THE BROWNS BOARD

Schobert to Jags

darren15

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Joe is a glutton for punishment. 

...just doin' what he can for his family.  Now is the time to make the bucks.  You've gotta strike while the iron's hot.  The bucks are in Jacksonville...

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Ah.... but does he enjoy the pain?

Outta the fryin' pan... etc...

Best of luck, Joe...

5 minutes ago, Orion said:

...just doin' what he can for his family.  Now is the time to make the bucks.  You've gotta strike while the iron's hot.  The bucks are in Jacksonville...

I get that, but man, he just left a poorly-run franchise for another poorly-run franchise. You only get to play in the NFL once, and he's pretty much guaranteeing himself no chance of playing for a winner for a huge chunk of his career. 

He could have gotten what any of us would consider great, life-changing money somewhere else. Yes, maybe not as much as Jacksonville offered, but man... the Jaguars? Oof.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bigalow80 said:

But no state income tax in FL! That 10.75 there is closer to 12 or 13 in Ohio...good for Joe.

I can tell you from living in a no state income tax state that they squeeze it out of you through property tax. I own a home worth less than my brothers' homes in Colorado which has a state income tax. But when we do the math they pay less overall tax because I pay about 3 times as much as they do in property tax on the home. It's hidden robbery I tell ya.

But no state income tax in FL! That 10.75 there is closer to 12 or 13 in Ohio...good for Joe.

I can tell you from living in a no state income tax state that they squeeze it out of you through property tax. I own a home worth less than my brothers' homes in Colorado which has a state income tax. But when we do the math they pay less overall tax because I pay about 3 times as much as they do in property tax on the home. It's hidden robbery I tell ya.

This is true. I was in a state recently...maybe Nevada?  which has no income tax.   They robbed you blind on a lot of other things.   Sales tax was over 10%...and they charged that on everything, including groceries...for which Ohio's  tax is -0-  There user fees on things which Ohio does not charge for are also ridiculous.   Some of those states charge "luxury taxes"...like on owning a car.  Ohio has a "tax" called a license plate renewal fee. But if you don't get vanity plates that is only like $54.00.   These states can charge you $1000.00 a year just for owning a car.  I know that in Texas, they charge like $15.00 a person just to go into a state park and take a hike. 

Etc. 

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yeah, but your bro doesn't get to deduct his state income tax any longer when he does his Federal.

So there's that...

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yeah, but your bro doesn't get to deduct his state income tax any longer when he does his Federal.

So there's that...

And I don't get to deduct my property tax either because I don't itemize any longer since the rule change. My house is paid off so there are no high interest payments pushing me over the top. I used to be able to pay my yearly property tax in Jan and then the next years before Dec. 31 of the same year so I had enough to itemize every other year. That doesn't work anymore.

20 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I get that, but man, he just left a poorly-run franchise for another poorly-run franchise. You only get to play in the NFL once, and he's pretty much guaranteeing himself no chance of playing for a winner for a huge chunk of his career. 

He could have gotten what any of us would consider great, life-changing money somewhere else. Yes, maybe not as much as Jacksonville offered, but man... the Jaguars? Oof.

Only so much time to make cash too. Maybe Jax had the clearly best offer. But you're right: from one badly run team to another. I thought when Coughlin came back, they'd quickly be on the rise........and they were in 2017...and then, whoops, it's midnight, yo, your carriage has turned back into a pumpkin. 

20 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I've said it before, but honestly I just wonder how many guys truly have the Tom Brady "win at all costs" mentality. I truly believe to many dudes in the NFL  it's not much different than how we view our jobs. I'd be willing to bet Jags overpaid for Joe compared to other teams by a little bit anyway. If we're talking the difference of say $3 million fully guaranteed, that's life changing.

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

I've said it before, but honestly I just wonder how many guys truly have the Tom Brady "win at all costs" mentality. I truly believe to many dudes in the NFL  it's not much different than how we view our jobs. I'd be willing to bet Jags overpaid for Joe compared to other teams by a little bit anyway. If we're talking the difference of say $3 million fully guaranteed, that's life changing.

I hear you, but losing sucks...

On 3/17/2020 at 5:42 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Exactly what I thought.  A Wisconsin kid went to UW a star in Cleveland and now goes to JAX ?  You'd think he could have got a good deal with a better team, still not too bad numbers in this deal.

......The Jacksonville Jaguars have agreed to terms with former Cleveland Browns linebacker Joe Schobert, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. Former #Browns LB Joe Schobert is headed to the #Jaguars on a 5-year, $53.75M deal, source said. He gets an average of $10.75M per year. $12M to sign and $22.5M guaranteed.......

$34.5M sign + guaranteed = Baker Mayfield #1 pick numbers.  Good luck Joe we'll miss you !

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Let me throw out a hypothetical:

A player gets drafted, and makes a total of $5 mill during his first four years. He heads to free agency, and a poorly-run franchise offers this player $22 mill guaranteed. Another team, a well-run team that consistently makes the playoffs, offers $19 mill guaranteed. I pick Team 2. Why? 

Because a person who works for 50 years and averages $100,000 a year (which where I come from is fantastic money) makes $5 million his or her ENTIRE life. If I'm that player, I've already made that by age 27. I can now make AT LEAST $19 mill more and play for a good team by the time I'm 30 or so? $24 mill by the time I'm 30? Yeah, I think my family will be just fine without me being miserable in some trainwreck of a team for an extra $3 mill. 

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I hear you, but losing sucks...

It does, but if I could wipe my ass with $100 bills it may making losing a bit easier.

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Let me throw out a hypothetical:

A player gets drafted, and makes a total of $5 mill during his first four years. He heads to free agency, and a poorly-run franchise offers this player $22 mill guaranteed. Another team, a well-run team that consistently makes the playoffs, offers $19 mill guaranteed. I pick Team 2. Why? 

Because a person who works for 50 years and averages $100,000 a year (which where I come from is fantastic money) makes $5 million his or her ENTIRE life. If I'm that player, I've already made that by age 27. I can now make AT LEAST $19 mill more and play for a good team by the time I'm 30 or so? $24 mill by the time I'm 30? Yeah, I think my family will be just fine without me being miserable in some trainwreck of a team for an extra $3 mill. 

I mean you directly noted Joe's situation. Sure, I don't disagree but it's not like a situation we would face where a new job may mean $10k bonus. For an NFL player, $3 million dollars is setting up your children for life. Joe could go down during OTA's and never play again, it's the nature of the business. There's a reasons dudes hold out for that type of monetary difference in negotiations. I just pretty strongly believe a lot of dudes see playing the game just as a job, and want to get the biggest bag they can. No shame there.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

.......  I mean you directly noted Joe's situation. Sure, I don't disagree but it's not like a situation we would face where a new job may mean $10k bonus. For an NFL player, $3 million dollars is setting up your children for life. Joe could go down during OTA's and never play again, it's the nature of the business. There's a reasons dudes hold out for that type of monetary difference in negotiations. I just pretty strongly believe a lot of dudes see playing the game just as a job, and want to get the biggest bag they can. No shame there.

Some play for the love of the game.  Most love the game plus a paycheck better than anything else that they could get on the outside.  Some are in it just for the money like other jobs.

In a game with an average life expectancy of about 3.3 years and no pension qualifications until after 3 years......hell yes I'd go for the signing bonuses and guaranteed money.

In Joe's case a $12M signing bonus is like 1+ years on the job money.  How many of us let's say for example go for a $50k job can get a $60k sign on bonus, none?

Now I'm a numbers geek so I watch this boring stuff.      Football is the toughest sport, many never see any pension some never break camp without getting hurt or cut. Oh the NFL is very generous in it's 401(k) matching 200% of the employee savings.

Some other sports pensions are better and less hazardous.   https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0710/top-pro-athlete-pension-plans.aspx

Get this (might be the previous contracts):

Major League Baseball has the best pension program of all professional sports. A big-league player needs a short amount of time—just 43 days of service—to qualify for a pension benefit. Forty-three days of service can guarantee an MLB player a $34,000 per year pension benefit. One day on an active roster qualifies a player for full comprehensive medical benefits.

IMPORTANT: MLB players qualify for an annual pension after 43 days of service and for full comprehensive medical benefits after one day on an active roster.

Major league baseball players become fully vested in their pensions after 10 years of service. It is not uncommon for retired baseball players with over 10 years of service to receive over $100,000 annually upon reaching the age of 62. Baseball has the most well-funded pension program with estimates valuing the plan at over half a billion dollars.

NBA players have one of the most generous pension plans out of all professional sports. They are vested into their pension plans after playing at least three seasons in the league. The minimum benefit for a player who retires at the age of 62 is $56,988 per year—not a bad retirement for a three-year career. The maximum benefit for any player is $195,000. It takes 11 years of NBA service to qualify for this benefit.

But that's not all. NBA players are also eligible to participate in a league-sponsored 401(k). Do you think your 401(k) plan is good with a 50% matching policy? The NBA matches a player's contributions up to 140%.

Although NHL players can start withdrawing their pension benefits at the age of 45, they are not fully vested until they actually turn 45. NHL pensions require that a player be active for at least 160 games to qualify for the maximum pension benefit. Players with less than 160 games of service receive the maximum benefit under Canadian law, and players with 160 games or more of service receive the maximum pension under U.S. law, which is $45,000 annually.

• Upvote 1

140% match on 401k? Let my ass sit on the end of the bench for two years, I'll be the best damn water boy the NBA has ever seen! 😀

MLB makes sense to me actually cause it's so rigorous to get to the big league compared to other sports. Good write-up, definitely agree. As noted, there's a reason guys hold out for "small" difference of a couple million dollars in fully guaranteed money. You do certainly have dudes like TB12 who took a pay cut to get players around him. Of course, not every player in the NFL ALSO has a super model wife who routinely earns more money than them.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

140% match on 401k? Let my ass sit on the end of the bench for two years, I'll be the best damn water boy the NBA has ever seen! 😀

MLB makes sense to me actually cause it's so rigorous to get to the big league compared to other sports. Good write-up, definitely agree. As noted, there's a reason guys hold out for "small" difference of a couple million dollars in fully guaranteed money. You do certainly have dudes like TB12 who took a pay cut to get players around him. Of course, not every player in the NFL ALSO has a super model wife who routinely earns more money than them.

Do remember that in MLB you may wait a few to many years in the minor leagues until you are fortunate enough to make it to the bigs and get at least that one day on the roster to try and get that nice pension with medical benefits.

The NFL and NBA has the NCAA as their minor league and hopefully you're smart enough to get a degree in something.

The NHL is tough in it's own way, hopefully you go the NCAA route and get a degree and don't get stuck forever in the minors.

For the rest of us working stiffs there's college, trade schools or the real deal scratch off lottery tickets !     :lol:

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Do remember that in MLB you may wait a few to many years in the minor leagues until you are fortunate enough to make it to the bigs and get at least that one day on the roster to try and get that nice pension with medical benefits.

The NFL and NBA has the NCAA as their minor league and hopefully you're smart enough to get a degree in something.

The NHL is tough in it's own way, hopefully you go the NCAA route and get a degree and don't get stuck forever in the minors.

For the rest of us working stiffs there's college, trade schools or the real deal scratch off lottery tickets !     :lol:

I bought a scratch off the other day and it gave my my biggest payoff that I ever recall:   $100 bucks!   I said that I would take my wife out for a nice dinner with it....but OOPS.....all the restaurants are closed.   She made beef stew instead.  I guess I gotta figure where to get that "nice dinner" as a carry out in the next few days.  I am looking for ideas, in the Wadsworth/Barberton/Norton area. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I bought a scratch off the other day and it gave my my biggest payoff that I ever recall:   $100 bucks!   I said that I would take my wife out for a nice dinner with it....but OOPS.....all the restaurants are closed.   She made beef stew instead.  I guess I gotta figure where to get that "nice dinner" as a carry out in the next few days.  I am looking for ideas, in the Wadsworth/Barberton/Norton area. 

The Green Diamond in Barberton?