THE BROWNS BOARD

Schobert to Jags

darren15

12 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

It does, but if I could wipe my ass with $100 bills it may making losing a bit easier.

I mean you directly noted Joe's situation. Sure, I don't disagree but it's not like a situation we would face where a new job may mean $10k bonus. For an NFL player, $3 million dollars is setting up your children for life. Joe could go down during OTA's and never play again, it's the nature of the business. There's a reasons dudes hold out for that type of monetary difference in negotiations. I just pretty strongly believe a lot of dudes see playing the game just as a job, and want to get the biggest bag they can. No shame there.

If you can't set up your children on $24 mill, instead of $27 mill, then the player in question is a full ruh-tard. 

The scenario I laid out already guarantees that Joe would walk away from the NFL with $27 mill if he injures himself on Day 1 of his Jacksonville OTA's... or $24 mill overall if the same happened for the Patriots, Seahawks, Ravens, etc... 

But you present a good argument, jrb. I like your style. 

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Green Diamond in Barberton? 

Its alright.  Been there many times.  After all, it was only 2 blocks from my former office.  

Al's next door probably does carry out.    (though that likely would not be her taste).   And yea, you lost out on the lunch I said I would buy you there because you never showed up.  Too late now. (not really, but I am not just a few doors down any more)

39 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Its alright.  Been there many times.  After all, it was only 2 blocks from my former office.  

Al's next door probably does carry out.    (though that likely would not be her taste).   And yea, you lost out on the lunch I said I would buy you there because you never showed up.  Too late now. (not really, but I am not just a few doors down any more)

How about that Italian joint in Wadsworth... Marie's I think it is called? Up by Home Depot I think? 

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

My wife is not a big fan....except she like their burgers, can you believe that. 

Actually, I can. My parents will drive all the way north from Ravenna to a seafood joint on the Grand River near Lake Erie and half the time he'd get a burger, because allegedly they make a good one. I wouldn't know, because I love seafood! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Actually, I can. My parents will drive all the way north from Ravenna to a seafood joint on the Grand River near Lake Erie and half the time he'd get a burger, because allegedly they make a good one. I wouldn't know, because I love seafood! 

Is that the place that's has flooded a couple times? Good Time Charlie's or some such name? Maybe Pickle Bill's?

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Is that the place that's has flooded a couple times? Good Time Charlie's or some such name? Maybe Pickle Bill's?

It's actually Brennan's, which is about 50 feet away from Pickle Bill's. 

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

If you can't set up your children on $24 mill, instead of $27 mill, then the player in question is a full ruh-tard. 

The scenario I laid out already guarantees that Joe would walk away from the NFL with $27 mill if he injures himself on Day 1 of his Jacksonville OTA's... or $24 mill overall if the same happened for the Patriots, Seahawks, Ravens, etc... 

But you present a good argument, jrb. I like your style. 

I just don't see how you're acting like $3 million is chump change. If you "rule of 7" that amount of money, by the time Joe hits his early 50's he's going to have an extra $40 something million in the bank. Who the hell knows if Joe is the type to smartly invest money, but that's the long-term picture you gotta consider. It's also a different mentality when you're "career" is over by the time you're mid 30's at the latest.

On 3/18/2020 at 9:22 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

I can tell you from living in a no state income tax state that they squeeze it out of you through property tax.

Overall tax burden is almost never mentioned because "Nationwide State&Local Taxes Are Roughly Equivalent" just isn't headline-worthy..

This is from the same idea as the assertion that "Government Always Pays Too Much" .. reality is that anyone who "wins" a government contract is allowed to change any line item's number [because those contract documents are public record] to protect their business interests [usually to prevent competitors from learning about their business] as long as the total doesn't change.  So if you saw $1000 for a toilet seat but $1 for the labor cost to repair a jet engine.. the only thing you can conclude is that the total is $1001.

• Thanks 1

Pretty sure sales taxes also tend to be higher in states without income taxes.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

This is from the same idea as the assertion that "Government Always Pays Too Much" .. reality is that anyone who "wins" a government contract is allowed to change any line item's number [because those contract documents are public record] to protect their business interests [usually to prevent competitors from learning about their business] as long as the total doesn't change.  So if you saw $1000 for a toilet seat but $1 for the labor cost to repair a jet engine.. the only thing you can conclude is that the total is $1001.

I did not know that...

Makes me feel better about all those damn $300 hammers...

... or were those real? 😮

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Pretty sure sales taxes also tend to be higher in states without income taxes.

I did not know that...

Makes me feel better about all those damn $300 hammers...

... or were those real? 😮

They are autographed. Ahead of his time hammering out a warning.😁

19 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

They are autographed. Ahead of his time hammering out a warning.😁

I still have the 45 of Harry Belafonte's cover... :)

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Makes me feel better about all those damn $300 hammers 😮

Every row gets changed to some extent - places like this are usually the catchall, and often the only one "reported" as "waste" is the catchall.

I can't speak to every situation.. but frankly as a government employee the amount of scrutiny on expense reports is substantially more than anything I've ever experienced in the same job in private sector.  The blanket assertion that "gov is always wasteful" is flat-out false.  I can't put "taxi" in one row - i have to split out each direction on separate rows, and the tip for that direction [no more than 20%] on yet another row.. and comment each one to be clear, and attach the receipt.  Thus one day's ride from hotel to site and back is 4 rows..

8 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

I just don't see how you're acting like $3 million is chump change. If you "rule of 7" that amount of money, by the time Joe hits his early 50's he's going to have an extra $40 something million in the bank. Who the hell knows if Joe is the type to smartly invest money, but that's the long-term picture you gotta consider. It's also a different mentality when you're "career" is over by the time you're mid 30's at the latest.

Because I've already said - twice - that I would consider a 50 year earning run of $5 mill to be very nice.

So I would be fine with going with a good team and giving up $3 mill if it means I would be happy with my work environment AND having already made $24 mill by the time I'm 30. Apparently money means way more to you than it does me. 

20 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Because I've already said - twice - that I would consider a 50 year earning run of $5 mill to be very nice.

So I would be fine with going with a good team and giving up $3 mill if it means I would be happy with my work environment AND having already made $24 mill by the time I'm 30. Apparently money means way more to you than it does me. 

It just shows how the talent and TV money arms race has got so crazy.  Players making so many millions that they in reality can never spend and their grandkids kids will still fight over.

I miss the old game with the $100,000 a year salaries.....so simple back then.

Although Brown still has one year to go on a two-year contract at a salary reported to be $60,000-plus a year, he has decided to step out at the top of his career. The 228-pounder, who was the league's most valuable player in 1965, has gained almost seven miles in his N.F.L. career.

He made $12,000 as a rookie, his contract went up for auction.

17569876-large.jpg

17569856-large.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I can't speak to every situation.. but frankly as a government employee the amount of scrutiny on expense reports is substantially more than anything I've ever experienced in the same job in private sector.  The blanket assertion that "gov is always wasteful" is flat-out false.  I can't put "taxi" in one row - i have to split out each direction on separate rows, and the tip for that direction [no more than 20%] on yet another row.. and comment each one to be clear, and attach the receipt.  Thus one day's ride from hotel to site and back is 4 rows..

If I ever need you down in the Political section, may I give you a call? ;) 

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Cool old document...

Is it a valid contract if his name is typed in as "Jimmy Brown", but he signs it "James N. Brown?"

Basically you need 4 key elements to have a legal contract and his is correct.  I've had many undergraduate and graduate courses in business law, contracts, labor law etc. plus did worked with contracts at my last job.   I did find that a very cool piece of BROWNS history, I heard his contract should bring from $30,000 to $50,000 at auction.

I had this beat into my head but it is very important on contracts -and- there are various kinds of contracts but this is important:

Now that I think of it, I wonder if you might be using Street Law which is a text that I have used when teaching very basic law to high school students.  It says the four elements are

• Offer
  • Acceptance
  • Mutual agreement. (a meeting of the minds)
  • Consideration (you have to give something in exchange for what you are getting)

On 3/20/2020 at 7:47 PM, Tour2ma said:

Cool old document...

Is it a valid contract if his name is typed in as "Jimmy Brown", but he signs it "James N. Brown?"

Another interesting thing about the 1957 Jim Brown contract and contracts of today is that they are basically the same except for the number of zeros and other perks like reporting bonuses, signing bonuses, workout bonuses and other somewhat dubious bonuses.

Now you can actually get a bonus for working out?  In our recent Trent Richardson discussion I noticed he got a $150,000 workout bonus with the raiders before leaving football.

Really now.