THE BROWNS BOARD

Players who stayed home trivia

Gorka

A recent Gipper player/city trivia thread made me wonder how many players played their entire football careers in the state they were born,....high school, college and the pros. I often get two out of three as in Mike Golic ...who went to St. Joes, played for the Browns, but went to Notre Dame.

I can only come up with 3 so far. I really don't think there's many.

Lou Groza...Martins Ferry High, OSU, Browns

Dante Lavelli, Hudson High, OSU, Browns

Jack Ham... Johnstown, Pa. Penn State, Steelers

Couldn't come up with a Bengal yet. Ross Browner from Ohio, but went to Notre Dame.

I also considered giving credit to players who have stayed home but switched teams later. Marcus Allen for example who is from San Diego's Lincoln High,  played for USC, then the Raiders...but played for the Chiefs to end his career....but that's no fun.

Best way to find out is think of a player then go to Wiki.
  • Thanks 1

Are we just talking about NFL here?

Here is one I recall:   Lou Gehrig...born/raised in New York City, went to college at Columbia, played his entire career for the Yankees.  Never even left the city.

You mentioned Groza and Lavelli.  I believe Bill Willis was the same.  From Ohio, played for OSU, played entire career with the Browns. 

The rare part nowadays is to have a player stick with just one team his entire career.   As we have seen today, even Tom Brady after 20 years is leaving NE. 

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Dat Nguyen - Played for Rockport near Corpus, Texas A&M and Dallas Cowboys. He was born in a Vietnamese refugee camp BTW.

Speaking of Texans:    Dandy Don Meredith.    Born raised in Texas,  played at SMU, and for Cowboys his whole career.    He, like  Gehrig, never left the Dallas area.    (looking him up...he was from Mt. Vernon TX....just east of Dallas, no?)

• Upvote 1

Need three rulings from Commissioner Sebastian...

• What if a player changes teams within his home State?
  • What if a player joins a home-state NFL franchise and never plays for another, but the team moves to a different state?
  • How do we treat the Jets and Giants? They now play in NJ.

Got a couple who are still active, but qualify as of now...

• Lavonte David was Florida born, attended UCF and has been Buc for 8 years.
  • Adam Theilen... MN born, attended MN St. - Mankato and Vike for 6 years.

• Upvote 1

An active who may be the ultimate homer....

Kevin Huber (P) born in Cinci... went to U Cinci... 11-year Bengal and counting.

Might still be living in his parent's basement...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

My first big name....

Bob Lilly... born in Olney, TX... went to TCU.... "Mr. Cowboy"

And now lives in Sun City right next door. He once opened the door for me at the local UPS store when we both got to it at the same time. Had a nice little two seat silver Mercedes. Don't know how long it took him to unwind out of it though.

Make that names...

Also Jerry Mays... born in Dallas... attended SMU... career Texan/Chief...

Getting these last couple names from AFL's 1962 Draft.  Remembered that the early AFL Drafts were largely regional to grab names the locals would know.

So if a draftee attended an in state college, then there's a decent chance that he was born in-state as well.

And here's a double-ruling name... and a well-known one at that...

• Ron Mix
  • Born: LA
  • College: USC
  • Played for: LA Chargers/ SD Chargers and then the Oakland Raiders

My work here is done... :)

Fun stuff....

7 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And now lives in Sun City right next door. He once opened the door for me at the local UPS store when we both got to it at the same time. Had a nice little two seat silver Mercedes. Don't know how long it took him to unwind out of it though.

Love those little brushes with the famous...

Think I've told the story of being bought hot chocolate by Lou Groza at The Chalet, Cleveland Metroparks' dual toboggan run. Groza was there with his Granddaughters.