Free agent safeties still out there the Browns could pick up:

Jimmie Ward.....49ers

HaHa Dix.....Bears

Rodney McCleod ....Eagles

Vonn Bell.....Saints

Adrian Phillips....Chargers

Karl Joseph.....Raiders

Sean Davis....Steelers

Out of this group, could we get back better than we lost....if we sign a couple?

33 minutes ago, Bigalow80 said:

Exactly why they would have to trade for him..I saw that MN would be willing to let him go for a mid-round pick...Not so sure now that they traded Diggs and got some draft picks back but they are still in salary cap hell.

Yes,  I guess they just wanted to assure that they got something back for Harris instead of losing him for nothing:

https://sports.yahoo.com/vikings-tagged-anthony-harris-available-104659577.html

The issue there is that with the tag....comes an 11.5 million salary.

OR...question:    If a player is given the franchise tag.....and then the team that tags him trades him....is the team that trades for him still obligated to pay him the Franchise Tag salary?  Or, are they free to negotiate? 

30 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yes,  I guess they just wanted to assure that they got something back for Harris instead of losing him for nothing:

OR...question:    If a player is given the franchise tag.....and then the team that tags him trades him....is the team that trades for him still obligated to pay him the Franchise Tag salary?  Or, are they free to negotiate? 

The team acquiring the player is still obligated to the franchise tag salary. However, they are able to negotiate a deal with them up until the July Franchise deadline. The seahawks traded for clowney last year and were unable to negotiate a long term deal but still paid him under the franchise tender. The 49ers traded for Clark last year and were able to sign him long term. Most of the time when a team is trading for a franchise player they have already had conversations with the agent so they have a general idea of what it is going to take to sign the player long term.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

IIRC, they can renegotiate  a deal, then trade him. We aren't  giving up  a first round pick  for him. 

15 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

7ohP4FeQn64NNqKskvZpZexnREfqXovC4Ho6jdBK

LMAO.... Funniest post of the YTD...

... but I had no reactions left for the day so I owe you one... at least one...

Remind me tomorrow?

===========================================================

Edit: Well it's tomorrow on the East Coast, so just paid the debt...

Still funny as hell...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

Exactly why they would have to trade for him..I saw that MN would be willing to let him go for a mid-round pick...Not so sure now that they traded Diggs and got some draft picks back but they are still in salary cap hell.

7 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

The team acquiring the player is still obligated to the franchise tag salary. However, they are able to negotiate a deal with them up until the July Franchise deadline. The seahawks traded for clowney last year and were unable to negotiate a long term deal but still paid him under the franchise tender. The 49ers traded for Clark last year and were able to sign him long term. Most of the time when a team is trading for a franchise player they have already had conversations with the agent so they have a general idea of what it is going to take to sign the player long term.

Upvote worthy stuff... owe you one as well.

A lot of times contract length plus guaranteed money bring that annual salary down.

That said... we have some big paydays just 'round the corner.

Whatever we are paying our cap-master... he's going to be earning it these next few years.

6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Redwine and Hassell...

Cranial-rectumnitis?

Yea, right....those two are really going to do it for us.  Ya think? 

Here are the facts:  if Randall leaves, we will need two  NFL quality starting safeties.  Not sure if Redwine qualifies at this point. He could be a sufficient backup.   Hassell was third string last year, basically filling out a roster spot.

But...if you believe that the Browns are in good shape with those two as our starting safeties this coming season....by all means, please expound as to why.   It would be a more than pleasant surprise if you are right. 

There you go again...

I never said "starters".

On the other hand you did say "starters and backups".

Catching on yet? Or do I need to slow down more for you?

12 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

There you go again...

I never said "starters".

On the other hand you did say "starters and backups".

Catching on yet? Or do I need to slow down more for you?

I don't care what you said.    Before you even imposed yourself into this conversation  I said that we need  3 safeties.   We need 3 safeties  (assuming we lose Randall)

Again.... I accept your surrender.

Now onto something more productive... so for everyone except Gipper...

Looking through the FAs left I noticed Ravens' once great CB, Jimmy Smith is still out there. At 31 he's lost a step, but at 6'2, 210 he has SS size to play in the box.

OTC puts his 2020 contract potential in the $2mm - 3mm area.... so maybe $2 + incentives. Only downside is his injury history in recent years. SportsInjuryPredictor.com puts his 2020 chances of injury that requires he miss at least 2 quarters at 44%.

Thoughts?

20 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Again.... I accept your surrender.

Just like the Greeks surrendered to the Trojans.  If you were a civilization, you would be Troy or Carthage.

Now onto something more productive... so for everyone except Gipper...

You still never answered the question:   were those two  Cinci signings a big splash in your mind...or not. 

Looking through the FAs left I noticed Ravens' once great CB, Jimmy Smith is still out there. At 31 he's lost a step, but at 6'2, 210 he has SS size to play in the box.

OTC puts his 2020 contract potential in the $2mm - 3mm area.... so maybe $2 + incentives. Only downside is his injury history in recent years. SportsInjuryPredictor.com puts his 2020 chances of injury that requires he miss at least 2 quarters at 44%.

Thoughts?

With his lost step...could he play safety? 

Wrong thread to talk splash Gipper...

And what part of "except Gipper" was unclear? I knew you'd have nothing to add.

You're losing it.

• Haha 1