THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns to sign TE Austin Hooper

Zombo

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

With $18.5mm of the guaranteed money (totaling $23mm) payable at signing the proposed contract is cap friendly.

They have a "beanie"... a threshold over which there is a "luxury tax" penalty.

The luxury tax is sent to the violating team in a "bill".

Add a bill to a beanie and what do you have?

A cap...

Q.E.D.

If they are willing to pay the tax, then there is no cap.  Any number of teams have been willing to do so over the years.  Yankees, Red Sox etc. 

4 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I read a lot of Hoopers catches and yards came in garbage time 

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I read that Atlanta’s off. Efficiency dropped drastically with Hooper out.

Pretty sure both can be true for a 7-9 team that ranked 30th in rushing yards and 1st in pass attempts.

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

If they are willing to pay the tax, then there is no cap.  Any number of teams have been willing to do so over the years.  Yankees, Red Sox etc. 

So if an NFL team is willing to pay fines and lose draft picks the NFL has no cap?

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Again, either obtuse or truculent.  You know it just does not work the same.  

Mechanics aren't the issue.

I accept your surrender.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Hooper had one drop last year! 
Yes he’s more of a football player.  Not plagued by drops, penalties and missed assignments. 

Njoku good red zone guy, good for a drop, missed block and a penalty seemingly every game he’s healthy 

Oh and he’s also 23 years old... they should form quite the TE duo for Baker, anyways.

Njoku needs to get better. I will agree on that. His ceiling is quite high though.

2 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Oh and he’s also 23 years old... they should form quite the TE duo for Baker, anyways.

Njoku needs to get better. I will agree on that. His ceiling is quite high though.

We've heard about this high ceiling but the fear is he reaches it somewhat in his next contract and not with us.  

Do you see us giving him his next contract?  

55 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

We've heard about this high ceiling but the fear is he reaches it somewhat in his next contract and not with us.  

Do you see us giving him his next contract?  

Idk, depends on whether or not he wants to be here. And how he performs this year.  As just about any potential free agent, he would be taking a pay cut by staying. 

3 hours ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Idk, depends on whether or not he wants to be here. And how he performs this year.  As just about any potential free agent, he would be taking a pay cut by staying. 

I think it is the opposite - it is whether we want him here.

He was drafted by a past regime and we just made someone in his position group the highest paid at the position.

2 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I think it is the opposite - it is whether we want him here.

He was drafted by a past regime and we just made someone in his position group the highest paid at the position.

Actually he was drafted by the first edition of this current regime... a Sashi pick. 

On 3/17/2020 at 1:42 PM, LondonBrown said:

I read a lot of Hoopers catches and yards came in garbage time 

he is better than what you think....i follow the falcons since i live here, he is a football player...unlike django or whatever his name is...dajuko....najango.....gm made a good move....njuko was very undisciplined....dropped passes...made a play here and there....hooper is better....

IMO, the highest paid TE in the league should be a better than average blocker as well as a very good receiver.  I mean, wouldn't it be nice if when your TE(s) were in the game the defense wasn't tipped off as to whether a pass or a run is coming.  Someone mentioned, "Just run another lineman out there if you want to run",  but that certainly tells the D what's coming.  And you're NEVER going to make a living throwing the ball to that tackle eligible guy.  We DO have a FB now (well, 2 of 'em if we're counting), so the blocking dynamic with TE's & a FB will be of interest.

Anyway....we have an expensive receiver corps.  We need a solid #3 receiver (and a decent #4) and we'll be good to go in the passing game (as long as someone can help out our new RT because the knock on him is that he needs help when pass blocking).

As for our pass catching TE's being much help to Chubb in the running game, I don't see it.  They'll probably be in his way more often than not.  But again, the FB feature may remove some of that by keeping one of them on the bench more often than not.

The last glaring need for the offense is LT.  I figure he'll be  coming in the draft where it won't cost the team a fortune for 3 or 4 years.  Which will leave just the RG spot to figure out what to do with.

AFTER THAT, then we can focus on getting some guys who can tackle people.  

11 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

We paid him way too much. Should of drafted a TE and signed Joe.

Have you looked at this TE class?

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Have you looked at this TE class?

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-Tight-Ends-2020-NFL-Draft.asp

9 hours ago, Orion said:

The last glaring need for the offense is LT. 

😱

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I need to borrow this for a minute, Woody...

7ohP4FeQn64NNqKskvZpZexnREfqXovC4Ho6jdBK

May I interpret for Orion?  Conklin

Now we have major flexibility on draft day.

EDIT: "As a sophomore, he started all 13 games at left tackle.[5] Conklin was selected as a 2015 First-Team All-American (Sporting News, USA Today) as well as the 2015 First-Team All-Big Ten (coaches, media).[6] During his career with the Spartans, Conklin started in 38 of his 39 career games (35 at left tackle, three at right tackle)." - Wiki       8th overall pick in the draft by Tenn. who already had Taylor Lewan at LT. Hence the move to RT.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-Tight-Ends-2020-NFL-Draft.asp

😱

Now we have major flexibility on draft day.

EDIT: "As a sophomore, he started all 13 games at left tackle.[5] Conklin was selected as a 2015 First-Team All-American (Sporting News, USA Today) as well as the 2015 First-Team All-Big Ten (coaches, media).[6] During his career with the Spartans, Conklin started in 38 of his 39 career games (35 at left tackle, three at right tackle)." - Wiki       8th overall pick in the draft by Tenn. who already had Taylor Lewan at LT. Hence the move to RT.

If Conklin goes to LT....then who starts for at at RT?    Back to Hubbard? 

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Bingo...

Again... for the hard-of-reading.... at Michigan State University 34 of Conklin's 39 starts were at LT.

When he arrived at TN Lewan was already a fixture at LT, so Conklin landed at RT.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

If Conklin goes to LT....then who starts for at at RT?    Back to Hubbard? 

So long as Hubbard is on our roster that remains a possibility. For all we know Callahan has looked at tape and said, "I can fix Hubbard."

Also true as someone pointed out to me a couple days ago that Hubbard could slide into RG. Even if he is not starter quality there, that kind of versatile adequacy at multiple positions is the stuff teams crave in their backups.

Finally... Conklin's arrival may end up not altering who we take at #10, but it takes the pressure off our FO to take an OT out of dire need. We can draft a Simmons or a Kinlaw if they are there as well as a Thomas, but we can also trade down with one of the teams competing to postiion themselves to draft the 3rd or 4th QB off the board.

And having traded down we can can still take a quality OT... a Jones or maybe even still land Thomas... or go another route and then look to Day 2 to find our RT.

A RT like UConn's Matt Peart.

One thing we know... whatever OT we draft we do not have to worry which side he may be restricted to playing... because we have Conklin.