! I also live with my parents (69 and 74) and my brother has diabethes, so I can see the sense of responsability you have. 

I know that if I get it (if I haven't already) I will probably do fine, so I'm in the same position. 

Let's hope it just ends on an anecdote for all of us. 

32 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

J. Gao, Z. Tian, X. YangBreakthrough: chloroquine phosphate has shown apparent efficacy in treatment of COVID-19 associated pneumonia in clinical studies Biosci. Trends (2020), 10.5582/bst.2020.01047

Antimalarial drug confirmed effective on COVID-19: Chinese ...

https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/2020/02/20/antimalarial-drug-confirmed-effective...

Chinese experts, based on the result of clinical trials, have confirmed that chloroquine phosphate, an antimalarial drug, has a certain curative effect on the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19),...

Send out Door Dash and have them get you some Fever Tree tonic water and gin. Quinine is one of the original anti malarial drugs. Now watch there be a run on the stuff. Stay safe.  I may run out and buy a dozen extra bottles, I already have 4 in the 'fridge.  PS- as of an hour ago, our local liquor store is well stocked- though there was a big run Sunday afternoon when Dewine said he was shutting down the bars. 

Sorry to hear that you are in quarantine but glad that you got prepared and stocked up ahead of time. My wife's parents live in Butler County. They are in their 80's and my wife and I are concerned about them with this coronavirus. I live north of you in Shelby County and they are starting drive thru coronavirus testing starting tomorrow. Hoping everything will be OK with you and your parents. 

https://www.sidneydailynews.com/news/174121/covid-19-testing-site

First off - damn.  I'm sorry about that, J.    Stay healthy and likewise to your family.

Well I'm not under quarantine (thank god) but as of 4:50pm,  I was notified by work that someone has indicated to our company they were exposed to corona, is out sick and displaying all the symptoms.   They were "not allowed" to tell us who (HIPPA), but once you start to ask around certain departments it wasn't hard to find out.     Warned we may have been exposed as well and to vigilantly monitor for symptoms.  

God speed, to all of us.  But most especially the most vulnerable of our society.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

First off - damn.  I'm sorry about that, J.    Stay healthy and likewise to your family.

Well I'm not under quarantine (thank god) but as of 4:50pm,  I was notified by work that someone has indicated to our company they were exposed to corona, is out sick and displaying all the symptoms.   They were "not allowed" to tell us who (HIPPA), but once you start to ask around certain departments it wasn't hard to find out.     Warned we may have been exposed as well and to vigilantly monitor for symptoms.  

God speed, to all of us.  But most especially the most vulnerable of our society.

all stupid arguing aside, I truly hope and pray everybody here, and all their friends and families, are going to be fine.

but it had all better be over by the time we go camping with friends in tenn. in may. lol

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

JB

the oregon unemployment web site crashed yesterday 

gonna be a long ass back up

18 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

all stupid arguing aside, I truly hope and pray everybody here, and all their friends and families, are going to be fine.

but it had all better be over by the time we go camping with friends in tenn. in may. lol

Likewise, no malice towards anyone.  Every flu season is a challenge for the elderly and compromised.

27 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Likewise, no malice towards anyone.  Every flu season is a challenge for the elderly and compromised.

I'm with both of you on this. I rarely pray but when I do it's always for someone else. Mine was answered 50 years ago and has made all the difference since. I know it has for cal as well so I add mine to his for all of you. The rest of the little arguments are trivial in comparison. 🖖

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ATOM said:

the oregon unemployment web site crashed yesterday 

gonna be a long ass back up

According to someone who's been following the news- 46,000 unemployment applications in Ohio- so far. Little wonder the Oregon website crashed. 

Welcome to the Great Depression of 2020.   

4 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

JB

Sorry to hear that.

The Headache / low grade fever (plus a little nausea) is what I had a few weeks ago, lasted about 4 - 5 days.

Second round is less sever Headache / low grade fever and occasional cough/congestion.

As long as your parents don't have existing medical conditions they should be okay.

Comped Immune systems are the ones that are dying out here, and mostly 70+ age.

I hear the stage to worry about is when there is a lot of Sinus drainage - get treatment for sure at this point as it can move to pneumonia.

South Korea is having luck with this (not original article).

https://wholefoodsmagazine.com/columns/vitamin-connection/vitamin-c-and-the-immune-system-nutritional-fortification-to-support-defenses-against-viruses/

Of course, they're using massive IV doses, but anything you can do helps.

Keep Well.

13 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

JB

That sucks my friend. Especially sucks that if they actually thought you might have a disease that was only seriously dangerous to older people they would send you home to Mom and Dad's house. But look at the bright side, you have a smartphone and you have us.

😷🤗

WSS

13 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

They are both in their 60s, and quite frankly, I am very worried that they might have been exposed to whatever I have. I'm more concerned about them than myself at this point, so i've holed up in my room on the other side of the house to stay away from them.

JB

Make sure they have a really good anti everything hand soap like Dial which the VA surgical nurses in the hospital I worked in give to patients before surgery with instructions to wash their entire body with thoroughly before coming in for surgery. Have them bring you meals and leave it outside your door, pick up the dirty dishes and clothes for cleaning at your door and then scrub down with Dial. Would not hurt to shower with it at the end of each day when they get all the dishes/clothes. If they go out for groceries make sure they use the store's sanitizer wipes to pick up anything or open any display case. Carriers touch stuff without even thinking about it.

BTW Dial was easy to find in all our grocers. People don't know that stuff is far better than hand sanitizers. I stocked up and everyone in our house who comes back from outside who went anywhere has instructions to use it immediately on hands at a minimum. Full shower with it if they had to be in the grocery store.

Hang in there, JB...

17 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Ditto...

... even Steve... ;)

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Day 1 of his quarantine.  J, how you holding up? 

Much the same as yesterday. Haven't gotten much better, but haven't gotten worse either. Tylenol seem to be keeping the fever manageable, and I've been taking Mucinex to keep my sinuses and lungs clear. 

Just found out today that Mom needs corrective surgery on her knee. Mom had a knee surgery go bad and got infected early last year, and has been in/out of hospital/nursing home and bedridden for the majority of last year; she's been home since Oct. As a consequence of her infection and recovery, she was on heavy duty antibiotics for many months, and her immune system isn't 100%. Orthopedic surgeon said this upcoming surgery is minor and relatively common, but with her compromised immune system, I'm staying far away from her and Dad (primary caregiver) to reduce the risk of her getting sick. Pretty bummed that I can't be at her surgery, but it is what it is.

Frustrating part is I don't know if this is the real coronavirus or simply bad seasonal allergies, etc, because there's not enough tests for everyone, so I have to stay away from family and friends as a precaution.

Anyway, OTC meds and rest seem to be helping at the moment and, knock on wood, this doesn't feel any different from a bad cold or flu, so I'll be tip-top Magoo here in a few days, hopefully.

Thanks for the well wishes; be sure to take common sense cleanliness measures to keep yourselves and loved ones safe.